Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Starlink is a well marketed joke - geostationary satellites are always preferable for satellite internet than a chain of continuously orbiting stuff.

Konnect yields speeds up to 100Mb down and covers most if not all of ROI

There are many other carriers too, just lesser known. Starlink though was just another big marketing gimmick like most of the stuff Elon Musk comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Has anybody recently gone through the process of getting mortgage approval based on the ability to WFS? If so, I wonder what the bank looked for in this regard? I dont have anything in my employment contract however they have told us we can WHF indefinitely via a company wide email. Are banks happy to lend on this basis or will they require something more concrete? Thanks

They dont require any commitment about whether you can or cant WFH - its irrelevant. I dont think they'll even ask

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Thanks for the response but I dont see how its irrelevant. I probably should have given more context, the job is in Dublin, the house is in Cork!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My friend's have satellite broadband now and it is fairly rubbish. Limited download allowance and poor pings are bad enough but even general usage it is patchy enough. Streaming isn't great on it, websites/apps are slow to load and sometimes need to be refreshed because some part of it didn't load correctly.

• Advertisement

They’ll require a letter from your HR department confirming that you can WFH.

If you can’t prove that you can WFH, and the bank considers the commute too far to be feasible, you’ll get offered investor LTV and interest rate instead of owner occupier

my lender was absolutely not moving on that, and even wanted the wording on the letter changed to be more explicit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Talking to a customer of ours an auctioneer, he is absolutely convinced prices are beginning to stabilize and is adamant its the large cash deposits built up over the pandemic that is really driving prices. The 3.5 rule will stop them from going any further, the average salaries people are getting just don't match up.

There is nothing there but scrap for the average working couple of 80-90k joint looking to buy without large cash deposits, This is in the Cork city market that has experienced the largest price growth.

I'm not as optimistic as him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If people that had jobs in Dublin and are now WFH in Cork they will have the purchasing power to drive prices higher as they will still be on a Dublin Wage.

Added on top of that the short supply of new builds coming to the market in Cork and the fact that the development plan see's the population significantly increasing in future years will further underpin the high prices.

In the 10 years to 2020 only 3,741 housing units were built (511 Apartments, 2786 Scheme Houses, 444 Single houses)

If you in look at county cork to capture the commuter towns that sit outside the city boundaries it is not much better with 8,341 housing units built during the 10 year period.

Based on planning applications that have been approved for cork city since 2018 (7,277 units) 55% of these are for apartments and I would expect a large number of them will be purchased by funds and Rented out which won't help FTB's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm seeing a good few properties advertised by auctioneers as "Newly Reduced Price" or "Back to Market" in parts of the Dublin market. I think there were some sellers cashing in on people having saved during the pandemic, coupled with a frenzy by some buyers which was driving up prices. It would make sense that things might be settling down now. It'll be interesting to see what the data shows in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

I think it largely depends what (sub)market we are talking about. Im seeing prices still going bonkers in Co. Galway with drastically short supply on existing homes. Stuff that was sitting idle prior to the pandemic now being given a lick of pant and 20% rise in asking price. Seems a lot of folk have made the move and still looking to buy in and prepared to pay over the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If 100 houses were bought by people that were previously working in Dublin that can now work from home in Galway it would account for 10% of the housing stock built in 2020 in Galway city and county. Add on top the fact that they will more than likely have greater purchasing power and it is no wonder that prices are rising.... There are a lot of people that would rather WFH in a house in a beautiful place like Galway rather rent/buy a smaller place in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm afraid this isn't true, they do take it into account. They will request a specific letter to say you're working from home from now on from your company, if not the cost of potentially having to commute will be reckoned against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ahem., Yes it will.

There is just no substitute for fixed line broadband. Especially if you intend to work from home. Even more so if you have multiple people working from home.

Then nowadays all peoples tv watching etc comes through the internet.

3 years ago I used to get by on 50GB cap with 3. Because eir only provided 1mbps for about 3 years and then it went up to 3mbps after that.

We got fiber to the home 3 years ago. Life changing. Now we would easily eat up 800 to 900GB a month. All tvs on it. All working from home on it.

Its magic. I would never go back.

The funny thing is that the FTTH stopped at our house. Next door neighbor 50 meters away is still on the 3mbps eir connection. HE is changing to vodafone where his phone can get about 15mpbs, but there is a cap on it. All the houses further on than him cant get it either. Just now for the craic I put his house into the checker for the national bb pan. Looking like at least 2025 or 2026 for him. He is actually thinking of selling up because it became very apparent that its a problem during lockdown.

I never actually thought about it properly though until a friend pulled out of a sale because of it. That made me think about it.

We tried it for a while. Total rubbish. Ended up getting an old router and putting a mobile sim in it. It was far better than satellite, but far , far worse than proper broadband. And the FUP was a killer on mobile, but totally ridiculously bad on satellite.

Starlink looks good, but there are only 100k people on it. I think when they go out of beta they will be over subscribed and the speeds and pings will go down big time.

Either that or they will, against what they say now, introduce higher payment tiers.

I dont think they've settled down that much myself.

A friend asked me to go have a look at a 4 bed house in Ashbourne with him last week that they were about to put a bid in on, in my capacity as having renovated a fair few houses and selling them on over the years. The house was previously rented for years and is a total wreck. Everything from the purloins in the roof being rotten to leaks in the bathrooms. Every floor needs replacing. The walls are in bits. Some of the doors and windows dont close properly. Kitchen need total replacement. All the ceilings need new boards and skimming. All the render on the outside of the house had been patched up badly over the years and would need to be fixed at some point.

They were going to bid €530k.

I asked him how much did he think the house was worth. He said €550k But he needed to keep €20k for renovations after he moved in.

I told him that if he got it done at cost he would be paying at least €125k or more for the minimum that needed to be done to that house. But at todays rates he wouldnt have change out of €200k.

So his €530k house is going to end up costing him €750k minimum. And a 4 bed house in Ashbourne is not worth that much.

Some fool is going to go ahead with that though. I reckon even if I was to buy that and do it up myself on my own it would take me months and €70 or 80k, if not more.

I bet a proper survey would uncover even more than i could see going around the house.

And that house pristine would not get me even €600k.

I really dont know what people are at these days.

I've just drawn down my mortgage and at no point did they enquire as to my work from home status, nor did they question the big distance between my home and my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I really dont know what people are at these days.

people want somewhere to live and there aren't enough reasonably priced options. That's it really....

People need to get a hold of themselves and learn to add up though oir they will really hurt themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Why bother adding up when you have Mom & Dad bank to bankroll you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Depends on the house if its out on its own and a bit of land it may well be worth it, remember Ashbourne is a 25 minute drive to Dublin, 10 minute drive to the airport and then you also have easy access to both the N2 and N1, not to mention other large satellite towns like Navan, Drogheda being 15 minute spin. Ashbourne is actually situated quiet nicely as in your in the country but close enough to do the trip into Dublin without too much stress if you need to.

• Advertisement

I think youve been drinking the koolade :)

Reminds me of the add for the vortex niteclub in Dunshaughlin where they used to say 20 mins from Dublin city center. Yes if you were in a helicopter.

I live about 2 km closer on the way to the airport from Ashbourne and it is definitely not 10 minutes to the airport, a trip i make often. And when I was commuting to Harcourt street , which i'll be doing again in a few weeks. it was talking me 1hr 15mins to 1h 30mins in and always over 1h 30mins home.

When you drive in to the city center its minimum 25 mins to Finglas with no traffic at all and then any amount of time you like from there on in because the traffic start building up just inside the M50. Worse coming home.

But thats beside the point. The point here is that a similar house in walk in condition would be around the same as the wreck they were looking at and they didnt realize the cost to get it up to the same condition.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What is the distance from your home to your employer?

There have been loads of threads on this forum over the years of people being refused mortgages cause their commute would be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It'll all end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Despite populist politician's wanting "the rules looked at ASAP" it seems the CB think its appropriate to keep the current restrictions

Central Bank mortgage measures built up resilience during pandemic

She also said that reducing construction costs rather than increasing mortgages should be used to increase housebuilding activity.

House prices entering the pandemic were at lower risk of a cyclical downturn than may have been the case in the absence of the mortgage measures, she told the conference. 

Ms Donnery said previous research suggested house prices may have been up to 25% more expensive had the measures not been introduced. 

"In addition, borrowers with lower indebtedness levels were less likely to require the support of a payment break," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Did anyone read the Niamh Horan piece in the Sunday Independent this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Ozark707

This seems to crop up every 6/12 months. The people pushing this line must really think that people have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭yagan

Micheal Martin recently had to correct his assertion in the Dail record that there was no bank bailout. Total brass neck stuff.

But he's not alone, I know plenty of people who'd happily bankrupt the country again via a lending bubble if it meant they could flip a field or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Commentators appear to be getting scared.

Paul Somerville predicting Stagflation

Newspaper panel last Sunday Brendan o Connor.

Cormac Lucey today on Pat Kenny.

Likening 2021 to 2006 advises potential homebuyers to hold back.

Chris Jones and his buddy on the other hand podcast concerns over stock market valuations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

PTSB wanted a specific letter to confirm my work from home status when I was making enquiries for a property in the Midlands a few months ago before they'd confirm what or whether they'd lend to me for it, and my broker warned me the language would have to be very specific. This was after the AIP stage.

Reason being if my WFH fell through they wanted to reckon the cost of potential commuting against me, and the risk of me being unable to find equivalent work in the locality or sell if I lost my job.

I think in my case it would only have affected what kind of offer they'd make but I am aware of other people who've been outright refused.

Advertisement