Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options
1158159160161162164»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Looks like a competition to see how many halfbacks we can fit into the same team :)

Has Doyle dropped out of the panel altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rossie4ever

I thought Doyle has been injured. I could be wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

After the Mayo debacle I said I wasn't going to go today as a form of protest... but of course I ended up going. I wish I didn't change my mind.

The first half was simply a contiuation of the last day. Complete lack of urgency, no pace, careless in possession and absolutely no penetration.

At least in the second half they finally showed a bit of bite and urgency. Not that it made a whole lot of difference, as even when Roscommon got back to 3 points on more than one occasion, you just never felt that Kerry were not going to win.

Following on from a few posts I made recently, I have to be fair and say that Ultan Harney was very impressive when he came on. He brought much-needed strength and aggression around the middle and his ability to run directly at the opposition while not losing possession is a very important to Roscommon.

From a league point of view, here's hoping Derry put out a second-string side with one eye on the League final. It's clutching at straws, but you never know.

However, from a bigger picture, I'm worried. I can't understand how a side can deteriorate so much in a year and why so many quality players and two coaches walked away after a year that showed so much promise.

"The first half was simply a contiuation of the last day. Complete lack of urgency, no pace, careless in possession and absolutely no penetration.'

This has been the entire league campaign in a nutshell. Passive defence and jogging into contact with the ball in attack. So easy to play against, and hugely behind where we were in 23. The signs have been there since day 1, but many have chosen not to see it. The whole set up has fallen back (looking from the outside in obviously).

It's not gonna be easy to turn this around.

Good post. I'm finding it hard to be optimistic for us going forward into the championship. Does anyone know why McGovern and McHugh left the setup? Burke seems to be happy enough anyway from his interview after the game on the Sunday game last night.

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask does anyone know what are u20 team is like this year? Any potential? I see we are playing Mayo on Wednesday in the Hyde in the Connacht championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Mayo fan here so can't give much insight on the recent developments of your lads, but when the two sides met at minor in '21 ye gave us a right good hiding, 4-13 to 2-12 and the scoreline flattered us. Ye won pulling up.

No question they'll be in with a shout on Wednesday if they've kept half the group together & got some reasonable progression. We got blown away by the strength and physicality at midfield that day and even bringing in some very talented young lads from our '22 minor final side (wouldn't be surprised if we've a couple of u18s involved this year too along with a backbone of mostly u19s) that's an area we'll still be focusing on/worrying about come Wednesday (I'd know a lot of the lads involved to watch from club/previous underage and couldn't even begin to guess who from about 8 of them might be in the middle come throw-in).

Should be a cracking competition with the move to round-robin this year. All of Roscommon, Mayo, Galway and reigning champions Sligo (still not entirely sure how they beat Galway last year) will be fancying their chances I'd imagine.

At last they decided to the round robin last year. More games can only improve the players. I know last year our Minor team started poorly but improved with each game. Any standout players for Mayo at u20 this year?

A few solid runners (back and front) and some of the more exciting underage scorers we've seen in recent memory on our side so if they can live with that potential higher physicality (from you, Galway and Sligo) we'd be hoping to do well.

Niall Hurley alone can be worth the entrance fee if he catches form. I'd have fancied him making a fairly big impact for us at senior this year but guessing the S&C isn't quite there yet (tricky player, young O'Carroll-esque, so would probably take an awful lot of punishment when he gets thrown in there). Dara Hurley, Diarmuid Duffy, Darragh Reilly, Ronan Clarke, James Mahedy, Paul Gilmore, Sean Morahan, Conal Dawson, John MacMonagle and Tom O'Flaherty (along with Rio Mortimer, Yousif Coghill, Darragh Beirne and Tom Lydon just u18s) all lads I'd be hoping to push on in coming years and have senior potential from this lot.

Diarmuid Duffy started a league game for us at senior and played +90 minutes this year before dropping back to 20s a couple of weeks ago & Darragh Reilly played a challenge game for us early in the year (vs club all stars) making a nice late cameo. Tom, Sean & Conal would have been around the extended panel the last year or two and involved in the odd friendly/challenge game.

Darragh a relatively new name for us even here in Mayo as most of his recent years has been spent playing underage soccer for Ireland. Would have spent a lot of time from u15 to u17 with a well known Evan Ferguson (played left back on those teams iirc). Shows as a creative and decent scoring wing forward for his club so interesting to see how the new management team (a few well known names involved there) end up using him.

Notable only 4 of those mentioned (Tom, Conal, Sean and Darragh) in their final year of 20s, going to be a fairly young squad for us I'd guess.

Neither side has released the panels yet this year (Sligo the only Connacht side I've seen putting them out yet) when they normally come out ~week before the first game so still plenty of question marks bouncing around on both camps I'd imagine.

5.30on a Wednesday evening if fuckin nonsensical fixing of a game. Easy known gaa administration is dominated by the likes of school teachers and bankers that can finish work at 3pm if they are working at all these weeks. Making little of the competition and making little of family and spectators who might want to go to the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭rodmn2377

Heard Mc Hugh left as he felt he wasn't getting to do his job ie coaching the team as Burke likes to be involved in all aspects.... thought it made sense seen as Mc Hugh took up the club managers job in Galway a few months ago so his reason of too far of a distance doesn't hold up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Looking at the Mayo named U20 team, only a handful from the 2021 team and have opted for more from the 2022 minors, probably as expected as that team reached the AI final.

its worth noting Galway had a scheduling advantage for that Connacht U20 final last year. After overcoming Roscommon,Mayo that was Sligo's 3rd match in 14 days and Galway's 2nd match in 14 days beating just Leitrim on route. They will certainly fancy their chances with I believe having 15 of their U20s from last year still available for selection for this Connacht campaign.

Yeah, even got 5 of the '23 minors involved in the 24 selected as well. A very young panel.

There are a couple of the '21 starters out at the moment. Clarke, Maheady (though both part of that '22 minor side too) and Corless would all likely be starting again if available, but even that would only push it from 7 to 8 in their final year at the grade. No big shock as you mentioned, the '22 lads are showing well in 21s/senior, so there on merit and made it a real tough panel cut for some of the '21 lads (hopefully it pushes a few of them on, lads like Adam Beirne that didn't make it but with bags of potential).

Any word on how your lads are going?

Was gutted to hear of Colm Neary's injury. He looked fantastic in '21 and heard some rave reviews on more recent Strokestown performances, so sounds like he's progressing well. Heh, no doubt I'll be sick of the sight of him in a few years when he's broken my heart a few times!

I see Derry have named a strong team on Sunday. Can't see us winning on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It's their first choice team, some in the media that was suggesting Derry would play a B team was wide off the mark.

Post edited by blowitupref on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Suckler

In my opinion there's no escaping the defensive frailties of the league and McHugh's departure being linked.

Burke seems to be implementing an overall system irrespective of what they are facing. The stats from the Derry game and the Davy Burkes comments after seem like two different games. The results against Tyrone and Galway were glaring opportunities to have secured full points.

Sean Kavanagh described Roscommon as 'gone a bit soft'. I don't see a massive turnaround being made by championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Nope, I'm inclined to agree. It's difficult to see where an improvement will come. Especially since we don't seem to have fitness or mindset or both to stay with better teams in last few mins. Our forwards are no longer as accurate as they used to be either. Our scoring, outside the Monaghan game, hasn't been good.

Most definitely the games v Tyrone and Galway were 3 points left behind.

Advertisement