Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

job seeker wrote: »
    That I’m not sure. The brother might have more information when he gets home. However my brother wasn’t told anything in regards to change of ownership etc the day he collected it.. he was given a couple of receipts for tyres, 2 nct certs and an Irish log book. There is an Irish tax and insurance disks from 2016 too. I thought it was abit odd as well..

To me it looks like the crowd that done the raffle just had it, bought it or whatever. Didn’t test it or anything. My guess would be, that whoever owned it up the north before the raffle just trailered it to shows etc. as there is no evidence of it being registered up the north.. but that’s just speculation.. Or it might have been just been in storage, as it’s very clean for 1987..

Why doesn't he send off the logbook or VLC himself with his details on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why doesn't he send off the logbook or VLC himself with his details on it?

He is. He just needed to get the current owners signature. I myself never realised that it wasn’t in my brothers name until today.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why are you meeting that guy when you have the log book? Just fill it out and send it off.

Tbh he should have been in contact with the raffle crowd and not your brother as he must have sold it to them and how did he get in contact with your brother.

He just needed the chaps signature.

I see, he got in contact over Facebook. He lives locally to us..

job seeker wrote: »
    He just needed the chaps signature.

I see, he got in contact over Facebook. He lives locally to us..

I thought the signature was on it ....... As in Write it on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone see the Honda Integra Type Rx in black that was for sale the past 3 day well seems it sold today. Strong money at €13950 and smokey at high RPM's so the ad said but it was pretty mint besides there was underbody shots as well and really clean underneath no rust well for a 2000 reg car just a small bit on a few bolts. 140,000kms Ad said price is firm so I don't know how much got knocked off price at sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Just seen my Dad has new wipers he bought in a manufacture. Hey we was the brand can’t say I have ever heard of them. Anyone ever use them before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Anyone see the Honda Integra Type Rx in black that was for sale the past 3 day well seems it sold today. Strong money at €13950 and smokey at high RPM's so the ad said but it was pretty mint besides there was underbody shots as well and really clean underneath no rust well for a 2000 reg car just a small bit on a few bolts. 140,000kms Ad said price is firm so I don't know how much got knocked off price at sale.

There'd be little if anything at all off the price.

Certain Honda's are making serious money, a dc2 typeRx being one of them.

There'd be little if anything at all off the price.

Certain Honda's are making serious money, a dc2 typeRx being one of them.

It was a nice car but the smokey at high RPM's is a bit of a choker. Anyone know what would cause that, valve stem seals?

CIP4 wrote: »
    Just seen my Dad has new wipers he bought in a manufacture. Hey we was the brand can’t say I have ever heard of them. Anyone ever use them before ?

Chinese ditch finders ;-).... No I've never heard of hey we

Valeo were brilliant, Bosch seem to be the biggest now in moforfactors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It was a nice car but the smokey at high RPM's is a bit of a choker. Anyone know what would cause that, valve stem seals?

Depends a bit of smoke isn't awful really valve stem seals or the rings would be the main culprits.

The Galaxy failed the NCT on a few bits, all of which were fixed up, and it's due into it's NCT at 8:30 this morning. Yer man suggested i get wheel tracking done, but i didnt get the chance. I reckon I should be okay though as it's not pulling to one side or anything.

So I was up late/early (depending how you look at it) and I decided to take the car for a spin, get it washed and such. Naturally, as you'd expect when things start going well for me, I went over a speed ramp and the exhaust fell off. Nice clean snap, and the backbox was just dragging along. :rolleyes:

Wondering is there any point in me even going near the NCT centre now, at this point?

EDIT: For what it's worth, I do see the funny side to my car woes. Just more interested in getting it through the NCT. It passed on emissions last time, so not sure the lack of an exhaust (just saying it sounds so ridiculous) might make them fail it, or will they let it go through, seen as it's due an NCT again in 6 months anyway.

Some good news at long last. 6 months on the windscreen before I've to go near the nct again.

Some good news at long last. 6 months on the windscreen before I've to go near the nct again.

Genuinely delighted to read that :) :cool:

Augeo wrote: »
    Genuinely delighted to read that :) :cool:

Ah thanks! :D

The sense of relief when he said it passed was great. Still a few bits that need doing (adding exhaust to the list now) but hopefully i can pass it again in 3 months and have a year (+ 3 months?) in the window and by the time that rolls around the car will probably be dead. haha.

I checked the fail and pass sheets, between the 2nd and 31st, the car has done just over 9000 km. And despite all the hassle, it hasn't actually given any problems when it's been out and about. Once it's going, it seems to be having a whale of a time. :)

What? They actually passed the car with the exhaust back box off?

• Advertisement

Also when you say the exhaust fell off was it a snap in the metal pipe of just one of the rubber hangers snapped. The later happened me twice as my exhaust is pretty heavy compared to a stock one so I have a rubber hanger plus metal wire to hold it in place and hasn't snapped since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've only two questions. How and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I've only two questions. How and why?

Gowlacting, for the guaranteed chance that the likes of joe.ie would pick up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Backtax probably.

My DC2 probably hit double figures for owners before it came off the road.

• Advertisement

What? They actually passed the car with the exhaust back box off?

Pretty much, yeah. It passed on emissions and all that aspect of the test the first time around. It was just in for some dodgy suspension parts this time. I said it to the tester before he started the test. He said they're not allowed check stuff it already passed on, so it didn't really matter.

Also when you say the exhaust fell off was it a snap in the metal pipe of just one of the rubber hangers snapped. The later happened me twice as my exhaust is pretty heavy compared to a stock one so I have a rubber hanger plus metal wire to hold it in place and hasn't snapped since.

No, unfortunately it was the exhaust itself. The rubber hangers are in great nick!

Here's a pic of it:

https://i.postimg.cc/Nj0LzBF9/exhau.jpg

It looks like a fairly clean snap (I know the side it snapped on isn't visible in the pic). So I'm not sure if it's a weld job, or a replacement altogether. I've never actually had any exhaust issues before so not sure even how much it'll cost me to get it right. :rolleyes:

Lead to believe they can be relatively inexpensive though (googling around makes me think you can get away with less than €200 fixing up an exhaust?)

How is it lying flat? Where is the exhaust exit pipe? Or did that break as well.

Oh right I see now after re-reading your post the side it snapped is on other side. A exhaust place could weld the backbox back on so bring it with you. Should cost way less than 200. 100 is a bit dear as well. 70 seems like a fair price. They would only be at it about 15-20 mins so labour cost only.

Oh right I see now after re-reading your post the side it snapped is on other side. A exhaust place could weld the backbox back on so bring it with you. Should cost way less than 200. 100 is a bit dear as well. 70 seems like a fair price. They would only be at it about 15-20 mins so labour cost only.

Yeah, that's the exit pipe that's facing upwards in the picture. The other side is a pretty clean snap. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow.

I'll be honest, I'm actually struggling (more than I expected I would) to find somewhere to bring the feckin' thing. I know i often see exhausts thrown in with tyre centres around dublin and such, but in Drogheda I'm struggling a little.

Trying to avoid 'upsell' places like FastFit or Advanced Pitstop or the likes, who will want to sell me a whole new exhaust system, brake pads and a set of alloys. Can't seem to find many small indy places, though.

Yeah, that's the exit pipe that's facing upwards in the picture. The other side is a pretty clean snap. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow.

I'll be honest, I'm actually struggling (more than I expected I would) to find somewhere to bring the feckin' thing. I know i often see exhausts thrown in with tyre centres around dublin and such, but in Drogheda I'm struggling a little.

Trying to avoid 'upsell' places like FastFit or Advanced Pitstop or the likes, who will want to sell me a whole new exhaust system, brake pads and a set of alloys. Can't seem to find many small indy places, though.

Souhans exhaust place. I think that's the name of them. Near you but closer to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Drove home from Dublin to Cork today taking myself very leisurely. I managed to coax the car to 7L/100 on a trip to Tralee last year so I was surprised that I got such a good return here averaging about 90kph and with a full tank. Daily average is closer to 11L/100

Bonus point for the make/model

If I sell my car I obviously need to let my insurance company know I no longer have it but say if I am a week without a car will the leave the policy in place and put it on the new car once I get i ? Or because I don’t have a car to transfer it onto will the cancel the policy straight away and make me take out a new one in a weeks time ? I am with AXA if it makes a difference.

pah wrote: »
    Bonus point for the make/model

Bit of a guess but Lexus IS250 ?

If I sell my car I obviously need to let my insurance company know I no longer have it but say if I am a week without a car will the leave the policy in place and put it on the new car once I get i ? Or because I don’t have a car to transfer it onto will the cancel the policy straight away and make me take out a new one in a weeks time ? I am with AXA if it makes a difference.

Most will allow a hold. Can't be the only person that's ever sold their car, happens a lot

Most will allow a hold. Can't be the only person that's ever sold their car, happens a lot

Yes I wasn’t sure as the last 4-5 cars I just traded so was a straight switchover from old car to the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Sold?

Sold?

Not sure if anything is ever really sold until it’s gone and you have the money. But have agreed a price with a dealer pending inspection early next week. But the car is in good condition so I would expect they will take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just tell your insurance company that you have sold your car and want to put the policy on hold as you haven't got a new one yet. They will do this for a limited period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Not sure if anything is ever really sold until it’s gone and you have the money. But have agreed a price with a dealer pending inspection early next week. But the car is in good condition so I would expect they will take it.

Seeing more and more of this lately, dealers buying cars privately. It's obviously good for the seller as it's a hassle free sale without having to deal with the donedeal brigade. I saw your ad, it's a really nice car so not surprised a dealer is buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I hope you got a better offer than the low ball offer I got from a Dublin dealer recently lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Seeing more and more of this lately, dealers buying cars privately. It's obviously good for the seller as it's a hassle free sale without having to deal with the donedeal brigade. I saw your ad, it's a really nice car so not surprised a dealer is buying it.

I sold my Golf GTD to a dealer in Cork a few weeks ago, it was definitely the most hassle free sale I have ever had. It was just good to have someone who knows about cars come and take it at the price agreed.

Also in saying that, I had my Audi A6 for sale and a garage in Dublin were on to me every few days with low-ball offers and eventually started to request that I swap for cars they have for sale (A6 for sale for €13k, they wanted me to swap for their Superb for €9k). I had to block their number - and also decided to keep the A6.

hooch-85 wrote: »

Yes definitely is more common alright now. Makes sense easy sale for me and still margin in it for the dealer who I would assume needs more stock and doesn't have enough cars too sell.
    tossy wrote: »
    I hope you got a better offer than the low ball offer I got from a Dublin dealer recently lol.

Yes what they have offered is fair enough so once they give me that for it I will be happy enough. Probably could get a little more for it if I held out for the right private buyer. Its a funny scenario for me as its years since I ever tried to sell a car privately and normally when you sell a car you really want it to sell whereas with the Golf I am a bit indifferent to the hold thing if it sells great if it doesn't I would of just ended up keeping it. I certainly wasn't going to stay dropping the price just for the sake of getting rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's time to make some jam :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Did they atleast throw in a free sticker after that price total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Bit of a guess but Lexus IS250 ?

Spot on.

It's time to make some jam :pac:

Is that for that big engined car you bought recently? I can't for the life of me remember what brand the car was. Lexus springs to mind but not fully sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LS460 I think!

Is that for that big engined car you bought recently? I can't for the life of me remember what brand the car was. Lexus springs to mind but not fully sure.

LS460, but no, it's for my R34 :D

I'd supercharge the LS if I ever got the notion to mess with it :o

Anyone any ideas for a 2.0 tfsi vRS as I want to do some mods and keep her.... She is having a slight misfire seems to be cylinder 3 and think it a wiring issue in loom at plug in point at plugs.

Off the road a year now, all new tyres fitted just before, want to get it going but was also thinking slightly lower and want to do a few bits to make it sweet

Anyone any ideas for a 2.0 tfsi vRS as I want to do some mods and keep her.... She is having a slight misfire seems to be cylinder 3 and think it a wiring issue in loom at plug in point at plugs.

Off the road a year now, all new tyres fitted just before, want to get it going but was also thinking slightly lower and want to do a few bits to make it sweet
    They're common for coil packs. Upgrade to R8 ones. Or just contact Daltons

• Advertisement

They're common for coil packs. Upgrade to R8 ones. Or just contact Daltons

Excuse my ignorance, Dalton's for which.....

Excuse my ignorance, Dalton's for which.....

Upgrading coils, and also some lows if you need it. He does a lot of Revo stuff too.

Upgrading coils, and also some lows if you need it. He does a lot of Revo stuff too.

Where is he based?
    It's all stuff on the to do list but it's a shame she is sitting in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Anyone know what “remote controlled Toyota easy flat system” is? Referenced as a standard feature in a good few models but doesn’t say what it is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Folding rear seats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement