Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    To be fair gozunda, I didn’t tar all hunts just our local one, there is another one that’s passes every Christmas and never an issue, we lost ewes and lambs a few years ago when despite NOT giving them permission they went into the land and drove heavy inlamb ewes all over the place, on another occasion again due to stock on the land they were refused permission, again they entered and when told to get out a number of them told my father to f’ck off. I really can only speak to this one hunt which is a quite large and well known

Can you not go the legal route? Send them a solicitors letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Ours would be and it doesn't sound like fun to me either. @butford I'd love
    To do that but it's a wood and too many entrance points-it's something I might have to look at thou. Tbf on the hunts the way the land is they are always going to end up in there and I'm aware of that and I was easy going about it if they just gave me some notice as surely they are aware as well. We have too many around the place as there was a fifth that was going to come through last week but decided to go a different route after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I'd shoot the dogs. Or shoot at the dogs.They are causing livestock to be upset. There will be agro afterwards but they won't come back.

I warned them guard, look at my stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

L1985 wrote: »
    Ours would be and it doesn't sound like fun to me either. @butford I'd love
    To do that but it's a wood and too many entrance points-it's something I might have to look at thou. Tbf on the hunts the way the land is they are always going to end up in there and I'm aware of that and I was easy going about it if they just gave me some notice as surely they are aware as well. We have too many around the place as there was a fifth that was going to come through last week but decided to go a different route after.

If you had a chat with your neighbours would they agree to banning the hunt off their land.It might not be worth their while hunting in the area then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We normally get a notice in the post a week before the hunt is to be held. Now there's no number to contact anyone on it and they still address it to my dad, farm has been in my name nearly 20 years

• Advertisement

TBH I wouldn't shoot dogs unless they were worrying stock-not their fault Thor owners are arrogant assholes! I don't want to go into too many identifying details here as I've prob said enough but my neighbours wouldn't ban the hunt.
    @whelab the first hunt called-no one here and left no card! I explicitly messaged them last year and said for the third time we have to be told-apparently driving down the lane classifies as being told! It shows their respect for landowners now doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

L1985 wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't shoot dogs unless they were worrying stock-not their fault Thor owners are arrogant assholes! I don't want to go into too many identifying details here as I've prob said enough but my neighbours wouldn't ban the hunt.
    @whelab the first hunt called-no one here and left no card! I explicitly messaged them last year and said for the third time we have to be told-apparently driving down the lane classifies as being told! It shows their respect for landowners now doesn't it!

Think shooting dog's in this situation would be very heavy handed, can you put up, no hunting, no trespassing signs, and post a cease and desist letter to the hunt master for each hunt club, they won't have a leg to stand on then. As I understand when there are no signs up, legally they are classed as visitors, not trespassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Local hunt came tru our area a few years back. The dogs got ahead of the riders and went tru a local sheep farm. Drove a lot of sheep into deep trenches and drowned them. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

How not to calve a cow, courtesy of a vegan animal sanctuary :rolleyes:

Also if you look at the latest tweet, there is something definitely wrong with the cow, skinny as fcuk & no milk.
    https://twitter.com/bhfreebh/status/1079446973550333953

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Was that hunting with dogs shyte not banned years ago??

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Was that hunting with dogs shyte not banned years ago??

Drag hunts are allowed, not actual fox hunting. Though if they come across a fox they'll go after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How not to calve a cow, courtesy of a vegan animal sanctuary :rolleyes:

Also if you look at the latest tweet, there is something definitely wrong with the cow, skinny as fcuk & no milk.
    https://twitter.com/bhfreebh/status/1079446973550333953
    And the milk for feeding the calf was sourced from other farms nearby as the mother was dry at the time the second video was released.

And the vet who examined that cow posted a letter saying the cow was in perfect health, a vet whose speciality was in pets and 'companion farm animals'.

Yeah, companion farm animals....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The hunting will be gone in another generation. No young lads to be seen following it around here. Man next to me keeps a few dogs seven or eight I think. Only 4 lads in the local hunt now and they're all shoving on and a bit crocked.
    I'd love to see it packed in. Hate seeing lads marching across the farm. I consider it the same as standing on a grave. The height of ignorance. Thankfully no mounted hunt here. Passed along the road about 10 yrs ago. They hunt neighbouring townlands on occasions. Definitely not popular. Headed by bigwigs and could have up to 40 horses out on a day. Lots of kids out on ponies as well. They had a knackery as well but that closed in the last few months. Some lads are lamenting this now as they would get a concession on fallen stock as the hunt would cross their land even though they didn't give them permission. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Drag hunts are allowed, not actual fox hunting. Though if they come across a fox they'll go after it.
    When was fox hunting banned in Ireland?
    Stag hunting was banned (Ward Union) a few years ago.

Base price wrote: »
    When was fox hunting banned in Ireland?
    Stag hunting was banned (Ward Union) a few years ago.

I stand corrected, thought it had been banned here but seems the Leitrim Harriers only tend to do the drag hunts.

I stand corrected, thought it had been banned here but seems the Leitrim Harriers only tend to do the drag hunts.
    A number of hunts (both harrier and fox hound packs) are now either full drag hunts or will lay a drag in areas where land is limited.

Anyone who has had repeated issues with their local hunt should contact the Hunting Association of Ireland http://www.huntingassociation.ie/index.html#contact

148multi wrote: »
    Think shooting dog's in this situation would be very heavy handed, can you put up, no hunting, no trespassing signs, and post a cease and desist letter to the hunt master for each hunt club, they won't have a leg to stand on then. As I understand when there are no signs up, legally they are classed as visitors, not trespassers.
    Dont you know the dogs can't read the signs apparently....

Thanks base price. I will be contacting them. I don't think they realise the issues they cause-because I work full time I'm under serious pressure on Saturdays and don't have the time for that kind of carry on. Also im protective of my stock and don't want them stressed or worried for no reason. The sense of entitlement beggars believe although part of the issue is hat my dad was too soft with them for too many years.
    We don't seem to have drag hunts around here-they are all after foxes!

Yeah, six bells and it's still daylight :)

Base price wrote: »
    Yeah, six bells and it's still daylight :)

I just said that here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Evening stretch is now near 90 mins. The 16 weeks of dark time, that's 8 weeks before and after winter solstice is nearly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    Evening stretch is now near 90 mins. The 16 weeks of dark time, that's 8 weeks before and after winter solstice is nearly over.

Hopefully the daylight saving time rubbish will be done away with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

The bit I cannot understand is, why it doesn't revert to summer time at the end of February rather than waiting for a third month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Farmer wrote: »
    The bit I cannot understand is, why it doesn't revert to summer time at the end of February rather than waiting for a third month

Exactly!

Rang Corrib oil looking for a delivery in the next few days at 11.45. Lorry just pulled up now! Must be a slow day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rang Corrib oil looking for a delivery in the next few days at 11.45. Lorry just pulled up now! Must be a slow day :pac:

I was asking the driver one day about this, I’d rang at 9am and delivery by 3pm.
    The fully load each truck and each has an narea it covers, even if no actual orders in the book the truck is loaded and sent out, they can then fulfill orders immediately they come in.

It’s an impressive business strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Brian wrote: »
    I was asking the driver one day about this, I’d rang at 9am and delivery by 3pm.
    The fully load each truck and each has an narea it covers, even if no actual orders in the book the truck is loaded and sent out, they can then fulfill orders immediately they come in.

It’s an impressive business strategy

It makes good business sense. Even to redirect loads no point in having a truck to drive out of its way next day to deliver to one house. The company I order it has a lad driving that lives a few miles away. They always tell me it will be delivered next day, I know it will be delivered that evening last load on the way home.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Snowfire wrote: »
    Can’t bate the feeling of nice new comfy wellies, but any ideas what the hole at the top is for...?

Have a pair of them and couldn't figure it out. They are a heavy wellington though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Snowfire wrote: »

its to let the steam out when you are working too hard:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement