Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Disrespectful words about Muay Thai world titles aside, (Sean is a former WBC super lightweight champ, a cage Muay Thai champ and an ISKA Irish champion, also WBC Muay that fighter of the year in 2019) he was absolutely fed to a shark in there. Levels of difference between them and the busted orbital and other damage he picked up early in the fight ended it as a contest anyway.

I like Clancy, nice fella but I'd be worried he's gonna get seriously hurt in 4oz gloves because he is just too easy to hit.

His game has always been take the punishment and his cardio sees him through as the opponent tires but he isn't gonna get away with that with those little gloves.

Siam warriors in cork is a top operation and Martin has been amazing for the sport in Ireland. He has brought over top Thais and consistently puts on great shows. Will always support clubber and hope he does well even if it was just that he is the only Irishman in the organisation but coming from Siam warriors makes it easier to root for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Disrespectful words about Muay Thai world titles aside, (Sean is a former WBC super lightweight champ, a cage Muay Thai champ and an ISKA Irish champion, also WBC Muay that fighter of the year in 2019) he was absolutely fed to a shark in there. Levels of difference between them and the busted orbital and other damage he picked up early in the fight ended it as a contest anyway.

I like Clancy, nice fella but I'd be worried he's gonna get seriously hurt in 4oz gloves because he is just too easy to hit.

His game has always been take the punishment and his cardio sees him through as the opponent tires but he isn't gonna get away with that with those little gloves.

Siam warriors in cork is a top operation and Martin has been amazing for the sport in Ireland. He has brought over top Thais and consistently puts on great shows. Will always support clubber and hope he does well even if it was just that he is the only Irishman in the organisation but coming from Siam warriors makes it easier to root for him.

Agree with all of this. Any show I went to in the Neptune was always filled with quality fights too.

Seen Sean fight a few times in Thailand, very nice fella too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Leah McCourt looked exhausted in the first then in serious trouble in the second then pulls a savage finish out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Leah McCourt looked exhausted in the first then in serious trouble in the second then pulls a savage finish out of the bag.

She looked like she was about to be finished and had no chance of winning. Struggled to get the takedown, was getting controlled in the clinch and even when she did get Harding down, Harding got up straight away.

That upkick changed things completely though, Harding was rocked to her boots from it and it made the triangle a lot easier to pull off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ajsmiles

2 events in a row virgin media, give us the pleasure of missing the main event.

• Advertisement

Ajsmiles wrote: »
    2 events in a row virgin media, give us the pleasure of missing the main event.

I'd gone to bed but wha??

Ye went to bed myself, but schedule recording stopped during the co-main event

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ajsmiles wrote: »
    Ye went to bed myself, but schedule recording stopped during the co-main event

That’s not Virgin Media’s fault. They still played the fight. That’s (I assume) just the way your Sky+ works.

No worries, next event I will just recorded the next program

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Big Ears wrote: »
    She looked like she was about to be finished and had no chance of winning. Struggled to get the takedown, was getting controlled in the clinch and even when she did get Harding down, Harding got up straight away.

That upkick changed things completely though, Harding was rocked to her boots from it and it made the triangle a lot easier to pull off.

I think she did very well to pull that off. I had serious doubts about her going into this one, she had shoulder surgery last year, put on quite a bit of weight and that was telling as she missed by so much at the weigh-in. While no world beater I can't help but root for Leah though, love to see her do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

weemcd wrote: »
    I think she did very well to pull that off. I had serious doubts about her going into this one, she had shoulder surgery last year, put on quite a bit of weight and that was telling as she missed by so much at the weigh-in. While no world beater I can't help but root for Leah though, love to see her do well.

I didn't know about the shoulder surgery but I was surprised to see her miss weight by so much.

She was definetly lucky to get the win alright. I can't take to her but I'll always root for her because she's Irish. Her opponent seemed to tap out fairly quick once Leah rolled her over. The up kick was solid though, and well timed when you watch it back. It wasn't just a panicky up kick, it was well placed and intentional.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I didn't know about the shoulder surgery but I was surprised to see her miss weight by so much.

She was definetly lucky to get the win alright. I can't take to her but I'll always root for her because she's Irish. Her opponent seemed to tap out fairly quick once Leah rolled her over. The up kick was solid though, and well timed when you watch it back. It wasn't just a panicky up kick, it was well placed and intentional.
    That was my take away, the upkick had no panic and was placed with perfection.

When a fighter misses weight by so much there's usually a reason, she also looked exhausted in the 1st so potentially killed herself trying to make weight too. I have to give it to her, she travels to Dublin to train daily and is a single mother, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

She could barely catch her breath even in the post fight interview, she definitely got lucky with that win, though to be fair it was a good triangle.

Bit crazy that Leah McCourt is #7 in a division where Cyborg is champion and will now likely to go #6 or #5. In fact Sinead Kavanagh is #5 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Mccourt vs kavanagh in Dublin is the fight to make

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

I'm glad she got the win in the end, but that was a shocking performance. Leah just looks so stiff when she is striking, she got incredibly lucky that her opponent made the mistake of willingly going to the ground with her when she had her rocked. I just find it hilarious the expectation you would have of her abilities from seeing her instagram and interviews with all the over the top bragging and overconfidence typical of SBG fighters and then seeing her actually fight. She really seems delusional about how good she actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Yeah agreed a clout chasing Instagram fighter in my opinion, no skills there to back it up.

Frans Mlambo fighting Friday for the belt on fenmma

First round sub for Frans. Massive win.. 3-1 in Bellator surprised they didn't hang onto him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

but1er wrote: »
    First round sub for Frans. Massive win.. 3-1 in Bellator surprised they didn't hang onto him
    Was a nice submission.

Bellator did a huge cut of European fighters recently. I think the Euro series is done.

Frans, Paul Redmond, Rishie Smullen, Karl Moore
    Plus other fighters from Italy and the like

Mellor wrote: »
    Was a nice submission.

Bellator did a huge cut of European fighters recently. I think the Euro series is done.

Frans, Paul Redmond, Rishie Smullen, Karl Moore
    Plus other fighters from Italy and the like

Will Fleury too.

Shame, I enjoyed the events in the Point, great to get to a big show.

• Advertisement

Kavanagh must'nt be the flavor of the month with the suits there anymore if a heap of his lads got cut.

Kavanagh must'nt be the flavor of the month with the suits there anymore if a heap of his lads got cut.

Or maybe it was nonsense talk all along.

Or maybe it was nonsense talk all along.

His relationship with the match makers is well known in mma circles, hes poached one already from Bellator for wimp to warrior, must be coincidental nonsense though lol

His relationship with the match makers is well known in mma circles, hes poached one already from Bellator for wimp to warrior, must be coincidental nonsense though lol
    He has connections in multiple promotions, so do most big teams, it one of the perks of a big team. A couple of SBG guys have been used as cans to fill out an undercard. Very different to the guys given contracts.
    When a match maker needs a guy on short notice, he goes to an existing contact rather than a unknown small team. That's really just sensible for the match maker.

But the idea that Frans Mlambo was signed as a favour to John is just a bit silly.

Edit:
    And not sure if Richy Chou joining W2W counts as being poached. It's a completely different company.

With All JK guys cut from bellator and hes not talking to GB so no cage warrirors. SBG fighters must be thinking were do we go from here. Be interesting to see

but1er wrote: »
    With All JK guys cut from bellator and hes not talking to GB so no cage warrirors. SBG fighters must be thinking were do we go from here. Be interesting to see

Well Frans just fought and won a title.
    Richie has a fight booked in a few weeks.

Who else from SBG was cut?
    Presume not Queally, Crosby or Gallagher

Well Frans just fought and won a title.
    Richie has a fight booked in a few weeks.

Who else from SBG was cut?
    Presume not Queally, Crosby or Gallagher

Mandy Bohm who subsequently signed to the UFC and Will Fleury, however Will put up a miserable looking dinner on social mediaast night which usually means he's in camp so I expect an announcement soon. Off the top of my head that was it but I could be wrong

Mandy Bohm who subsequently signed to the UFC and Will Fleury, however Will put up a miserable looking dinner on social mediaast night which usually means he's in camp so I expect an announcement soon. Off the top of my head that was it but I could be wrong

Turns out I was wrong, Ion Pascu and Richard Kiely also got cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Turns out I was wrong, Ion Pascu and Richard Kiely also got cut

Blaine O'Driscoll too I'd imagine? Dylan Logan??

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Blaine O'Driscoll too I'd imagine? Dylan Logan??

Blaine was gone already before the mass cull. It was just most of the European fighters, list as long as my arm

Advertisement