Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So UFOs aren't a theory anymore - but we still don't know what they are

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I'm sceptical. If you want, link a piece of footage you believe demonstrates this.

You really think Nasa and the US Government have been fooled into not recognising drones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

py2006 wrote: »
    You really think Nasa and the US Government have been fooled into not recognising drones?

Don't know, just interested in the clip/footage that you think is the strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Don't know, just interested in the clip/footage that you think is the strongest.

If you decide to do your own googling, start with what President Obama said recently and move from there.

If you decide to do your own googling, start with what President Obama said recently and move from there.

I have looked, and I haven't found any very compelling footage - that's not to say it doesn't exist. The clips I've come across are often blurry, grainy and could likely be one of many things. If there's a particular clip you feel is definitively an "alien craft", then please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Obama once said about aliens - they control us. Obviously having a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe move onto the Bigelow/Puthoff crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

There have been lots and lots of really strange lights that could not be explained as drones around Stillorgan/Blackrock as of late. Some with a yellow hue, some with red and white flashing lights but moving erratically, that could not be a plane and a very large yellow one. I've also noticed some smaller white lights moving around the night skies.

Curious activity. No idea what they are, so I guess they are UFOs. :)

Probably just weather balloons or comets.

I saw a swan headbutt a UFO down by Portobello Bridge one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

Lay off the drugs, buddy.

Are you saying you don't believe my story? The swan's wings stretched out and it leaned back and then it headbutted something, full force. Most likely a firefly, but I can't be sure. After it was hit, the unidentified object tumbled a bit then it soared up into the air a few inches and disappeared. Draw your own conclusions. 😊

Why is the assumption always made that spacecraft will be huge? Maybe for engineering and physics reasons it's easier to send small robotic craft across vast distances using whatever method 'the aliens' are using, wormholes or quantum entanglement or whatever other weirdness they've come up with that we haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

What are you exactly disputing? That the best military, and Navy, don't know what they are doing? That they saw balloons....

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2165713/statement-by-the-department-of-defense-on-the-release-of-historical-navy-videos/

US Military have officially confirmed they've recorded dozens of these incidents in last 15 years and that they believe the ones which are truly unidentified are not foreign adversary nor their own (e.g. secret programme). And they confirmed this is a matter of national security - hence the report and hence the creation of the UAP Task Force.

Report here:

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Prelimary-Assessment-UAP-20210625.pdf

You may need to check documentary and evidence on the Nimitz encounters (2004) - 2 professional navy pilots seen the UFO, the best US military radar on the carrier recorded the object, and the radar on the E-2 Hawkeye recorded it too. That's 3 independent observations of the same object.

Kevin Knuth, PhD, former NASA employee and astrophysicist has been studying the phenomena and wrote a few papers estimating the velocities, accelerations etc of the well documented objects (which had radar and visual footage for example). You may need to check some of his videos, podcasts or papers.

I am a very sceptical person with background in science. But the recent developments are a game changer, in my opinion.

Fair enough, do you have a link for a specific one that is very compelling? Is there one in particular that stands out

I've already given you all info you need. Do your own research and take it from there. The paradigm has changed if you carefully read the US Intelligence Report.

Thanks. Whenever I go look this stuff up, I find the video in question being discussed on a skeptics forum with several plausible hypotheses.

If there is a particular video you feel is compelling, then please let me know, so far I haven't found any that stand out (I'm not saying there isn't, but I haven't come across one yet)

It's not about videos. It's about pilot visual account + pilot FLIR account + radar tracing - all that combined.

The incidents with multiple confirmation methods (IR, visual, rader) of the same objects are quite compelling IMHO. And these are the incidents that gave impetus to the US Intelligence report and establishment of the UAPTF and a framework for monitoring these objects.

Videos - first three here, released as per FoIA

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

UFO's have been taken very seriously since the 1940's, the biggest secret in the history of mankind

And now that we all carry HD cameras in our pockets and have far better instruments on planes, drones, etc then hopefully we can get something concrete. It's incredible how consistently blurry and "just" out of focus the visual data we have so far is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is one of those areas that would be great if there was truth in it, i.e. an alien species making contact with Earth. Unfortunately, however, even the best evidence is quite poor and can be explained by things such as the parallax effect and weather phenomenon, even if the videos were taking at face value, it only brings in more questions and lack of evidence.

I've no doubt that there is military programs doing all types of experiments with flying vehicles, I don't believe that they are that good at hiding them that they would have only ever been caught by other military via bad footage.

This is the Niels Degrasse argument. Which is pure mockery...this is basically anti-science.

Science = inquisitiveness, testing the hypothesis, finding explanation of phenomena

Outright dismissal without any tests or measurements made is bigotry/dogmatism.

On phones - Try to take a footage of a flying object at a distance in reasonable zoom on your phone. Whilst HD, the lens in a phone sucks and you can't really take a good footage with it.

The military videos that were declassified are not HD optical footage but infrared (FLIR).

• Advertisement

I've seen plenty of clear amateur footage of fast-moving aerial objects, going way back to the 90's. Yet I've never seen footage or am I aware of any clearly representing an "alien" craft. Yes indeed camera tech does have limitations, but doesn't it strike you as strange that 100% of these encounters are consistently blurry. It's to the point that if someone came to me next year claiming that were in e.g. possession of 100 brand new videos of what they suspected were "alien" craft, then before even watching, I would be quite certain 100% of those videos were blurry/distorted.

As for the other details, the respective militaries aren't going to admit that some craft/object/missile is their experimental tech, and whether one professional witnesses one thing on a radar or 20 view it on the radar, it could still be the same glitch.

I would like to see one strong case instead of hundreds of consistently vague cases. Most of which could be any number of phenomena/glitches/drones/classified mil-tech/etc

So if the US Intelligence Agency explicitly says that these UAPs are a national security issue and that therefore they are setting up a Task Force investigating them and that to their knowledge they are not any US military tech and that they cannot identify them as glitches, drones, baloons either....it's all humbug.

It's good to be skeptical but it's not good to be narrow-minded.

Once again:

Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force - Wikipedia

Establishment of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force > U.S. Department of Defense > Release

Good old Bigelow and his payback form Harry Reid. Hopefully he'll find his space poltergeists soon.

The latest guff to be promoted by George Knapp.

https://www.mysterywire.com/ufo/the-summoners/

Good old Bigelow and his payback form Harry Reid. Hopefully he'll find his space poltergeists soon.

Yes some of these things could be foreign military tech, so of course they will take it seriously.

There are identified aerial objects, we know what they are. There are unidentified flying objects, which we don't know. Many of them have later fallen into the identified category, e.g. as weather balloons, hoaxes, secret military aircraft, phenomena, missiles, reflections, etc, etc. There are still some remaining that we don't have anything concrete on yet.

The point of my posts is that some people are making the leap that the latter category means: "aliens". It doesn't. For that we would need to positively identify and verify one of the objects as not something of our own. That hasn't happened yet.

If someone wants to point to a video and say, we don't know what that is for sure - yup fine.

If someone wants to point to the same (inevitably) fuzzy video and say "aliens" - nope.

The UAPTF was setup to collect and analyse data of the already filtered out data that cannot be identified. So you're incorrect - the mundane explanations have been already filtered out. Does it make sense?

Painted UFO's on a pane of glass weren't identified until someone stepped forward years later and admitted what they were.

"We can't explain it" doesn't mean it can't be explained, it's just a pending file. The issue is with people making the leap that "it has to be aliens".

• Advertisement

You're trolling at this stage.

Military incidents with multiple independent confirmation methods (visual, infrared and radar) which the US Intelligence community considers a "matter of national security" are "painted glass" according to you...

Advertisement