Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False rape accusation...who would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

iptba wrote: »
    Lots of people in society are role models. Should people be fired from such jobs where they are role models and be unable to get new employment if they have disrespected an individual of the opposite sex or made some other comments some people are unhappy with. Lots of feminists, for example, show bias. For example, this academic from another thread completely ignored male victims in a (media) piece complaining about how the media discuss domestic violence:

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0610/1054532-the-issues-with-how-the-irish-media-represent-domestic-violence/

Should she lose her job and should any potential employer be hounded if they try to employer? It would dramatically change how we do things.

I don't blame her, she can have whatever opinion she likes. I do blame RTE for allowing this tripe to be published or employing her in the first place. Maybe she got in through all-women shortlists.

Her evidence?
    eight stages a relationship goes through before it ends in the murder of a woman.
    This media[sic] coverage fails to present violence against women as a public problem

Her article certainly does.
    Its funny that to prove her point would merely require her to illuminate all these stories that are being suppressed by the media. Her argument also flies in the face of the power people(women) have on social media in this day and age.

The 'study' she cited is even more hilarious. Even the title suggest more activism than actual scholarship.
    Changing Coverage of
    Domestic Violence
    Murders
    A Longitudinal Experiment
    in Participatory Communication
    Their argument in summary:
    Media focus on the sensational
    Domestic violence against women is not sensational

It only took 6 pages of narrative before they move onto
    Recommendations for change

To which they devote the rest of the 20 page study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Kimsang wrote: »
    Unless of course you are Keanu Reeves,

so-youre-telling-me-l-can-dodge-lawsuits-no-neo-30128893.png

keanu-hover-hand-cover-2-1560263506754.jpg

Reeves is being hailed as a 'Respectful King' by CNN

Also interesting this Korean MMA artist's take on the Mike Pence rule;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeDYHtz5fs
    Because of this 'sexual harassment incident': https://streamable.com/3xh3l

Lean-In Canada finds that 60% of men in the workforce(up from 46% year previous) are reluctant or unwilling to have a closed door, private meeting with their female colleagues.
    In the age where a man can be vaporized out of his life, by a pointed finger or a whispered accusation, why does this surprise feminists?
    Feminists are calling this a 'me too backlash' but, is it not just good normal people protecting themselves?

Don't worry though- feminists have the answer. Make it illegal for men to follow the Mike Pence Rule.
    Irish Times article for what it is worth:
    Keanu Reeves – do his ‘hover hands’ mean he respects women?

Recent photograph of actor with a fan has prompted mixed opinions
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/keanu-reeves-do-his-hover-hands-mean-he-respects-women-1.3923387
    Other people’s intent can be difficult – if not impossible – to determine, but I can promise here and now that I did not intend to inappropriately touch a woman on the train, and certainly did not do so out of a lack of respect for her autonomy or personal space. These things can happen on overcrowded public transport, but the rules are unquestionably different for men. For a variety of very understandable reasons, women are less willing to give men the benefit of the doubt.

A garda liaison officer who was arrested over the weekend in connection with an historic child sexual abuse complaint has been found dead.

The garda was arrested by Gsoc last Saturday. He took his life earlier this week.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-takes-his-own-life-after-child-abuse-probe-931794.html

I have no idea about the facts of this case but it seems sometimes arrests are not justified and this can lead to problems
    It is the latest in a series of controversial arrests or investigations of gardaí.

In 2015, a garda sergeant who was under investigation by Gsoc took his own life unaware that he was due to be cleared of any wrongdoing. Sergeant Michael Galvin and two colleagues were being investigated about interactions with a woman soon before she died in a road traffic accident. Gsoc interviewed the sergeant and a decision was made not to prosecute, but he died before the decision was conveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

In this current age of madness - the man , always.

edit just to add that of course I take context into account, but after so much bs in the media lately, I will assume it's another "boy who cried wolf" scenario..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-takes-his-own-life-after-child-abuse-probe-931794.html

I have no idea about the facts of this case but it seems sometimes arrests are not justified and this can lead to problems

The clearing of his name may not have meant much to him. The damage had already been done. Some stains you can't erase. Some aren't strong enough to go on in the knowledge that they know the truth and that they are innocent. What others may think of them is what can drive them to suicide. Many innocent men have taken their lives before and after the clearing of their names.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

The author must have read my boards post :D:rolleyes:

I remember years ago I was driving home from work with my colleague. We had stopped for chinese food where my GF worked. We started to drive off and spotted a woman in her early 20s in a very drunken state. She was on the ground, propped up against a garden wall and was not in what I would describe as a safe area.

We approached her she was conscious and able to talk. I asked where she lived and she told us (was only 5 mins away). So we picked her up, put her in the car and drove her to her house and watched her stumble to and open the door. It felt good to be so helpful and take her out of a potentially very dangerous situation.

If I came across a similar situation today, I would keep driving. The risk of being accused of something sinister is too high. The proof is that when I relayed the story years ago, I was told that it was a very nice thing to do. In recent years, I am told it's a stupid thing I did...that "anything could have happened".

Women are not helping themselves anymore. Men don't want to be alone with them, hire them, or be themselves around them. Every word, every action has to be carefully thought out, or you risk your job, your family, your freedom. Decent women don't want any part of this and I am sure they often feel stuck in the middle, or unfairly tainted by this nonsense.

Well done feminists!

#femsruineverything

Stay Free

Carl Beech: 'VIP abuse' accuser jailed for 18 years
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49130670

Not a simple false sexual abuse case, but still a very severe sentence. Though he is male, which could conceivably have led to a more severe sentence.

Not a simple false sexual abuse case, but still a very severe sentence. Though he is male, which could conceivably have led to a more severe sentence.

The sentence is not harsh enough imo. All those lives destroyed by a malicious scumbag paedophile. Jail is too good for him. The only shame here is that women would not get anywhere near that much time served on them for the very same crimes.

Stay Free

Christie Blatchford: Unlike Canada, U.K. has learned sex assault 'victims' aren't always victims
    In Canada, meantime, the pendulum continues to swing the other way. Despite a huge pushback in the legal community, Bill C-51 is almost but not quite law
    Hooray for Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in London, who has formally led her force in abandoning its policy of automatically believing victims of sexual assault.

As The Times of London reported Monday, since taking over the Met about a year ago, Dick has told her officers that of course they are to keep an open mind, treat complainants with respect and dignity and “we should listen to them. We should record what they say.”
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-unlike-canada-u-k-has-learned-sex-assault-victims-arent-always-victims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

British woman who accused 12 Israeli teens of gang-raping her in Cyprus is ARRESTED for 'making false allegations' and ALL the men who were arrested over the 'attack' are released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

py2006 wrote: »
    British woman who accused 12 Israeli teens of gang-raping her in Cyprus is ARRESTED for 'making false allegations' and ALL the men who were arrested over the 'attack' are released

I'm genuinely curious what accusations were made as it seems to be proven to be blatantly false.

I wonder is it that whole drinking equals rape thing?

Tamil Nadu: Wife faces jail for false Pocso case on husband
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/wife-faces-jail-for-false-pocso-case-on-hubby/articleshow/70761907.cms
    CHENNAI: A woman who had lodged a false complaint that her estranged husband was sexually assaulting their 11-year-old daughter now faces imprisonment and/or fine under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Pocso) Act.
    “This case should be a lesson for all those who attempt to misuse the provisions of the Pocso Act, just to satisfy their own selfish ends,” Justice N Anand Venkatesh of the Madras high court said on Tuesday, while quashing the criminal case against the husband, and recommending initiation of criminal proceedings against the wife under Section 22 of the Pocso Act. If convicted she could be jailed for up to six months and also made to pay a fine.
    Noting that it is unfortunate that the woman had gone to the extent of casting aspersions against the man as if he had an ‘illicit relationship’ with his own daughter, the judge said: “This case has shocked the conscience of this court and it is unbelievable that the mother, just for the sake of taking custody of her child, can go to the extent of making such serious allegations against her husband.”
    The judge then observed that there were instances when the attention of this court was drawn to similar such incidents, where false complaint were given as if the husband has committed an offence under Pocso Act against the daughter and it was informed to this court that such cheap tactics are adopted in family court cases, just to arm-twist the husband and make him fall in line.
    “This court was not willing to believe that such instances can happen, but this case is an eye-opener for the court. This court was made aware the extent to which Pocso Act can be misused,” the judge said.

Oberlin College's 100% sexual assault conviction rate prompts lawsuit, due process concerns
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/4/oberlin-college-sex-assault-conviction-rate-100

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Could the falsely accused man not press defamation/slander charges on the accuser?

(8 minutes)

Statistics quoted are from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LCTD

One case which went to court and possibly shouldn't have was the Paddy Jackson & Stuart Olding one, I mean a woman who walked into the room during the act didn't think there was any danger yet it went to court with a media circus surrounding it. Sure I think they were stupid for what they did but did they deserve that... every woman I spoke to about the case was convinced they were guilty. V difficult for the lads to deal with the aftermath even if they were cleared and Diagio have just pulled out of sponsorship for Paddy's new team in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

LCTD wrote: »
    One case which went to court and possibly shouldn't have was the Paddy Jackson & Stuart Olding one, I mean a woman who walked into the room during the act didn't think there was any danger yet it went to court with a media circus surrounding it. Sure I think they were stupid for what they did but did they deserve that... every woman I spoke to about the case was convinced they were guilty. V difficult for the lads to deal with the aftermath even if they were cleared and Diagio have just pulled out of sponsorship for Paddy's new team in England.

One thing that seems to have been forgotten about in the context of this case is the newspaper reports that claimed the prosecutor's office decided there was no grounds to bring a case - but did so anyway solely because the accused were well known rugby players and to avoid any accusations of sweeping it under the carpet.

One thing that seems to have been forgotten about in the context of this case is the newspaper reports that claimed the prosecutor's office decided there was no grounds to bring a case - but did so anyway solely because the accused were well known rugby players and to avoid any accusations of sweeping it under the carpet.

Yeah, there was a newspaper article that was saying 200 protestors protested something or other to do with them in September 5th.

I would personally go on the attack at this stage, but they may be worried about some whackos falsely accusing them to make a point. (It seems to have happened with the Brett Kauvanagh thing tbh. The lawyer even mentioned that they accused him so that he would not be able to target abortion if he became elected as senator. )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That was organised by Linda Hayden who is running for the Social Democrats next election
    Ms Hayden wanted Paddy Whiskey to end their sponsorship of London Irish as well

According to Ms Hayden Ireland still has a rape culture
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...tion-1.4033034

Supposedly she was drugged and raped almost 20 years ago even though she never reported it to gardaí then, or since, saying she refused to give her attackers “power over me”.
    Supposedly men will get the benefit of the doubt, if they “come from good stock”.

• Advertisement

"One thing that seems to have been forgotten about in the context of this case is the newspaper reports that claimed the prosecutor's office decided there was no grounds to bring a case - but did so anyway solely because the accused were well known rugby players and to avoid any accusations of sweeping it under the carpet".

Didn't know that, what a waste of time & money no to mention putting the 2 lads through the mincer. These types of accusations happen to footballers all the time in England and are thrown out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That was organised by Linda Hayden who is running for the Social Democrats next election

Supposedly she was drugged and raped almost 20 years ago even though she never reported it to gardaí then, or since, saying she refused to give her attackers “power over me”.
    Supposedly men will get the benefit of the doubt, if they “come from good stock”.

Must say your use of the word 'supposedly' is interesting. First thing I thought when I saw this lady's story is that, to my knowledge, there has never been a medically confirmed case of drug spiking in this country yet this aspect of her account has been accepted unquestioningly. Second was a continuation really - we have a completely unverifiable account of a serious assault that happened without witnesses 20 years ago yet it is been published throughout the land as hard fact. Now, I'm not saying Ms Hayden is lying or trying to boost her profile in advance of any election - I know nothing about her other than what I've heard in recent days - but to publish her account as gospel without even an 'allegedly' disclaimer is poor journalism as far as I'm concerned and I do wonder whether a candidate from the wrong side of the PC debate would be extended such leniency.

Didn't know that, what a waste of time & money no to mention putting the 2 lads through the mincer. These types of accusations happen to footballers all the time in England and are thrown out...

Which of course gives the lie to.......
    men will get the benefit of the doubt, if they “come from good stock”.

Jackson and Olding were (and continue to be) put through the wringer seemingly precisely because they came from good stock.

All of this is very convenient timing.

Must say your use of the word 'supposedly' is interesting. First thing I thought when I saw this lady's story is that, to my knowledge, there has never been a medically confirmed case of drug spiking in this country yet this aspect of her account has been accepted unquestioningly. Second was a continuation really - we have a completely unverifiable account of a serious assault that happened without witnesses 20 years ago yet it is been published throughout the land as hard fact. Now, I'm not saying Ms Hayden is lying or trying to boost her profile in advance of any election - I know nothing about her other than what I've heard in recent days - but to publish her account as gospel without even an 'allegedly' disclaimer is poor journalism as far as I'm concerned and I do wonder whether a candidate from the wrong side of the PC debate would be extended such leniency.

Which of course gives the lie to.......

Jackson and Olding were (and continue to be) put through the wringer seemingly precisely because they came from good stock.

The supposedly came from me

Her account is being taken as fact and she's using it to gain a platform

She was on 96fm a few times before the Jackson protest down in Musgrave Park and she continued a protest even when Jackson wasn't playing in the game

All this can't be good for young men's mental health... already they are being hit with an constant barrage of 'consent' in the media while having to put up with women wearing next to nothing in public... in Arab countries women are forced to cover themselves up and quite frankly I can see why given what's happening here. Women can't claim it's comfortable to wear such skimpy/tight clothes so why are they sexualising themselves, surely some of the responsibility lies with them... if you're looking for attention that much, prepare for some of it to be bad.

All this can't be good for young men's mental health... already they are being hit with an constant barrage of 'consent' in the media while having to put up with women wearing next to nothing in public... in Arab countries women are forced to cover themselves up and quite frankly I can see why given what's happening here. Women can't claim it's comfortable to wear such skimpy/tight clothes so why are they sexualising themselves, surely some of the responsibility lies with them... if you're looking for attention that much, prepare for some of it to be bad.

Ahh the old victim blaming comes out........

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Here’s a novel idea - how about the men you speak of taking responsibility for their own mental health instead of making excuses as though anyone else is responsible for their shìtty attitude towards other people.

If you’re truly concerned about young men’s mental health, you aren’t doing them any favours by making excuses and holding anyone else responsible for their shìtty attitudes and behaviour towards others. Nobody should have to be “prepared” to put up with that shìte.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ahh the old victim blaming comes out........

Let's ignore the arab part of the comment :P

He never mentioned rape, and you can hardly call a man looking at a woman victimising? How do you think a group of girls would act if a man was wearing a shirt that showed of his abs, pecs and biceps, and pants that showed off his genitalia and buttocks? Perhaps with 'implants' or boxers that pushed everything up.

Now imagine a good looking Spanish man that's well muscled, and well hung, scowling, looking disgusted, or staring down any woman that glances at him. It truly gets absurd :P

The supposedly came from me

Her account is being taken as fact and she's using it to gain a platform

She was on 96fm a few times before the Jackson protest down in Musgrave Park and she continued a protest even when Jackson wasn't playing in the game

Imo, it's absurd that we are just treating it as fact especially as she is using it as a platform to change the education system and say that men should be thought about consent. .

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that she is lying

However I agree with
    First thing I thought when I saw this lady's story is that, to my knowledge, there has never been a medically confirmed case of drug spiking in this country yet this aspect of her account has been accepted unquestioningly. Second was a continuation really - we have a completely unverifiable account of a serious assault that happened without witnesses 20 years ago yet it is been published throughout the land as hard fact. Now, I'm not saying Ms Hayden is lying or trying to boost her profile in advance of any election - I know nothing about her other than what I've heard in recent days - but to publish her account as gospel without even an 'allegedly' disclaimer is poor journalism as far as I'm concerned and I do wonder whether a candidate from the wrong side of the PC debate would be extended such leniency.

Her account is taken as being accurate and she is saying that she is a victim despite not telling the guards at any stage

She is being 100% believed by the media without question

Advertisement