Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Taking six months off work for personal reasons. But I want to use the time to get into a few things, baking included - mainly bread / flatbread but some of the stuff you lads post looks incredible and is tempting me. I think I may have asked this before but I can't find the post (thanks boards!).

Are there any bibles out there for breadmaking, be they books / websites / youtube channels etc? And 'must have' bits of gear? I don't have a mixer, for example.

I realise practice and failure will be my greatest teacher but I do want to do a bit of research before diving in.

• Depends what kind of bread you’re making to be honest! 🥲

you don’t need a stand mixer at all. It’s nice to have though. But going by hand is a good workout too. 🤣

Essentials I suppose are just a big mixing bowl, a bowl to prove the bread in & a wooden spoon. or a stand mixer with a dough hook if you have one. Oh and a casserole dish/dutch oven/whatever you call it!! Trust me.

Beyond that if you plan to make sourdough you’ll need a glass jar with a secure lid (like a mason jar) to make your starter.

Otherwise if you’re following a recipe that doesn’t specify a temperature it’s best practice just to whack the oven to 11. At least that’s what I’ve always been told 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you have the space, a good stand mixer will outlast the best hand mixer for kneading. Use your hands if you can or else just use no-knead methods.

Recommend you get mixing bowls with lids to save on cling film usage.

You could get into sourdough. That’ll keep you busy for a while.

• I’m hardly “cake boss” but I think this is good?

it’s red velvet cake with ermine frosting again, but this time, it didn’t break leaving the tin! Huzzah.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Quick q, @[Deleted User] u - isn't ermine frosting basically a sweetened, vanilla-flavoured bechamel sauce, only thicker?

• Yes, actually more or less. 🤣

So to make it you cook sugar, flour & milk until thick, cool it pretty much completely and beat whipped butter into it until it’s creamy and soft.

it’s almost identical to whipped cream. Not too sweet at all so it would really suit rich cakes, heavy on chocolate for example!

It was also the OG frosting paired with mahogany cake, what we now call Red Velvet. Which is good cos mahogany cake doesn’t have the same appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Recipe ? Starter baker with a January resolution to bake something different every month.

Post edited by 893bet on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm not much of a baker so I said I'd start off easy with some brown soda bread. I'll never buy brown bread again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Gluten free Lemon Cookies. A happy experiment that worked out pretty well

Steak bakes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

50/50 Wholemeal.

Working on Lemon Drizzle cakes. Seems if I make the glaze thicker it would “hold” on the top better. Currently 100 grs. Icing and juice of 1 lemon. Next time I’ll go more sugar maybe. I’ve found that cooling it down in the oven obviates the cake cracking and sinking…….I’ve had that before by taking it out too quickly. Greed 😀.

YT. John Kirkwood. Superb.

(don’t have a “dough” mixer either)

I use a bit of golden/corn syrup in my glazes and I find that holds better, looks great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ngunners

They are a Portuguese custard tart. Absolutely delicious but not easy to make perfectly. I tried to make some recently and they didn’t come out half as good as the ones shared here (if appearances are anything to go by).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

For a thicker lemon drizzle icing I would call it more than a glaze if that's what you want put metal bowl over boiling water in saucepan, add icing sugar and lemon juice, start with a little lemon juice not the lot, stir until smooth over the water, it will get a lot thinner than it would mixing cold so might need more icing sugar than usual. Once still pourable and warm pour quickly over cake and smooth, it will set fast and be much thicker than a cold icing.

I usually do a drizzle first with lemon juice and sugar, real thin watery stuff that soaks in, and then an icing with the icing sugar and lemon juice which stays in place and is opaque rather than thin.

Ah OK........thanks for that. Mine is watery stuff that soaks in then.

I'll do your icing next time then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

Focaccia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Now that looks like proper focaccia. Recipe to hand?

Surprisingly easy to make, especially if you have a sourdough starter on the go. You could of course replace the levian with instant or fresh yeast.

• 100g levian + 400g bread flour + 300g water + 15g olive oil + 7g salt
    • mix in bowl, I just use a spatula until its all well combined.
    • cover & rest in oiled bowl for 30 mins - stretch/fold - rest 30 mins - double fold - rest 30 mins - double fold - rest 30 mins
    • fridge for 48 hrs - bring to room temp - lots of olive oil in baking tin - dimple - proof until doubled in size - another glug of olive oil and a final dimple whilst adding toppings
    • bake at 220 for 25 mins

Toppings included a red pepper pesto which I added before final dimple. Pre roasted garlic cloves, fresh cherry tomatoes, some rosemary from the garden and a sprinkle of sea salt.

• just to add its quite a sticky dough at the beginning so I tend to rub a bit of olive oil into the hands before each of the folds.

Having tried and not been happy with a few no knead breads I changed it up!

Followed the below receipe! Very happy with the first try! Way better than expected! Next time I will have the pesto and sundried tomatoes in stock.

https://youtu.be/j9dJEqN017U?si=diPEpw8jqE9HukXD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Best no knead loaf yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I can imagine the sound of the knife cutting through that crust, it looks amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Made khachapuri last night, which is Georgian cheese and eggy bread. It was fab, although I overcooked the egg and it scrambled a bit. Have enough dough to make another one this evening and will hopefully correct that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Gluten free Lemon drizzle tray bake. I ate far too much of it. Delicious. No icing just soaked it when warm in lemon juice & sugar.

About 20% Wholemeal, splash of Flavahans 😀. Lightly seeded 😀. Did a couple last week, 50/50 Wholemeal, doesn’t rise as much and too crumbly……better off making 50/50 soda bread, which I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Does pizza count as baking? It's bread and cooked in an oven?

Homemade sauce and dough. Gubbeen chorizo and pepperoni and a splash of homemade hot honey. Very tasty.

• Advertisement

Mary Berry, all in one apple cake…..brillo. Not sweet, nice crunchy edge/crust.

My first loaf

First time to try “Frosting”…….worked out fine, set pretty hard’ish. Touch of food colouring.

Lemon Drizzle…..again 😀,

P. Hollywood scones, first time…..mehhhh……could’ve risen more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

Did you cut them high enough to start with? I think that is the biggest issue with scones not rising enough, they actually don't rise as much as expected, you must start high. I worked in catering for years back when it was student type job and teaching people to make scones the biggest issue was they rolled them out too much, put basically thick biscuits into the oven and expected miraculous uplift. I prefer to not even use a rolling pin as it's too easy go too thin, just pat and I cut an inch at least and sometimes higher, the most they will rise is half again.

They look like good scones although I'm not entirely convinced about using bread flour for scones as PH does in some recipes anyway.

Probably not…..he recommends 3cm. 11 scones. I had too much scraps left over so probably should’ve rolled higher all right.

Next time…..

Appreciate the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Chocolate muffins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

gee not had a choc muffin years - love a white muffin with choc chips - a good one - from a bakery.. not pre packed

I tried the Gordon Ramsay lemon curd pizza at the weekend, I used whipped cream instead of creme freche and it was fairly tasty.

I also did one with biscoff spread and marshmallow for the kids, the spread burnt to a crisp first time out so couldn't let the dough get a good char when I did another, this one was delicious.

Was awake early so knocked up some pancakes and a fruit soda bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

the fruit soda looks fab - my Dad use to ADORE that

A white sourdough with some poppy seeds in the crust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Look at the rise on that! Well done. 😋

• Strawberry cheesebaked!

I mean, strawberry cheesecake (baked!). Never made baked cheesecake before so this was definitely an experimental job that I think has worked out okay!!

Will post some plating snaps tomorrow once it’s chilled down and settled. 😎

Had a sneaky taste from the corner after it had cooled to room temp before transferring.. oh my 😭

• Roasted strawberry cheesecake, white chocolate & chocolate Tuile

• Guinness foam, mint choc brownie. ☘️ 🇮🇪

Chocolate & Espresso Sourdough

Few Jambons

• Advertisement

• Fresh cream Meringue Roulade, Strawberry Gel, Rose Scented Strawberry Marshmallow, Vanilla Anglaise

Advertisement