Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

Esther McCarthy (I think that's her name) also recommended Roma this weekend.

It's shot in Mexico, in Black & white, and it's got subtitles: but it's a really unlikely possibity for Best Picture. It's a beautiful film. Watch it on Netflix, if you get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

i fell asleep during it. bohemian rhapsody is a far better movie.

I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was extraordinarily dull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

"I see a little ****ty echo of a man. "

Did you? Admittedly, I didn't think the acting was great, but thought it told a great story. I suppose it did somewhat rely on the viewer being a Queen fan. Are you not?

Burn the witch.

Did you? Admittedly, I didn't think the acting was great, but thought it told a great story. I suppose it did somewhat rely on the viewer being a Queen fan. Are you not?

Burn the witch.

I love Queen. I just think it went out of its way to make Mercury look like a slightly pathetic figure and it was your standard sanitised biopic that didn't capture even a hundredth of the charisma of the man and played extremely hard and fast with the truth. First thing we did after watching the movie was to stick on Queen's actual performance from Live Aid which is still amazing after all this time.

I kind of wish they had stuck with Sasha Baron Cohen and what he wanted to do with the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I love Queen. I just think it went out of its way to make Mercury look like a slightly pathetic figure and it was your standard sanitised biopic that didn't capture even a hundredth of the charisma of the man and played extremely hard and fast with the truth. First thing we did after watching the movie was to stick on Queen's actual performance from Live Aid which is still amazing after all this time.

I kind of wish they had stuck with Sasha Baron Cohen and what he wanted to do with the movie.

Haven't seen it but read several opinion pieces which claimed the movie under portrayed the level of hedonism which marked his life?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Haven't seen it but read several opinion pieces which claimed the movie under portrayed the level of hedonism which marked his life?

Not one scene of a dwarf walking around with a tray of cocaine on their heads... totally disgusted. And you never see Freddie actually indulging in anything beyond a bit of booze iirc.

I love the parenting slot, and the current contributor is really professional, but God, you'd miss David Carey and his common sense and his good humour

I love the parenting slot, and the current contributor is really professional, but God, you'd miss David Carey and his common sense and his good humour

Paolo Tulio and David Carey were two brilliant contributors to the show that are still sadly missed. The interview with David Carey that Sean played after his death was a really fascinating insight into the man's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭baldbear

yeah i really miss Paulo Tullio too & the bee keeper guy Philip McCabe. They all sounded like such lovely people & their voices were magical.

That Kate Mcguinness one who does the reviews in the Independant now can be so mean. Paulo was never mean like that but you knew when he wasn't over impressed with a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Esther McCarthy (I think that's her name) also recommended Roma this weekend.

It's shot in Mexico, in Black & white, and it's got subtitles: but it's a really unlikely possibity for Best Picture. It's a beautiful film. Watch it on Netflix, if you get a chance.

A beautiful film indeed.

Albeit a dull and boring,beautiful film.

I know, i know......

Save your bile.

Im obviously an uncultured Neanderthal.

:rolleyes:

Paolo Tulio and David Carey were two brilliant contributors to the show that are still sadly missed. The interview with David Carey that Sean played after his death was a really fascinating insight into the man's life.
    I didn't hear that - doubt it's still online, sadly.

And yes - how could we forget Paolo? Two very different characters, but both sadly missed. I'm sure, if there is a Heaven, Paolo is getting David drunk on a robust Pinot Noir, and David is drawing out Paolo's childhood traumas and how they've shaped his personality.

Uncharted wrote: »
    A beautiful film indeed.

Albeit a dull and boring,beautiful film.

I know, i know......

Save your bile.

Im obviously an uncultured Neanderthal.

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I guess it depends on your mood at the time. On Friday night, I was in the mood for something tragic and slow-burning, so I loved it. Definitely not the kind of movie you'd watch on a Saturday night before going to meet your mates. What a downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

I didn't hear that - doubt it's still online, sadly.

MP3 to download or listen here

The interview with David Carey that Sean played after his death was a really fascinating insight into the man's life.

I remember that.
    I heard it at the original airing,and I stopped what I was doing to take it all in. It was beautifully done.
    A real honest richness and honesty to David's voice as he opened up about his own beginnings.

An educated and worldly wise man,the world is indeed a poorer place for his loss.

Im smiling as I recall it.
    Thanks for reminding me of it.

Excellent (although bittersweet) piece of radio.

That guy on talking about the virtues of nationalism was fair bit of a gobshíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭tampopo

styron wrote: »

Just listened to it. Thank you so much for the link.

styron wrote: »
    Oh God, that's really bloody moving. He had an incredibly warm voice, it was so comforting even to listen to him speak. He was the greatest advocate for kids we've had on Irish radio for many years; Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís

Oh God, that's really bloody moving. He had an incredibly warm voice, it was so comforting even to listen to him speak. He was the greatest advocate for kids we've had on Irish radio for many years; Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís

+1

The Ozzie movie critic ( Serena Bellissimo ?? )
    is absolutely stealing a living.

She is an atrocious movie critic ( is she a genuine critic) and it grates on me that she is asked for her ill informed opinion on movies.

Sean openly hums and haws in a questioning way when she gives her critique.

Esther Mc Carthy is no great shakes either btw,but is Mark Kermode - esque in comparison to this charlatan.

It's cringe inducing to listen to.

Inept beyond belief. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Ozzie movie critic ( Serena Bellissimo ?? )
    is absolutely stealing a living.

She is an atrocious movie critic ( is she a genuine critic) and it grates on me that she is asked for her ill informed opinion on movies.

Sean openly hums and haws in a questioning way when she gives her critique.

Esther Mc Carthy is no great shakes either btw,but is Mark Kermode - esque in comparison to this charlatan.

It's cringe inducing to listen to.

Inept beyond belief. :(

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to suggest "Well why don't you do it if you know so much" but is it not the case that all critics views are subjective?

What we are hearing is one persons view.

Like, for instance, Danny Baker (UK comedian) took the stance that the film Bohemian Raphsody should not have been made because there were so many other bands (in his view) which were better than them.

=

When Esther is on, people praise the Aussie; when the Aussie is on, we all love Esther again :D

I personally prefer listening to Esther. There's something dark about her. She's quite cynical in a very endearing way.

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to suggest "Well why don't you do it if you know so much" but is it not the case that all critics views are subjective?

What we are hearing is one persons view.

Like, for instance, Danny Baker (UK comedian) took the stance that the film Bohemian Raphsody should not have been made because there were so many other bands (in his view) which were better than them.

It goes without saying that movie critics are by definition,just giving their own opinion on a certain movie.
    That's a given.

My issue with Serena is that she seems to be for want of a better description, a complete airhead.

Little to no knowledge of particular movie characters,previous roles,upcoming movies, relationships between actors and directors, etc etc.

She seems to review in a "by numbers" kind of way,if you get what I mean.
    An overly simplistic take on what sometimes requires a nuanced point of view.

Today for example,she claimed the movie " Isn't it romantic" was enjoyable and worth a look because she enjoyed the fact that Rebel Wilson ( automatic avoid alert) and Liam Hemsworth both used their ozzie accents.

I mean wtf??

Every week she is on,Moncrieff is audibly in doubt of her knowledge and openly scoffs.

She is a trainwreck imo

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but on the other hand, it's nice to hear a film critic who isnt condescending towards popular TV and film. Yesterday she admitted to watching Home and Away, and enjoying Love Actually.

Imagine if Hugh Linehan said that. The Irish Times would have him taken out at dawn and shot.

I'm also personally conscious of being too hard on professional contributors to radio programmes. It's one thing for headline broadcasters, who are paid reasonably well, or very well, to be in the public eye. But people like Serena, Esther, and other contributors probably just make a regular salary from all their roles combined. (that wasn't a dig at your post Uncharted, just a personal view)

It goes without saying that movie critics are by definition,just giving their own opinion on a certain movie.
    That's a given.

My issue with Serena is that she seems to be for want of a better description, a complete airhead.

Little to no knowledge of particular movie characters,previous roles,upcoming movies, relationships between actors and directors, etc etc.

She seems to review in a "by numbers" kind of way,if you get what I mean.
    An overly simplistic take on what sometimes requires a nuanced point of view.

Today for example,she claimed the movie " Isn't it romantic" was enjoyable and worth a look because she enjoyed the fact that Rebel Wilson ( automatic avoid alert) and Liam Hemsworth both used their ozzie accents.

I mean wtf??

Every week she is on,Moncrieff is audibly in doubt of her knowledge and openly scoffs.

She is a trainwreck imo

I think if this was the case, she would be no longer on the show. It's not like guests are being forced on Sean.

I think if this was the case, she would be no longer on the show. It's not like guests are being forced on Sean.

It is the case.

Its audible.

Extremely so.

I listen most weeks if not every week. I know Sean is very sarky and caustic with most things,but each contributor is listened to and responded to with relative grace.

Not so with Serena.

His sark-ometer is audibly raised and his tone is of a questioning manner when responding to Serena's inputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Presumably the show producer is the decision maker about who is on the show? I'm sure the presenter has an input but I doubt they get to call the shots.

Presumably the show producer is the decision maker about who is on the show? I'm sure the presenter has an input but I doubt they get to call the shots.
    I think the normal practice is a kind of conference where people have their input and make suggrstions about upcoming content.

I'd be surprised if a broadcaster like Tubridy had no input into the content of a show which he hosts, be that on TV or radio.

I think the normal practice is a kind of conference where people have their input and make suggrstions about upcoming content.

I'd be surprised if a noteworthy broadcaster like Tubridy/ Duffy/ Moncrieff had no input into the content of a show which he hosts, be that on TV or radio.

I can't see any circumstance where presenters of the level Moncrieff is at would have to tolerate a frequent guest who they have no time for.

Hook's frequent contributors moved with him from one slot to the other. So too some of Ivan Yates'. Yates' show had a different producer I'm pretty certain, not sure about Hook's.

• Advertisement

For clarity, in my post ,I did not insinuate Moncrieff has no time for Serena.
    I'm saying it's clear from the audio on movies n booze, that Serena is acknowledged as being a lightweight critic.
    She seems to know it herself going by the banter between them.

I am not claiming Sean holds her in contempt.

Their relationship seems more playfully mocking and sarky than professional.

All imo of course before I'm lambasted.

Advertisement