Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Hi , I'm thinking of Richard Hammond on Top gear a couple of weeks ago falling off the £9000.00 carbon bike and making poo of the derailleur after getting caught in tram tracks in Russia and carrying on regardless , and there's me on my 180 euro hybrid puking if I drop it ,hoping nobody sees me doing it usually on a main street somewhere and there's never a counsellor around to deal with the injured pride - just when you need one !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    How long did it take to fully recover, it was a really bad injury during a race if I recall?

Really ? He never mentioned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Really ? He never mentioned that.

I could be totally wrong, but I think there was a get well soon Beasty thread a while ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Around 1994, I landed on my head, blacked out, couldn't see for a few minutes when I came to and ended up with epilepsy from it.

I started cycling again 12 months ago after about 14 years away from it, haven't fallen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

I was perusing this thread yesterday, thinking I had not come off the rothar in a few years. Cue this morning. Wheels went from under me taking a steep left turn downhill in Rathfarnham.
    Have a very sore wrist, just a sprain methinks, and various scrapes. Two cyclists behind me were a big help peeling me off the road as I was splat in the middle of a busy junction.
    Roads really are very slippy ay the moment. Was on my new road bike too. Had been cycling my missus’s Mary Poppins style bike for the last while whilst waiting for the new bike to arrive and I guess I’d forgotten the extra care one should take when on the skinny tyres. Actually really enjoyed the slow bike. Felt like I was in Amsterdam with my bell, basket, upright sitting position, etc.
    More what urban cycling should really be about perhaps. And the funny thing is, given the traffic on my commute, there is actually very little difference between the time it takes me to get in on both bikes, although there would be a difference in effort, granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

gadetra wrote: »
    Last august warming up at the national track championships. Coming down off the banking on an effort on wet track and front wheel went from under me on a line of paint that holds the water. Broken collarbone (4 places), broken left elbow, dislocated left shoulder, right shoulder still unstable. All reinforced bionically, fine now just doing physio still
    Ow, ow and ow. that must have hurt!

I havent had an issue with tarmac(touch wood) since failing outside the church in Kilcock as a funeral was departing on the june bank holiday 2 summers ago.
    I hope I havent jinxed meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

June 2012.

Underground car park has that fine concrete dust that can stick to the tyres.
    Came zipping out of the carpark onto the road, tried to take the bend at speed wheels just slipped from under me. Luckly the car behind me avoided running me over.... Just!

btw I did see a lady take a tumble on her evening commute as she crossed the Luas tracks on O'Connell street on Thursday last, having to slam on as a mother & her 2 kids just kept on walking despite the cyclist having the green light to cross the junction. it was one of those I knew it was going to happen but could do nothing about it moments.

She wasnt hurt thankfully, but the pedestrian was a bit suprised when the cyclist gave her a piece of her mind as well as a passsing Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Junior Tour 2013. Stage 2. 30km in. Dutch guy tries to avoid pothole and hits right into me . I go down. Broken wrist and my dreams crushed ;)...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    How long did it take to fully recover, it was a really bad injury during a race if I recall?

Another couple of years or so and I will probably be as right as I'll ever be, but the incessant progression towards senility may start to blur the boundaries between recovery and ageing......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Last crash was in late August. Had the bike serviced and first ride after I had just left the house and was going up the road. Looking at the front wheel Iw as thinking it didn't look square to the handle bars at was at this point I realised it wasn't and I hadn't being paying proper attention... I clipped the curb came off the bike bounced my head (helmet) off the curb, grindded the curb like a skateboarder using my phone which was in me left pocket and took a chunk of the impact on my hands. When the dust settled I had rectangular bruise on my leg in the shape of my phone, my phone was bent with a line ground into the glass from the curb edge, my shoulder was road rashed, chin grazed and both palms cut. Right palm needed 10 stitches, the doc stitching it gave me a tour of my nerves and tendons as a freebie. Left hand was sore for about 6 or 7 weeks but finally healed, x-rays said no break but they said could be a crack int here somewhere.

I always remember my gloves now and not to be so distracted as to cycle into the curb...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Weepsie wrote: »
    Last may, right into the Royal Canal. Didn't fancy the speed bump up ahead so opted to go around the small often dry track around it. Not dry, wheel just went and I went in, the bike didn't. Got myself out asap. Noone around to see it on the one hand I'm thankful for as it may have looked hilarious, but on the other hand I can't swim.

I've done the grand canal a fair few times, often in very cold and wet weather, and wondered what it would be like if I fell into the water. Glad to see someone has tried this and lived to tell the tale. I'd say it would have been tricky fishing the bike out if that had gone in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

5 years ago going up to sally gap. Not a big fall n thankfully no one around to laugh at me. Trying to clip back in from a start going up a hill doesnt work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've only ever fallen going down the ramp to work to the underground parking lot, the floor is so smooth down there that if you turn and there is any moisture you just do a really cool stunt slide slideways, it's movie worthy. When somebody asked was I ok, I was like...that was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

A couple of minor spills on my first group outing at the weekend, both due to my lack of experience with the SPD-SL clip in pedals ( I use SPDs on my MTB and OK with them, but the group dynamic seemed to complicate my decision making). Going to practice stops and slow riding around home before I head out again!

Before that a couple of weeks ago - head first over the handlebars when my front wheel was swallowed by a boghole disguised as a puddle. Nice soft landing on the heather anyhow.

Biggest wipeout was on my paper-round 30 odd years ago. Front fork snapped on the way down a steep hill, the wheel folded and I headed over the handlebars. Landed on my outstretched forearms and then slapped the road with my face. No mobile phones in those days to call my folks, had to finish my last few deliveries on foot dragging the bike behind me!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

June 2012.

Underground car park has that fine concrete dust that can stick to the tyres.
    Came zipping out of the carpark onto the road, tried to take the bend at speed wheels just slipped from under me. Luckly the car behind me avoided running me over.... Just!

Had a similar problem after a brief rain shower after a sunny week. Tried to do a gradual lane change at speed going around St Stephen's Green. The front wheel just went on the greasy surface. Managed to slide an action movie stunt level impressive distance down the road with the bike following close behind. I remember having the time to glance around as I was sliding and was starting to calculate of the car behind me would be able to stop in time to avoid running over my bike. Luckily it was. My hands and wrists were banged up, but not a trace of road rash.
    I've only ever fallen going down the ramp to work to the underground parking lot, the floor is so smooth down there that if you turn and there is any moisture you just do a really cool stunt slide slideways, it's movie worthy. When somebody asked was I ok, I was like...that was awesome.

I had a collision with a car once that involved the car nudging into me and me doing some kind of bumslide down the bonnet and then landing the bike and keeping upright as the car jammed on its brakes. The wing mirror snapped off and put a dent in my leg, but the incident must have looked pretty good from a spectators point of view.

To balance out the cooler falls I did have the classic mortifying clipless pedal collapse. These are all from years back, and I can't actually remember my last spill, so it must have been something daft like the tripping over the bike in the garden or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Last week. A pedestrian walks onto road without looking. I cycle straight into him and fall onto road. Usually it's a busy road. Thankfully that day there was no cars. I was too shocked to be embarrassed. Onlookers did help me up. He was genuinely sorry. No damage to the bike. My ankle and elbow were hurt but it was only minor. It could've been a whole worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Adding to my earlier post.

Fell not more than 15 mins ago. Doing about 45kph down a road about 500 metres from my previous crash.

Slowed down for the bend but obviously not enough. Front wheel totally slipped out from under me.

Thankfully it was a reasonable landing. Scrapes on the knee and upper thigh. Front grip and brake lever damage. Pedal taken a beating.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow morning. Will definitely slow down as the nerves will be on high alert now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In September

Hit in the back of the head by the wing mirror of a truck. I managed to hit the curb instead of going under the wheels.

He didn't stop, I didn't get the plates, all I know was that his truck had 'The Pie Guy' written on the back. I made a police report, they thought it was hilarious :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Last time I fell was Christmas day 2013 , went for a spin , went backroads from Leixlip out towards kilcock , as I came towards the junction at moyglare the bike went from under me on black ice , it knocked the wind out of me , it felt like I punctured a lung , I couldn't catch my breath and couldn't move on the road , if a car came around the corner I was dead , when I could move I had to take my bike out of the ditch which was a struggle in itself .
    I knew heading out that morning that it was silly but was given a free couple of hours so jumped at it . Since then I don't take any chances when there are possibilities of ice .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Falling versus collisions..

When I started cycling in the summer of 2013 I ventured to Marley Park and then took a left at the Lidl, towards the Nutgrove shopping centre.

At the bottom of the hill I swung left on my BSO and decided to join the cycle path.

I learnt that day that you never join a raised "path/cycle path/anything" at an an acute angle.

:(

Pedal tore a lump out of my shin and some kids thought it was HIGH ****in' larious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Twice today. Lights at Santry and then about 1km from the house. Left hand side both times. First was coming up to traffic lights, almost stopped. More embarrassing really. Second was on a slight kink, going slow as I knew it was greasy. Hit the road a bit harder. Bikes fine, I'm a bit sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Cyclocross - all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Most weekends at this stage - the latest one below was a downhill corner that turned into a cool drift that turned me upside down...
    http://gfycat.com/ThankfulDisastrousComet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

September 2012. Tour of Scottsdale, at the start. It's a mass start sportive, hit a bottle cap rolling up to my starting pen, arse over tit in front of a thousand or so leisure cyclists. Lovely.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

My last fall was on the velodrome, went to grab the rail at the start of a race and missed... Must have looked hilarious but the slide down the track gave me horrible track rash on my arse and basically destroyed my skin suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Puggy wrote: »
    Twice today. Lights at Santry and then about 1km from the house. Left hand side both times. First was coming up to traffic lights, almost stopped. More embarrassing really. Second was on a slight kink, going slow as I knew it was greasy. Hit the road a bit harder. Bikes fine, I'm a bit sore.

Thanks God for that! Bones heal, carbon fibre cracks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Saw this thread last night. Couldn't think the last time I had a fall. Hit a lorry this morning. Bike is fine. I'm grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The roads around north county Dublin are very slippery at the moment. There not too bad during daylight hours, but early morning and in the evening there slippery as hell...be careful out there!

Advertisement