Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

an understandable forecast from lyons, hes been shouting and screaming about the serious short fall in accommodation, particularly in the dublin region, since 08, hes been pretty much spot on all the time, and we truly do need to embrace critical long term plans and forecasts. i do think we should be creating buildings that are more flexible to conversations though, to accommodate our long term needs, from residential and commercial etc etc, not cheap id imagine though.

price growth is clearly unsustainable at current rates, unless theres radical changes to our economy, from income inflation, costs of living, taxation, etc etc etc, its not gonna be an easy task trying to fulfill all of these critical needs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think we could be in for a real rocky patch in the next 3 to 5 years in terms of the overall economy.

• A change to our corporate tax rate will not lead to a mass exodus immediately but if you think it will not have any impact at all, you'll be mistaken.
    • Remote working. As someone who is remote working, I'm not sure it'll work out good for me long term. During 2020 when the whole working from home situation was new, I listened to some very high ranking employees of some large companies answer the question about if long term this was going to stay. They said they didn't know but there could be opportunities to hire employees from lower cost regions.
    • Inflation. Inflation is ramping up for the first time in many peoples lives. The EU Central Bank is going to leave it as long as possible before they raise rates. By the time they do, it could be too late to prevent massive damage. We've got a two tier society. Professionals who are getting pay rises yearly and other workers like cleaners, waiters, hotel staff etc who are not. If everyone gets a 5% wage increase, the low paid workers are worse off.
    • Energy/Climate action. Yesterday I heard on the radio companies were asked 1300 times this year to reduce demand due to high levels of energy use. Shutting down of carbon based fuels to tackle climate change could cost us big time. Will there be load shedding/blackouts this winter? I think it could well happen.

The printing of money non stop for the last decade without any impact on inflation was perfect for banks. This is something that really is hard to imagine. Now we're seeing the effects of printing money non stop. With rising inflation we could see people get very worried about their cash and lump it into property to hedge inflation. It could be one last pump before it all comes shuttering down.

People can talk about demand and supply all they want. But there's a difference between supply of people and supply of cash. You can have 100,000 people wanting to buy a house with a supply of 1,000 but if the richest person of the 100,000 can only afford for example 100k, house prices won't exceed that. Corps are ruthless. Their costs are going to rise and rise and rise now. I wouldn't be surprised if we see big cost saving measures by some in the next couple years.

why havent corporations been moving in high number to other european countries in which already have lower rates than ours?

i think the hybrid model is absolutely the way to go, and will benefit us all

current inflation rates maybe just a short term blip, primarily due to major supply chain shocks due to covid, its also important to remember, rates have very little influence in economic outcomes, the main influence being due to the availability of credit to our economies, which ultimately comes from private sector banks, so we re just waiting for those gates to be opened, before the real mental stuff arrives, i.e. possibly even higher asset price inflation, property, land etc!

no, i dont expect widescale blackouts anytime soon, but could well occur in the future, possibly due to capacity constraints, i.e. being unable to produce enough energy for demand.

most money created by central banks, i.e qe, has propped up asset markets, including property markets, it ll be interesting to see what happens when its eventually tapered.

yes we could very well see people running towards property markets again, but i suspect thats more likely if we truly do open the gates of credit

yes, you are right, the money supply is still playing a critical role in property prices, but we re still playing the credit game here, this is in fact still the primary source of money used in property markets, so if we open those gates again, for example, altering, reducing, relaxing central bank rules etc, expect big problems!

oh large corporations are doing just fine, they still have access to essentially free money, qe etc, and are of course are using it for 'productive means', i.e. 'share buy backs', where everyone wins! yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Price rises in Ireland have been less than 23 other OECD countries. I doubt they are any more sustainable in those countries either, but I don't see what is going to rein in the trend. https://data.oecd.org/price/housing-prices.htm

yup, we re caught in whats called a 'positive feedback loop' in regards pricing, this is becoming an extremely serious problem for us all, and im not sure we truly know what to do about it, but clearly, we just need to crack on with building, but even thats now a serious problem. this is extremely worrying stuff, i think a more involved state is truly the only solution, but even that wont be easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My personal belief is that only individuals should be allowed to buy, own and invest in residential property. Allowing commercial interests a look in was a huge mistake. Governments listen to corporations a lot, and their constituencies, not at all.

On RTÉ's Morning Ireland Mr Davitt said that low interest rates and fixed interest rates with longer terms are encouraging more people to get on the property ladder.

He said buyers "don't mind paying extra because they are paying it over the long term".

Very interesting words and exactly what I thought. People happy to pay way over the odds just to secure a property. Price doesn't even matter anymore. Not exactly a sign of a healthy market...It's an irrational market. And it will become rational again.

yup, the joys of democracy(plutocracy)!

you gotta love the lobbyists from the fire sectors! any chance you can show us examples of rational markets, particularly in relation to property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Berlin voting to compel investors to sell properties.

Where does that lead to i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Given that almost every photo is of the garden I am betting that the house isn't looking too great inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Villa05

The rent bubble, if your paying 2k in rent, 2k in mortgage repayments seems logical

Problem is your locking record high rent prices caused by a supply issue for the rest of your lives.

Supply issue has to be resolved, what happens rents when it is?

We are in a property bubble caused by choked supply. How long more can we accept choking supply, eventually the numbers locked out of housing are greater than those that own

Can't see the current political parties being in power much longer.

Varadkers comments last week ref balance between landlord income and renters plight particularly insightful. Foreign Corporate landlords tax free and citizen landlords paying rates of up to 50%+, while renters are squeezed for every available penny. A wholly disappointing leader from a position of considerable potential.

Exactly. Buying a house at any cost looks like good business at this point.

But 8% p/a price rises are not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It's a ridiculous projection. The 30 year projected population growth is primarily due to immigration. 30 years of strong demand? 30 years ago we had net emigration up until 25 years ago. Only 7 years ago we had net emigration again!

At the same time, if housing supply ramps up based on these large projected population growth numbers that is fine by me! Oversupply is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well bringing the time down that will allow refugees go from undocumented to documented from 8 years to 4 months is going to bring a flood of people here. We are currently ranked 2nd in quality of life by the UN. So people can say what they want about Ireland but it is also one of the safest places in the world to live. It also offers welfare at one of the highest rates in the world when you take every thing into account. We are also currently in need of expansion in our public servant numbers and going gang busters in ares like IT and Pharma. Companies are importing talent as the head count is not here. I can see population growth continuing to rise due to emigration inwards and our birth vs death rates have always swayed heavily on the birth rates even during a global pandemic which killed thousands.

The ESRI, who's job it actually is to research things and make projections projected in 2020 that house prices would fall by 12% in 2021.

And we have guys out here making 30 year projections. 🤡🤡🤡

Just are ridiculous as the doomsdayers on here saying we need a recession as they cant get on the property ladder and others projecting year on year that next year the crash is coming.😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Historically, it’s actually probably been much safer to make long term predictions than short term ones. There’s a fairly generous margin of error on a 30 year prediction compared to short term predictions.

That 12% fall though … 😂

yup, our short term approach is effectively failing in nearly everyway we ve done it, its why we re truly in our current mess, again lyons himself realised this many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

For as long as I've paid attention to these industry/think tank predictions, it's generally been a case of if prices are currently going up, the predictions are that they will continue to do so, and if they're going down, the predictions are that they will continue to do so.

It's basically like the weather forecaster telling you it's going to keep raining because he looks outside and sees rain.

Obviously to justify their existence the authors of these reports dress them up with language that makes them sound authoritive. But the truth is no one actually knows what's coming around the corner and if economic crashes could be predicted we probably wouldn't have any.

And yeah, the one time the ESRI deviated from the "is it currently raining" method they couldn't have been much more wrong....

• Advertisement

no we cannot accurately predict future outcomes such as crashes, and we may never be truly able to, but mainstream economic predictions are woefully wrong, disturbingly so, but it is true, 'all models are wrong, but some are useful'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Timing belt

According to the central bank statistics Irish Private debt in the banking system has been falling since 2009 and is now at the same value it was in 2003.

If you look at Loans for house purchases the total outstanding amount at July 2021 was 68.8 Billion the same level it was back in Sept 2004. It peaked at 123.9 Billion in oct 2008 and has been falling ever since which means more money has been repaid on mortgages than has been lent out on new mortgages.

It's the public debt and debt outside the banking system that has been on the rise and it is both of these areas that are helping to push up prices on property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

They failed quite a lot on their projection.

But on other note, their projection was between 0% to 12% fall, which average to 6% of fall between 2020 Q1 and 2021 Q4.

6% of a fall would be considered as to optimistic in this group. So their projections was bad, but it's relatively good, when compared with most members of this group, and many other forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nobody, Not even experts whos job it is, can predict property price changes.

Funny though how everyone thinks they can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Well Im 50% sure that the prices will drop next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

In nominal value? If so, in general the guess that you would be wrong is more than 50%.

There is no such thing as an undocumented refugee. If you're going to try blaming foreigners for our property issues, at least learn about immigration correctly.

There are more properties coming on the market, I'm still seeing lots of properties that were sale agreed coming back. I'm not sure why, could it be vendors thinking they will get higher prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

I've been to see a couple coming back to the market and generally the bidding has been lower than the sale agreed price. That's not to say the final price won't be the same or more, just that it doesn't seem to be guaranteed that a vendor would actually get more money.

Did I put the blame on foreigners? NO so relax I am just highlighting policies we are enacting which will cause the housing supply to worsen and the fact is the time taken to process undocumented/asylum seekers/refugees is going to be cut drastically and we will see more people coming into Ireland ergo we need more housing. I don't blame them if I was living in areas such as Syria or the Lebanon I would be looking at Ireland and going chaching.. The main reason why we have a housing crisis is lack of supply. We cant blame Johnny foreigner on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It looks like John Lewis and Lloyds bank are entering the build to rent market in the UK.

I wonder will we see similar in Ireland with the Irish banks doing similar as their ability to generate profit decreases due to excess liquidity and negative rates.

Advertisement