Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blaine was gone already before the mass cull. It was just most of the European fighters, list as long as my arm

Yeah, Blane had recently fought in Brave.

Looks like the entirety of Europe was just sliced out of the roster due to Covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Ricky Bandejas cut aswell, suprised they didnt keep him for the usual canned "hyped up Gallagher fight in a PPV bad blood revenge fight that is 3 years in the making" ( in my best Goldie accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Combat Jiu Jitsu Worlds Welterweights live on Fight Pass now.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Combat Jiu Jitsu Worlds Welterweights live on Fight Pass now.

How was it.

Roberto Jimenez would have been my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Claressa Shields made her MMA debut last night at PFL.

They managed to find an opponent for her who:
    • had a 3-6 record
    • had not fought in 2 and a half years
    • had not won in 5 years
    • suffered a catastrophic arm break in her last fight and never got surgery to fix it

and Shields still nearly lost. She ended up on her back for the first 2 rounds but managed to get on top and ground & pound her way to a TKO victory in the 3rd.

By all accounts she needs serious amount of work on her ground game. Before the fight she was talking about continuing to defend her boxing belts. I wonder will she realise that there may not be enough time to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Claressa Shields made her MMA debut last night at PFL.

They managed to find an opponent for her who:
    • had a 3-6 record
    • had not fought in 2 and a half years
    • had not won in 5 years
    • suffered a catastrophic arm break in her last fight and never got surgery to fix it

and Shields still nearly lost. She ended up on her back for the first 2 rounds but managed to get on top and ground & pound her way to a TKO victory in the 3rd.

By all accounts she needs serious amount of work on her ground game. Before the fight she was talking about continuing to defend her boxing belts. I wonder will she realise that there may not be enough time to do both.

Just watched it. Ive no idea how Elkin managed to lose that fight. She had top control for almost all of round 1 in full mount, and wasted the entire time just hunting for an americana. Same with round 2, full mount and spent the entire round just kinda laying on top of her instead of trying to ground n pound. Missed a perfect armbar opportunity, it was insane. Shields was gifted that win. Any UFC fighter would smoke her

By all accounts she needs serious amount of work on her ground game.
    Scott Coker offer this steallar insight.

"I just will say this: I think that the road gets much tougher moving forward and somebody that really has a good wrestling background and good submission game is going to be very dangerous against a pure striker."

That's why Scott gets the big bucks guys. :pac:
    Just watched it. Ive no idea how Elkin managed to lose that fight. She had top control for almost all of round 1 in full mount, and wasted the entire time just hunting for an americana. Same with round 2, full mount and spent the entire round just kinda laying on top of her instead of trying to ground n pound. Missed a perfect armbar opportunity, it was insane. Shields was gifted that win. Any UFC fighter would smoke her

Her team/gym claims to be sambo fighters. Which would not align with that performance

Mellor wrote: »
    Scott Coker offer this steallar insight.

"I just will say this: I think that the road gets much tougher moving forward and somebody that really has a good wrestling background and good submission game is going to be very dangerous against a pure striker."

That's why Scott gets the big bucks guys. :pac:

Her team/gym claims to be sambo fighters. Which would not align with that performance

Apparently shes a BJJ brown belt which i was stunned to hear. I know BJJ isnt as straightforward when you have the threat of being punched/kicked, but god damn she looked like someone with a months training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Just watched it there and have to agree.

I assume shields is pretty strong physically from a lifetime of elite boxing but she should have been finished.

If she committed to MMA and spent a year in a really good ground game gym she could potentially do well, I just feel that as is she is going nowhere fast, and the talk of dual sporting will do her more harm than good in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Rory MacDonald robbed by the judges in a split decision loss to Gleison Tibau last night.

The incompetency of MMA judges at times is truly shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Rory MacDonald robbed by the judges in a split decision loss to Gleison Tibau last night.

The incompetency of MMA judges at times is truly shocking

That was more than incompetency, few dollars were made somewhere on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

https://twitter.com/Barrelelapierna/status/1407765066297008140?s=19

Win for Smullen not going to get him back to the big leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone know what the story is with Ian Garry?

https://twitter.com/iangarryMMA/status/1408128721094053902?s=19

Looks like he has split from his team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with Ian Garry?

https://twitter.com/iangarryMMA/status/1408128721094053902?s=19

Looks like he has split from his team?

I'm going with ufc offer if he wins saturday, team Kf said to soon and he disagreed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

but1er wrote: »
    I'm going with ufc offer if he wins saturday, team Kf said to soon and he disagreed

Not a bad shout actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I woukdnt say so, his team had said only a few weeks ago he was ready for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

but1er wrote: »

No chance the split happened 10 days out from a title fight must be more to it,

I could be wrong but is he living in England with the missus ? Would make it hard to train with Team KF given current covid situation

I'm sure after Saturday the whole story will be told,

I could be wrong but is he living in England with the missus ? Would make it hard to train with Team KF given current covid situation

As an example, gunni lived and trained in Iceland while being cornered by SBG

As an example, gunni lived and trained in Iceland while being cornered by SBG

Ye but that was precovid , Things are bit more complicated now ,

Knowing Chris Fields he will rightly not say a word until the fight is done the weekend and then i'm sure you'll hear his side of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Muai Thai card on in Dubai with Craig Coakley on it.

https://youtu.be/DIFPZFNxcLo

Might interest a few here as I know some would know him from DCA.

First fight was a cracker, Craig is on in about 6/7 fights time.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Muai Thai card on in Dubai with Craig Coakley on it.

https://youtu.be/DIFPZFNxcLo

Might interest a few here as I know some would know him from DCA.

First fight was a cracker, Craig is on in about 6/7 fights time.

I love Muay Thai, but i cant watch events like this simply because of the bloody traditional music. I tried watching some stuff on fight pass a while ago and lasted about 10 minutes before i had to turn it off.

Ye but that was precovid , Things are bit more complicated now ,

Knowing Chris Fields he will rightly not say a word until the fight is done the weekend and then i'm sure you'll hear his side of the story

Absolutely, I don’t think he would try hit the media and take away from the fight.
    But I’d also be surprised if Garry finishing camp in England was the trigger to drop corner duties 10 days out. Feels like a big deal to me

Absolutely, I don’t think he would try hit the media and take away from the fight.
    But I’d also be surprised if Garry finishing camp in England was the trigger to drop corner duties 10 days out. Feels like a big deal to me

Knowing the people involved it seems like something major must have happened for Garry to say the lads at KF dropped him 10 days out ,

I love Muay Thai, but i cant watch events like this simply because of the bloody traditional music. I tried watching some stuff on fight pass a while ago and lasted about 10 minutes before i had to turn it off.

I lived over there for a while and have been to I don't know how many live fights that I think my mind blanks it out automatically.

Someone just got disqualified there for biting someone, been a great card so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ah I love the music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Any good fights in the Bellator event tonight.

Follow the UFC but never really bothered with any other promotions (sat night suits me)

Worth staying up to watch tonight?

Craig wins by split decision in a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Any good fights in the Bellator event tonight.

Follow the UFC but never really bothered with any other promotions (sat night suits me)

Worth staying up to watch tonight?

None on the line up stand out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Main event and Carmouche v Watanabe maybe, rest don't hugely grab me. From watching Watanabe's last fight she's just waiting to take a total pummelling from a strong striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

That was a good win by Ian Garry yesterday. Really solid display and showed excellent ground work against a very good grappler.

Five solid rounds to add to his experience, and with evertyhing that happened this week he dealt with the fight excellently. Supposedly the fight was almost being cancelled on Friday because he was planning on going in without anyone in his corner. Graham Boylan told him no way could he do that, so Ian got Paul Hughes to corner him.

It looks like a move to the UFC is probably inevitable at this stage. I wonder will he maybe make one title defence before making the junp up?

Hopefully he gets the team sitautaion sorted out. If he's living in Dublin wjere does he go to train? Team Ryano or SBG HQ are probably the only realistic options. SBG D24 with Paddy Hoolihan or SBG Tallaght/Naas are other slim pissobilities.

He might be better served with a move to one of the bigger UK gyms or even moving over to America.

Advertisement