Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Snowfire wrote: »
    Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

Bekina Steplite are light years ahead of those hip breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

badtoro wrote: »
    Bekina Steplite are light years ahead of those hip breakers.

Maybe the holes are to attach the hobbles to so...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Grueller wrote: »
    Have a pair of them and couldn't figure it out. They are a heavy wellington though

From their website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd a heifer with bloat this past few days. I dosed her today with some liquid paraffin.
    She was out wintered though I moved them to a nice bit of grass last Wednesday.
    It's not something I'd expect this early in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'd a heifer with bloat this past few days. I dosed her today with some liquid paraffin.

Now if you had some biochar...

Ok I'll stop now. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Much clover..?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The 12 volt port in my Jeep stopped working during the week, I'm no mechanic but I suspected a blown fuse was to blame. I didn't have any suitable fuse and decided it was easiest to get the lad in the garage/tyre place beside the mart to stick one in it while I was at work. At the start of the shift I left the Jeep outside the garage and informed him where it was, keys left in the ignition and he said he'd do it at some stage during the day.

I duly left him to it and went about my business as usual. A few hours later I got a phone call from him and was told sternly that "there's no fu#king fuse gone in this yoke". As I said before I'm gifted at many things but mechanical repairs are usually beyond me, therefore I had no reason to doubt him and was left wondering as to what could have caused the problem and how awkward/expensive the repair would be.

Over the phone he went on to inform me that he'd spent the guts of an hour swapping fuses, messing with a voltage meter and tracing wiring. Work wasn't that busy and I decided that a quick trip out as far as him would be the best idea and I could see for myself what was happening. I was greet by the sight of all doors and bonnet open, several fuses and voltage meter's strewn on the passenger seat and my mechanic muttering to himself while stuck head first into the fuse box under the steering wheel. The presence of a woman waiting to get tyres fitted while he wasted precious time on what should have been a 2 minute job didn't help matters.

I immediately spotted the problem and told him that I had bad news. That wasn't my Jeep, another lad had pulled up outside my Jeep with an almost identical one and left the keys in the ignition. My mechanic had walked out and opened the door which was unlocked, was greeted by the keys and set to work without question as to whose the vehicle was. Once he'd looked at the correct Jeep it was a 30 second job to stick in a new fuse and the port was back working again. As I said to him afterwards it was a good job I didn't tell him to stick on 4 new tyres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Much clover..?

I would think practically zero. Reseeded in 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Too early in the year any way for clover. Sudden change of diet can be a problem.
    Let the cattle the option of nibbling a silage bale. My own occasionally stroll back in to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

Got a pair last week too, nice, don't know reason though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's just a waterline, if you're not watching where you are going and you feel the dribble down inside your wellie, you know you're knee deep in sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Water John wrote: »
    It's just a waterline, if you're not watching where you are going and you feel the dribble down inside your wellie, you know you're knee deep in sh1t.

Reminds me of an incident a few yrs back. Neighbour had 3 heifers climb into a slurry channel and then down into a slatted tank. There was about 2.5ft of watery soup in the tank. We had to build a ramp to get them back out. Last one broke our heart. I had waders on and had to do a few lengths of the tank before she climbed out. I made a shocking discovery though. There were holes in the waders around knee height. Had a gallon of shyte in both legs when i got out. I got some laugh when i pulled them off and poured out the contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I used get a few with bloat in the sheds in spring before and just after leaving them out. My vet told me to dose them for coccidiosis and no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Booked a heifer for a local sale, 25 minutes of not getting through, followed by 3 minutes on hold while taking an early break
    You'd think there would be easier ways

Head down for the rest of the day now

Booked a heifer for a local sale, 25 minutes of not getting through, followed by 3 minutes on hold while taking an early break
    You'd think there would be easier ways

Head down for the rest of the day now

Perhaps befriend one of the staff and you could book through them if there reliable. There's usually one person in charge of sorting out the sales sheets and doing up the physical numbers. This is how the dealers and regulars book every week in most places I've frequented. I've found dealing with office staff can be hit and miss as it's hard to always get the same person and therefore you can be forgotten easily. A local haulier or dealer if trustworthy would also get the job done, there regulars and therefore usually have more of a shout regards getting booked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Perhaps befriend one of the staff and you could book through them if there reliable. There's usually one person in charge of sorting out the sales sheets and doing up the physical numbers. This is how the dealers and regulars book every week in most places I've frequented. I've found dealing with office staff can be hit and miss as it's hard to always get the same person and therefore you can be forgotten easily. A local haulier or dealer if trustworthy would also get the job done, there regulars and therefore usually have more of a shout regards getting booked in.

Sadly I know you're right, but it not a fair system

Sadly I know you're right, but it not a fair system

I don't know of many fair systems that involve dealing with large numbers of people tbh. If I go into a local Agri merchant's for 5 bags of meal and the local beef Baron is there getting his weekly ton pallet of same who is going to get a better price and payment options? It's not fair but such is life imo. As with everything I believe you have to work with what you have and befriending a key person in any situation will always pay dividends regards how your looked after. Perhaps throwing one of the more approachable lads a tenner every so often would do the trick. If he's anyways interested in the job than I'm sure he'll not see you stuck for much the next time he sees you coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't know of many fair systems that involve dealing with large numbers of people tbh. If I go into a local Agri merchant's for 5 bags of meal and the local beef Baron is there getting his weekly ton pallet of same who is going to get a better price and payment options? It's not fair but such is life imo. As with everything I believe you have to work with what you have and befriending a key person in any situation will always pay dividends regards how your looked after. Perhaps throwing one of the more approachable lads a tenner every so often would do the trick. If he's anyways interested in the job than I'm sure he'll not see you stuck for much the next time he sees you coming.

The more we change the more we stay the same.
    Sadly the advice above is probably very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

the difference is if you're in the que ahead of the lad getting the pallet you'll get your bags before the baron

_Brian wrote: »
    The more we change the more we stay the same.
    Sadly the advice above is probably very accurate.

This is getting very philosophical for a debate about the trials and tribulations of getting good numbers in a sale. One of the conclusions that I've came to during my time on this rock is that what should happen and what does happen aren't always one and the same. I believe this fact rings through in every aspect of life and if you can make peace with it everything becomes easier. Fairness or unfairness is a human imposed concept imo and is only present in the minds of those who believe in it.

I'll try to get back to the matter in hand and I still would argue that pre-booking lot numbers is as good a system as any. The concept of first come first serve is great in theory but is easily manipulated also. The occasional or unknown clients are out before dawn while preferential numbers are left aside for regulars who arrive at a more sociable hour and will still make it to the ring before those queuing since early morning.

As for "draws" to decide the order of sale there another nuisance imo. In for example a sale with 500 lots and you're 300 back then if you decide to show stock you'd be soon enough arriving after the sale starts if this is allowed by the mart. It's somewhat annoying to be there since early morning and have to wait till dark night for your turn to sell as the draw went against you or a heap of numbers were held for a dealer or other good client. Having said this I never understand why some lads are so eager to get out of marts as quickly as possible. It's one of the few pay days in the year if selling and is still of crucial importance if buying. I've always enjoyed it and still do even with working at it for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

State of shock tonight - a chap i knew well growing up back home found his 27 year old eldest son hanging from the bridge at a local beauty spot yesterday. Devastation all round:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Birdnuts wrote: »
    State of shock tonight - a chap i knew well growing up back home found his 27 year old eldest son hanging from the bridge at a local beauty spot yesterday. Devastation all round:(

That’s awful to hear. It’s really tough on a community- the poor family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Getting a few jobs done around this week- have the children but a local girl is minding them for a few hours.

Yesterday was one of those days that everything slotted into place-

The smallest lad settled for the babysitter so she was happier going home.

We had a jigsaw tractor that I was going scrapping because I was sick of lads coming to take it but either not showing up or turning it down- a lad took it yesterday- cleared the yard up a bit and a few quid in mams pocket.

A cow calved unassisted and the calf sucked and jumping around the place. Cow cleaned quickly and they settled well. Cow was only on silage but this is the first year of blouses.

Got to chop up and split a few trees that were around the place.

Got a walk in with the sister and was back in time to bring the small lady to story time in the library.

If the weather clears off today, I’ll try getting the scrap pile ready for collection and clear a few sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Getting a few jobs done around this week- have the children but a local girl is minding them for a few hours.

We had a jigsaw tractor that I was going scrapping because I was sick of lads coming to take it but either not showing up or turning it down- a lad took it yesterday- cleared the yard up a bit and a few quid in mams pocket.

A cow calved unassisted and the calf sucked and jumping around the place. Cow cleaned quickly and they settled well. Cow was only on silage but this is the first year of blouses.

Got a walk in with the sister and was back in time to bring the small lady to story time in the library.

If the weather clears off today, I’ll try getting the scrap pile ready for collection and clear a few sheds

Goodman,
    ah you were due a day like that to be fair to you.

on a side note, does any know if twin heifers are more likely to have twins themself? have 2 lovely ch twin heifers here out of a very good simental/blue cow. I normally wouldn't keep ch cows at all. but my small one is mad about um as there off her cow. She called um Thelma & Louise.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Goodman,
    ah you were due a day like that to be fair to you.

on a side note, does any know if twin heifers are more likely to have twins themself? have 2 lovely ch twin heifers here out of a very good simental/blue cow. I normally wouldn't keep ch cows at all. but my small one is mad about um as there off her cow. She called um Thelma & Louise.
    I have 3 cows expecting twins this year. The oldest one is having her third set in 6 calvings. One of the other cows is a 3rd lactation daughter of hers and the other is off her twin sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Good work. What the heck is a jigsaw tractor? I’ve googled it but can only find kids toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Odelay wrote: »
    Good work. What the heck is a jigsaw tractor? I’ve googled it but can only find kids toys.

Made up out of bits and pieces I'd guess - I have had one like that myself ;)

We had a birthday party here for the youngest lad today, 19 8-10yos, like sucky calves left outside for the first time after weaning:D
    Anyway, there were two teams of 9 a side soccer and one quiet lad who doesn't like sports but the rest of the lads look after him well normally.

Not today, though. He spent the whole time outside sitting down with the 3 dogs here, took his food outside and ate sitting down with them too and the dogs following him around all day. He loves coming here to play with the dogs but his mother keeps telling us he's afraid of dogs so they won't get him one:rolleyes:

People are strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

This farming life starting on BBC2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We had a birthday party here for the youngest lad today, 19 8-10yos, like sucky calves left outside for the first time after weaning:D
    Anyway, there were two teams of 9 a side soccer and one quiet lad who doesn't like sports but the rest of the lads look after him well normally.

Not today, though. He spent the whole time outside sitting down with the 3 dogs here, took his food outside and ate sitting down with them too and the dogs following him around all day. He loves coming here to play with the dogs but his mother keeps telling us he's afraid of dogs so they won't get him one:rolleyes:

People are strange.
    You know well what's going on there.

The mother is using the son as an excuse cos she'd be the one left to feed and clean up after the bugger.

Had you no paddock fenced with sheep and barb wire for those smallies? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement