Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

redlead wrote: »
    I've been admiring these lately. You can only buy them in store but was wondering how obtainable they are. Is it basically like asking for a no date sub or can you actually get one if you wait a few months ?

I believe that they're reasonably attainable, as in it's several months rather than several years of a waitlist as far as I've heard. Can only go on the waitlist in-store and then once you get the call you need to pick up in-store within a week.

Or pay 4.5k via C24 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cienciano wrote: »
    Not everything has to be automatic.

You have gone too far this time.....that you would say such a thing....Wibbs come on surely a siteban for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CarProblem wrote: »
    I honestly didn't care. I have a painting in my hall. I love it, my neighbour loved it when she saw it, my sister and best friend both hate it. I don't care - I like it and it's my house :D
    I'm wired the same. That kinda thing never bothered me. Even in my teens when you're supposed to give more of a damn about what others feel as you work out your own adult track and personality it very rarely bothered me. *shrugs* Either my ego is so zen and self actualised or I'm quite mad, or both, far more likely the latter. :P :pac:

That said and I hate to break it to you CP, we're not normal. :eek::D No really. Humans are social animals and because of that we need to fit in, to go along with the social culture and contract and jousting for position and yeah to generally go along with the artifice of "luxury" as the society sees it at the time. And that artifice can be extremely abstract. That's a huge part of what makes us human, that ability to abstract value, from personal talismans, through imagery, through religion, through even the very basic notion of handing over pieces of paper for goods or work. Totally daft if you think about it all. But if weren't so daft we'd still be running around in the nip avoiding large hairy things with teeth. :D

A large majority go along with that or we wouldn't have at one end daubs of oil on canvas that cost as much as a hospital wing, at the other runners and hoop earrings that must only come from a certain brand, in the middle ten grand handbags, Hermes Apple watches, Rolex and in an odd way especially fake Handbags, Hermes and Rolex. The hate for them is obvious on the part of the manufacturers, but a huge part of the hate against fakes by manufacturers and among their customers is that they short circuit the luxury abstraction thing. Doubly so as they get more and more hard to distinguish from the real. The "ah you're only kidding yourself" argument is a small part of it. We kid ourselves all the time. We "fake" ourselves all the time too, makeup, clothes, the trappings of the sub cultures of society we feel, or want to belong to. I personally dislike fakes because they butt up against my notions of fairness and honesty.

(I swear, no Moroccan woodbines were involved in the typing of the above. :D)

So that's why I say "buy what you like", so long as you don't overpay and/or buy something as a substitute for something else you really want. As for homages? So long as it fits into the previous sentence I say play ball. If watches are man jewellery then look at homages as costume jewellery. You like the look, but don't care about the name, or simply thinking spending twenty times that on the name to be daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    You have gone too far this time.....that you would say such a thing....Wibbs come on surely a siteban for this.
    He didn't say no handwinders so... Overruled. Plus it is me, so quartz... :D
    I reckon if someone wanted to buy a swatch and the thread went long enough we'd have people telling them to buy a rolex!
    ...and as it happens because of the cheap placcy quartz Swatches chances are fairly high that mechanical watches including Rolex would be an extremely niche pursuit and pursuit of. Even then it's still a niche pursuit. Apple come out with a watch and have sales figures Swiss brands could only dream of and profit margins to match and can even muscle in on the "luxury" angle too. For a stripped down phone with appalling battery life. Humans. Mad, the lot of us. And a good thing too

Random aside, a while back a mate of mine reckoned Swatch was short for Swiss Watch. It was apparently actually short for Second Watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In fact, I think if some has to scrimp and save (to the deteriment to having holidays, meals out, other "nice" things) just so that at the end of 20 years they could get a Patek minute repeater they would find that at the end of the day...it's just a watch.

"Luxury" comes with a lifestyle and by definition it remains exclusive and costly - so I totally get what Fitz says when he makes the point that a sub-€1000 watch isn't really "luxury" since many young people spend that or double that for the latest iPhone. Or the other way around - just because you can afford a Sinn/Stowa/Sólás :pac: doesn't mean you can afford to live the "luxury" lifestyle. In some ways a Rolex is too "cheap" to be luxury too - aspirational luxury perhaps?

Luxury in my mind is flying first (if not private hire jets), renting yachts for a Carribean cruise, buying a Ferrari (and being able to afford to maintain it! :D ). Those people may be wearing Rolexes, or Stowas or Casio F91Ws but more often go for the "Holy Trinity" and the really high end brands costing $20k+.

In Chinese there is a phrase - can afford to buy, can't afford to maintain it - i.e. I could probably buy a castle estate, but could I pay the annual upkeep bills?

MsThirdfox makes a very good point to me about my minute repeater grail - even if I manage to get one for 20-30k (considering an original rrp of 120k) would I be able to fork out the 7k it costs to service it every 5-10 years? So perhaps with my current lifestyle I can't afford a "luxury" watch like a minute repeater...

Also makes the Chinese minute repeater all that more tempting - service cost for a minute repeater is around 300 euro...

I can afford a Maserati (they go for the same price as a Golf or less)...I can't afford to keep replacing the clutch, tires, electronics etc. :D

...so to go back to my earlier point - which may bemuse some people - I don't really consider a Rolex Sub in steel a luxury watch (heavily marketed as luxurious definitely) - but too many "normal" watch buying people can afford it. Just like Mont Blanc or Caran D'Ache 300-400 euro pens aren't "luxury" but luxurious - because I guess the millionaires and billionaires have the ability to go and buy 10k+ pens which I probably have never heard the names of.

A jewel encrusted solid gold/platinum Rolex would certainly be luxury though :D - as you would only find them on the wrists of the people who can also own Ferraris, take private jets etc. and live the "luxury" lifestyle. A steel Sub or Speedmaster or Stowa/Sinn etc. wouldn't be exclusive enough to be considered luxury in my eyes.

"Quality" on the other hand - is a completely different kettle of fish - nothing about quality requires it to be exclusive - but I think a definition of luxury is something that is sufficiently exclusive. A G-Shock, Sinn or Stowa are all quality pieces.

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I don't really consider a Rolex Sub in steel a luxury watch

100% Agree, Rolex is a aspirational brand. Its a middle class brand. Rugged watches for working men (and women). I know that its kinda morphed in modern times, but as I am sure Wibbs will attest to the roots. A Rolex is the watch that a "man done good" gets. One issue I have with Rolex at the moment is that prices have far outstripped the watches.
    I reckon if someone wanted to buy a swatch and the thread went long enough we'd have people telling them to buy a rolex!

Its the watches equivalent of the Godwins law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

This thread had been most informative.
    I now know that do not own any luxury watches.

Carry on.

Fitz II wrote: »
    100% Agree, Rolex is a aspirational brand. Its a middle class brand. Rugged watches for working men (and women). I know that its kinda morphed in modern times, but as I am sure Wibbs will attest to the roots. A Rolex is the watch that a "man done good" gets.
    Pretty much F. It was among a tier of "good watches" for the British market and for the average newly minted middle class man of the post war. They got a lift from James Bond in the 1960's after trying to get into the American market for donkey's, even presenting US presidents with them, and largely failing. Their incredible 70's marketing really gave them a boost in that market, but more as a tool watch that was even then aimed at luxury, again towards the suburban accountant class(previously they'd have gone for brands like Longines and Omega and their own US brands). Never mind that they did that in the middle of quartz, which was bloody incredible. They also learned from Bond and dropped them on the wrist of film stars, as Jack Heuer had done(Unlike Connery who had to borrow the directors watch on a placcy strap that kicked off interwebs madness :D) In the UK they kinda slipped and started to have the vibe of working class wide boy in a Crombie, two tone Datejust a given, a "president" for the boxing promoter, a Cartier for the dollybird. I suspect that at least some of that is why UK folks got more into the steel stuff over time. Two tone was a bit too Arthur Daley, Harry Loadsamoney enfield and definitely this guy.

:D

I have to admit I still have the hint of that prejudice myself, to some degree. Certainly around two tone. Not so much all gold, so it makes no sense. I see Patek as a "oulfella watch". Well gold three handers anyway. Then again we all have the odd quirky prejudices going on.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    This thread had been most informative.
    I now know that do not own any luxury watches.

Carry on.
    :D I'd own a couple that were "luxury" at one time and bloody expensive with it. These days they wouldn't be within an ass's roar of luxury. That's somewhat partially why I sometimes cast a quizzical eye over current trends and fashions. Like the chap in that Pride and Pinion website that claims that steel Rolex never lost value. He likely believes that but it's bollocks. All gold examples retained a lot of their value because of gold(diamonds a bonus) and started to be seen as portable cash to some degree*, but all steel? Nope. They were never cheap as chips, but secondhand were notably cheaper than new(as were gold to a lesser degree) and up until the mid 90's there was the sense you couldn't give Daytonas away. If I only knew then... :D

*Rolex playing another absolute blinder started to insist in the 70's that their retail prices would remain the same as much as possible worldwide. Other brands like Apple have copied them in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Definitely - for example if the Octo Finissimo was released by AP with the only change being the brand name on the dial instead of "fashion watch" Bulgari I think it would sell like hotcakes (definitely if comparing to their 11:59) or if Patek said the Finissimo was the replacement for the Nautilus then it will be the proverbial dog's gonads....

Instead the Finissimo is readily available and at discount too - good for those who don't necessarily care too much about brand name.

On the other hand if Invicta released the Finissimo for 6k, people (and I would fall into this category sadly) would still give it a pass because of the name on the dial - brand is important too - it would be silly to pretend otherwise.

^ the above would be with everything else about the watch being equal in terms of finishing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Season 3 Episode 11 'Knight of the Chameleon' Swatch Spring 1984 Sports worn by the character Tonie Baxter played by Kimberly Foster

;)https://i.imgur.com/Nc5RpKu.jpg

3HI2VHp.jpg

10238435946_deec981d25_h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have given the kids Swatches in the past. Worst battery longevity of any watch I have ever encountered. Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Mortal Sinn?

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/836.htm

43mm. :eek:

Does size matter?

A bit of a rant: DHL, you had just one simple job and you blew it, even though it's your entire Raison d'être.

The Irish side of DHL has taken longer to not move a package 30km than the efficient non Irish bits of DHL took to get it from the other side of the planet; Japan, to Hong Kong, to Leipzig to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

cnocbui wrote: »
    A bit of a rant: DHL, you had just one simple job and you blew it, even though it's your entire Raison d'être.

The Irish side of DHL has taken longer to not move a package 30km than the efficient non Irish bits of DHL took to get it from the other side of the planet; Japan, to Hong Kong, to Leipzig to Ireland.

Nothing worse than tracking a slow moving package. Especially makes it out for delivery on a friday and then at 4pm you check and it's returned to the depot.

Nothing worse than tracking a slow moving package. Especially makes it out for delivery on a friday and then at 4pm you check and it's returned to the depot.

It's been out for delivery on two days, and I have been making sure I'm around for the entirety of the time, all for nothing. Tomorrow will be the third day. Their website has a link inviting direct contact with the big cheese. Think I'll take them up on it tomorrow morning. They were asking for the tax and handling fee to be paid within minutes of it entering the country and have since decided delivering it is optional and teasing and wasting the time of the recipient is great sport.

I imagine the coup de grace will be a repeat of the last two days, except that at 6pm on a Friday, they will update the tracking to say it's been delivered, when it hasn't, leaving me a whole weekend to wonder who's out there thinking it's Christmas again, admiring their new expensive gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They lost my IWC for 7 weeks in Leipzig!
    I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

5900 for a 1975 speedmaster on adverts? Is it ambitious or worth it due to age?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

5900 for a 1975 speedmaster on adverts? Is it ambitious or worth it due to age?

If it was a 1968 or 1969 then I would pay it...but not for a 1975 one TBH!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's been out for delivery on two days, and I have been making sure I'm around for the entirety of the time, all for nothing. Tomorrow will be the third day. Their website has a link inviting direct contact with the big cheese. Think I'll take them up on it tomorrow morning. They were asking for the tax and handling fee to be paid within minutes of it entering the country and have since decided delivering it is optional and teasing and wasting the time of the recipient is great sport.

I imagine the coup de grace will be a repeat of the last two days, except that at 6pm on a Friday, they will update the tracking to say it's been delivered, when it hasn't, leaving me a whole weekend to wonder who's out there thinking it's Christmas again, admiring their new expensive gift.

I was going to say it's stuck in customs. I suppose living out in the sticks has one advantage, if they drop a package on the porch during the day it has a good chance of still being there in the evening. Hope it turns up for you soon.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I was going to say it's stuck in customs. I suppose living out in the sticks has one advantage, if they drop a package on the porch during the day it has a good chance of still being there in the evening. Hope it turns up for you soon.

Finally got it this morning. They asked for the duty and handling fee to be paid almost as the plane's wheels touched down, which I paid within 10 min of the alert, so it wasn't that. The address was missing a couple vital parts so I will be on to the shipper about that, but when DHL have both my phone number and email address and can be asking for the duty to be paid via both, they have no excuses for not using those to query me about the address. At the end of day one, I sent them a query and included my Eircode, so they had that for all of day 2 and acknowledged they had updated the delivery info with the code.

When the guy got to the door, he messed about for a bit with his gadgets, saying hang on a minute, it's not entered on the system, I have to add it!

But I have it so all's well and I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

My gold sub from wrist check monthly was sent yesterday, I'll have to stay off facebook until it arrives so the surprise isn't ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Enjoying the evening watching another episode of Knight Rider :) Season 3, Episode 16 'Knightliners' Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust worn by the character Soltis played by Frank Annese

234o1jy.jpg

XkL4iyp.jpg

You know, when I think of Rolex, my head says; "Rolex Milsub, all original, fixed bars, Omega handset, circle T, alloy bezel, pseud ref. no. 6540(crossed out, cos I am that anal), wrestled in a pub brawl in 1986 from a diver lad from Essex who wasn't really pushed, but was wondering why his order for a G shock was taking so long. Accept no substitutes dammit!!". :D Or a first series 31mm Rolex Oyster handwound, in steel, more than slightly bollexed, "California" redial a given, described as "unisex" because it's just so small. And apparently sexist.

But my heart always says "Oyster Perpetual Datejust". That is the Rolex for me. Solid, at work or play, fits denim or bespoke, business meeting or beach, a steel base with the smattering overlay of gold and a nod back tradition to the grooved bezel to tighten down the original Oyster. It is at its heart a picture in metal of a man who did OK enough and knows where he came from and where he is now and what he had to do to get there and wears that on his sleeve without shouting about it. And fair play. They have that narrative nailed like no other brand and that is something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Wibbs wrote: »
    You know, when I think of Rolex, my head says; "Rolex Milsub, all original, fixed bars, Omega handset, circle T, alloy bezel, pseud ref. no. 6540(crossed out, cos I am that anal), wrestled in a pub brawl in 1986 from a diver lad from Essex who wasn't really pushed, but was wondering why his order for a G shock was taking so long. Accept no substitutes dammit!!".

Thats so specific there has to be a story there... have you owned one of those? Be worth a pretty penny now if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but didn’t see the need to open a separate thread to ask.

Anyone know what the waiting time for a Tudor BB58’s typically run at? Have a significant birthday coming up and decided last year I’d treat myself to one, unfortunately with Covid I wasn’t able to get around to ordering one. Looked at second hand and there’s not enough of a saving for me to miss my chance to get in with a local watch dealer, have my eye on a SS Sub at some stage in the future and hoping a purchase might help me get somewhere on the list.

Time wrote: »
    Thats so specific there has to be a story there... have you owned one of those? Be worth a pretty penny now if so!
    I wish. On the financial side anyway. I was offered one in the early 90's. Well when I say offered it was for sale and the guy showed it to me. Sorry went a bit Hoodwinkee there. :D It was either two grand and I only had one at my disposal, or four and I only had two. I do remember thinking at the time that it was crazy money, especially for such a "basic" watch and it was fairly worn. For that money I expected a rattrapante chronograph, with perpetual calendar, alarm, chimes, moonphase, tidal display and a teamaker driven by my heartbeat. In platinum. He did have a Longines Hour Angle and I was so tempted there, but I would have walked out potless and I remember it being very large. But yeah, a time machine and ten grand back then would make you a millionaire today.

have my eye on a SS Sub at some stage in the future and hoping a purchase might help me get somewhere on the list.
    From what I'm gathering on various forums etc and no doubt better counsel will be along in due course, but the "list" appears to be BS. AD's have valued customers who are repeat customers going back years who they know will spend large on watches and jewellery. They're on a "list" and will get first dibs, as will famous people and known high rollers, but the average Joe walking in and buying one watch in the hope of a more expensive one down the line isn't, but they're happy to sell that watch in the hope he'll believe he is and spend more to stay on it and of course they sell that watch.

Forget the AD asslicking, unless you drop serious coin on precious metal watches you wont make a blip on their radar. If you want a sub go buy a sub from a gray market dealer. Its only a few thousand more, and you will save twice the extra cost in depreciation on watches you dont really want.

If you like selling a watch too, the relationship with a grey dealer is just as important, they give you grey market prices for the watch if you are known to buy off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

hoping a purchase might help me get somewhere on the list.

This, more than anything else, is what puts me off Rolex.
    There is nothing more off-putting to me than a service or product provider that does not value my custom. Treat 'em mean, keep' em keen. Whether it's queueing overnight for an iPhone, or outside Brown Thomas for some 6 hunnerdoller sneakers, or outside a pub for a Jaysus drink....

Go. Somewhere. Else.

Fawning obsequious prostrating yourself before some watchsalesman, buying other watches you barely like or want in the hope that you might be given permission to buy a product of theirs that you do want, at some indeterminate date in the future??? OMG even typing about it makes me want to eat my own teeth. But however Rolex manoeuvred themselves into such a bizarre market position is nothing short of absolute genius. Wtf it's about? I'll never understand.

Advertisement