Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False rape accusation...who would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I guess there's no real proof one way or another, but I do have my own personal opinion based on a few of her word choices.

But, that doesn't really matter as it should be treated just like any kind of story online, and not another stick to beat our boys with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Not a clear-cut case. Also, no individual was explicitly named. But I thought some might find it of interest.
    Maine student wins court battle over 'rapist in school' note
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50171701
    She and two other girls were suspended for three days on 4 October after officials determined the behaviour constituted bullying.

The district's investigation revealed that one male student felt targeted by the notes and was ostracised by his peers, forcing him to miss classes.
    In an interview with CBS, Aela said her note was never intended to single out anyone as a rapist, but was rather highlighting the issue of sexual assault.
    I'm not sure how credible this is given the note said: "There's a rapist in the school and you know who it is."
    ---
    If she believes a particular person is a rapist, she should report it to the police.

Law body seeks reform over consent claim in rape trials
    Men should not be allowed defence they ‘honestly believed’ woman consented to sex
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/law-body-seeks-reform-over-consent-claim-in-rape-trials-1.4076135
    It also recommends restricting the range of circumstances a jury can consider when the defence of reasonable belief has been raised.

The only issues that should be considered are whether the man had a physical, mental or intellectual disability, or mental illness, which meant he lacked the capacity to understand whether the woman was consenting.
    The commission recommended that the law should not be changed in regard to self-induced intoxication. An accused cannot claim they lacked the capacity to understand if the alleged victim was consenting because of self-induced intoxication.

iptba wrote: »

That's a worrying reform. What other defense is there but if the man thinks the woman consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

LCTD wrote: »
    All this can't be good for young men's mental health... already they are being hit with an constant barrage of 'consent' in the media while having to put up with women wearing next to nothing in public... in Arab countries women are forced to cover themselves up and quite frankly I can see why given what's happening here. Women can't claim it's comfortable to wear such skimpy/tight clothes so why are they sexualising themselves, surely some of the responsibility lies with them... if you're looking for attention that much, prepare for some of it to be bad.

Extend that to being naked then and reverse the roles

and if I've got a cops uniform on people won't react differently huh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That's a worrying reform. What other defense is there but if the man thinks the woman consent?

It's a very tricky one. But the objective test is more just. If the accused honestly believed that consent was present but a reasonable person wouldn't then that should be the test.

But in most cases it probably be shown that consent was present. It's only in cases where the belief was tainted that it will come in to play.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It's a very tricky one. But the objective test is more just. If the accused honestly believed that consent was present but a reasonable person wouldn't then that should be the test.

But in most cases it probably be shown that consent was present. It's only in cases where the belief was tainted that it will come in to play.

I doubt that very much. Every change comes in as being reasonable and only to be used in certain situations... over time though, that restriction is expanded. It's a slippery slope and TBH it isn't needed. It's removing power from the courts to decide by implementing more rules. Wait for the next rule, and the next. Nope. I don't like it in the slightest.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Extend that to being naked then and reverse the roles

and if I've got a cops uniform on people won't react differently huh ?

I'm kind of wondering what you mean and I'm kind of wondering about what the poster means? :P

On an unrelated note, a naked women is nice/sexual/so on so forth, but a clothed women is a bigger deal. You can go to a nude beach and see how it stops being a big deal.

But, when high heels put the feet into orgasim position and the butt at a heigtened elevation, a v neck creates a rolled back shoulder raised chest which has sexual conontations, and eye make up can have interesting effects on various levels, then you can hardly complain about men 'objectifying' when most outfits are in fact advertising sexual stimuli.

It's the same if a guy had a good bulge, tight shirt, showing a little bit of chest hair, or mascara to narrow the eyes to bedroom eyes.

I doubt that very much. Every change comes in as being reasonable and only to be used in certain situations... over time though, that restriction is expanded. It's a slippery slope and TBH it isn't needed. It's removing power from the courts to decide by implementing more rules. Wait for the next rule, and the next. Nope. I don't like it in the slightest.

Times are changing. This generation is raised on this thought and there will be a backlash like all other generations.

As a sidenote, I am curious why you are so into it? I don't think China has this weird men as dogs philophy?

Times are changing. This generation is raised on this thought and there will be a backlash like all other generations.

As a sidenote, I am curious why you are so into it? I don't think China has this weird men as dogs philophy?

Why? Because I'm Irish, and I won't live in China much longer. I've been in Aisa almost 12 years now, and I'm fast reaching the end of my enjoyment for China. Amazingly interesting country but I'd rather not be here when the nationalism goes into full swing. I would like to live in Europe again, but the changes in law make it rather unappealing. I'm a white male, single and in my 40's. While I have no serious interest in marriage, I am active in dating.

The way Western society and the law is going, being a single male with an active healthy interest in women is becoming risky. While I've never had any problems with the women I've dated, there's no guarantee that will stay the same, considering the way things are going. The Metoo movement has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

Why? Because I'm Irish, and I won't live in China much longer. I've been in Aisa almost 12 years now, and I'm fast reaching the end of my enjoyment for China. Amazingly interesting country but I'd rather not be here when the nationalism goes into full swing. I would like to live in Europe again, but the changes in law make it rather unappealing. I'm a white male, single and in my 40's. While I have no serious interest in marriage, I am active in dating.

The way Western society and the law is going, being a single male with an active healthy interest in women is becoming risky. While I've never had any problems with the women I've dated, there's no guarantee that will stay the same, considering the way things are going. The Metoo movement has a lot to answer for.

Eh, you'll be grand. Socially male sexuality is looked down on and that is annoying, but it really doesn't effect the older gentlemen that much. Once your over the age of thirty I don't think you'll be not quite as much regulated, and you will just have to watch your ps and qs at work and not use it as dating. Just keep your head down and don't get dragged into other people's issues.

On another note, in China you are the 'whore/foreign man', but at home you are the 'madonna/local man'. So, there will be more regulation at home vs abroad and I imagine the chinese men are also regulated in the same way the chinese women are regulated by the men. It's just the way humans are that they want a 'whore' and a 'madonna'.

There's also plenty of countries in Europe which find me too ridiculous. France, Italy, all of Central Europe outside of Germany, and other countries. Tbh, I don't really let this bull**** effect me outside of venting online. Just move on, realise everybody has their own issues and just live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i doubt you would need to write off a whole continent but if you are a guy on the up , not dating where you work might need to be one of your rules. in the US it seems like dating in college can be problematic unless you are careful.

i treat it like a joke at work, if certain lighthearted situations happen and one of the women at work try to get me to chip in, i just say "in the age of metoo I couldnt possibly comment", i normally get the "ah no we're cool! yada yada. i have never done closed door meetings with a female colleague though and i wouldnt travel with a female colleague now which i have done in the past , now its "Mike Pence" rule all the way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Eh, you'll be grand. Socially male sexuality is looked down on and that is annoying, but it really doesn't effect the older gentlemen that much. Once your over the age of thirty I don't think you'll be not quite as much regulated, and you will just have to watch your ps and qs at work and not use it as dating. Just keep your head down and don't get dragged into other people's issues.

I don't agree. I know two European males who were in their 30's falsely accused of raping women they went on dates with. They managed to be cleared of the charges but their lives were essentially ruined in the areas they lived in, and needed to move.

Things are changing far too much, for anyone to be comfortable.
    On another note, in China you are the 'whore/foreign man', but at home you are the 'madonna/local man'. So, there will be more regulation at home vs abroad and I imagine the chinese men are also regulated in the same way the chinese women are regulated by the men. It's just the way humans are that they want a 'whore' and a 'madonna'.

huh? Chinese culture doesn't work that way for Chinese people nor is it applied equally to foreigners.
    There's also plenty of countries in Europe which find me too ridiculous. France, Italy, all of Central Europe outside of Germany, and other countries. Tbh, I don't really let this bull**** effect me outside of venting online. Just move on, realise everybody has their own issues and just live your life.

Again, this craziness has moved beyond the internet and nutjobs. It's made it into the governments and legal circles. Pretending that it hasn't isn't going to improve anything. That's already been tried. That's how we've managed to get the current situation... repeating the belief that common sense will prevail. It hasn't

silverharp wrote: »
    i doubt you would need to write off a whole continent but if you are a guy on the up , not dating where you work might need to be one of your rules. in the US it seems like dating in college can be problematic unless you are careful.

i treat it like a joke at work, if certain lighthearted situations happen and one of the women at work try to get me to chip in, i just say "in the age of metoo I couldnt possibly comment", i normally get the "ah no we're cool! yada yada. i have never done closed door meetings with a female colleague though and i wouldnt travel with a female colleague now which i have done in the past , now its "Mike Pence" rule all the way

Oh, I'm very careful about work... it's too easy to be hooked into something dodgy at third level. Nah. I'm more concerned about the dating circles than anything that might happen at work.

Again, this craziness has moved beyond the internet and nutjobs. It's made it into the governments and legal circles. Pretending that it hasn't isn't going to improve anything. That's already been tried. That's how we've managed to get the current situation... repeating the belief that common sense will prevail. It hasn't

Wow, I'm a little bit shocked at the European dudes tbh. Any kind of article with the details?

Wow, I'm a little bit shocked at the European dudes tbh. Any kind of article with the details?

Article? Nope. These are two guys I know. But perhaps look at the Men's Rights thread or even scroll back on this thread. More than 'Plenty' of examples to choose from.

silverharp wrote: »

What a nice life we're giving young men. Having to behave like stoic husbands at the age of 18, while women can be wild and individualistic.

(Australia)
    We have had a huge victory. The Queensland Supreme Court has just determined that universities have no jurisdiction to adjudicate sexual assault.

Justice Ann Lyons ruled yesterday in a pivotal case involving a University of Queensland medical student who was accused of sexual assault by another student. Wendy Mulcahy, the lawyer for the accused student, took the matter to the Supreme Court arguing that UQ did not have the jurisdiction to adjudicate such matters.

In her landmark judgment, Justice Lyons concluded universities are only entitled to make decisions in sexual assault cases which have been proved in criminal court. The university’s role is then to decide on any further penalty could be imposed on someone found criminally guilty of such a crime – such as expelling him or her from the university.

Continues at:
    https://www.spectator.com.au/2019/11/queensland-judge-cans-campus-sex-claims-kangaroo-courts/

Yeah, the cyprus rape case is quite unnerving. Now there is literally an emmy award winning movie maker spinning the story.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/11/15/dissection-of-british-womans-retraction-at-core-of-napa-rape-case-hearing-on-friday/

Again, there is literally an online video showing the woman consenting to sex and even leaving. A lot of the people she accused were not even there or were with their girlfriends. IF such an open and shut case is getting so much spin and attention, how would a more difficult case fare?

I wonder is it the whole drunk cannot consent malarkey?

Edit:

From another article
    The woman's family have set up a GoFundMe site to help pay the costs.

They yesterday revealed estimated costs for travel and legal help had jumped to £60,000, and have raised £42,000 already.

• Advertisement

Here's an article about the Cyprus rape case:

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/12/12/conflicting-versions-in-closing-arguments-of-ayia-napa-rape-claim-case/

One important peice of information is that the accuser said the rape occured at 12:30 am, yet, the consensual sex video was filmed at 2:30 am(I guess by data or phone info?). Yes, it is possible that she was raped by people who were not there, and then had consensual sex with some of the people who she had accused...

Again, 50,000 euro in a gofundme, a huge amount of media support, for a case that will be a 1000 pound fine. Tbh, it's shocking how she has completly doubled down here.

TDs and Senators to be offered workshops on consent
    Senator Lynn Ruane organising workshops to build understanding of ‘boundary-setting’
    about 19 hours ago

TDs and Senators will be asked to attend workshops on consent and personal boundaries, which will include exercises on how to communicate with others about consent.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/tds-and-senators-to-be-offered-workshops-on-consent-1.4125555

I recall people raising concerns about such workshops in the past. Once politicians get them lots of other people/groups may end up getting them also.

iptba wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/tds-and-senators-to-be-offered-workshops-on-consent-1.4125555

I recall people raising concerns about such workshops in the past. Once politicians get them lots of other people/groups may end up getting them also.

It's just legitimising false myths about rape such as drunk is rape or a lack of an explicit verbal yes to every act is rape, or other absurdities.

Yeah, the Brian Banks case is pretty rough to read imo. You can see that he could have been a great man imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's just legitimising false myths about rape such as drunk is rape or a lack of an explicit verbal yes to every act is rape, or other absurdities.

Im not sure those are myths. If someone is intoxicated to the extent that they cant consent then a sexual act performed on them is rape. That doesnt mean that anyone who has consumed any amount of alcool cant consent. It may be that sometimes these two very different things get conflated, but then its a question of the quality of the speakers giving the consent classes rather than the classes themselves.

Likewise there doesnt have to be verbal consent to every single thing, but I dont think thats the issue. The law is that someone who says "I assumed she was consenting" or "It seemed like she was" but wasnt entirely sure could have the necessary mental element of rape. So the teaching that a verbal consent is the ideal is a good bit of advice. Now, it can be taken to extremes - no one is saying a married couple need to say "darling, do you consent to a kiss and a cuddle" every night before they go to bed, but that is a scenario where its very obvious.

Ultimately, my concern is that voluntary consent classes are reaching the wrong people, mandatory consent classes make people resent them and become defiant to the teachings and that there is a perception of bias on the part of the instructor if it comes from e.g. someone from an NGO. But I dont think that they will always contain absurd inaccuracies, as you contend

Im not sure those are myths. If someone is intoxicated to the extent that they cant consent then a sexual act performed on them is rape. That doesnt mean that anyone who has consumed any amount of alcool cant consent. It may be that sometimes these two very different things get conflated, but then its a question of the quality of the speakers giving the consent classes rather than the classes themselves.

Likewise there doesnt have to be verbal consent to every single thing, but I dont think thats the issue. The law is that someone who says "I assumed she was consenting" or "It seemed like she was" but wasnt entirely sure could have the necessary mental element of rape. So the teaching that a verbal consent is the ideal is a good bit of advice. Now, it can be taken to extremes - no one is saying a married couple need to say "darling, do you consent to a kiss and a cuddle" every night before they go to bed, but that is a scenario where its very obvious.

Ultimately, my concern is that voluntary consent classes are reaching the wrong people, mandatory consent classes make people resent them and become defiant to the teachings and that there is a perception of bias on the part of the instructor if it comes from e.g. someone from an NGO. But I dont think that they will always contain absurd inaccuracies, as you contend

True, if someone is unconcious than they cannot consent, but their is a big difference between being unconcious and drink making you consent to sex when you wouldn't have before. I am talking from the experience of a guy who had blackout drunk sex with women who were more sober than I was, and I never doubted that I consented.

I'm not going to talk about the mental element of rape as it seems a bit down a rabbit hole, but if it's seen as rape if there is no verbal consent, than pretty much any man can be falsely accused of rape. You know, I had verbal consent for kissing her neck, touching her hair, but I grabbed her hips wihtout consent and that means it is sexual assault/rape.

It sounds absurd to think of, but a lot of the metoo trials in America were actually based around these bizarre situations that I highlighted above, and I think you are giving too much credit to the people running this course.

And, as you can tell, I have had way too much coffee today :P

I think these consent classes and the ideas behind them ignore the human condition. That quite often people do things for illogical reasons. I know women who get drunk precisely because it gives them the chance not to consent... that way they can have a fling, or cheat on their boyfriend, but remain crystal clean within their own conscience.

I don't like the idea of consent classes because it gives credence to the idea that women don't need to be responsible for themselves. All the focus is on the male. We are all adults and responsible for our own safety. That means not getting drunk and placing ourselves in dubious situations. There needs to be more focus on responsible behavior and less of passing the buck.

Yeah, the cyprus rape case is quite unnerving. Now there is literally an emmy award winning movie maker spinning the story.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/11/15/dissection-of-british-womans-retraction-at-core-of-napa-rape-case-hearing-on-friday/

Again, there is literally an online video showing the woman consenting to sex and even leaving. A lot of the people she accused were not even there or were with their girlfriends. IF such an open and shut case is getting so much spin and attention, how would a more difficult case fare?

I wonder is it the whole drunk cannot consent malarkey?

Edit:

From another article
    The woman's family have set up a GoFundMe site to help pay the costs.

They yesterday revealed estimated costs for travel and legal help had jumped to £60,000, and have raised £42,000 already.
    Article on this in today's Irish Examiner:
    The woman spent more than a month in prison before she was granted bail at the end of August and has not been allowed to leave the island.
    She is still on bail and could face up to a year in jail and a 1,700 euro (£1,500) fine when she is sentenced.
    British teenager guilty of lying over Cyprus gang-rape claim

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/british-teenager-guilty-of-lying-over-cyprus-gang-rape-claim-972782.html

The articles I read are quite shocking tbh. I mean, there is evidence that it was a lie online and people are still saying that she was raped?

Pretty shocking stuff tbh to have all this malarkey for an obvious lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why does she have anonymity?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The articles I read are quite shocking tbh. I mean, there is evidence that it was a lie online and people are still saying that she was raped?

Pretty shocking stuff tbh to have all this malarkey for an obvious lie.

the court of twitter opinion is crazy, have seen this on facebook a few times today and every woman throwing the kitchen sink at anyone not buying the "she was raped and it was all the entire justice systems fault that shes made out to be a liar" line.

Advertisement