Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

yesnow wrote: »
    What about Clann? And Ballaghaderreen's surely not the third largest town, especially if you're counting Monksland? Roscommon, Boyle, Castlerea all definitely a good bit bigger than Ballagh aswell.

Ballagh has a huge hinterland.
    It's 8km to Johnstown from Cushla
    There is no GAA club on the western side of the Shannon and my point is that there is enough of a population to get a junior football club going and Clann and Brigids will still pull players out to play

Best of luck to the panel tomorrow as they play their first competitive game of 2019 v Sligo

I'm looking forward to seeing a defensive structure, tight marking and an ability to physically match opponents, settled full and centre back positions and two proper midfielders on show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Really poor first half performance here. Started well but Sligo scored 1-7 without reply at one stage to lead 1-10 to 1-6 at half time.

Midfield has been shocking, no movement in forward line and O'Malley in goal has had a nightmare with his kickouts.

Sligo well deserving of lead, look quicker all over field.

Much improved in second half. Outside Pat Hughes who was introduced early in second half Roscommon managed to stifle most of Sligos attacking threat. Sligo still won a ton of second balls in midfield though.

Thought Killoran was best player for us. Enda Smith had a good second half and Colin Compton was excellent when he came on. He defended well, won breaking ball in midfield and was easily Roscommons best forward despite only being on the field 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

By "second ball" I presume you mean the breaking ball? If so, I totally agree. I've been knocking on about this for years, but it's a problem with Roscommon football that doesn't seem to be improving.

I've been thinking about it though after today and I noticied Fitzmaurice in particular, punched the ball with his fist as hard as he could which put the ball well outside the positioning of the surrounding Roscommon players. Compare that to Cathal Compton who breaks the ball towards the Roscommon players. It's only a small thing, but has huge consequences.

I thought Killoran was very good again and I think he needs to get loads of games and show some trust in him. He's very honest, quite physical and as he showed today has excellent kicking skills.

I thought Enda was very good also. Right throughout, which doesn't always happen.

The first half defecit was a little bit deceptive though. I'm fairly sure that Sligo had four handpasses in a row and the fourth recipient kicked a good point. The resulting kickout went straight to a Sligo player who was fouled for the penalty. There's the four point difference from a foul play. Plus there was a very strong wind in Sligo's favour.

O'Malley's kickouts in the first half were poor. Then when he just decided to thump them, Roscommon just couldn't win the breaking ball.

The new rules seem to have made the ref's job even harder. He missed four handpasses on more than one occasion and then whistled for a mark that was kicked inside the 45m line. He also whistled for another, then realised he shouldn't have and had to throw the ball up. Strangest of all, he seemed to whistle for a mark for a defender who caught a long ball clean. I thought it was only the attacking player got that benefit?

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    By "second ball" I presume you mean the breaking ball? If so, I totally agree. I've been knocking on about this for years, but it's a problem with Roscommon football that doesn't seem to be improving.

I've been thinking about it though after today and I noticied Fitzmaurice in particular, punched the ball with his fist as hard as he could which put the ball well outside the positioning of the surrounding Roscommon players. Compare that to Cathal Compton who breaks the ball towards the Roscommon players. It's only a small thing, but has huge consequences.

I thought Killoran was very good again and I think he needs to get loads of games and show some trust in him. He's very honest, quite physical and as he showed today has excellent kicking skills.

I thought Enda was very good also. Right throughout, which doesn't always happen.

The first half defecit was a little bit deceptive though. I'm fairly sure that Sligo had four handpasses in a row and the fourth recipient kicked a good point. The resulting kickout went straight to a Sligo player who was fouled for the penalty. There's the four point difference from a foul play. Plus there was a very strong wind in Sligo's favour.

O'Malley's kickouts in the first half were poor. Then when he just decided to thump them, Roscommon just couldn't win the breaking ball.

The new rules seem to have made the ref's job even harder. He missed four handpasses on more than one occasion and then whistled for a mark that was kicked inside the 45m line. He also whistled for another, then realised he shouldn't have and had to throw the ball up. Strangest of all, he seemed to whistle for a mark for a defender who caught a long ball clean. I thought it was only the attacking player got that benefit?
    you need two linesmen who can count

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

mighty result, always great to beat that shower

Very hard to know what to take from that honestly. Galway were horrendous with zero ambition and no urgency in their play at all. Without Comer to hit they had no Plan B.

Donie Smith was excellent, O'Malley assured in goal and Ronan Daly our best defender (still can't believe McStay dropped him off the panel last summer.

Good to get win but little to read into it for upcoming season. Killoran and Murray picking up injuries is last thing we need given squad is already stretched to its limit, only 7 players who started Connacht final were available today.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Very hard to know what to take from that honestly. Galway were horrendous with zero ambition and no urgency in their play at all. Without Comer to hit they had no Plan B.

Donie Smith was excellent, O'Malley assured in goal and Ronan Daly our best defender (still can't believe McStay dropped him off the panel last summer.

Good to get win but little to read into it for upcoming season. Killoran and Murray picking up injuries is last thing we need given squad is already stretched to its limit, only 7 players who started Connacht final were available today.

That's because many of them opted off or are gone travelling
    Great to see the defensive display
    We'll be a match for most Division 1 teams if we can keep scores down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Anyone see the new jersey?

I'm not impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why was the launch in maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

megadodge wrote: »
    Anyone see the new jersey?

I'm not impressed!

Fine looking Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Addle wrote: »
    Doesn't the shirt sponsor Sean Mulryan live in Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why not?

Probably the easiest location to get the few people together for the photo shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Same starting 15 as last weekend

its easier to get the media out to Kildare than down to Roscommon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

What atrocious conditions that game was played in, fair play to both teams. I walked across the pitch after the game and to call it a bog is being kind, desperate surface. As for the game, we lived to rue all the missed chances in the first half when we had the wind. The performance was very heartening, not standing off and not dropping the heads and giving up. It will be hard to stay up now though, a lot more tougher tests down the line, picking up points won't be simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Yeah kept battling till the end really. Gutsy stuff in those conditions. Didn't think we had enough on the scoreboard at end of first half. Think it was gone from us before the goal as mayos biggest defense was that wind but we kept going till the end. The team individually isint as good as last year personnel-wise but we can only select who is available. Ultán getting send off again was sloppy.

Why was Enda Smith on the frees in first half. I have followed his progress since a 16 year old on 2011 minors and outside the 'mark' against Sligo two weeks ago I can't remember him taking frees at intercounty level.

Donie Smith is a gifted footballer but his indiscipline has been a major weakness of his since under-age.

Realistically we needed 1-9 on the board at half time to face into that gale in the second half. I was puzzled by Enda on frees, Compton surely would have been a better option no?.. As for Donie, his needless indiscipline continues to blight his game. Could be in trouble and should have had more sense. Having said that Mayo are no angels, the carry on of o'shea and Boyle will be ignored by those wearing red and green tinted glasses.

• Advertisement

We're just not ruthless enough in front of goals.
    Same last week v Galway

Mayo seem to get a home town ref for every game in castlebar
    I still think we've a great chance of staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

On reflection difficult to know what to take out of that due to the conditions. Sure very little football played in that. No idea where we are reletively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

yabadabado wrote: »

Has Cox played with Roscommon yet? I see he has withdrawn transfer to Eire Og and going St Judes in Dublin instead.

No he hasn't played yet, neither has Keith Beirne.

GAA rules are quite complicated. They are saying Cox can't play for Roscommon this year if he transfers to another club so he has returned to Listowel. He becomes eligible again once he becomes Listowel player again.

Beirne doesn't have Roscommon parents so he must transfer to a Roscommon club and then play a championship game before becoming eligible to play for county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

GAA rules are quite complicated. They are saying Cox can't play for Roscommon this year if he transfers to another club so he has returned to Listowel. He becomes eligible again once he becomes Listowel player again.

Beirne doesn't have Roscommon parents so he must transfer to a Roscommon club and then play a championship game before becoming eligible to play for county.

Can Cox not play for Roscommon under the parentage rule?

Was there any truth behind the Keith Beirne rumour?

Gael85 wrote: »

He can but he can't change clubs unless he plays a club championship game with new club. Given he registered with Eire Og in Roscommon he now must return to former club
    blazermel wrote: »
    Was there any truth behind the Keith Beirne rumour?

Beirne like Cox and Carthy trained with county but he isn't eligible until he plays a club championship in Roscommon which probably rules him out of intercounty until 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Gael85 wrote: »
    He can now but apparently the parentage rule was no longer in place when he transferred to a Roscommon club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Big win today. The "expert" previewing the League a few weeks ago said Ross would get no points. Arguably deserved someting last week and got two today.

• Advertisement

Cox was very good today.
    Freetaking is crucial

Advertisement