Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

User1998 wrote: »
    VRT appointments have been open for the past month or so. You have to call them and book an appointment. I have one this week

In Dublin ? Why cant you just book them online ? I seem to be able to book Galway online - but none of the Dublin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

RobAMerc wrote: »
    In Dublin ? Why cant you just book them online ? I seem to be able to book Galway online - but none of the Dublin ones

I tried to book a test for south dublin, they offered a booking 9 week's away! I kept looking on the site hoping for a cancellation, got one last monday for deansgrange thursday morning , good result. You have to keep checking on the site you are interested in. They used to list cancellation's @ around 9pm , I think now they put them up as soon as they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

KB22 wrote: »
    I tried to book a test for south dublin, they offered a booking 9 week's away! I kept looking on the site hoping for a cancellation, got one last monday for deansgrange thursday morning , good result. You have to keep checking on the site you are interested in. They used to list cancellation's @ around 9pm , I think now they put them up as soon as they become available.

thanks but I am booking a VRT not an NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

RobAMerc wrote: »

Not sure but the only time I’ve been able to use the online booking system was when it was very quiet around January after the Nox charge was introduced, I’ve had to call them every other time

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

I have my NCT booked for tomorrow 29th July. Car is 2012. My extended covid test expires 27th October. Will I still get two years on my next one? I just got it from a garage and they are covering it so wanted to get it out of the way early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Borgo wrote: »
    I have my NCT booked for tomorrow 29th July. Car is 2012. My extended covid test expires 27th October. Will I still get two years on my next one? I just got it from a garage and they are covering it so wanted to get it out of the way early.

Edit: It actually says nct expiry 26th October.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Borgo wrote: »
    I think you're just within the 90 day window there so your new disc should have an expiry date of 26th October 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just wondering regarding ID required for NCT test, on the RSA Site it's saying Driving licence or Public Service card, I have both but no mention of Passport, just seems odd public service card that has very little information on it Trumps a valid passport.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just wondering regarding ID required for NCT test, on the RSA Site it's saying Driving licence or Public Service card, I have both but no mention of Passport, just seems odd public service card that has very little information on it Trumps a valid passport.

The id number has to be recorded and for that very reason the data protection commission would not allow storage of passport data .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Passport is not valid for NCT.
    This is simply because the ID details are stored, and your passport details are not allowed to be stored by NCT (data protection).

Horse's mouth

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Passport is not valid for NCT.
    This is simply because the ID details are stored, and your passport details are not allowed to be stored by NCT (data protection).

Horse's mouth

That explains it, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I have just been for my NCT and I am mighty confused and unhappy.

My NCT was due back in Feb. I had it tested in Jan early. I failed, cant remember the issue. But it related to the undebody of the car. Got it fixed, but by the time by re test came around the lifts where out of action. Then RONA hit.

I was able to book an appointment for this evening, 8 months later. They did a full retest. Fair enough. It has been 8 months. I passed.

BUT

Instead of my NCT being valid for 12 months. It is only valid until February. What is going on with that?

I have just been for my NCT and I am mighty confused and unhappy.

My NCT was due back in Feb. I had it tested in Jan early. I failed, cant remember the issue. But it related to the undebody of the car. Got it fixed, but by the time by re test came around the lifts where out of action. Then RONA hit.

I was able to book an appointment for this evening, 8 months later. They did a full retest. Fair enough. It has been 8 months. I passed.

BUT

Instead of my NCT being valid for 12 months. It is only valid until February. What is going on with that?

Yes a sneaky and underhanded little nugget not many are aware of but it's the way their doing it which is outrageous given the centres were locked down and most had lift issues, neither the fault of customers. I received my defferal letter today, nct was due end of August but now 31 dec, It says if I book 90 days prior to the new date I will get a yearly cert, so this adds to the confusion, basically it looks like if I book and complete test 90 days after initial due date, I'll get a year's cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dear Car-Owner,

This is notification of a deferral of your NCT

As a result of COVID 19, the Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport announced a 4 month NCT certificate extension for vehicles with a test due date on or after the 28th March.

As a result of this announcement, your NCT has been deferred, your new test due date is 02/12/2020. You will not receive a new NCT certificate to signify this new test due date and An Garda Síochána have been notified.

Your vehicle should be presented for NCT based on your new test due date 02/12/2020 and you can book online nearer this date.
    Customers are reminded if you proceed with booking a test that is more than 90 days in advance of the test due date, the test will be a voluntary early test and the NCT certificate issued will be valid for 1 or 2 years (depending on the age of the vehicle) from the date of the successful test.

Check out our Frequently Asked Questions to find out all your need to know about the NCTS test from how to prepare for the test, how to cancel/rearrange an NCT, how much does the NCT cost, check list to prepare for your NCT.

That it what was sent to me via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mine (08) was due April 14 2020 & I got the 4 months extension which brought it to Aug 14 2020.

I got a cancellation for July 28 2020, had the test, passed & got the full year to Aug 2021 on the cert. Hppy days.

The way they are wording it seems to be confusing.

My understanding is this,

You can test your car up to 90 days prior to your old or new due date & get a full cert.

If you test more than 90 days in advance of your due date it is deemed a voluntary early test & you get screwed.
    Customers are reminded if you proceed with booking a test that is more than 90 days in advance of the test due date, the test will be a voluntary early test and the NCT certificate issued will be valid for 1 or 2 years (depending on the age of the vehicle) from the date of the successful test.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

The disc I have gotten definitely says Feb 2021.

I'm going to ring them about it Monday.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Mine (08) was due April 14 2020 & I got the 4 months extension which brought it to Aug 14 2020.

I got a cancellation for July 28 2020, had the test, passed & got the full year to Aug 2021 on the cert. Hppy days.

The way they are wording it seems to be confusing.

My understanding is this,

You can test your car up to 90 days prior to your old or new due date & get a full cert.

If you test more than 90 days in advance of your due date it is deemed a voluntary early test & you get screwed.
    No, your test has to be within 90 days of your NEW expiry date to get the full 1 or 2 years from that date. If you test it before then, you'll just get the 1 or 2 years from the test date.

Your old expiry date is now null and void, forget about it. It has absolutely no bearing.

Expect, that is, for cases such as the previous poster. As their expiry date was before lockdown but they hadn't passed, they're not entitled to the four-month extension. So regardless of when they eventually pass, their current cert is dated from their previous expiry date (as normal).

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Country lad

rainemac wrote: »
    Mine is out next week too, I'm not bringing it for now, I live 30mins from shops, I will be driving it when I have to. If guards stop me I'll explain to them there's a contagious pandemic happening. I doubt they will care that it will be out of nct a few weeks but who knows, I'd rather take that chance.

My new date for test is middle of september as it was out in may .went to book iy online and the earliest was 17 november that available so booked it so nct be out for 2 months on car so what will happen if i get stopped by guards also tax is out in oct so will i be able to tax car without a nct ...how do i get a earlier booking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only found out the other day that the local test centre has the lift issue sorted.

My car passed ok bar this before the shutdown.

Went online tonight and appts available for Monday onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My new date for test is middle of september as it was out in may .went to book iy online and the earliest was 17 november that available so booked it so nct be out for 2 months on car so what will happen if i get stopped by guards also tax is out in oct so will i be able to tax car without a nct ...how do i get a earlier booking

Mine was due on 14 Aug (New Date) & when I tried to book (Galway City) the earliest I could get was end of November which was going to leave me 3 months without valid cert. I declined to book it but kept on going back to check, especially between midnight & 2:00am, 2 days later I got a cancellation for July 28. All sorted now.

You could cancel you appointment without penalty and watch & see if you get an earlier date, they do come up regular enough according to a lot of posters.

As for the legal side of it, if your cert is out it's out & I'd imagine it would be down to the discretion of whatever Guard might stop you. The insurance side of it is another issue too, maybe you should check with them to see how they feel about your cover if you leave your current appointment as is.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive always managed to get a booking within the fortnight due to cancellations. I would check twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon.

People have to cancel for all sorts of reasons and with the penalty payable if you give less than 5 days notice, people are incentivised not to to hold onto appointments if they know they cant make it.

Easy enough to do on the phone if you don't have access

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

It's now asking for address? Is that new?

I also received a letter in the post.. I don't remember the last time I received one from the NCT.

Where did they get my name and address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

It's now asking for address? Is that new?
    No.
    I also received a letter in the post.. I don't remember the last time I received one from the NCT.

Where did they get my name and address?

Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division (DVCSD) in Shannon have responsibility for the national vehicle and driver file (NVDF) containing details of all vehicles registered in Ireland. NCT would have access to that database obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

quick question, I have a visual retest but the original test was done in kildare. I'd rather not travel to covid central so can i do the visual at any test centre? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

My car was to get the test next month. Due to covid 19 it has been pushed to next February.

First I have heard of this.

Anyone elses been pushed to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's pretty common knowledge that they pushed all NCT due dates out by 4 months during the lockdown as they were shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Check your spam folder on pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

cena wrote: »
    My car was to get the test next month. Due to covid 19 it has been pushed to next February.

First I have heard of this.

Anyone elses been pushed to next year

Any NCT due after the 28th of March has been pushed out by 4 months. I'm pretty sure it was on the RSA website and talked about plenty here too.

Here is the statement from the RSA: https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Further-Statement-from-Minister-Ross-in-relation-to-the-Vehicle-Testing-Driver-Licensing-and-Related-Services/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its rather confusing, when is the cut off for that extension, or is it just set on everything? My car shouldn't be due until August 2021, has that got 4 months added too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Its rather confusing, when is the cut off for that extension, or is it just set on everything? My car shouldn't be due until August 2021, has that got 4 months added too?

Yes every car regardless of due date have been extended by 4 months .

NCT – vehicles with a test that was or will be due on or after 28 March 2020 have that test date extended by 4 months

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement