Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2020, 10:00   #61
Hubertj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa05 View Post
I think you overestimate the Government. Seeing how they spend taxpayers money, it would not surprise me if they increased their value and earning power

I read that they solved the homeless issue by procuring holiday let's at full season price pre covid lock down

Complete and utter stupidity to be buying up airbnb"s. All of them were built as resedintial units. Enforce the law and keep them as resedintial units
0 cost to taxpayer

Airbnb is for the letting of a room in your own house which you live in not a completely empty unit
I don’t agree with not being able to let a full house or apartment at least some of the time. Many families would be unable to afford vacations if hotels were the only option.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 10:13   #62
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik
It looks to me like the problem is going to be that the government buy up or lease all property for social housing in the next few years, leaving very little for normal buyers, but costing the tax payer a fortune. So not only basically the normal buyer is now bidding against the council, who are increasing prices and to add insult to injury using the normal buyers own money (taxes) to do this. Pretty soon you wont be able to own a house unless you are given it by the council. Because there will be nothing left for you.
That appears to be the plan. There is an article in the Irish Times today saying as much, will post later. Wealth funds are lining up to avail of those 750k leases on 2 bed apartments with the state responsible for maintenance

I think the one positive from Government policy is that no country will ever have to invade us as what country would risk their own citizens life's when our Government will bow to anyone coming flashing a bit of printed money

Shocking stuff

I would advise any Ftb to approach/contact their local government TD to explain this nonsense and why they are using your taxpayers money to make your life more difficult and enriching foreign property funds
14-07-2020, 10:59   #63
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertj
I don’t agree with not being able to let a full house or apartment at least some of the time. Many families would be unable to afford vacations if hotels were the only option.

If its your principle private residence, there is no issue with that.

There are over 60, 000 houses legally classed as holiday homes in Ireland plus the plethora of hotels built during the course of the last boom/bust cycle
Plus student accomodation that is available for tourists during peak season. There is no shortage of holiday lets

Implement the laws of the land and make residential property solely for residential purposes. Stop wasting money buying property that is not abiding by those conditions
(3) thanks from:
14-07-2020, 11:10   #64
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
Quote:
There are over 60, 000 houses legally classed as holiday homes in Ireland plus the plethora of hotels built during the course of the last boom/bust cycle
Plus student accomodation that is available for tourists during peak season. There is no shortage of holiday lets
I think the building of housing should be prioritised over the building of hotels. And I think that short term lets should be regulated.

But there absolutely is a shortage of holiday lets and definitely a shortage of hotel space. I think if the government legislation (90 day limit) was actually enforceable / enforced it would be a fine compromise.
Thanks from:
14-07-2020, 11:25   #65
Hubertj

Quote:

Implement the laws of the land and make residential property solely for residential purposes. Stop wasting money buying property that is not abiding by those conditions
how many holiday homes are in Dublin?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 12:31   #66
Villa05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertj View Post
how many holiday homes are in Dublin?

Whats more important? Housing for people working there or people there for a couple of nights
Thanks from:
14-07-2020, 12:37   #67
Villa05

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...sEnabled=false

Quote:
In a new report, published on Monday, the real estate group said there had been “increased demand” over the past six months, with investors “keen to acquire residential units and schemes let to local authorities on long-term leases”
........The increased demand from investors in the sector is attributed to the “long-term secure income stream” guaranteed from a local authority or an Approved Housing Body.

“Investors get the benefit of long-term secure income with little or no day-to-day management, repair or maintenance responsibility, while the local authority or AHB gets access to housing to enable them to reduce their housing lists,” the report said
14-07-2020, 12:40   #68
Villa05

From the same article

Quote:
Separately, office take-up in Dublin during the second quarter reached only 9,885sq m, which was the lowest quarterly take-up ever recorded in the capital, according to another report from CBRE.
It noted that many transactions were cancelled or put on hold as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown.
14-07-2020, 12:43   #69
Roberto_gas

Couple of firends bought houses as they got calls where they were outbid ! Possibly someone pulled out due to COVID and they were able to buy the houses...in general lots of new properties coming up in south dublin which was never the case...Bids are still over asking for few.

Supply is where i think there is some impact...none on prices ! The wait continues
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 12:44   #70
boma_12

definitely 2008 all over again -with business as usual attitude in Ire, but it will hit big time --- the first wave of redundancies started in UK -Ire will follow , by October mortgage holidays will be over and furlough will end, what does that mean? Next step => end of October second wave corona virus and lockdown, more business will fly ,more redundancies and martial law in US.. The FED,banks,NAMA will be buying these distressed businesses for peanuts, all in progress as designed..
(2) thanks from:
14-07-2020, 12:47   #71
Villa05

WFH gaining in popularity only 1 in 6 want to revert to a 5 day in office work week

24% want to WFH 2 to 3 days a week
20% want to WFH 1 to 2 days a week
20% want to WFH 3 to 4 days a week

AIB Survey
14-07-2020, 14:47   #72
wassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by errlloyd View Post
I think the building of housing should be prioritised over the building of hotels. And I think that short term lets should be regulated.

But there absolutely is a shortage of holiday lets and definitely a shortage of hotel space. I think if the government legislation (90 day limit) was actually enforceable / enforced it would be a fine compromise.
Whilst I agree that housing should be prioritised, its worth remembering that hotel & short term accommodation, especially around Dublin region, is critical for economic activity during the working week for business travellers and construction workers.
14-07-2020, 14:53   #73
ELM327

Quote:
WFH gaining in popularity only 1 in 6 want to revert to a 5 day in office work week

24% want to WFH 2 to 3 days a week
20% want to WFH 1 to 2 days a week
20% want to WFH 3 to 4 days a week

AIB Survey
Not surprising at all.
The old 5 day presenteeism office week is dead.
14-07-2020, 15:11   #74
Naos

Quote:

So just to clarify (and please note, I do not own two homes):

If I choose to save my money over a number of years and buy or build a second home as a holiday home, where I will be contributing to the local employment & local economy as opposed to pissing it away on holidays abroad, I should not be allowed to do so?
14-07-2020, 15:39   #75
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naos View Post
So just to clarify (and please note, I do not own two homes):

If I choose to save my money over a number of years and buy or build a second home as a holiday home, where I will be contributing to the local employment & local economy as opposed to pissing it away on holidays abroad, I should not be allowed to do so?
After the initial build, during which your builders will buy a few pints and roles in the local pubs and shops, you will contribute little or nothing to the local economy. You will make it harder for locals to obtain housing as you have taken a site. You will spend very little money in your holiday area, as you will be mostly self catering and quite likely bringing in your supplies from outside the area. Unoccupied holiday homes in resort areas are a blight. They contribute very little to the local economy and cause a lot of problems.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion