Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

In the last couple of months I've finished,

Inside Man by Philip Bray: Irish prison officer biography.

Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada: A terrifying totalitarian nightmare.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy: Americans Indians and Mexicans perpetrating acts of unspeakable cruelty on each other. The wildest of wild wests.

Currently reading Murakami's The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, quite odd but very enjoyable so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just Started The Missing by Tim Gautreaux.

Set in Louisiana after the first world war, about a man who tries to find a child who has been kidnapped.

Lots of Jazz and riverboats to come apparently.

Pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting 'You've Been Warned' by James Patterson. Short chapters and snappy writing ... will have it read in a day or two I reckon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hitler - Ian Kershaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dorcha

All library books here:

“The Witches of Karres” by James H Schmitz (b. 1911; d.1981): Science Fiction story of the invasion of our universe by the powerful ruler of a planet from another universe. The planet is revealed to be a vast space ship and the ruler a computer on board it, who has subjugated its original crew. Clear fresh prose with likable characters; a delight to read.

“Hidden Cork: Charmers, characters and Cute Hoors” by Michael Lenihan: A collection of descriptions of characters and events in Cork City and county from about the seventeenth century to the twentieth. From the “Battle of the Starlings” in 1621 and the murder of Art O’Leary for a horse and the subsequent “Lament” in Irish by his wife in 1773, to more modern people and happenings, this is a great book for a Cork person to dip into and make notes for more in-dept investigation.

“The Irish Uprising: How Keane and the Mighty Quinn saved Sunderland” by Andy Dawson: The title tells it all, really, and I wouldn’t have read it if I had known how little extra I’d learn. No vast insights here; merely - for the most part - a match-by-match description of Keane’s first season in charge and that of Peter Reed in the seasons before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Part 3(Night Angel Trilogy) by Brett Weeks.
    Just started this one last night,already 100 pages down.I am enjoying it big time and if its as good as the previous 2 books i'll be happy.For a first attempt I am really impressed by Mr Weeks,an impressive array of interesting characters with a great storyline.
    Night Angel Trilogy...........Overall this was a gritty, solid story. It was entertaining, it was a page turner and it was filled with some really clever ideas and some extremely talented worldbuilding. I’ll be looking forward to anything else Brent Weeks produces in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Fascinating read and truly terrifying at the same time. Out future 'Utopia' as Huxley sees it. Great book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

"The Serial Rapist Behind You is a Robot" - chapbook by JA Bradley. It's pretty good. If anyone's interested in reading my book reviews, they're on http://jmaybury.blogspot.com.

I really want to read The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ! Or whatever it's called. That and Skippy Dies. Thanks for the comments on those 2, guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Its fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Nearly halfway through 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime', thumps up so far, even though I can kind of guess where some of the story is going
    I don't think his mother is really dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Incredible Shrinking Man,

The story of a bloke who lost 17 stone [yes, no typo there!] and started running marathons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I have been reading a book of Oscar Wilde's poetry which I am loving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just finished Room. I really, really enjoyed it and can't recommend it enough.

And now onto the fifth book in Asimov's Foundation series. I thought I was nearing the end but I've just been informed that there's loads more, so I'm kind of disheartened by that. I was really looking forward to a resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Just finished Book 3 of Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series, The Waste Lands. Have to say loved it cant wait to pick up number 4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm just about to start book 3 of steven eriksons malazan book of the fallen. Struggled a little bit in the middle of Deadhouse Gates but i'm glad i finished it. Great book in the end. Loving the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

David Copperfield. The version I have is over 1000 pages so I'm not sure just how long it is going to take me, but am enjoying it so far!

Just starting Worst Case by James Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Reading 'A Sort of Homecoming' by Robert Cremins at the moment. Hard to get into but the underlying message is keeping me interested. Anyone else read it? Just found it in my pile of books and don't know where it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Time's Arrow by Martin Amis. I like it so far... it's quite humorous, although I'm wondering how exactly that will work out when the srrious subject matter comes up. I like that it's in reverse, it's very different from anything i've read before, in that regard. Sometimes confuses me a bit, but getting used to it.

I'm also nearing the end if Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, which was interrupted due to loads of college books. It's very funny and yet really sad at the same time. I like if a lot

Very excited because I have just started "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest". I loved the first two books so hoping this one is good.

• Advertisement

Patrick McCabe's 'The Holy City'

I'm starting The Sound and the Fury William Faulkner tonight.

About half way into 'The News Where You Are' by Catherine O'Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Where Men Win Glory - by John Krakauer

Brilliant and very readable indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Making my way thru "1984". Rather enjoyable, although I have read it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Rereading Billy Phelan's greatest game by William Kennedy.

Part of the famous Albany trilogy about the Irish-American community in up-state New York in the first half of the twentieth century.

Kennedy is a fabulous storyteller. Gives more insight into the Irish-American experience than any history book .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daviidwilson

I've just started reading My Sister's Keeper. I was given this book by a friend about a year ago but I'm only getting around to it now. :o I want to read it before seeing the film.
    Finished the last three twilight books, All in all I found them a brilliant read. Un put downable.
    Reading The Kings Bucannear by Raymond E Feist now. A continuation in his line of books after the magican trilogy. Very good read so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

The new book by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson in The Wheel of Time series is out tomorrow, The Towers of Midnight so will be reading that for the next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Read One by David Nichollis and When you are engulfed in flames by David Sedaris lately. They were both recommended by a friend. I F'n love when someone recommends something and it turns out to be top notch. One day is beyond super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I finished reading "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things" by J.T Leroy (or should i say laura albert??) last week... It was ... Hmmm i'm not really sure what i thought if it. There were a few very disturbing parts, and I'm not someone who is easily disturbed!

Also read "Time's Arrow" by Martin Amis. I'm not too sure just how appropriate the reverse narrative is for the subject matter, I mean parts of the book were very humorous because of how it's written, but I'm just not sure just how well the scenes from Auschwitz fitted together with all this.

I'm now reading "Don't Tell Me The Truth About Love" by Dan Rhodes, a collection of some pretty depressing love stories. It's an easy, nice (if thats the word to describe depressing stories) read.

Also just started "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Chasm City, quite different so far than the first revelation space book. Not as big in scope, but you can relate to the characters more.

Just started The Bolter by Frances Osborne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
    Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I'm reading Five Chimneys by Olga Lengyel. It's an account of her time in the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Harrowing, but an excellent read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Pereira Maintains by Antonio Tabucchi

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Dibble wrote: »
    I'm reading Five Chimneys by Olga Lengyel. It's an account of her time in the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Harrowing, but an excellent read.
    Will take note of this book :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Finished the last three twilight books, All in all I found them a brilliant read. Un put downable.
    Reading The Kings Bucannear by Raymond E Feist now. A continuation in his line of books after the magican trilogy. Very good read so far.

[/url]

I love Raymond E. Feist, a great writer. Just finished his 2009 offering, can't remember the name of it, a very good read. I don't tend to remember the names of books, so no insult there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mav79 wrote: »
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
    Really enjoying it so far.

Just finished reading one of his trilogy's, an excellent read.

I have started reading Jack Kerouac's On The Road again. It is so readable, it trips of the page to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I've just finished 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck. Wasn't really impressed until the end. I was bringing it back to the library and I saw 'The Grapes of Wrath' so I picked that up to see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just started The Bolter by Frances Osborne

I read it a few weeks ago, it really gives a fascinating insight into that era. Today's socialites have nothing on them in terms of scandal!

I'm on a thriller binge at the moment, read most of the Henning Mankell's at this stage (The Fifth Woman is my favourite so far) and on my third Jo Nesbo. Very, very, very dark and gruesome. I thought The Redeemer was better than The Snowman but I read them out of order so I might go back to the start if I can get hold of all of the books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've just started 'Life of Pi.' Ugh, it's pretty gory so far! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Posy wrote: »

Can't remember it starting gory? Gives a great argument for zoos at the beginning :pac:
    I would have to advise to read an analysis afterwards, lots of things go over my head and I knew that a huge amount had with this book, so I googled an analysis and it showed me just how much there is to the book and opened up a lot of levels that I didn't contemplate (which wasn't a lot of the literary bs of finding something that just wasn't there)

Just beginning The Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo now :)

Posy wrote: »

I read that ages ago I saw it the other day and was going to pick it up as far as I can remember I enjoyed it.
    Just beginning The Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo now :)

I loved this book I finished the 3rd one a couple of weeks ago, I hope you like them as much as I did.

I have gotten back into reading poetry I bought a little book of poetry by W.B. Yeats going to read through it tonight :D

Just starting 'Forgetting Zoe' by Ray Robinson

Getting madly back into reading I have started The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit so far so good :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Enjoying 'Life of Pi' a lot more now that it's just
    him and Richard Parker left on the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Have just read the girl with the dragon tattoo and the girl who played with fire.. absolutely loved them both.. Going the start the final one soon. Have also read the first four of the Dexter books and have read the first five of the anita blake vampire hunter books. Have enjoyed all of them! Love a good series of books!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. I hated it with a passion and I hold it responsible for many a bus journey spent embarrasingly asleep :( I'm starting Lord of the Flies. So far it's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnwhite072

Reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Excellent so far, the last great American novelist (apparently!)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Read 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy', Douglas Adams, recently and really enjoyed it!

Getting into 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', Oscar Wilde, and enjoying it so far!

Finished 'Forgetting Zoe' by Ray Robinson
    A superb read which kept me awake to 3am last night - always the sign of a good book.
    I'm going to start 'The Finkler Question' tonight ... looking forward to deciding if it deserved the Booker

• Advertisement
Advertisement