Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False rape accusation...who would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But this whole thread is basically that. Nobody knows if a accusation is true or not unless a person actually witnesses it. But the OP is asking people who they would believe... probably asking them what their intuition is from thier experience.

I agree tho. On such a serious matter it does not seem right to speculate

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

ittakestwo wrote: »
    But this whole thread is basically that. Nobody knows if a accusation is true or not unless a person actually witnesses it. But the OP is asking people who they would believe... probably asking them what their intuition is from thier experience.

I agree tho. On such a serious matter it does not seem right to speculate

I was not replying to the OP and neither were you.

Defunkd wrote: »
    I was not replying to the OP and neither were you.

The point is that this thread is a speculative thread, do you agree or not?

Earlier I said I had no idea of the statistics of false accusations convictions to the amount of actual rape convictions but speculated it was very low. Then you said well then your opinion is not worth much.... but nobody's opinion is therefore worth anything on this thread as nobody has an idea of those statistics .... unless you do??

This thread is a speculative thread... you can tell that by its title.

The point is that this thread is a speculative thread, do you agree or not?

Earlier I said I had no idea of the statistics of false accusations convictions to the amount of actual rape convictions but speculated it was very low. Then you said well then your opinion is not worth much.... but nobody's opinion is therefore worth anything on this thread as nobody has an idea of those statistics .... unless you do??

This thread is a speculative thread... you can tell that by its title.
    The two cases i posted about aren't speculation, they are factual and this is the only thread relating to false rape accusations.
    You introduce the ratio aspect; admit you don't know it (if only there were some way to search for such information *wink) and then say that speculation is okay. I can't argue against that line of thinking!

The two cases i posted about aren't speculation, they are factual and this is the only thread relating to false rape accusations.
    You introduce the ratio aspect; admit you don't know it (if only there were some way to search for such information *wink) and then say that speculation is okay. I can't argue against that line of thinking!

The thread title is ''False rape accusation...who would you believe?'' That is a speculative question.

The number of convictions for rape compared to the number of convictions of a false allegation of rape would give an indication of the percentage of rape accusations that are made up.

I would guess its low and nobody here has statistics on it. You have trawled the internet and have found two cases of a false rape accusation in a different jurisdiction which again suggest a false rape accusations as being uncommon as presumably you would be referencing false rape convictions in Ireland to push your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Many of those accused of a sexual offence would not find it easy to definitively prove an accusation was false.

Also, a lot of people seem to feel uncomfortable with people being prosecuted for this.
    So public prosecutors may often not bring such cases, and juries may be reluctant to convict.

I imagine what often happens is if there is good evidence that an allegation is false, this is presented before it gets to trial and the sexual assault process stops and nothing much happens to the person who made the false accusation.

So I imagine the percentage of false allegations that lead to convictions against those making the allegations is relatively small compared to the total number.

The thread title is ''False rape accusation...who would you believe?'' That is a speculative question.

The number of convictions for rape compared to the number of convictions of a false allegation of rape would give an indication of the percentage of rape accusations that are made up.

I would guess its low and nobody here has statistics on it. You have trawled the internet and have found two cases of a false rape accusation in a different jurisdiction which again suggest a false rape accusations as being uncommon as presumably you would be referencing false rape convictions in Ireland to push your agenda.

K

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicestershire-police-missed-evidence-proving-1163633.amp

Teenage boy (15) accused of raping his girlfriend. FB messages where he apologised for hurting her were used by Crown Prosecution Services as evidence against him and an acknowledgement of guilt. CPS were given thousands of messages by defence that showed it was a consensual relationship and his apologies were for ignoring her. CPS/Police ignored them and continued with prosecution. A clusterfcuk of a situation that went on about 2 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well a little googling got me these results.

Kerry woman given suspended sentence for making false rape claim. Cheats on boyfriend and then cries rape to cover it up. Two and a half years suspended sentence.

Woman who was angry at a man and said “You messed with the wrong person, I’ll get you sorted out.” alleged he raped her in a city centre pub toilet.
    The man was never arrested but was interviewed by gardaí during an extensive investigation. He had not been in the city that night and recovery of large amount of CCTV disproved the allegation.

Woman jailed for 3 years for making false rape claim. This is very much an outlier, the usual sentence from what I can see is a suspended sentence with no other penalty.

Joint Trinity College and London Metropolitan University study in 2009 estimates that 9% of rape claims in Ireland are false.

And two more of the most infamous cases that come to mind.

In 1997 Michael Hannon falsely accused and convicted of the rape of 10 year old Una Hardester. This was as a result of a land dispute between the two families. She recanted her testimony 10 years later. Here is Kevin Myers take on the difference between the feminist reaction to it and other cases. I think the last sentence in the article is apposite. For those that can’t bring themselves to read any article of his without having an attack of the vapours, here is the final paragraph.
    Now, we can be quite certain if a woman had been so gravely wronged by the State in some matter relating to sexual crime, that the feminist sirens, media and quangos alike, would have been howling in anger, and demanding enquiries and heads. But in the aftermath of this case, nothing: the sirens remained as quiet as a mountain lake. For the victim is a man, so really, the injustice done to him really doesn't count. Not in 1997, not today, and no doubt, not in 2019 either.

Brenda Power in the Sunday Times article referencing the Michael Hannon and other cases. It's behind a paywall but I will c & p some of the most relevant bits.
    A survey tracing the trajectory from complaint to conviction in rape cases turned up an unexpectedly timely statistic last week. Just a day after Michael Feichin Hannon had a 10-year-old conviction for sexual assault quashed, after his supposed victim admitted she'd made the whole thing up, the study of attrition in rape cases found we had the highest rate of false allegations of all the European countries studied.

Some 100 reported rapes in each of 11 different countries were examined. As well as having the highest rate of false complaints, at 9%, we also had one of the lowest rates of convictions for reported rapes, at just 8%, compared with 34% in Hungary. Paul O'Mahony, a criminologist in Trinity College Dublin, said attrition in sexual violence cases is a serious problem across Europe and suggested that the main obstacle to more successful convictions in this country may be "under-prosecution".

There is, of course, another possible reason why just eight of the 100 men accused in these Irish cases were convicted. Hard though it is to believe, there has to be the chance that some of the other 92 were innocent. Since the survey seems to take separate account of cases that failed for lack of evidence, or because the main witness withdrew her testimony, these are not counted as "false allegations". There's an implied presumption, in other words, that the men implicated were guilty and would have been bang to rights if only the victim had held her nerve or the forensics were a bit stronger. With some more robust "over-prosecution", then, the weaknesses of the forensic case could have been overcome and a conviction achieved solely on the word of the victim. Which is exactly what happened to Michael Feichin Hannon.

She also references the EU Daphne II project (2004 - 2008) aimed at preventing violence against women and children and protecting victims and at risk groups.
    For some reason, an unusually high number of Irish women are prepared to report rapes that never happened. To find that reason we might have to look at another statistic thrown up by the EU Daphne II project, some 88% of Irish men and 84% of women in rape cases had alcohol in their system. In Portugal, just 15% of victims been drinking.

A few years ago, the sexual-assault clinic in the Rotunda Hospital reported a worrying number of young women were presenting themselves on a Monday morning with no recollection of what they'd done the previous night. They couldn't remember having sex, let alone the trauma of a rape, but they couldn't be sure. In fact, many were found not to have engaged in any sexual activity the night before. Yet the fact that they attended a "sexual assault" clinic suggests they were perfectly prepared to make a criminal allegation, if it turned out they had indeed had sex.

They were not prepared to let a little thing like the fact that they had no recollection of any crime, no attendant distress and no physical injury deter their pursuit of the belief that they had been assaulted. If the clinic hadn't been able to clear up their drunken suspicions, there's every chance they would have made an allegation against an innocent, if equally drunken, man that put him at risk of a life sentence and, at best, a tainted reputation.
    I wasn't aware of this, or had forgotten it. :eek:
    Hannon was found guilty, even though he had no previous convictions and there was no forensic evidence against him. His job, his good name, his family's standing in the Galway community where they'd lived for generations were all sacrificed to a lack of scepticism about the curiously precocious evidence of a 10-year-old girl.

Nobody doubts that "under prosecution" of rape, fear and intimidation of victims and forensic shortcomings have all left rapists on the loose. But "over-prosecution" flies in the face of one of the central tenets of our legal system, which is that it is better that 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be prosecuted in zealous error. Unless, of course, political correctness decrees that this protection doesn't extend to men accused of rape.

There was also the case of Nora Wall who along with Paul (Pablo) McCabe was wrongfully convicted of rape. She was the first woman convicted of rape in Irish courts. She was released and eventually settled a claim for damages in 2016.

I know these last two cases aren't at all recent but I think it's good to have a reminder as I forgot a lot of details about those cases. Especially as they happened before this thread started.

Finally, look at these cases again with all the furore over the recent Rugby and “knickers “ cases, safe in the knowledge that Oliver Flanagan is kowtowing to the feminist lobby that wants to have anonymity for defendants taken away.

To paraphrase Brenda Powers view of one of the central tenets of our legal system. Is it better that 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be prosecuted (or publicly named and shamed) in zealous error? Unless of course political correctness decrees that this protection doesn't extend to men accused of rape.

We will soon know the answer to that.

^^^ There was another conviction in Kerry last year also. Woman claimed she was raped by non-national wearing green hoodie.
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/killorglin-woman-made-false-rape-allegation-sentenced-next-year/
    Gardai did a serious amount of work tracing the accused, obtaining his clothing as evidence but found no traces or evidence.
    She persisted with the story until Gardai presented her with cctv stills they found of her going into a carpark with a different guy for consensual fun.
    She was given a suspended sentence last year.

• Advertisement

More tragic case...

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/29/mother-of-teen-who-hanged-himself-over-false-rape-allegations-commits-suicide-6037994/amp/

Teenage boy (17) falsely accused of rape* never got over the trauma of it and committed suicide.
    His mother, went into a downward spiral, and killed herself around his first anniversary. Even used the same rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

More tragic case...

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/29/mother-of-teen-who-hanged-himself-over-false-rape-allegations-commits-suicide-6037994/amp/

Teenage boy (17) falsely accused of rape* never got over the trauma of it and committed suicide.
    His mother, went into a downward spiral, and killed herself around his first anniversary. Even used the same rope.

I hope the accuser never sleeps soundly again.

Her disgusting act took two lives. Pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

In prison, yes.

I don't have evidence to back this up but I firmly believe there is a HELL of a lot more false rape accusations out there and a hell of lot of innocent men in jail today and most definitely in the past.

py2006 wrote: »
    In prison, yes.

I don't have evidence to back this up but I firmly believe there is a HELL of a lot more false rape accusations out there and a hell of lot of innocent men in jail today and most definitely in the past.

Not just in prison. In general

Feel free to start another thread and post the incidences of men raping men all you want but this thread is about false rape accusations.

I cheerfully withdraw that comment if it is considered backseat-modding by a mod.

Feel free to start another thread and post the incidences of men raping men all you want but this thread is about false rape accusations.

I cheerfully withdraw that comment if it is considered backseat-modding by a mod.

No the thead is about who you would believe. The piont that you are more likely to know a man that has been raped than been falsely accused of rape gives a great indication of just how rare a false accusation is..... And I know you are trying to claim otherwise by linking every case of false rape throughout the world. A person reading this thread might actually think to be falsely accused of rape is a common occurence which it isn't. Extreamly rare in fact.

No the thead is about who you would believe. The piont that you are more likely to know a man that has been raped than been falsely accused of rape gives a great indication of just how rare a false accusation is..... And I know you are trying to claim otherwise by linking every case of false rape throughout the world. A person reading this thread might actually think to be falsely accused of rape is a common occurence which it isn't. Extreamly rare in fact.
    Judge Kavanaugh, Jackson/Olding, those 2 Kerry women convicted last year and all the other recent cases that are being posted...rare indeed.

Judge Kavanaugh, Jackson/Olding, those 2 Kerry women convicted last year and all the other recent cases that are being posted...rare indeed.

Yeah extreamly rare.

You could find 2 convictions of a false rape accusation in this jurisdiction ... is that all??? You know Ireland has 4.8 million people.

Yeah extreamly rare.

You could find 2 convictions of a false rape accusation in this jurisdiction ... is that all??? You know Ireland has 4.8 million people.
    Well, i've only started posting in the last few days and there is a person distracting me... and i have a life beyond this site. But have patience, there is more to come.

Would you like to share any thoughts on the cases presented so far? If not, our interaction on this thread is finished.

• Advertisement

Well, i've only started posting in the last few days and there is a person distracting me... and i have a life beyond this site. But have patience, there is more to come.

Would you like to share any thoughts on the cases presented so far? If not, our interaction on this thread is finished.

What is the piont in linking any false rape accusation that you can find on througout the world on this thread. The thead topic is not about that. It is who would you believe or to discuss which is more likely, a true accusation or a false accusation of rape. As somebody already linked a study in Ireland estimated that 10% of rape accusation are false.

So there you go. If you hear a person has made an accusation of rape and knowing nothing else there would be a 90% chance it was true accusation and 10% chance it was a false accusation. Obviously the posters here obsessed with just posting the false accusation storys won't agree with that Irish study as it goes against the agenda they are pushing.

BTW I have no interest in discussing individual cases of rape/false rape accusations of people I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The number of people brought to trial and convicted may be low but that does not mean the amount of false accusers out there is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A precedent needs to be set.

The next false accuser should be prosecuted under Perverting the course of Justice, Perjury and Wasting Police time.

Only then will we stop hearing these horror stories.

Victimhood has been turned into a currency and it's only natural that wicked people will take advantage of that.

Not only does it destroy the lives of the falsely accused but it is also a grave insult to actual victims of horrific crimes such as Rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

That article seems quite bias.
    The stats for anything that show false allegations are all based on what was court determined. However when it comes to suggesting how many rapes actually happen, it changes its methodology into just asking people.

It then has three paragraphs remind the reader that just because a person was found not guilty, doesn't mean they are innocent, n elaborates more on that about testimony withdrawal.

It never suggests slightly the same leanings towards false allegations. You can't possible compare court proven data for one side and surveys on the other. The data is incomparable n skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

py2006 wrote: »
    The number of people brought to trial and convicted may be low but that does not mean the amount of false accusers out there is the same.

+1 , theres many a small town in Ireland where the local gossip will have told everyone 'yer man over there, he raped my mate' A court doesnt need to be involved to sour anything.

You also have to remember that the ones that end up in court have already passed a plausability test for the case to have even been brought. Many women have gone to the gardai only upon investigation for it to have been impossible to have happened and no more is said about it.

A case that is still running because of fallout from a false rape allegation. This reads like fiction but what i've learned so far...

Man and woman going out.
    Man breaks up with her.
    Weeks later she accuses him of rape.
    Man provides police with evidence that it was a consensual relationship.
    Investigators willfully ignore said evidence.

Trial set but CPS drop case when they become aware of said evidence.
    Man presses for a case to be taken against woman for wrongfully accusing him.
    Woman accused of perverting the course of justice.
    3 days before the hearing she commits suicide.

Later...
    Father of woman accuses man of raping his daughter - without naming him - in publications (before this, the DPP sent the father a letter saying that the woman's evidence and actions weren't in harmony and that she was motivated by revenge).
    Man sues Father for libel (£1) and to get him to stop saying his daughter was raped.

Two investigators who ignored evidence and proceeded with the case are investigated and the Police are fined £10,000.

In the libel case, Judge accuses man of "vengefulness" saying he shouldn't have been preoccupied with clearing his name by bringing (£1) libel action (and 25% of legal costs) against father of Woman. Says there were other considerations that he should have been mindful of...Judge awards costs in region of £400,000 against man.

If you're still reading and aren't lost, his blog is https://www.accused.blog/?m=1. He has posted some official documents from the case.

His name is Alexander Economou if you want to google for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Jeez, that's an horrific tale of woe.

Talk about being left down by the legal system - Woeful!!

The Dún Laoghaire TD said there is “good work” happening in some third-level institutions in relation sexual harassment and violence and that “minimum standards” will be put in place. An expert group, established last October, is due to make recommendations on the issue in the coming weeks.

“We certainly need to do something, it is a reality that there is sexual harassment and violence on our campuses and we have the numbers,” she said.

“For example when I did visit the sexual assault trauma unit here in Dublin, what was reported to me that just under 40 per cent of people presenting at that sexual assault trauma unit were students.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/international-women-s-day-becoming-a-chance-to-skive-off-minister-1.3817752

I wonder are we going to end up with something like the kangaroo courts in US colleges where defendants are often at a big disadvantage with not the same rights as in criminal cases.

UCD issues apology after computer science students were sent email asking to help develop sex consent app
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ucd-apology-4537893-Mar2019/

• Advertisement

LIVING IN FANTASY
    Fantasist, 27, jailed for 10 years for falsely accusing 15 men of rape and sexual assault loses appeal against conviction
    Jemma Beale's string of bogus claims resulted in one of the accused spending seven years behind bars
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8741509/fantasist-jailed-falsely-accusing-men-rape-appeal/

Advertisement