Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

On the club scene total farce that these “county cup” games being run off this weekend with the league pushed back till end of March. A lot of club players disgruntled with length of season and then the board move the start of the league to everyones agreement but then arrange the preseason tournament a whole month in advance of league starting meaning clubs are back training early either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

franglan wrote: »
    On the club scene total farce that these “county cup” games being run off this weekend with the league pushed back till end of March. A lot of club players disgruntled with length of season and then the board move the start of the league to everyones agreement but then arrange the preseason tournament a whole month in advance of league starting meaning clubs are back training early either way.
    It's pre-season for clubs
    What club players are not looking after themselves over the winter now?
    The pitches are in such good nick It'd be a crime not to play on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It's pre-season for clubs
    What club players are not looking after themselves over the winter now?
    The pitches are in such good nick It'd be a crime not to play on them

I agree.

These games are a bit of a cod, the competition is very much a distant 3rd after championship and league. They are going to be low intensity games, train if you want, or use the games to build fitness.

Lads will complain about anything.

All I'm saying is play them last two weeks in March before league starts that's all.

franglan wrote: »
    All I'm saying is play them last two weeks in March before league starts that's all.
    some clubs will take the league very seriously and need a week or two of training before it
    club players need more games (especially junior clubs) and here we are complaining about a few extra games

anyway, best of luck to the county team today
    any sort of a win would be welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Roscommon 3-10 to 0-12 down vs Cavan and Ultan Harney with another red card.

He’s picking up a lot of negative attention lately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Roscommon 3-10 to 0-12 down vs Cavan and Ultan Harney with another red card.

He’s picking up a lot of negative attention lately

Has probably cost Roscommon 3 points over his last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Fann Linn wrote: »

We were ****e today and would have lost anyway. Cavan the much better team and should have won by more. Brutal at midfield and our keeper cost us two goal. Sending off didnt help but to blame him for the loss is poor analasis

Fann Linn wrote: »

We were ****e today and would have lost anyway. Cavan the much better team and should have won by more. Brutal at midfield and our keeper cost us two goal. Sending off didnt help but to blame him for the loss is poor analasis

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Agree, we had it lost long before that. We could still be there now and we wouldn't win it. Zero intensity and way off the pace compared to the previous games. Very disappointing all round. Having said that Cavan were 100% full value for their win and were completely focused on the task at hand. Difficult assignment for us next week now!

• Advertisement

Is that 100% what the red card was given for? Clip isn't long enough to determine if any afters followed. I was at the stand side so had no clear view on it. If that's all it was then surely it will be appealed.

blazermel wrote: »
    Is that 100% what the red card was given for? Clip isn't long enough to determine if any afters followed. I was at the stand side so had no clear view on it. If that's all it was then surely it will be appealed.

Yes I was literally beside it and personally taught there was little more in it in normal time but still taught it was harsh but that is just disgraceful refereeing

Yes I was literally beside it and personally taught there was little more in it in normal time but still taught it was harsh but that is just disgraceful refereeing

A bit of a joke then, that's disgraceful. Surely will be recinded then based on that footage.

Were Ros 1 up when the red card was given for a non existent incident?

Prior reputation will follow you at county level and so ultan can expect a lot of biased treatment from referees and extra attention from opposition players

Were Ros 1 up when the red card was given for a non existent incident?

Prior reputation will follow you at county level and so ultan can expect a lot of biased treatment from referees and extra attention from opposition players

No we were two down when red happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

From the RTE highlights it looked as though the red card was given for an incident that occured just before this clip as the players ran towards the sideline from the middle of the field.
    It was hard to tell what happened as they didnt replay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

tanko wrote: »
    From the RTE highlights it looked as though the red card was given for an incident that occured just before this clip as the players ran towards the sideline from the middle of the field.
    It was hard to tell what happened as they didnt replay it.

Someone on twitter reckoned the same. Apparently the linesman brought it to the referees attention.

Someone on twitter reckoned the same. Apparently the linesman brought it to the referees attention.

Not true sunday game showed incident which if anything ultan was fouled with man on his back.
    Lineman hadnt a clue because after abusing him personally because I was yards away from incident he said nothing in it but I'm not the ref to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not true sunday game showed incident which if anything ultan was fouled with man on his back.
    Lineman hadnt a clue because after abusing him personally because I was yards away from incident he said nothing in it but I'm not the ref to myself

Right so. I wasn't at the game so I'm completely in the dark.

• Advertisement

the shove v Tyrone has relegated us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

I don't think it just comes down to that. We're not really good enough to compete at division 1 level just yet under Anthony. The result versus cavan and Galway were key indicator games.

Much more than that I'm afraid. Sure, we would have clung on if we had have taken 2 points against Tyrone but based on the last 4 games and in particular the lacklustre displays v Cavan and Galway we showed we're not at that level just yet. The players seemed to lack that fight that they had in abundance in earlier rounds of the league. 7 weeks to Leitrim now and plenty of work to be done! On a brighter note, fantastic to see Diarmuid return today, and looking sharp too. Great to see him return after a nasty injury. Onwards and upwards!

Ah sure another point against Tyrone would have kept us up and another year in the premier division - that's the ifs and buts and small margins, over the campaign I don't think we deserved to stay up really.

Right so. I wasn't at the game so I'm completely in the dark.

The terrible refereeing decision obviously played a factor but at end of the day were were miles off division one standard. Our last few games showed that even the seemingly winnable games against Galway and Cavan we were well beaten. The Cavan ref rode us and a horrendous decision is the difference but we simpley werent good enough

The terrible refereeing decision obviously played a factor but at end of the day were were miles off division one standard. Our last few games showed that even the seemingly winnable games against Galway and Cavan we were well beaten. The Cavan ref rode us and a horrendous decision is the difference but we simpley werent good enough
    This post was meant to quote the one about Tyrone game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i understand relegation is a balls and a half but to be fair roscommon were excellent in most of there games in the league , and a huge improvement on last year , the monaghan game though should be seen as a worse defeat then the tyrone one as it was probably the only game ye didnt turn up at all , cavan have gone from 3 to 2 to 1 with ye almost every year so a defeat to them away really is no surprise as they would know ye in side out

being a yoyo team is not a bad place to be in either at the moment ye have lost a good number of players and are probably too good for division 2 next year so every cloud as they say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

In the end only one point away from staying up will make relegation harder to take especially that overturned free with the last kick of the game v Tyrone but losing to Cavan and the manner of that defeat probably sealed the rossies faith as trying to beat Galway,Dublin and Kerry after that loss was between slim and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

In the end only one point away from staying up will make relegation harder to take especially that overturned free with the last kick of the game v Tyrone but losing to Cavan and the manner of that defeat probably sealed the rossies faith as trying to beat Galway,Dublin and Kerry after that loss was between slim and none.

i watched that game that evening with the tyrone commentary from sound cloud even they couldnt believe the decision , but to be fair two winnable games presented themselves after that and ye fell short , maybe ye should target certain games the next time ye go up . the likes of the monaghan and cavan ones for instance ,i dont think cunningham set up his team in this manner

ye are not going to go too far wrong though with the likes of murtagh and conor cox in yer full forward line ye will be fine next year dont worry lads ;)

for what its worth clare and the rossies played around this time 8 years ago in the hyde ,ye won by 5 i think .......it was in division 4 !!! ye have made serious progress since

• Advertisement

i understand relegation is a balls and a half but to be fair roscommon were excellent in most of there games in the league , and a huge improvement on last year , the monaghan game though should be seen as a worse defeat then the tyrone one as it was probably the only game ye didnt turn up at all , cavan have gone from 3 to 2 to 1 with ye almost every year so a defeat to them away really is no surprise as they would know ye in side out

being a yoyo team is not a bad place to be in either at the moment ye have lost a good number of players and are probably too good for division 2 next year so every cloud as they say.....

what games were you watching?
    the defence has disimproved alarmingly since the first few rounds of the league
    we've no midfield, O'Malley has better kickouts but has no presence in the goals under a high ball so Lavin with his garryowen kickouts is being used.
    our backs cannot actually mark 1 v 1 without fouling. our indiscipline has let us down all through the league with frees being moved forward and of course the Tyrone incident.
    when we do win the ball back, we've nobody up the field to kick pass the ball to, and we don't have enough players with an engine to get up from defence for 45+ minutes.
    our attack created so many goal chances in the first few games and were unable to take them which seems to be the reoccuring theme of this panel

Advertisement