Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Muckit wrote: »
    Sure tis a hobby. A friend of mine spent that on a road bike. I'm serious. No word of a lie.

He takes it out every Sunday with a group of lads. But l can tell you, no matter how much he rides it he'll never get a calf out of it.

Makes that girl seem cheap.

Given the muscle on her not sure which way the calf would come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Muckit wrote: »
    Sure tis a hobby. A friend of mine spent that on a road bike. I'm serious. No word of a lie.

He takes it out every Sunday with a group of lads. But l can tell you, no matter how much he rides it he'll never get a calf out of it.

Makes that girl seem cheap.

Exactly, I gave over 2k for a Pb Fr heifer weanling this year and lads thought I was mad.... I’m currently doing up a vintage tractor and it’s going to cost the bones of 6k and nobody would think that’s mad and it’ll only be driven a handful times a year... one lad questioned my madness with the purchase one day... I said to him that car you’ve in the yard you bought new, the day you left the showroom it lost 4-5k in value and nobody thought you were mad.... he had no reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

I see a good few handy weanlings on the DoneDeal. Bucket reared Hrx heifers at 220kgs. At €350, is there money to be made from buying these? I’m after buying what I thought were ‘cheap’ yearlings for the last few years and I didn’t make a whole lot. A lad told me ‘how do you know what’s value nowadays’. Selling on the grid is a mind field and you could easily lose €50+ per head with the click of a mouse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I see a good few handy weanlings on the DoneDeal. Bucket reared Hrx heifers at 220kgs. At €350, is there money to be made from buying these? I’m after buying what I thought were ‘cheap’ yearlings for the last few years and I didn’t make a whole lot. A lad told me ‘how do you know what’s value nowadays’. Selling on the grid is a mind field and you could easily lose €50+ per head with the click of a mouse.

I agree with the man regarding what's value atm, there's certain types of cattle making what seems desperate bad money and yet there's no where to go with them in the current trade. The whole job is currently very sick imo and without trying to convey more negativity I can't see how it's going to improve much in the medium term.

As for the heifers unless there nice types and well done I'd leave them at that sort of money. Another €50-100 should buy suckler versions at that weight if the current trade continues. A middling suckler bred beast is comparable to a better type bucket fed animal in my experience. There not leaving the seller anything at that if they cost much in the spring time but there also not choice stock atm. I saw a middling 210kg HEx bull sold Saturday @ €320, the seller told me he cost €245 as a replacement suck calf in the spring and it took a month before the cow accepted him. The same man told me he housed the cow's on Friday and sent the stock bull to the factory, except there's a price miracle between now and next summer he's finished calving cows after this coming spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

AA/HE heifers were making €1.50/kg to €1.55/kg in Birr last Monday, they averaged €1.68/kg today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold a few tonight
    3 yellow charolais real nice calves 308kg 885
    2 yellow charolais a bit plainer 325kg 835
    1 red lim 325kg 800
    1 mousey charolais 340kg 800
    1 white charolais 375kg 855.
    Happy enough considering the current state of the cattle trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Sold a few tonight
    1 red lim 325kg 800

Weanling bulls ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Weanling bulls ?

Ya. April and May calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ya. April and May calves.

Great weights for age
    Well done

• Advertisement

Great weights for age
    Well done

Ya they did a great thrive this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Anyone know if exporters are active at the mo? Special dealing bull sale coming up in gortalea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Disappointed but expected. All off small cattle but they still have to be fed. I’d be better off keeping minimum stocking rate and not be fooling myself.

That Red limo Bull in photos in livestock thread —March 315kg- 700

Grand Black limo bull mid April- 260km €450
    Poor red limo bull mid April - 220kg- €495

Red limo heifer- end March- 230kg- €500
    Brown Swiss colored limo heifer- feb- 270kg- €535

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

Weanling bulls shocking sold 2 red limousines 385kg 700 a piece February calves.black limo bull 405kg Feb calf 775euro.should of took home but no room.waste of time sucklers!!

Disappointed but expected. All off small cattle but they still have to be fed. I’d be better off keeping minimum stocking rate and not be fooling myself.

The first wasn’t a bad price
    If you had a middling run I’d of brought the other bulls home, squeezed them and let off in the spring

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the stock first hand but apart from the 2 light bulls I'd say you got on alright given the current trade. That's little conciliation I know but the heavier bull and the 2 heifers made as much as I'd expect given the times we're in. Having said that it's small reward for a years work, be they small or big there's still lots of effort put into them.

I can't help but think you'd be better off with with a few nice AAx cows and a good AA bull. The resulting calves won't be overly special but at least lads into the AAx bonus might buy them and you'd have low maintenance stock for the winter along with easy calving. You want real good cows for a LM bull imo, hard to get power into the calves off handy cows and anything black or mousey colored is a bad seller straight away. The only black calf to have is an AAx in my experience, anything continental that's dark colored is usually €100-150 less than his fair coloured comrade's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Horrific prices in fairness. How is it possible to justify keeping a cow or bull that produces cattle worth less than €500.

The first wasn’t a bad price
    If you had a middling run I’d of brought the other bulls home, squeezed them and let off in the spring

I have a good shed set up. But I would have had to pay to bring them home again. and it would have driven my mother mental. so easier gone.

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the stock first hand but apart from the 2 light bulls I'd say you got on alright given the current trade. That's little conciliation I know but the heavier bull and the 2 heifers made as much as I'd expect given the times we're in. Having said that it's small reward for a years work, be they small or big there's still lots of effort put into them.

I can't help but think you'd be better off with with a few nice AAx cows and a good AA bull. The resulting calves won't be overly special but at least lads into the AAx bonus might buy them and you'd have low maintenance stock for the winter along with easy calving. You want real good cows for a LM bull imo, hard to get power into the calves off handy cows and anything black or mousey colored is a bad seller straight away. The only black calf to have is an AAx in my experience, anything continental that's dark colored is usually €100-150 less than his fair coloured comrade's.

The cattle looked grand. the person who bought the black bull will definitely make money on him. I looked through my books and find that my spring sales are about 300-350 more on the same style animal and weights. Ennis is hit an miss at the best of times. I totally agree on the colours. A friend suggested, white cows the limo bull but land is so bad and only getting wetter and to be honest, with the numbers, I break even at €500 but its a hard pill.

Locally AA is making nothing. everyone is getting out of them.

With workload increasing in my current job, I'm just going to run down herd over the next two years and maybe replace with a breed with niche interests. I have a neighbour who breeds pedigree shorthorn and a student who father has tried a variety of breeds and sold on Donedeal. certain breeds, she swears by like the highland cattle, small hardy, always has a buyer. but I wont jump in feet first, ill one first.

I emailed the irish moiled association for a bit of info today.

• Advertisement

The cattle looked grand. the person who bought the black bull will definitely make money on him. I looked through my books and find that my spring sales are about 300-350 more on the same style animal and weights. Ennis is hit an miss at the best of times. I totally agree on the colours. A friend suggested, white cows the limo bull but land is so bad and only getting wetter and to be honest, with the numbers, I break even at €500 but its a hard pill.

Locally AA is making nothing. everyone is getting out of them.

With workload increasing in my current job, I'm just going to run down herd over the next two years and maybe replace with a breed with niche interests. I have a neighbour who breeds pedigree shorthorn and a student who father has tried a variety of breeds and sold on Donedeal. certain breeds, she swears by like the highland cattle, small hardy, always has a buyer. but I wont jump in feet first, ill one first.

I emailed the irish moiled association for a bit of info today.

Given the small bit I know about your family and off farm situation I'd definitely recommend scaling the farming back a bit in the short to medium term. No point burning yourself out trying to keep all sides going for little reward, the land will still be there in a few years and hopefully you'll be better equipped to put your own mark on it.

If neither you or anyone else was dependent on the farm for income then I'd advise cutting the stocking rate to near the bare minimum (50% dry cattle and 50% donkey's perhaps), fence the boundaries and internal drains and basically let them do there own thing. Sell off the best of them whenever the price is right and draw whatever sub is available, low input and low output is the name of the game. Failing this I think the niche market coupled with perhaps entering organic farming would be the next best bet. Thankfully I've realised lately there's more to life than self induced drudgery so look after yourself and those around you and enjoy the land for whatever length it's​ your domain.

Given the small bit I know about your family and off farm situation I'd definitely recommend scaling the farming back a bit in the short to medium term. No point burning yourself out trying to keep all sides going for little reward, the land will still be there in a few years and hopefully you'll be better equipped to put your own mark on it.

If neither you or anyone else was dependent on the farm for income then I'd advise cutting the stocking rate to near the bare minimum (50% dry cattle and 50% donkey's perhaps), fence the boundaries and internal drains and basically let them do there own thing. Sell off the best of them whenever the price is right and draw whatever sub is available, low input and low output is the name of the game. Failing this I think the niche market coupled with perhaps entering organic farming would be the next best bet. Thankfully I've realised lately there's more to life than self induced drudgery so look after yourself and those around you and enjoy the land for whatever length it's​ your domain.

Thanks for the advice. I've a bit to do fencing etc. My minimum stocking rate is about 4.5 so 6/7 allows for exactly what you are saying. I have an heifer that I will share with my brother in the spring for the freezer. and see how that goes. I've no interest in donkeys.

With Glas, ANC and BPS, there as about 16k in payments. That easily keeps mams house running with a few quid for other things.

The cattle sales normally pay for one item a year after the bills but probably not this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Sold a few tonight
    1 red lim 325kg 800
    That mouses lad was every bit the bull the yellow ones were but the buyers are willing to pay a premium for the colour.

I would never bid on a charolais for that very reason

Sold couple last night. April born. Plain bull weighted 265kg made 590. And good shaped bull weighted 335kg made 770. Orange Lms off ch cows

Normally hold on to them for 10 months to a year. But no room this year. Have heifers to go but thinking I will try hold on to them. Well weighing up options anyways ha

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Sold couple last night. April born. Plain bull weighted 265kg made 590. And good shaped bull weighted 335kg made 770. Orange Lms off ch cows

Normally hold on to them for 10 months to a year. But no room this year. Have heifers to go but thinking I will try hold on to them. Well weighing up options anyways ha

Jaysus prices are tough. Where was that?

Jaysus prices are tough. Where was that?

Gortalea. Heavy lads 450kg + didn't make €2/kg

Some nice stock around 330kg made €2.5/kg

Felt dirty on way home after prices you'd be used to

• Advertisement

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Gortalea. Heavy lads 450kg + didn't make €2/kg

Some nice stock around 330kg made €2.5/kg

Felt dirty on way home after prices you'd be used to

That’s exactly the description- dirty. You’d wonder the direction things will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That’s exactly the description- dirty. You’d wonder the direction things will go.

A 400 kg bullock DW killing R+ us netting 1475 euro approximately. He be 740 LW. Throw in 200 euro for ration if killing at 24 months. Not much light at the end of the tunnel there

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

A 400 kg bullock DW killing R+ us netting 1475 euro approximately. He be 740 LW. Throw in 200 euro for ration if killing at 24 months. Not much light at the end of the tunnel there

Spot on with figures Bass.
    The replacement for him assuming he bought now would prob want to be 450 kg approx and bought at €900 if things the same next year to leave a small margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That mouses lad was every bit the bull the yellow ones were but the buyers are willing to pay a premium for the colour.

I would never bid on a charolais for that very
    reason

I was in the company of a Cattle Buyer for feedlots in Belgium around 10 years ago,at time he was buying e and u grade weanlings in NW of Ireland for export and finishing in Belgium.I would have had good quality Charolais weanlings off SH and Chx cows which he saw on land.I remember I had around 3 cows with AA blood or Black LM cross in them.
    Their calves were ‘mousey’’ in colour but were nice calves as well.
    He said at time that he would buy any of my bull weanlings apart from the mousey ones.I asked him why they were disliked...... and he said that when killed they have a higher fat % than ‘goldie’ cattle and in general don’t perform as well as regards weight gain in feedlot as compared to ‘goldie’ continental calves.

I thought this was v interesting at the time as this fella knew his stuff and was dealing in large numbers of cattle every week.

Is there much of a demand for incalf sucklers heifers at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Ya seen gr8 quality in calfs with doubts about milk making 2k plus in elphin. Makes no sense

adne wrote: »
    Ya seen gr8 quality in calfs with doubts about milk making 2k plus in elphin. Makes no sense

It really is bonkers when you see great quality weanlings just about making €800.

Have a good few cows that didn’t go incalf this year and I’m looking for replacements- I think 1400 - 1500 would be a good price this year but like that good quality ones would probably be going up to €2000.

Economically, it probably isn’t even worth purchasing replacements :(

It depends on the quality of the heifers and how near they are to calving. The flashy, fleshy U grade types will be €1600 and upwards (the sky is the limit after that, look at Martin O'Connor's sale for example) but you should buy a nice natural type heifer for circa €1300-1500 that will be calving before Christmas. I'd try to avoid special sale's from noted seller's as there usually akin to a circus and have no correlation to the actual cattle trade atm.

I attended the special springer sale in Dowra last night and I thought the trade ranged from good to off the scale dear. The clearance sale of cows and calves at the start was a total rob imo, average type outfits coming off a great place making serious money given the current trade. An average quality handy sized 12 born Shx cow with a middling LMx bull calf maybe 280kg and the cow scanned 4-5 months back to the same bull made €1910. I thought her €400 too dear at least, the calf is worth perhaps €600 and the cow €900 makes €1500 by my maths, total lunacy imo. That was only one example and everyone of them was sold.

It really is bonkers when you see great quality weanlings just about making €800.

Have a good few cows that didn’t go incalf this year and I’m looking for replacements- I think 1400 - 1500 would be a good price this year but like that good quality ones would probably be going up to €2000.

Economically, it probably isn’t even worth purchasing replacements :(
    Just when you say that
    Chatting a suckler farmer with SI bull, this year his calves are 14 heifers and 1 bull
    He sells the heifers incalf for €1800-2200
    A neighbour called and has prebooked 9 of this year’s weanlings with deposit paid

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Was in Kilkenny mart today. Good chx bulloks 450kg+ were just making €2 to 2.05/kg. Not as good limos struggling to get anyway near €2/kg

Lighter bullocks around 350kgs around €2.50/kg

Just back from Ballinakill. Prices all over the place. It’s hard to judge the price of the next one when you see what the last one made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

See Matt Dempsey in IFJ tonight said sales of beef in the UK over the Summer were down 13%.
    That's worrying.

Appears too China only allows under 30 month beef.

Stupid question. Would a lad be better buy nice Lm bulls at 350kg for €700 to €800 or bucket reared Hrx heifers at half that money. Going to keep until either until slaughter.

Stupid question. Would a lad be better buy nice Lm bulls at 350kg for €700 to €800 or bucket reared Hrx heifers at half that money. Going to keep until either until slaughter.

It would depend on what you were doing. If carrying to finish the maths on both might be the same. However I expect that you can but goo Hex bulls for half the price I be going that way

Slava Ukrainii

It would depend on what you were doing. If carrying to finish the maths on both might be the same. However I expect that you can but goo Hex bulls for half the price I be going that way

I meant Hrx heifers. Plenty out there at handy money

• Advertisement

I meant Hrx heifers. Plenty out there at handy money

I opt for bulls as you have an animal that will grow faster.

Can you get the LM bullock to slaughter at 350DW next autumn. At present prices he would make 1300 euro. It will not pay to winter finish and he be too heave in summer 2021.

A HE heifer will struggle to kill 250 Christmas 12 months at present prices she would net 930.

Slava Ukrainii

However value in stores is better. You will buy good 450kg LM store bullocks for 1.8/kg. TheY would kill 360-370 kgs in late August at present prices they net 1350 euro. However you would have a better chance of getting a higher price in early August than in November/December

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

However value in stores is better. You will buy good 450kg LM store bullocks for 1.8/kg. TheY would kill 360-370 kgs in late August at present prices they net 1350 euro. However you would have a better chance of getting a higher price in early August than in November/December

Hard to buy a good limo up this country at that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hard to buy a good limo up this country at that money

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

you wont buy them in macroom today for 180 akg anything nice are making 2 and over .

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

Sold a few weanling bulls today
    Ch 387kg 950. Feb
    Ch 449kg 1055. Jan
    Ch 360kg 835. Feb
    Ch 375kg 900. Mar
    Ch 343kg 805. Mar
    Ch 344kg 865. Mar
    BB 350kg 800. Feb

A few € down on last year but happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bought a few weanling bulls Sat in Macroom. Ch bull on Ch cows, organic stock.
    Ch 4 x 388kg €870
    Ch 4 x 318kg €855

Might not have gone that far on the lighter ones, but comrades of the other lot.
    Probably competing with exporters for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Had a quick look at weanlings in Bsloe Sat.

Bulls seem to be doing better than heifers. Good middle of the road cont heifers doing the €2/kg. Tops around €2.40. Place was empty. No bother get a spot around the ring. I left as l came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Just sold last of the bulls tonight. Bit better than a month ago. All gone now at 930 average 90 back on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Tonight's ones

Advertisement