Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

morphy87 wrote: »
    What kind of money are Charlois bullocks making,say 450 to 470 kgs April to May 18? And is there many of these type of cattle in the Mart’s?

€2 a kg for good quality last week in Carnew. Work back from that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Was it adult trade there yesterday? Time it start?

Bejaysus. What are you buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

anything i can get my dirty mits on at the mo!! i spotted a thread on here where a lady looking to have a relationship with a farmer..... haven't sent the message yet!!!

no, have a couple of everything to move off to make space what whats staying and weighing up what best for me, nip out on me lunch break for a quickie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Sold 15 LMx & CHx Spring 18 heifers yesterday in Castleisland,
    avg weight 457kgs avg price 893 euro so 1.95 p/kg
    given the trade that was there was happy enough for the year that's in it

Was in kilkenny today and I saw simular prices that you got Dozer1. I saw fellas selling bullocks of the same age and no movements on the board. Some of the bullocks came into 1,000 euro. I was thinking to myself obvious you bred them and kept them over the 1st winter and a second season at grass. So here's what I was thinking,
    Did it pay the farmer to keep his calves that length given that their mother's cost 700 to 800 to keep?
    My second question are their brothers and sisters (2019 calves) still at home and if they are are these farmers making a living at all?

I'm not condemning you or the farmers I saw today but there huge questions about their enterprise. I know no one is making money at beef atm but keeping two crops of calves and the cow on the farm is really stretching it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

In Dungarvan Monday Oct 14. All Friesians

8 540kg €750 No sale
    1 600kg 795 Plain
    1 490 kg 725
    5 565 kg 810 No sale
    4 452 kg 620
    8 426 kg 550 Plain
    3 491kg 730
    3 478kg 725
    2 477 kg 725
    6 465 kg 700
    6 445 kg 660
    6 517 kg 735
    8 548kg 775

Most born Spring 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Good loser wrote: »
    In Dungarvan Monday Oct 14. All Friesians

8 540kg €750 No sale
    1 600kg 795 Plain
    1 490 kg 725
    5 565 kg 810 No sale
    4 452 kg 620
    8 426 kg 550 Plain
    3 491kg 730
    3 478kg 725
    2 477 kg 725
    6 465 kg 700
    6 445 kg 660
    6 517 kg 735
    8 548kg 775

Most born Spring 2018.

Wow was the boat not the place for them in 2018,
    Neighbour got 10 lmx and char bulls not the very tops, but the second grade all u potentially, 312 kg @ 650 out of carnew Wednesday night delivered up to him on the mart docket and paid 20 a head for purchase and delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi patsy, is she a limxshorthorn? Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi patsy, is she a limxshorthorn? Tks

To me, that looks like BB breeding bringing that colour. Crazy money. Is there that much money in showing?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

To me, that looks like BB breeding bringing that colour. Crazy money. Is there that much money in showing?

Sure tis a hobby. A friend of mine spent that on a road bike. I'm serious. No word of a lie.

He takes it out every Sunday with a group of lads. But l can tell you, no matter how much he rides it he'll never get a calf out of it.

Makes that girl seem cheap.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Sure tis a hobby. A friend of mine spent that on a road bike. I'm serious. No word of a lie.

He takes it out every Sunday with a group of lads. But l can tell you, no matter how much he rides it he'll never get a calf out of it.

Given the muscle on her not sure which way the calf would come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Muckit wrote: »

Exactly, I gave over 2k for a Pb Fr heifer weanling this year and lads thought I was mad.... I’m currently doing up a vintage tractor and it’s going to cost the bones of 6k and nobody would think that’s mad and it’ll only be driven a handful times a year... one lad questioned my madness with the purchase one day... I said to him that car you’ve in the yard you bought new, the day you left the showroom it lost 4-5k in value and nobody thought you were mad.... he had no reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

I see a good few handy weanlings on the DoneDeal. Bucket reared Hrx heifers at 220kgs. At €350, is there money to be made from buying these? I’m after buying what I thought were ‘cheap’ yearlings for the last few years and I didn’t make a whole lot. A lad told me ‘how do you know what’s value nowadays’. Selling on the grid is a mind field and you could easily lose €50+ per head with the click of a mouse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I see a good few handy weanlings on the DoneDeal. Bucket reared Hrx heifers at 220kgs. At €350, is there money to be made from buying these? I’m after buying what I thought were ‘cheap’ yearlings for the last few years and I didn’t make a whole lot. A lad told me ‘how do you know what’s value nowadays’. Selling on the grid is a mind field and you could easily lose €50+ per head with the click of a mouse.

I agree with the man regarding what's value atm, there's certain types of cattle making what seems desperate bad money and yet there's no where to go with them in the current trade. The whole job is currently very sick imo and without trying to convey more negativity I can't see how it's going to improve much in the medium term.

As for the heifers unless there nice types and well done I'd leave them at that sort of money. Another €50-100 should buy suckler versions at that weight if the current trade continues. A middling suckler bred beast is comparable to a better type bucket fed animal in my experience. There not leaving the seller anything at that if they cost much in the spring time but there also not choice stock atm. I saw a middling 210kg HEx bull sold Saturday @ €320, the seller told me he cost €245 as a replacement suck calf in the spring and it took a month before the cow accepted him. The same man told me he housed the cow's on Friday and sent the stock bull to the factory, except there's a price miracle between now and next summer he's finished calving cows after this coming spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

AA/HE heifers were making €1.50/kg to €1.55/kg in Birr last Monday, they averaged €1.68/kg today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold a few tonight
    3 yellow charolais real nice calves 308kg 885
    2 yellow charolais a bit plainer 325kg 835
    1 red lim 325kg 800
    1 mousey charolais 340kg 800
    1 white charolais 375kg 855.
    Happy enough considering the current state of the cattle trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Sold a few tonight
    3 yellow charolais real nice calves 308kg 885
    2 yellow charolais a bit plainer 325kg 835
    1 red lim 325kg 800
    1 mousey charolais 340kg 800
    1 white charolais 375kg 855.
    Happy enough considering the current state of the cattle trade.

Weanling bulls ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Weanling bulls ?

Ya. April and May calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ya. April and May calves.

Great weights for age
    Well done

• Advertisement

Great weights for age
    Well done

Ya they did a great thrive this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Anyone know if exporters are active at the mo? Special dealing bull sale coming up in gortalea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Disappointed but expected. All off small cattle but they still have to be fed. I’d be better off keeping minimum stocking rate and not be fooling myself.

That Red limo Bull in photos in livestock thread —March 315kg- 700

Grand Black limo bull mid April- 260km €450
    Poor red limo bull mid April - 220kg- €495

Red limo heifer- end March- 230kg- €500
    Brown Swiss colored limo heifer- feb- 270kg- €535

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Weanling bulls shocking sold 2 red limousines 385kg 700 a piece February calves.black limo bull 405kg Feb calf 775euro.should of took home but no room.waste of time sucklers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Disappointed but expected. All off small cattle but they still have to be fed. I’d be better off keeping minimum stocking rate and not be fooling myself.

The first wasn’t a bad price
    If you had a middling run I’d of brought the other bulls home, squeezed them and let off in the spring

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the stock first hand but apart from the 2 light bulls I'd say you got on alright given the current trade. That's little conciliation I know but the heavier bull and the 2 heifers made as much as I'd expect given the times we're in. Having said that it's small reward for a years work, be they small or big there's still lots of effort put into them.

I can't help but think you'd be better off with with a few nice AAx cows and a good AA bull. The resulting calves won't be overly special but at least lads into the AAx bonus might buy them and you'd have low maintenance stock for the winter along with easy calving. You want real good cows for a LM bull imo, hard to get power into the calves off handy cows and anything black or mousey colored is a bad seller straight away. The only black calf to have is an AAx in my experience, anything continental that's dark colored is usually €100-150 less than his fair coloured comrade's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Horrific prices in fairness. How is it possible to justify keeping a cow or bull that produces cattle worth less than €500.

The first wasn’t a bad price
    If you had a middling run I’d of brought the other bulls home, squeezed them and let off in the spring

I have a good shed set up. But I would have had to pay to bring them home again. and it would have driven my mother mental. so easier gone.

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the stock first hand but apart from the 2 light bulls I'd say you got on alright given the current trade. That's little conciliation I know but the heavier bull and the 2 heifers made as much as I'd expect given the times we're in. Having said that it's small reward for a years work, be they small or big there's still lots of effort put into them.

I can't help but think you'd be better off with with a few nice AAx cows and a good AA bull. The resulting calves won't be overly special but at least lads into the AAx bonus might buy them and you'd have low maintenance stock for the winter along with easy calving. You want real good cows for a LM bull imo, hard to get power into the calves off handy cows and anything black or mousey colored is a bad seller straight away. The only black calf to have is an AAx in my experience, anything continental that's dark colored is usually €100-150 less than his fair coloured comrade's.

The cattle looked grand. the person who bought the black bull will definitely make money on him. I looked through my books and find that my spring sales are about 300-350 more on the same style animal and weights. Ennis is hit an miss at the best of times. I totally agree on the colours. A friend suggested, white cows the limo bull but land is so bad and only getting wetter and to be honest, with the numbers, I break even at €500 but its a hard pill.

Locally AA is making nothing. everyone is getting out of them.

With workload increasing in my current job, I'm just going to run down herd over the next two years and maybe replace with a breed with niche interests. I have a neighbour who breeds pedigree shorthorn and a student who father has tried a variety of breeds and sold on Donedeal. certain breeds, she swears by like the highland cattle, small hardy, always has a buyer. but I wont jump in feet first, ill one first.

I emailed the irish moiled association for a bit of info today.

• Advertisement

The cattle looked grand. the person who bought the black bull will definitely make money on him. I looked through my books and find that my spring sales are about 300-350 more on the same style animal and weights. Ennis is hit an miss at the best of times. I totally agree on the colours. A friend suggested, white cows the limo bull but land is so bad and only getting wetter and to be honest, with the numbers, I break even at €500 but its a hard pill.

Locally AA is making nothing. everyone is getting out of them.

With workload increasing in my current job, I'm just going to run down herd over the next two years and maybe replace with a breed with niche interests. I have a neighbour who breeds pedigree shorthorn and a student who father has tried a variety of breeds and sold on Donedeal. certain breeds, she swears by like the highland cattle, small hardy, always has a buyer. but I wont jump in feet first, ill one first.

I emailed the irish moiled association for a bit of info today.

Given the small bit I know about your family and off farm situation I'd definitely recommend scaling the farming back a bit in the short to medium term. No point burning yourself out trying to keep all sides going for little reward, the land will still be there in a few years and hopefully you'll be better equipped to put your own mark on it.

If neither you or anyone else was dependent on the farm for income then I'd advise cutting the stocking rate to near the bare minimum (50% dry cattle and 50% donkey's perhaps), fence the boundaries and internal drains and basically let them do there own thing. Sell off the best of them whenever the price is right and draw whatever sub is available, low input and low output is the name of the game. Failing this I think the niche market coupled with perhaps entering organic farming would be the next best bet. Thankfully I've realised lately there's more to life than self induced drudgery so look after yourself and those around you and enjoy the land for whatever length it's​ your domain.

Advertisement