Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Just looking at player points in paddypower for this game and trying find out who would take frees from the left of pitch. Know mc curry will kick anything from right hand side but didn't see sligo game last week to see who took frees from left and the central ones. Looking back through qualifiers it looks like tyrone have mixed it up a lot with freetakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mjp wrote: »
    Just looking at player points in paddypower for this game and trying find out who would take frees from the left of pitch. Know mc curry will kick anything from right hand side but didn't see sligo game last week to see who took frees from left and the central ones. Looking back through qualifiers it looks like tyrone have mixed it up a lot with freetakers

McAlliskey took and missed about 3 or 4 frees from the left last week. Some of them were pretty easy. I doubt he'll be taking them again this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I know Sean kicks with the right but I wouldn't be surprised for him or McCurry to take anything close from that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Jayop wrote: »
    I know Sean kicks with the right but I wouldn't be surprised for him or McCurry to take anything close from that side.

Cheers for that. Have they given up on Morgan for 45s and frees from distance as mc curry kicked 45 the last day. He can be bit hot/cold with his kicks and remember him missing 3 or 4 against tipp the last day

mjp wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Have they given up on Morgan for 45s and frees from distance as mc curry kicked 45 the last day. He can be bit hot/cold with his kicks and remember him missing 3 or 4 against tipp the last day

Hope so. He's been **** on them for such an accurate kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Poor weather all week and now a nice, bright day, perfect for football. Surely God is a Tyrone man.

Predicting a tight, niggly game (no doubt if there are any flare ups it'll be all our fault), but I can see us winning by a point or two. Need to keep McManus under wraps though, he'd love to bury us.

Going for McCurry for the first goal, 11/1. He's been stepping up to the plate more and more recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭threeball

You'd have to laugh at Sky and Damien Lawlor interviewing Mickey Harte. Well Mickey that was a fascinating tactical battle and great game of football to watch!! What planet are these guys on.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

threeball wrote: »
    You'd have to laugh at Sky and Damien Lawlor interviewing Mickey Harte. Well Mickey that was a fascinating tactical battle and great game of football to watch!! What planet are these guys on.

It wasn't a bad match til the last 10 minutes really. Average I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I thought it was a good game personally. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

If you didnt enjoy that game or at least find it interesting then I'd suggest finding another sport.

The standard of games this year has been appalling unless you take a sadistic enjoyment from the 30 point hammerings.

• Advertisement

Great win today. Thought it was going to be close but we never really looked like losing. The usual arrows being fired in our direction, but that's to be expected when we're successful. Looking forward to getting stuck into Kerry next day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

Would love to see Tyrone beat Kerry. Winning it out is too big an ask I'd imagine, but wow would love to see the bitter fcuks from Mayo Dublin etc crying once again. You can tell they fear Tyrone now they're moaning and calling them every name under the sun.

Kerry are the best team left but Tyrone vs Kerry is always hard to pick a winner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    Any time anything happens in a game all the bitters come out with the same crap.

Just ignore that muck. Tyrone had Monaghans number from the start. Monaghan had no clue how to break through. Dick Clerkin came on and did his best offensively and improved things, showing how poor the rest were. The Monaghan halfback line offered little penetration on the break and McManus was isolated.

I've nothing to offer on the diving etc as I was up high and it was difficult to see, but Monaghan were comprehensivly beaten today, Kerry will be more concerned than they were yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

1800 wrote: »
    If you didnt enjoy that game or at least find it interesting then I'd suggest finding another sport.

The standard of games this year has been appalling unless you take a sadistic enjoyment from the 30 point hammerings.

How can you say that game was enjoyable. I felt embarrassed as a Monaghan man watching the antics that unfolded. Seeing grown men fall over and feign injury to get another sent off was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

1800 wrote: »
    Would love to see Tyrone beat Kerry. Winning it out is too big an ask I'd imagine, but wow would love to see the bitter fcuks from Mayo Dublin etc crying once again. You can tell they fear Tyrone now they're moaning and calling them every name under the sun.

Kerry are the best team left but Tyrone vs Kerry is always hard to pick a winner.

Remind me again who won the last championship meeting between Dublin and Tyrone? Why should we be bitter about anything? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Haters going to hate hate hate. Well done Tyrone. On this form I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry come up short against you. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

edgecutter wrote: »
    How can you say that game was enjoyable. I felt embarrassed as a Monaghan man watching the antics that unfolded. Seeing grown men fall over and feign injury to get another sent off was disgraceful.

Some fabulous scores in the match but i agree with ye it wasn't pretty most of the time. The gamesmanship is horrible to watch but as Mickey Harte said thats par for the course with Ulster games. Wouldn't single out Tyrone.

Thought Donnelly, McCurry and (despite his theatrics) McCann all had good games. Donnelly worked like a dog up and down pitch but still popped up late with two good scores. My MOTM.

Despite everyone raving about them i think Kerry can be got at. Probably favs alright but if Tyrone can replicate the desire and workrate it'll be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

corny wrote: »
    Some fabulous scores in the match but i agree with ye it wasn't pretty most of the time. The gamesmanship is horrible to watch but as Mickey Harte said thats par for the course with Ulster games. Wouldn't single out Tyrone.

Thought Donnelly, McCurry and (despite his theatrics) McCann all had good games. Donnelly worked like a dog up and down pitch but still popped up late with two good scores. My MOTM.

Despite everyone raving about them i think Kerry can be got at. Probably favs alright but if Tyrone can replicate the desire and workrate it'll be close.

Despite McCanns theatrics??? So its only theatrics, doesn't really matter what he did? Thought it was appalling and he should be suspended tho presume that's not possible in gaa rules. And I hope Tyrone beat Kerry but without that crap.

With all that's gone on maybe we could reflect a wee bit more on the game in here in a calmer sense.

I thought McCurry was just awesome again. Of all the lads that have been coming though in the last few years I would never have said that he'd be the one to step up and become the new main man but he really has done it. I'd rather be without Sean than McCurry going into a big game now and that's saying something. A truly great footballer who's shouldering all the responsibility so well. He must be close to the top scorers in the Championship now.

Was panicking when Joe went off in the first half but didn't really miss him at all. It's a long time since we seen Justin as fired up as that and he was playing out of his skin. Work rate was top drawer as usual, some great running off the shoulder and none of them were wasteful in possession like we've seen in the earlier games.

All in all it was the best performance we've put in in a few years. Much better than when we beat Monaghan 2 years back. All year we've been improving a little bit each game, against Sligo we looked very strong but it was hard to tell where we stood. At least now we've comprehensively beat one of the bigger sides.

Donegal losing to Mayo so badly took a wee bit of the shine of it for me. I was hoping that because we were so close to Donegal at the start of Ulster we might be closer to the big three, but Mayo dismantled them with such ease it was frightening. That's the level you have to be at to beat a Kerry or Dublin too and I don't know if we can get there.

Kerry next and I said at the start of this thread that I thought we'd win every game till we met one of Kerry, Dublin or Mayo and that might leave us at a semi but that's where it would end. That's still the case but I'm more hopeful than I was.

I've lined up a ticket for the final in the off chance we get there. Fingers crossed big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

i thought i was sickening to see such blatent anti tyrone bias on the sunday game last night. especially from colm o rourke when his own meath teams were some of the dirtiest u could find. total hypocrite. anyway its time for tyrone fans to really stand behind this team and go to the semi in huge numbers. out county is taking a battering by the southern media/rte. we need to stick it to them big time.

• Advertisement

i thought i was sickening to see such blatent anti tyrone bias on the sunday game last night. especially from colm o rourke when his own meath teams were some of the dirtiest u could find. total hypocrite. anyway its time for tyrone fans to really stand behind this team and go to the semi in huge numbers. out county is taking a battering by the southern media/rte. we need to stick it to them big time.

I caught the very start of McGuigan on Newstalk earlier talking about this. I need to listen to the podcast of it now to see what he had to say.

RTE are poison. They hate Tyrone and have done for 15 years now. The fact people from outside the county don't see that is disappointing but not surprising. Tyrone have a complete black out on doing interviews with RTE and now that we're doin them with Sky it's probably made things even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

i genuinely believe its a free state thing. darragh o se on sky was a disgrace too. he just couldnt hide his bias and him supposed to be commentating objectively. its really lit the touch paper with tyrone folk and should unite the county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

i genuinely believe its a free state thing. darragh o se on sky was a disgrace too. he just couldnt hide his bias and him supposed to be commentating objectively. its really lit the touch paper with tyrone folk and should unite the county.
    Less of that "Free State" rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If it wasn't for Brolly you'd have never gotten any credit for anything on RTÉ.

The simple fact is that Mickey Harte and Tyrone revolutionised Gaelic Football and made it a better game as a result.

Let the Aussies keep that kick-and-catch shoite that Spillane seems to miss.

Simply saying "blanket defence" over and over doesn't mean you're analysing the game. To dilute that 2008 team (greatest imho) or the Donegal team of 2012 to "blanket defence" does a disservice to the game the tactical masterclasses that tehy were, the coaches and the teams.

The OTT reactions to McCann were something else even all over this forum and the amnesia about JOD and his ilk mystify me.
    I caught the very start of McGuigan on Newstalk earlier talking about this. I need to listen to the podcast of it now to see what he had to say.

RTE are poison. They hate Tyrone and have done for 15 years now. The fact people from outside the county don't see that is disappointing but not surprising. Tyrone have a complete black out on doing interviews with RTE and now that we're doin them with Sky it's probably made things even worse.

The blackouts hardly help but internalising that anger usually works for ye.

Now now.

Listen, listening to any Kerryman about football is nigh on impossible. Can't do it.

---

When all is said and done I hope ye hop of that Kingdom shower and send them back with their tails between their legs.

And if the dream final of Dublin v Tyrone happens I'll be made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've lined up a ticket for the final in the off chance we get there. Fingers crossed big time.

I'll take that off you when you're selling it...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

McGuigan had it put to him that when Tyrone played Donegal we had a load of nastiness, when Tyrone played Monaghan we had a load of nastiness yet when Donegal played Monaghan we had distinctly less (not to say none).

McGuigan basically said "look, obviously there's a connection" and went on to say that the pressure on the current team to emulate the previous generation has led to a win at any costs mentally, from which you get sledging, diving, and general ****-acting.

He rightly pointed out that many teams are at much of the same stuff, but seemed happy (well, a bit pained) to admit that indeed Tyrone are the authors of a lot of their own problems.

Anthony Moyles went on to make the (I thought) valid point that we need to stop pretending this isn't going on, acknowledge that Tyrone are a team willing to do more blatant, visibly unsavoury stuff in pursuit of a win than other teams seem to be willing to (so far at least), and accept and get on with it. The price, he reckoned, for that is that they will come in for criticism, and how bad.

I think that's all fair enough. Every team does nefarious stuff, Tyrone seem to get caught doing more blatant stuff and seem to push it to the breaking point with the most regularity so get the most criticism. It's not great, but if it's the difference between being beaten and winning you can make up your own mind as to what you'd do in a similar situation.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'll take that off you when you're selling it...

:pac:

The cousin hopefully is getting them for us so it'll be his to sell or whatever if it doesn't work out.
    McGuigan had it put to him that when Tyrone played Donegal we had a load of nastiness, when Tyrone played Monaghan we had a load of nastiness yet when Donegal played Monaghan we had distinctly less (not to say none).

McGuigan basically said "look, obviously there's a connection" and went on to say that the pressure on the current team to emulate the previous generation has led to a win at any costs mentally, from which you get sledging, diving, and general ****-acting.

He rightly pointed out that many teams are at much of the same stuff, but seemed happy (well, a bit pained) to admit that indeed Tyrone are the authors of a lot of their own problems.

Anthony Moyles went on to make the (I thought) valid point that we need to stop pretending this isn't going on, acknowledge that Tyrone are a team willing to do more blatant, visibly unsavoury stuff in pursuit of a win than other teams seem to be willing to (so far at least), and accept and get on with it. The price, he reckoned, for that is that they will come in for criticism, and how bad.

I think that's all fair enough. Every team does nefarious stuff, Tyrone seem to get caught doing more blatant stuff and seem to push it to the breaking point with the most regularity so get the most criticism. It's not great, but if it's the difference between being beaten and winning you can make up your own mind as to what you'd do in a similar situation.

I thought what Moyles said was more interesting. If you're going to do the deed then just say yeah we did it and we stand over it.

One final thing I'll say that I certainly used to believe but I'm not so sure about anymore. The 00's tyrone team were tough, very tough and pretty dirty. This for me resulted in teams lining up to play Tyrone more fired up themselves than they would be for any other game, kinda saying to themselves 'we're playing Tyrone today and we won't be bullied'. That in turn sort of snowballed into a situation were a lot of Tyrone games were even worse than they would other wise have been.

Dublin in the league in Omagh was a perfect example. They came up and said the first chance we get we're going to hammer Tyrone and it was a one in - all in situation.

Is that still the case, I don't know. Look at the games that there was dirty play involving Tyrone this year. Donegal and Monaghan. Both teams we've played multiple times in the championship the last few years. With both games I honestly don't feel Tyrone were any the worse offenders in general but the fact that both games involved Tyrone looks bad.

It's quite possible that we went out Vs Donegal, a team that have bullied us physically for the last 4/5 years and said enough was enough and the players decided to back down from nothing. With Monaghan I felt it was more that they were the ones who instigated most of the 'sledging' and physical stuff.

There was no nonsense in the other 4 games this year. Limerick, Meath, Sligo and Tipp all had games against Tyrone with nothing worth talking about apart from a tiny flare up in the Tipp game before half time that was nothing more than handbags.

Why is it that these things happen in the games Vs teams that have played against each other a lot in the last few years?

The line at the end of Harte's response sticks out:

The reason it sticks out is because I happen to be reading his book at the moment. He addresses sledging and guff-giving early on and puts it in similar terms. Basically saying if he had to choose between someone whispering in his ear all game and someone punching him in the back of the head he would choose the whispering.

And that seems fair enough, only that it seems to ignore a fairly obvious third option. Harte denies he ever sends his teams out to spew rubbish at opposition players, but it seems to have at least tacit approval from him on the basis that other things they could be doing are worse.

358212.png

TBH, this matches what Harte more or less always says on these sorts of things. I believe this is genuinely his opinion - diving, sledging etc don't hurt anyone and he's too bothered.

You could easily agree with his position that Paul Finlay's rabbit punch is way worse than diving or slabbering so why all the fuss about these incidents and not the rabbit punches?

The reality, I think, is that GAA people in general are way, way more aggravated by actions like this than Mickey Harte (and the rest of Tyrone taking their cue from him) is. That's where the disconnect between Tyrone people screaming "media bias" and everyone else screaming "are ye ****ing serious?" comes from imo.

Rightly or wrongly, we all outside think Tiernan McCann's dive is way more **** behaviour than Finlay leaving the knee in, while Mickey Harte thinks McCann is small beans by comparison.

I'm pulling this in here because the Sunday Game thread is already a total mess.

I agree with Harte there to be honest. I know I'm finished playing, but I'm seriously thinking about going back to Junior and I know that I'd mush rather the lad I'm marking take a dive that to punch me in the back of the head. Maybe I'm alone in that and maybe I'm wrong.

As for Harte instructing the lads to play like that, I know you don't say he does but so many on here have made that accusation. It's complete bollocks. Every single former player he's had has come out and says that it's not instructed or even coached as I've heard too. Surely if he was so methodical in telling his players to cheat or whatever someone in the last 13 years would have came out and said so that he's worked with.

How do we rate our chances against Kerry? Paddy Power have us at 7/2, pretty long odds for a two horse race. I think we're going into this in a lot better shape than two years ago. Back then, Sean was practically carrying the team on his own. This year other players are stepping up, and you could see how much it meant to them to beat Monaghan.

Kerry have the best midfield in the country, but I'm sure Mickey is planning on how to negate that. They've a lot of threat up front, plenty of goals in them, something we've been lacking in. If we can hold them goalless I think we've a chance.

At least we won't have to worry about any needle in this match :-)

• Advertisement

How do we rate our chances against Kerry? Paddy Power have us at 7/2, pretty long odds for a two horse race. I think we're going into this in a lot better shape than two years ago. Back then, Sean was practically carrying the team on his own. This year other players are stepping up, and you could see how much it meant to them to beat Monaghan.

Kerry have the best midfield in the country, but I'm sure Mickey is planning on how to negate that. They've a lot of threat up front, plenty of goals in them, something we've been lacking in. If we can hold them goalless I think we've a chance.

At least we won't have to worry about any needle in this match :-)

I'm in San Francisco so I'll need to find a bar open at 7am to catch it live :(

Not really sure tbh how this will go. We have a very good idea where Tyrone are but we still don't know just how good Kerry are. They destroyed Kildare, but Kildare just gave up after they started to fall behind so it's not really a good indicator.

Like any game against a big side we need to get a great start and keep it going. No lapses in concentration and hopefully no injuries/blacks to key players.

Kerry have conceded the following in the championship;
    Kildare 0-10
    Cork 1-06
    Cork 3-12
    Tipp 2-08

Their defence hasn't been amazing, especially at stopping goals going in.

In contrast we've conceded the following;
    Monaghan 0-14
    Sligo 0-14
    Tipp 0-07
    Meath 0-11
    Limerick 0-08
    Donegal 1-13

Apart from the goal against Donegal we've been rock solid a the back and even that was from a rebounded block iirc.

Tyrone really do need to go for goal, but with out running style every time we get within 30 we'll be fouled and will have to settle for the point. I'm genuinely worried now at how the reffing of the game will go. By rights the game should be reffed on it's own merit but in reality almost every ref will have seen the furore over Duffy and will be afraid to be seen to be giving 'soft' free's to Tyrone.

Tyrone are averaging just under 17 points a game, Kerry just under 23 but bear in mind that includes the Kildare game where they hit 37 in one match so the stats are skewed.

In the last 3 games we've managed to look very good going forward. Quick in moving the ball though the hands, good runs off the shoulder and finding space inside for the right men to take their points. My biggest worry is that we don't commit as many men to the attack as we have done. If we don't commit men then we're just going to hand the game to Kerry.

It'll be a high scoring game I reckon and Kerry will just edge it by 3/4 points.

Advertisement