Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Odhinn wrote: »
    You have a source for this?
    The source is Omar's own statements.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Criticising the leader is portrayed as criticising the county.
    Classic authoritarian move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

notobtuse wrote: »
    The source is Omar's own statements.

Could you provide a link to her saying that, then?

20Cent wrote: »
    None of that is right.
    Antifa apologists… here’s a verse for you…

Isaiah 5:20 King James Version (KJV)

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

None of that is right.

I was askin in good faith, I have no idea what they are or about.
    Heard some guy on rogan the other day moanin about them. At length.
    Finished the episode non the wiser about what they’re about at all

• Advertisement

I was askin in good faith, I have no idea what they are or about.
    Heard some guy on rogan the other day moanin about them. At length.
    Finished the episode non the wiser about what they’re about at all

They are people who counter protest far right events.
    Thats all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Such faux outrage. Trump called out Congresswoman Ilhan Omar in a tweet, the Somali-born left-wing member of Congress who feels her new country is a hellhole. Omar's assimilation into America is the assimilation of identity politics and grievance, and her default is to blame America first. Trump urged her to return to her native country and fix it before presuming to tell us what to do. I believe many Americans agree with what Trump thinks in this matter. And let’s face it, Omar proved Trump’s point when she still refuses to say she does not support Al Qaeda. She is a radical anti-Semitic ingrate. Omar’s approval ratings are in the toilet at 9% and I’m surprised they’re even that high. Trump Derangement Syndrome rots the brain!

Indeed and the outrage should be about how when confronted about a member of Antifa being killed tying to burn down a Government buildings and Government vehicles, using rhetoric that started with THEM, they all refused to answer the question..... these are people that have been comparing America with Nazi Germany, calling the current administration fascists but yet making excuses for American Muslims drawn tp becoming Islamic extremists ....

Damn right such people should be told that if they don't like it, leave, and if an Irish person was a member of congress back when we were a mess with our issues with brown envelopes and poor economy, I'd have absolutely no issue with them being asked why they don't go back and sort out the problems in Ireland if they were waffling on about how the American administration was fascist and as bad as Nazi Germany and writing letters on the side looking for lighter sentences for those recruiting for the Real IRA.

In any case, Trump looks like he's not for turning, and nor should he be.

https://twitter.com/McAllisterDen/status/1151094051472646145

Antifa apologists… here’s a verse for you…

Isaiah 5:20 King James Version (KJV)

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

20Cent 4:20 King Kurt Version (KKV)

20 Ask me bollix

Thats all really.

Cool thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Obviously not a downright lie then, correct? And who 'deeply criticized' the Democrat group that put out the poll? Aliens?

You made a statement that her approval rating is at 9% without qualifying that the information is from a very select group of people (non college educated white males) that are not going to vote left. It's not based on information from a cross section of the voting public in her area so it is a falsehood to say her approval rating overall is at 9%

It's been criticised by political strategists and commentators, smartarse.

• Advertisement

Could you provide a link to her saying that, then?
    It’s a logical conclusion from a variety of statements Omar has made. One for example… According to Omar, there’s barely a difference between this country and terrorist groups like Al Qaeda. In a 2013 interview, Omar complained that people seem to think there’s a big difference between America and Al Qaeda. "When I was in college, I took a terrorism class," she said. "Every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda,’ his shoulders went up. He’d say 'Al Qaeda' and 'Hezbollah.' You don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity. You don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity." And in a speech to CHAIR she said "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties." What do you think ‘some people did something’ means?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

Thats all really.

Are you serious "thats all really". Did you forget about the innocent journalist that they beat up or the terrorist attack on an ICE facility?

Thats all really.

LMAO :p

They vandalise buildings and property, they attack conservative reporters when non-far-right high profile conservatives are set to speak, smashing windows and audio equipment in an attempt to get them called off, they split people's heads open with bats and bike locks, they violently beat journalists that write negatively about them and most recently arm themselves with rifles and attempt to firebomb Immigration enforcement centres in the US.

'People who just counter protest far right events'?? Yeah, sure they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Indeed and the outrage should be about how when confronted about a member of Antifa being killed tying to burn down a Government buildings and Government vehicles, using rhetoric that started with THEM, they all refused to answer the question..... these are people that have been comparing America with Nazi Germany, calling the current administration fascists but yet making excuses for American Muslims drawn tp becoming Islamic extremists ....

Damn right such people should be told that if they don't like it, leave, and if an Irish person was a member of congress back when we were a mess with our issues with brown envelopes and poor economy, I'd have absolutely no issue with them being asked why they don't go back and sort out the problems in Ireland if they were waffling on about how the American administration was fascist and as bad as Nazi Germany and writing letters on the side looking for lighter sentences for those recruiting for the Real IRA.

In any case, Trump looks like he's not for turning, and nor should he be.

https://twitter.com/McAllisterDen/status/1151094051472646145
    And the 3 other (non-white) congresswomen who were born in America who Trump also told to go back to where they came from? Where do you think they should go back to?

Funny how you lads seem to be concentrating solely on Omar here just cos she's the only one who wasn't born in the states

Telling people of colour to go back to where they came from is the definition of racism. Yous bang on about lefties having Trump Derangement Syndrome but it's as much a thing on the right. Some people are so deranged when it comes to supporting Trump that they'll literally defend anything he says or does, including outright racism.

George Conway wrote a good op-ed on this yesterday. I expect you'll just dismiss it though as he probably has Trump Derangement Syndrome aswell

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-conway-trump-is-a-racist-president/2019/07/15/b13c0bd4-a740-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4d5c9062c5eb

You made a statement that her approval rating is at 9% without qualifying that the information is from a very select group of people (non college educated white males) that are not going to vote left. It's not based on information based on a cross section of the voting public in her area so it is a falsehood to say her approval rating overall is at 9%

It's been criticised by political strategists and commentators, smartarse.
    So, still obviously not a downright lie then, eh, my friend? And criticized by some democratic political strategists and their commentator minions in the media… Well, knock me over with a feather!

LMAO :p

They vandalise buildings and property, they attack journalists when non-far-right conservatives are speaking, smashing windows and audio equipment in an attempt to get them called off, they split people's heads open with bats and bike locks, they violently beat journalists that write negatively about them and most recently arm themselves with rifles and firebomb Immigration enforcement centres in the US.

People who just counter protest far right events? Yeah, sure.

Bit of argy bargy, no big deal compared to 50 murders by the far right in the US last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It’s a logical conclusion from a variety of statements Omar has made. One for example… According to Omar, there’s barely a difference between this country and terrorist groups like Al Qaeda. In a 2013 interview, Omar complained that people seem to think there’s a big difference between America and Al Qaeda. "When I was in college, I took a terrorism class," she said. "Every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda,’ his shoulders went up. He’d say 'Al Qaeda' and 'Hezbollah.' You don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity. You don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity." And in a speech to CHAIR she said "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something, and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties." What do you think ‘some people did something’ means?

Total cack, replete with cherry picked remarks, which is why you can't provide a straight quote.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/trump-falsely-accuses-omar-al-qaeda-fact-check/index.html

Received death threats it seems.

‘Carlineo called Rep. Omar’s office last month and told a staffer: “She’s a ****ing terrorist. I’ll put a bullet in her ****ing skull.” FBI found that he owned two guns.’

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1114527083731066880?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

It ain't liberals who live in a "real" world of irrational hate and fear fueled by their dependency on religion and consequent perceived loss of control of others.

LOL! You’re describing Trump Derangement Syndrome, not the right.

It’s the left that lost their minds right after losing control of the Whitehouse and swiftly descent into shrieking on twitter about concentration camps while attacking anybody in a red hat.
    The fact you bring up the religious right (which hasn't been in a significant political power broker since the early 2000's) is further proof that it’s the left who have little connection to reality.
    The anti-science, book burning, video game banning, moral authoritarians with a fanatical dogma aren’t on the right any more, they’re staring you in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Indeed and the outrage should be about how when confronted about a member of Antifa being killed tying to burn down a Government buildings and Government vehicles, using rhetoric that started with THEM

More guff. Willem Van Spronsen had been an anarchist activist for many years. Long before any of those congresswomen were elected. His rhetoric had been consistent for a long time. He was arrested a year ago protesting outside the very same detention centre. He was clear enough that his motivation for the incendiary attack was the Trump announced ICE crackdown. Unless there’s some manner of time machine involved it’s simply nonsense to suggest his rhetoric, or actions were anything to do with (the entirely justifiable) criticisms leveled by the congresswomen.

• Advertisement

Total cack, replete with cherry picked remarks, which is why you can't provide a straight quote.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/trump-falsely-accuses-omar-al-qaeda-fact-check/index.html
    I think CNN hates Trump more than most here. From your own link. ‘It is possible to argue that Omar was making light of al Qaeda's crimes in suggesting that its name itself is what makes people recoil, or that she was implying that there is an equivalence between al Qaeda and the US army.’ Coming from the biased and Trump hating CNN that’s about as close as once can get to accusing her of believing America is a hellhole.

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Are you serious "thats all really". Did you forget about the innocent journalist that they beat up or the terrorist attack on an ICE facility?

The ‘innocent journalist’:
    https://splinternews.com/london-has-fallen-according-to-this-racist-wall-street-1828725242

Received death threats it seems.

‘Carlineo called Rep. Omar’s office last month and told a staffer: “She’s a ****ing terrorist. I’ll put a bullet in her ****ing skull.” FBI found that he owned two guns.’

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1114527083731066880?s=21

Remember the Democrat and Bernie Sanders supporter who actually did shoot up a bunch of Republicans congressman and women playing baseball?

I think CNN hates Trump more than most here. From your own link. ‘It is possible to argue that Omar was making light of al Qaeda's crimes in suggesting that its name itself is what makes people recoil, or that she was implying that there is an equivalence between al Qaeda and the US army.’ Coming from the biased and Trump hating CNN that’s about as close as once can get to accusing her of believing America is a hellhole.

Yeah, it’s actually no such thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Bit of argy bargy, no big deal compared to 50 murders by the far right in the US last year.

It is clear that the far right pose a big threat in the world. The problem here is that while the vast majority of the far right are all more talk than action, some will take their rhetoric further and turn it into action.

Some then like Trump think that bringing the far right into the mainstream will appease them and knock off the rough edges but ever since Trump allowed April 2018 to happen, the American government has taken several turns for the WORSE. The violent fringe lunatic shooters feel more emboldened and when you have a blatantly incendiary regime like the Bolton regime in power thanks to a weak, capitulating president like Trump, then they cannot be surprised when the likes of a Cesar Sayoc turn the rhetoric of Gilead-styled rallies into acts of terrorism. It is time for more responsibility and for the American regime to act more like a government than a Handmaid's Tale-type cult. Until the April 2018 wing of the regime is removed, nothing resembling a proper decent government can form. The longer this regime is in power, the closer America will get to a Gilead, Nazi, Christian Taliban, neo-KKK type murderous terrorist state. Now is the time to act and keep America a civilised country.

Republicans and Democrats do NEED to open serious dialogue and the whole issue of tit for tat knocking of each other needs to stop. The rot started by the April 2018 regime and the rise of more hardline Democrats who answer it back has the potential to lead to civil war and then all bets are off. All this ICE carry on and breaking the Iran deal before that open up old wounds best kept closed. Try telling the Bolton regime that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So, still obviously not a downright lie then, eh, my friend? And criticized by some democratic political strategists and their commentator minions in the media… Well, knock me over with a feather!

You're trying to win most ironic username by the looks of it...

Hold my pumpkin latté

That's your winning argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Rein it in, guys. Stop sniping at each other.

• Advertisement

It's not a competition. How many times do you have to be told? People (some, at least) can be against all forms of extremist violence, be it on the left, or the right.

Everyone I have seen criticize the violence of Antifa, has no problem condemning the violence of the far right and so you're just embarrassing yourself by constantly referring to it. All it will result in is you being given a history lesson when it comes to deaths caused by communism, and so why are you bothering.

Rhetorical question of course, as we know why, it's just the usual effort at deflection, as you, and a few others, can't stand people talking negatively about fascist Antifa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement