Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes to the Pictures: The Reveal

• 09-11-2020 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've been super busy watching about four to five movies every day since last Saturday. Still have 8 left to watch, but even if I take my foot off the gas now, should be good to go for a grand reveal this weekend, and still have plenty of time to tidy up reviews and get other finnicky things like scoreboards and the like done.

As long as I'm not stepping on anyone else's toes, my plan is to reveal the first two rounds on Friday evening (the 13th, perfect day for a Horror Movie reveal, swiftly followed by some Comedies to calm the nerves again before bed), and the final two rounds on Saturday evening (the 14th, when things get serious and intellectual with some hard hitting Documentaries, before winding down in style with some Epic Soundtracks).

giphy.gif

A reminder of all the categories...

1. The Horror ; I don't scare easy, but I love a good Horror, Slasher or Teen Scream all the same, so that's all I want here, something that will hopefully have me cowering behind the couch and jumping at every little sound for days after, or at the very least sitting at the edge of my seat shouting angrily at the stupidity of the characters on screen.

2. The Comedy ; I'm sure I've probably mentioned my four years working as a Stand-Up Comedian (back in my early-mid twenties) here before, so needless to say I enjoy a good laugh, so hit me with your favourite comedy films for this one.

3. The Documentary ; I'm a sucker for a true (and often unbelievable) story, so documentaries tend to go down well with me, yet are often the hardest to get recommendations on, so show me what you got.

4. The Great Film with a Killer Soundtrack ; so in this one I'll be ranking both the overall film (the story, the acting, etc.) and the soundtrack, so there'll be more points on offer here than in the other categories (UPDATE: I've since thought of a better way to grade this one, and it'll actually be the same amount of points as every other category, but they'll be aggregated differently and in a more unique way than I had intended). I definitely think an epic soundtrack can elevate a lackluster film and vice versa, but I really want the best of the best here, so both aspects should be great as far as you're concerned and I'm sure I'll definitely be disagreeing heartily with some of them, such is the fun of Walrus... :D

giphy.gif

This is probably as good a time as any to announce that I won't be holding back in my reviews, please remember that it's just my opinion, and please don't take any of the harsh commentary of the film I didn't like to heart... don't be offended by some randomer on the interwebs. If you do get offended after I've said not to, then that's on you my friend for putting forward a f**king terrible film anyway ;)

So be here (hopefully) Friday the 13th of November @ 7pm for the Big Big Double Feature Movie Walrus Premiere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Fair play LeVar, that was very quick!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Fair play LeVar, that was very quick!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope you had some happy viewings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just curious LB, how many of the films had you seen before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope you had some happy viewings

Ah yeah, some great ones...

And some unhappy ones... There were a couple of stinkers in the mix as well...

• Advertisement

Just curious LB, how many of the films had you seen before?

17 out of 49. Most of those I hadn't seen in a long long time and couldn't remember them too well though. Watched them all again anyway for reviewing purposes.

Probably worth bearing this in mind before the reveal... ;)
    “Did we even see the same movie?”

If you’ve ever uttered that exasperated line, you know how deflating it can be to leave the theater gushing, only to have your enthusiasm punctured by the curmudgeon you were just sharing popcorn with.

And as this year’s summer blockbuster lineup shapes up, promising the usual mix of sequels, superhero flicks, and animated kid-pleasers, we can (most likely) look forward to yet another season of passionate arguments about what constitutes a good film. Is there anything more alienating than hearing the whole office buzzing about—or opening the newspaper to a rave review of—something you yawned through?

That thing we call taste—it’s deeply personal, and even more idiosyncratic than we may have thought, at least according to new research by NYU psychology professor Pascal Wallisch and Rutgers University’s Jake Whritner, a graduate of Tisch’s Cinema Studies Program and Wallisch’s former student.

Qouted from... https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/june/pascal-wallisch-on-movie-taste.html

To keep the thread active in the run-up to the reveal on Friday evening, I'm going to post 3 films each day that I might've gone for personally in each category and that would've done well with me had they been chosen...

First up...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Shallows is a class movie. Not seen the others but they're going on the list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I've seen Circle and The shallows, just checked my imdb ratings, I gave them 5 and 6 respectively. That might sound low but a 6 is quite good from me :)

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    I've seen Circle and The shallows, just checked my imdb ratings, I gave them 5 and 6 respectively. That might sound low but a 6 is quite good from me :)

Been a few years since I've seen either in fairness, but loved them at the time, and they were two of the first that popped in to my head. I'm not saying they're the best films or anything, but definitely very enjoyable.

Train To Busan, is by far the best Zombie movie ever made and just a great movie in general. I highly recommend everyone watch that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

mmm, all of a sudden I don't feel confident at all about my placing in the horror category

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Glad to see Train to Busan as one of the movies you liked, its a great movie and it means you are open to watching foreign movies, since I sent a foreign language one, still doesn't mean you liked my entry though, but I hope you did. Circle was a fun movie too

Irish Aris wrote: »
    mmm, all of a sudden I don't feel confident at all about my placing in the horror category

giphy.gif

There's a sadistic part of me that's glad your confidence is shook. I'd like nothing more than if everyone was worried about this reveal. ;)

Just to put the fear up everyone even more...

There's at least 1 film in each category that I genuinely hated, so with that extra bit of knowledge I would hope people are worried about their choices...

I had to sit through those bloody things... I ain't holding back... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I had to sit through those bloody things... I ain't holding back... :D
    You survived to tell the tale, so it can't be as bad as what LadySkunk had to sit through ;)

(and no, I know I'm involved here, I was just having a nose :p)

You survived to tell the tale, so it can't be as bad as what LadySkunk had to sit through ;)

(and no, I know I'm involved here, I was just having a nose :p)

Spectators are Welcome EN. Nose Away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I had my a-game on for this. Although I wouldn't be the most knowledgeable about films, I know what I like. Hope some of ye are introduced to some good ones! I'm downloading the Train to Busan as we speak.

Dammit. Was gonna go for Fighting With My Family and all :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    Dammit. Was gonna go for Fighting With My Family and all :pac:

Would've been a great shout if you had, it would've topped that category with relative ease.

No regrets though, right?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I don't watch comedy, see enough in FG, so not seen any of these.

Would've been a great shout if you had, it would've topped that category with relative ease.

No regrets though, right?

No regrets, I love my comedy movie and nothing you say can change my mind :D:D:D

I am a big scaredy cat

th?id=OIP.-n0QJ8jtHDrgAkmhJMD5wAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    I don't watch comedy, see enough in FG, so not seen any of these.
    I thought you were in Fine Gael when I read this first :D

About to watch the last film... that'll be 49 films in 12 days... and I think I might be starting to go a little bit crazy...

Let's hope I saved the best for last and can finish on a high point!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You're doing all four rounds at once? :eek: Madman

ShaneU wrote: »
    You're doing all four rounds at once? :eek: Madman

giphy.gif

First two round reveal on Friday from 7pm, and the rest on Saturday from 5pm-ish...

A winner will be crowned on Saturday no matter what.

LeVar do you like spoof comedies?

LeVar do you like spoof comedies?

Such as? You mean like Parodies? Depends on the film itself I suppose... I dunno.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Some factual films I would've opted for myself for you all today...
    The Documentaries

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007) ; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) ; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

The Parking Lot Movie (2010) ; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1504300/

Such as? You mean like Parodies? Depends on the film itself I suppose... I dunno.

giphy.gif

Mel Brooks etc.,?

Mel Brooks etc.,?

I can't say at this time... wouldn't want to spoiler anything about that which may have been submitted... aka. there is a Mel Brooks film in the mix, so no comment ;)

Looking at the quality and selection of the films that I know which are on here already, I'm optimistic that there'll be some great recommendations in this.

Which is just as well because there have been NO films made this year and I have a feeling films in future will be adjusted to reflect covid (haha jk, nothing could happen in those films).

See ye all later!

Might kick off slightly earlier than 7pm this evening, sometime between 6.30 and 7 would be more accurate.

Here's three films I might've gone for for Killer Soundtrack (opted for three here in which the trailers also heavily feature the music)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i don't think i want to attend the reveal for this....

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    i don't think i want to attend the reveal for this....

You say that with quite a few Walrus' and then you always show up anyway...

giphy.gif

You say that with quite a few Walrus' and then you always show up anyway...

giphy.gif

Don't make fun of my addiction you!

Don't make fun of my addiction you!

This is a safe space tusk. I suffer from the same addiction.

Safe...

Until I read your reviews of my entries :pac:

Safe...

Until I read your reviews of my entries :pac:

:D

• Advertisement

I thought I was the only fan of Tom Cruise's Rock of Ages

I actually wasn't arsed tidying up or editing my reviews, so you'll be getting the full unedited, unfiltered, raw reaction review, written directly after watching each film, undoubtedly full of spelling and grammatical errors, and most likely contradicting things I said in other reviews in the exact same round, but f**k it, it's more fun that way.

giphy.gif

Coming up in about an hour.

GO!

Preparing for a trailer extravaganza the likes of which I've never experienced before.

Right feck this, I'm ready to go, you all ready to go?

Starting of with The Horror reveal...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In 7th place with 7 points is
    s1ippy

Midsommar (2019)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772262/

Have I Seen it Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 69%

I really enjoy this f*cked up Wicker Man type sh*t, and loved the concept for this. I had been meaning to watch this for awhile but the two and a half hour run-time always put me off a bit, so was glad I had a reason to sit down and actually sit through it. It was definitely creepy, and has disturbing moments, which was good, but would've liked if they'd gone even further with it, delved a bit deeper into the community itself, shifting to their perspective a bit more, instead of constantly seeing everything through the eyes of the outsiders. Thought the cast were great, and there was some great imagery and stand out scenes, but overall it felt a bit too long for what it was, and it did get to a point where I was checking how much longer was left. Enjoyed it, but unfortunately I have to find reasons to rank films higher or lower than others here, and the bloated length dragged this one down for me just a little.

In 8th place with 6 points is
    the purple tin

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

Have I Seen it Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 66%

I had seen this a couple of times before and I've always enjoyed it, but I feel a lot of the great Horror Comedies that have come out since (Cabin In The Woods, Housebound, The Final Girls, The Babysitter, Happy Death Day, etc) have leant much more into the Horror side of things, while Tucker & Dale kept much more to the comedy side of things, and this time around it didn't just have the same appeal for me as it once did, in comparison to others in that sub-genre. I still really like it, just feel it could've gone much much darker without losing the humour, and as I've mentioned already, I need to be slightly nitpicky in order to separate the pack a bit. As a subversion of the Hillbilly horror though, it's really clever, and the various deaths are a lot of fun. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine are excellent as Tucker and Dale, and I don't think I'm simply being biased just because I've long been a fan of both actors, they really nail the roles perfectly. Katrina Bowden does a grand job too, and even though he chews the scenery a bit too much, I do enjoy Jesse Moss as the villain of the piece. The remainder of the cast however do drag down my enjoyment a bit though, some of their line delivery is woeful, at best their performances are hammy, and at worst they're just really bad. Taking all that into consideration it'd be hard to justify ranking this above any of the films above it, but still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking forward to this category. Need something to make my desensitized soul feel fear again.

In 6th place with 8 points is
    Irish Aris

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162661/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 74%

I was convinced I had seen this one before many years ago, but a few minutes in I realised I had been getting it mixed up with From Hell. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I had initially thought I would ; think I had it in my head that it would be a lot tamer than it actually is. Its still quite tame compared to the majority of the other films in this category, and it never came close to scaring me, but a solid outing all the same. Gothic horror done right is great and the trifecta of Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, and Johnny Depp, make a really good job with it. Elfman's score is absolutely superb as always, and I've always been a fan of Tim Burton's aesthetic, which I feel is at its best here. The overall package didn't necessarily wow me or blow me away, but I've nothing negative to say about it either, and liked it a lot, so really good choice.

In 9th place with 5 points is
    Kolido

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/

LeVar's Approval Rating: 52%

I was really really liking this at the start, it had so much potential to be a great film about the horrors humans can commit on other humans, and I was fully invested in that narrative, but then it went full on supernatural and I was extremely disappointed in the direction the film took. My attention started waning around that point, and the film went from being potentially one of the best entries in the round to falling back towards the back of the pack. Towards the end my interest was piqued again slightly, but I felt they should've done a bit more with it. It was a case of trying to do many things, throwing in too many horror tropes, and nothing really landing… for me anyway. I don't think it's a bad film, it's very watchable, I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it, it just lost me by appearing to be one kind of movie and then going in a completely different direction - like having the rug pulled out from under me right as I'm hitting my stride in a dance off. It was nice to see Emile Hirsch again though, glad to see he's still working ; he seemed to be in a lot of things in the '00s and then just disappeared completely (although apparently that's just from my perspective, because according to his IMDB he's been working steadily all along, and wasn't in as many films in the '00s as I thought he was).

• Advertisement
Advertisement