Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2010, 22:11   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhac View Post
even if you are not fully born and bred Irish your still most welcome here on Boards
Thanks
Paul
Glad to see we have allowed foreigners on boards!

Boards is for everyone, no matter if they are from west clare, west yorkshire or west mars.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2010, 22:36   #797
Calibos

Ah, I don't think Paul meant anything there Wolfe. Taken in isolation that comment might be interpreted as "Ah sure we let the foreigners post here on boards" A bit patronising alright but in context with parts of MTCraniums post where he talks about his 50%English/50%Irish/50%Canadian background and not really knowing exactly what that makes him, then that changes the possible interpretations of Pauls comment. "Doesn't matter what you are MT, all are welcome on boards." ie. basically what you said in the last sentance of your post.

I agree with everything Paul said about MT. Quite often genius like MT's is accompanied by a dry cold personality and an almost asbergers narrow focus. "Just the facts Maam"

However MT seems like one of the lucky guys who is both a genius/weather wiz but with a normal everyman personality which shows in his postings. They are always a pleasure to read with all the facts you could wish for but with humour and wit thrown into the mix too.
(4) thanks from:
13-01-2010, 22:41   #798
inabina

M.T. you are a legend. I am addicted to your posts!
13-01-2010, 22:48   #799
kindredspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhac View Post
and even if you are not fully born and bred Irish your still most welcome here on Boards
Thanks
Paul
I presume what you've written has come across as more strident than what you meant. I hope we're not insular here. That's the problem with all forums, you don't get the intonation or the bodily gestures that amend the sense of direct words.
Thanks from:
13-01-2010, 23:05   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
Ah, I don't think Paul meant anything there Wolfe. Taken in isolation that comment might be interpreted as "Ah sure we let the foreigners post here on boards".
Point taken calibos and kindred. Paul's comment I am sure was in good taste. And yes MT is the bees knees, whether that be an Africanised Honey Bee or a European Honey Bee
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 00:27   #801
snow ghost

M.T.

What hotel lounge in Westport were you in? I'll have a pint in there and be sure to mention to everyone about the esteemed guest from Canada that graced the premises... moreover I'm pleased to know that Westport inspired you to reach the world cup finals of weather forecasting... and at the moment you're winning 5-1.

Btw, if you want to come to Ireland sooner, be assured there will be a mulitude of friends over here who will be more than glad to show you some Irish hospitality in gratitude for your excellent contributions here.

Keep up the good work, and fair play to you... you're the Pele of metereology
(4) thanks from:
14-01-2010, 00:34   #802
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeIRE View Post
Boards is for everyone, no matter if they are from west clare
I suppose you will want a weather forum "Willie Week" next. Good luck with that one
14-01-2010, 01:16   #803
paulhac

Lads, I meant nothing bad in my post to M.T. and didn't mean to upset anybody by the unintensionally implied reference to Irishness being required to post on Boards.ie. I didn't intend it to sound patronising or insular either.
14-01-2010, 01:17   #804
M.T. Cranium

Somewhat OTT, some of this commentary, my self-esteem may actually reach near normal values if this keeps up.

Knowing how the weather gods feel about reputations, maybe I should quit while I'm supposedly ahead. Must confess that I am not by nature very competitive (with met.ie or anyone else), really, I've been around this forecasting long enough to know that we're all to some extent held hostage to the technology, if the models are wrong, it would take a clairvoyant act to anticipate it. But most forecast errors are human failings to interpret model guidance, at least in the first day or two of a forecast.

I don't know what hotel in Westport, it's a minor miracle I can recall the names of towns this far along. It was on the south side of the road into town, how's that? Or the sea side if it curves around. I hope they've acquired a new chef since 1978.

Glad to be compared to Pele and not Maradona for reasons that should be obvious, but in reality perhaps Nobby Stiles? I have played some football although calling it soccer, but nevertheless, was considered useful at times -- in fact, should have pursued it rather than science, looking at the salaries.

The stuff about being some part Irish is of course, one of those odd points that can never totally be discerned, in today's world of blending or perhaps not so blending ethnicity. And I live in a country where blending ethnicity is almost like a state religion of some kind. But I didn't mention this, my "formative years" were spent quite frequently in company of an Irish family who maintained a traditional Irish sort of home (I verified this by visiting, but it was pretty obvious even to the sort of dull perception of the average 1960s teenager). So to that extent, I "grew up in Ireland" except on a very small scale, like part of my time in one home.

I also played many rounds of golf in the late 1990s with an Irishman by the name of Alfie McGuirk who hailed from Cork, and sadly passed away rather suddenly about ten years ago; I believe he got back there in time to be buried there, and if I could figure out how, I would like to visit that spot. That might take a bit of doing though. Alfie had about as much personality as any other twenty people in a room, and it doesn't seem that exceptional a thing among the Irish, I don't hold to stereotypes that much, but it's a land that loves the sort of texture of the language, I must confess that perhaps my real reason for being here is that it gives me that chance to be in contact with this Irish world-view that doesn't fade out even with the second generation as I have observed with the kids of that family from Ireland.

I think I've heard it said, as bad as Ireland is, everywhere else is worse.
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-01-2010, 01:31   #805
snow ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
I don't know what hotel in Westport, it's a minor miracle I can recall the names of towns this far along. It was on the south side of the road into town, how's that? Or the sea side if it curves around. I hope they've acquired a new chef since 1978.
Ah but who could forget Westport M.T.

As for the hotel - there are a few roads into town so unfortunately to my utmost distress and horror it looks like I'll have to just have a pint in all of them so if I'm posting st*te - or rather even more than usual - in the early hours of Saturday morning, it wasn't my fault!

Last edited by snow ghost; 14-01-2010 at 01:37. Reason: They made me do it... the voices
Thanks from:
14-01-2010, 01:40   #806
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow ghost View Post
Ah but who could forget Westport M.T.
You would not recognise it from 1978 , it has acquired about 20 large hotels for starters but it has incidentally produced 100% of all the Medical Botox in the whole world since M.T was there

Westport is sort of everywhere now!!!
Thanks from:
14-01-2010, 01:51   #807
snow ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
You would not recognise it from 1978 , it has acquired about 20 large hotels for starters but it has incidentally produced 100% of all the Medical Botox in the whole world since M.T was there

Westport is sort of everywhere now!!!
I would recognise it Sponge Bob... most of it's been here since the 1700's when Lord Sligo planned it out... it's had a bit of botox since but it didn't really need it... the beauty remains the same.
Thanks from:
14-01-2010, 02:08   #808

MT
From the time you started doing forecasts on boards, I have been amazed at how accurate you are considering how many variables there are in Irish weather. I was always wondering what your background was and enjoyed so much reading your post letting us know a little bit of background to the great man. Thanks for all your hard work, it certainly is appreciated by so many on boards.
Thanks from:
14-01-2010, 02:50   #809
Danno

Nice posts MTC, thoroughly enjoyed reading them. I guess there will be a big Boards Weather Beers Up sometime in Westport over the next 5 years! Do let us know, we can organise a right seisúin sp.

As for the next two weeks weather, it is very hard to call at this stage. I have a feeling though that we will get another crack of cold before a mild last week of January, followed by a very cold February, though I suspect a more dry February overall with the chance of a white Valentines. Slight mild spell there after before another snowblast in the last few days which will lead to a cold snowy first half of March, not improving until after Patricks Day.

No science behind this, just gut feeling and matching some past trends. Danno.
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2010, 04:21   #810
M.T. Cranium

If anyone doesn't already know this, Danno is the man for monthly outlooks, he topped the 2009 contest (and yours truly was about dead last, although showing some signs of life in December).

I've respectfully got to ask for a recount on some of this conversation, and perhaps re-state a bit more directly that these forecasts and thread suggestions all reflect a considerable amount of shared thinking that I've culled from the resident and longer-time weather gurus here. In fact, it may all come down to that on some occasions. My role in this enterprise may be more limited than you're saying. It has been a concept of mine to share this forecasting around the circle too, the time difference is really my biggest asset because for anyone else to make these forecasts so early in the day, they would have to disrupt their normal schedules and I can't reasonably expect anyone to do that, so you'd more likely be getting somebody's six-hour-old views from an earlier model run and in many cases while systems were well offshore and not showing their true colours.

But there definitely has been a lot of input from other people on this forum, whether they know it or not (I read as much as I can in all threads of interest, perhaps not the ones about the water not running although I sympathize). I also like to make lightning raids on other forums here and see if I can disrupt international relations between Canada and Ireland on fronts other than the atmospheric.

Have all those odd noises come to an end?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion