Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Achievement In GAA History

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

surely Roscommon beating Wexford in hurling in 1984?

A one-off match should never be the answer here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

What makes corks doubles so special from the Tipp doubles? I get that the OP is from cork so obviously biased but its surely equally as good an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Dublin Footballers 2011-2020 who won 6 all Irelands in a row
    Rosita wrote: »
    Mmmmmm..........last year Waterford beat Kilkenny by 4. Limerick beat Waterford by 11.

11 + 4 =.................

Stranger things have happened when you look at the margins.

Certainly on a given day it's not impossible if Limerick hit top form and Kilkenny played poorly.

Limerick beating the Kilkenny team of 2006-09 by 15 points - utterly ridiculous

Martin567 wrote: »
    Certainly on a given day it's not impossible if Limerick hit top form and Kilkenny played poorly.

Limerick beating the Kilkenny team of 2006-09 by 15 points - utterly ridiculous

Would most of that kk team,not be well into tbeir 40s now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Kerry Footballers 1975-1986 who won 4 all Irelands in a row
    dobman88 wrote: »
    What makes corks doubles so special from the Tipp doubles? I get that the OP is from cork so obviously biased but its surely equally as good an achievement.

Well Tipps last double was in 1900. Corks 1990 double stands out for me, because it was achieved in the modern era.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Dublin Footballers 2011-2020 who won 6 all Irelands in a row
    Would most of that kk team,not be well into tbeir 40s now though?

I wonder if that was what Rosita meant by saying that Limerick would beat the four in a row Kilkenny team by 15 points and Dublin beating the great Kerry team by 40 points? That's about the only way it would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

On the Cork double. How can the achievements of 2 teams in different sports be considered the greatest single achievement? Other than winning both in the same year and a few dual players what is the achievement?

Well Tipps last double was in 1900. Corks 1990 double stands out for me, because it was achieved in the modern era.

So it means more because it was more recently? That doesnt make sense to me so I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for it.

It's a fine achievement, not disputing it, but Tipp is every bit as good as Cork doing it, regardless of when it was done imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

None of the above.
    What about Leitrim making the breakthrough in 1994 and beating Roscommon, Galway and Mayo en route to Connacht glory?
    Clare 1992 beating Kerry to break out of Munster?
    Westmeath or Laois winnging provincial crowns in this century?

What about Crossmaglen winning five all irelands despite (or because) of the British army abusing their members constantly?

What about the other northern clubs who kept going despite having members shot simply for closing the gates of their facilities of an evening?

Clares breakthrough in hurling in 1995 or better yet the ridiculous concept that Offaly from about five hurling clubs could win two all irelands in the 90s.

What about thriving in the face of the establishment in the early years or hosting Ireland/England in 2007 after getting rid of one of it's rules?
    ALL on a comparison at least to the ones mentioned above

So it means more because it was more recently? That doesnt make sense to me so I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for it.

It's a fine achievement, not disputing it, but Tipp is every bit as good as Cork doing it, regardless of when it was done imo.

I just think Cork did the double, in an era when it was harder to do. Better playing standards and more professional preparation etc. It's the only double that people still alive can remember. But as it is both Cork and Tipp have two doubles each.

• Advertisement

thegills wrote: »
    On the Cork double. How can the achievements of 2 teams in different sports be considered the greatest single achievement? Other than winning both in the same year and a few dual players what is the achievement?

Look at the bit in bold.You answered your own question while in the process of asking it.;) Both hurling and gaelic football are sports organized by the GAA. So a county winning two senior all Irelands in the same year, is a single achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

hosting Ireland/England in 2007 after getting rid of one of it's rules?

Could anything be more cringey for the GAA than the thought that after 130 odd years its greatest achievement might be playing host to a rugby match?

How pointless must all the rest of it have been?

Could anything be more cringey for the GAA than the thought that after 130 odd years its greatest achievement might be playing host to a rugby match?

yes hosting a rugby match was the achievement there :rolleyes:

So what was the second greatest achievement in the history of the GAA then? Hosting a soccer match, hosting the France or New Zealand Rugby team? American football?

Or just managing to hold back the tears of joy during God Save the Queen?

Presumably hurling and football are fairly far down the list anyway?

I just think Cork did the double, in an era when it was harder to do. Better playing standards and more professional preparation etc. It's the only double that people still alive can remember. But as it is both Cork and Tipp have two doubles each.

Well, I disagree it means more just because it was more recent or people are alive who remember it. I can understand you wanting it to mean more because it's your own county but it is equal.

Tipps achievement is just as valid as Corks. 2 doubles each is fantastic.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the poll not having it there imo.

So what was the second greatest achievement in the history of the GAA then? Hosting a soccer match, hosting the France or New Zealand Rugby team? American football?

Or just managing to hold back the tears of joy during God Save the Queen?

Presumably hurling and football are fairly far down the list anyway?

Why would hurling or football be down the list?
    If you can't or choose not to read a post and want to deliberately misrepresent what was written - knock yourself out. But I think you're just showing yourself to have a limited understanding of what the GAA is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

or hosting Ireland/England in 2007 after getting rid of one of it's rules?
    ALL on a comparison at least to the ones mentioned above

So, what actually was the achievement there? I don't get it either?

Was it the removal of rule 42?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I assume the poster means, that it showed that the GAA was progressive and no longer blinkered. At the time if I remember the argument was that if a neighbour had nowhere to stay you would help them out.

A lot of the anti argument at the time was based on bias against England and a biased view of history. All built up into something it wasn't. I am now ashamed to say that I was one of those against the playing of that England and Ireland game. Based on no real logic whatsoever.

But I had no problem attending a soccer match in CP (Ireland v italy 2009) and being amused at 'out and out' Dublin soccer people looking lost in the stadium.

I now see it was a chance to show off CP to others from other sporting organisations. And show an organisation with confidence and pride in itself.

The GAA is the most egalitarian sport in Ireland. One which people of all creeds and socio-demographic backgrounds can play if they wish. That is really not the case in other sports.

Plus the GAA own their own stadiums and not heavily in debt it is not the case in other sports in Ireland.

The GAA stands on its own as an unique example not only in Ireland as a result of this. But stands unique worldwide as an amateur organisation, run by people with acumen, foresight and cop on. An organisation which is the lifeblood of many a community particularly in rural Ireland.

The GAA should rightly be proud of all that. You might only realise it when you stand back and look at it. I have seen foreign students gasp in awe after a hurling/football match. And their mouths nearly drop to the floor when they are told it is amateur. I remember one Spanish student roaring on Kildare!

Another time time I saw a French family at a hurling league game in Parnell Park at night (god knows how they found out it was on) and even the youngest was into it. 'Allez les Bleu's' I said to them as I pointed to the Dubs.

There is a real sense of community in the GAA that other sports don't have.
    The stars and superstars are not distant like many sports.

One time I happened to sitting beside Chris Crummy's parents at a Dublin hurling match in Parnell (His mother told me who she was during the game she was very nervous). It was a tense game against Galway. And she nearly killed me hugging me when Dublin won. She was one of first on the pitch leap over the seats. Got the paper the next day and there was a photo of her was celebrating with her son on the pitch.

I remember another day in CP Darren Homan (then a recently retired former Dublin footballer) was sitting a few rows in front of me. A young lads eyes lit up on the row behind him. Homan was happily chatting with the young fella and was sharing sweets after a while. I have seen auld fella's in wheelchairs playing every ball in their mind, and young lads roaring on their team who know all the names of the players. It goes deep and stays with people. Community, belonging. Not manufactured insincerity or some marketing ploy it is real their own place. Their own people.

Another time in Parnell Park a retired legend of the game Sean Boylan was in the stands . There was a young couple with a baby. The mother moved down a few rows in front of Boylan with the baby for comfort for the child I assume. Ligas and all sorts ended up passed down through the rows. It was very funny to look at confused Sean Boylan passing down a liga biscuit. Where else would you get it only in the GAA?

At the same game in Parnell, Bertie Ahern was in attendance. It was around around the time of his peak popularity. But when Bertie was walking in. One of the crowd roared 'Howaya Bertie ya Bollix!'.
    Again where else would you get it only in the GAA?

Egalitarianism, accessibility, and community are the GAA's biggest achievements in the 21st century. All the while being keen to develop and improve the organisation around that. So it is a self fulfilling circle.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why would hurling or football be down the list?
    If you can't or choose not to read a post and want to deliberately misrepresent what was written - knock yourself out. But I think you're just showing yourself to have a limited understanding of what the GAA is all about

The self-regard if some people here is amazing. A few days ago I was told I didn't understand 'greatness' (whereas the person replying to me apparently did) and now I have a 'limited understanding' of the GAA (whereas presumably you have an unlimited understanding of the GAA). Good luck with that notion.

To be honest suggesting the hosting of a rugby match as the greatest achievement in the history of the GAA is a particular understanding of things. Not sure it necessarily suggests 'unlimited' understanding.

The self-regard if some people here is amazing. A few days ago I was told I didn't understand 'greatness' (whereas the person replying to me apparently did) and now I have a 'limited understanding' of the GAA (whereas presumably you have an unlimited understanding of the GAA). Good luck with that notion.

To be honest suggesting the hosting of a rugby match as the greatest achievement in the history of the GAA is a particular understanding of things. Not sure it necessarily suggests 'unlimited' understanding.

i dunno how people got so wrapped up in that rubbish of a sport anyway....almost zero substance and skill in it

I guess it was a nice gesture of the gaa to let it play there for a limited run,but jesus wept rugby supporters are insufferable in their level of delusion

• Advertisement

i dunno how people got so wrapped up in that rubbish of a sport anyway....almost zero substance and skill in it

I guess it was a nice gesture of the gaa to let it play there for a limited run,but jesus wept rugby supporters are insufferable in their level of delusion

I used to think that. I was as biased as you are now. There is a lot of nuance in the game that is missed if you have not played the game. It is a very technical sport that is not apparent on a casual viewing.

Views such as yours are akin to people calling Gaelic football 'bogball' and hurling 'stick fighting'.

The funny part is there is a large overlap between other sports and the GAA in Ireland. You need only look at Mick Galwey, Niall Quinn, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Jason Sherlock, Michael Donnellan, Shane Horgan, Padraig Harrington, Jim Stynes, Brian Stynes, Tadgh Kennelly, Dennis Taylor, Kevin Moran, and Dennis irwin etc

Again it proves how egalitarian the GAA is.

Well, I disagree it means more just because it was more recent or people are alive who remember it. I can understand you wanting it to mean more because it's your own county but it is equal.

Tipps achievement is just as valid as Corks. 2 doubles each is fantastic.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the poll not having it there imo.

No one thought another county could do a double in the modern era. It wasn't achieved for one hundred years, but then Cork achieved it. That's why the Cork double of 1990 stands out from the other doubles imo.

I assume the poster means, that it showed that the GAA was progressive and no longer blinkered. At the time if I remember the argument was that if a neighbour had nowhere to stay you would help them out.

A lot of the anti argument at the time was based on bias against England and a biased view of history. All built up into something it wasn't. I am now ashamed to say that I was one of those against the playing of that England and Ireland game. Based on no real logic whatsoever.

But I had no problem attending a soccer match in CP (Ireland v italy 2009) and being amused at 'out and out' Dublin soccer people looking lost in the stadium.

I now see it was a chance to show off CP to others from other sporting organisations. And show an organisation with confidence and pride in itself.

Couldn't agree less. Let them give Croke Park to whoever. It was done for American Football decades before rugby ever got there. I attended a good few soccer matches there, just never felt deep emotion about it.

The context here, in this thread, is the greatest achievement in the history of the GAA. It is not, I would contend, the holding of a non-GAA event.

Funny you should mention "an organisation with confidence and pride in itself", yet here we are with someone claiming the hosting of a rugby match as the GAA's greatest achievement. That's a sign of an organisation lacking in pride and confidence and desperately looking outside for validation.

Do you think we have a nice stadium? Do ya? Do ya? Really?

An obvious great achievement that was left out of his poll was Dublin winning the National Hurling League in 2011.

Another great achievement in the GAA I have not seen mentioned yet is GAA people using 'middle management' Americanise speak.

For example:

Hurling people now seem to like the phrase 'learnings' in particular Derek McGrath.
    Football people now seem to love the phrase 'transitions' in particular James Horan.

:D

On a more serious note again shows the GAA's willingness to adapt and take things from other sports. And see if it improves things. In this day and age the GAA is more open to different ways of doing things than it ever has been. While also being firmly attached to its past and history.

Sweepers are no longer just for roads they have entered GAA teams!

Couldn't agree less. Let them give Croke Park to whoever. It was done for American Football decades before rugby ever got there. I attended a good few soccer matches there, just never felt deep emotion about it.

The context here, in this thread, is the greatest achievement in the history of the GAA. It is not, I would contend, the holding of a non-GAA event.

Funny you should mention "an organisation with confidence and pride in itself", yet here we are with someone claiming the hosting of a rugby match as the GAA's greatest achievement. That's a sign of an organisation lacking in pride and confidence and desperately looking outside for validation.

Do you think we have a nice stadium? Do ya? Do ya? Really?

Yes I was there when American football was played drinking beer and all. As for the opening CP to Rugby and Soccer. I believe you are missing a crucial part historical context with Rugby and Soccer. It showed a GAA and an Ireland with a more mature mindset. I am sure you know the history of the GAA and 'foreign sports' - ie ones seen as English?

It was not looking for validation it was a organisation showing maturity. It was also a organisation helping out a neighbour in need and making a few pound while showing such maturity.

The event in itself was not the greatest achievement in GAA history, but it was symptomatic of a maturity and modernisation of the GAA mindset in thinking. It is such thinking which is the GAA's greatest achievement not the one event itself. It has modernised while not forgetting its past and community ties.
    And remained amateur in ethos despite its modernisation some achievement in my view in the 21st century.

Yes I do think GAA have some great stadiums CP at its pinnacle. Very accessible for those with a differing mobility requirements. Great views from all but a few vantage points. To pretend that CP is not a great achievement and a great stadium is be obtuse in my opinion. Maybe you are not old enough to remember its development and the risk the GAA took in developing it?

No one thought another county could do a double in the modern era. It wasn't achieved for one hundred years, but then Cork achieved it. That's why the Cork double of 1990 stands out from the other doubles imo.

Fair enough, it stands out as it's your county but Tipps achievement is every bit an equal to it. Modern era? Does that mean anything won before a certain time means less?

With regard to the OP's poll and the standard and number of competitive counties at the time. It has to be the Dublin footballers because they changed football from what it had been. And brought it on leaps and bounds. I am not saying that just because I am Dub just looking it it logically.

Not only that all Dublin's wins came through 'the front door'.
    As I said Dublin changed football forever. Starting with Cluxton who revolutionised the goalkeeping position in Gaelic Football, plus that Dublin era had tremendous patience and calm. Also a level of tactical awareness and movement off the ball that can only be really appreciated when watching them live. Plus not only that the Dublin team had really stiff competition to face with other big teams been given a second chance through the back door. The only 'soft' all ireland was the most recent covid19 one which I do not really count.

The Kerry era the OP mentions while having undoubted great players were served well by the era and structure they were in. Kerry were in a hurling province and only had to 'peak' against one team. Meanwhile other counties had to battle just to get out of their province. There was no backdoor to save them.

In those days 'tactics' might only have extended to using a third midfielder. And fitness involved just running up hills.

There was little competition for that Kerry team in that era. How many teams pushed them?

As for the Cork team that did the double in 1990? Was it really that much of achievement?

Their footballers walloped an over the hill Kerry team in the Munster final
    Had an 'easy' route to the AI Final playing the winners of Connacht Roscommon, and then the winners of Ulster in Donegal.

OK Cork beat a Meath team who had won the All-Ireland in 1988 but they fell over the line in a dour low scoring game by 2 points.

In the Munster Hurling championship in 1990 Cork faced - Kerry, Waterford and then Tipp. In the AI SF it was an easy route to the final year where they faced Antrim in the SF.

In the final Cork beat great Galway side (who won the AI in 1980 and 1987 and 1988)
    But how competitive was hurling then overall?

The chat about the double hurling/football being the hardest thing to win at intercounty always makes me laugh. Because there are only two counties who are strong occasionally strong dual counties in the history of the GAA Galway and Cork. Given that fact is no wonder it has not been done very often!

Also how many dual players were on that Cork team that won the AI double in 1990 that were starting on the two teams. Teddy McCarthy?

To be honest I would have been more impressed with Ballyboden/Shaughtneil's doubles as it was mostly the same players in both codes.

In all seriousness the Cork double should not even be in the poll imo.

There is some argument for the Kilkenny teams success as it was down to Cody he dragged them up to a super level of consistency and was ruthless. But imo the Dublin footballers edge it over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Unfollow"

1) The event in itself was not the greatest achievement in GAA history,

2) To pretend that CP is not a great achievement and a great stadium is be obtuse in my opinion.

1) Exactly my point.

2) Never said Croke Park wasn't a great achievement. My issue was the cringey confidence-lacking need for validation from outside this country.

And it's not "obtuse" by the way. It's just a different opinion to you.

• Advertisement

With regard to the OP's poll and the standard and number of competitive counties at the time. It has to be the Dublin footballers because they changed football from what it had been. And brought it on leaps and bounds. I am not saying that just because I am Dub just looking it it logically.

Not only that all Dublin's wins came through 'the front door'.
    As I said Dublin changed football forever. Starting with Cluxton who revolutionised the goalkeeping position in Gaelic Football, plus that Dublin era had tremendous patience and calm. Also a level of tactical awareness and movement off the ball that can only be really appreciated when watching them live. Plus not only that the Dublin team had really stiff competition to face with other big teams been given a second chance through the back door. The only 'soft' all ireland was the most recent covid19 one which I do not really count.

The Kerry era the OP mentions while having undoubted great players were served well by the era and structure they were in. Kerry were in a hurling province and only had to 'peak' against one team. Meanwhile other counties had to battle just to get out of their province. There was no backdoor to save them.

In those days 'tactics' might only have extended to using a third midfielder. And fitness involved just running up hills.

There was little competition for that Kerry team in that era. How many teams pushed them?

As for the Cork team that did the double in 1990? Was it really that much of achievement?

Their footballers walloped an over the hill Kerry team in the Munster final
    Had an 'easy' route to the AI Final playing the winners of Connacht Roscommon, and then the winners of Ulster in Donegal.

OK Cork beat a Meath team who had won the All-Ireland in 1988 but they fell over the line in a dour low scoring game by 2 points.

In the Munster Hurling championship in 1990 Cork faced - Kerry, Waterford and then Tipp. In the AI SF it was an easy route to the final year where they faced Antrim.

In the final Cork beat great Galway side (who won the AI in 1980 and 1987 and 1988)
    But how competitive was hurling then?

The chat about the double hurling/football being the hardest thing to win at intercounty always makes me laugh. Because there are only two counties who are strong Dual counties in the history of the GAA Galway and Cork. Given that fact is no wonder it has not been done very often!

Also how many dual players were on that Cork team that won the AI double in 1990 that were on the two teams. Teddy McCarthy?

To be honest I would have been more impressed with Ballyboden/Shaughtneil's doubles as it was mostly the same players in both codes.

In all seriousness the Cork double should not even be in the poll imo.

There is some argument for the Kilkenny teams success as it was down to Cody he dragged them up to a super level of consistency and was ruthless. But imo the Dublin footballers edge it over them.

As for the Cork team that did the double in 1990. Was it really that much of an achievement you ask? Yes it was for the reasons i've already outlined. That Cork football team was the last team, to win back to back all Irelands until Kerry in 2006/2007. The hurling team had a core of players, that won all Irelands in 1984 and 1986 as well. The Cork double should not even be on the poll you say. Ah come on you're on the wind up here!

Advertisement