Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hotels.com emailed me today as well about cancelling my UK hotel booking for another trip I had lined. They sent a confirmation email after I cancelled the trip. Now I just need Wizz Air to cancel the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

7 days today an no email from Ryanair so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

elperello wrote: »
    Yes I know Ireland is not the centre of the Universe really but it kind of is the centre of my universe for now :)

I understand the value of repatriation flights.Two members of my extended family
    were glad to get back from AUS and NZ at the weekend.

What I was complaining about is that you can still go on the Aer Lingus website and book a return trip going out next week returning the week after. I checked on it when I heard about it elsewhere. The one I looked at was to France. Have a look yourself if you want to confirm it. Repatriation should be one way accepting bookings for return flights at this stage is only adding to the confusion.

What confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Loveholidays contacted me to offer me a voucher for my holiday which was cancelled as the hotel is closed and the airline is not flying.

They're refusing to offer a refund - so it looks like I'll have to go down the chargeback route.

The ironic thing is that the hotel and the airline have told me that they're refunding customers who booked directly - I would have been better off had I booked directly as opposed to with an agent. I originally thought a person would have more protection booking via an agent but I think I've learned a lesson here.

Will update on this and how I get on with the bank and Mastercard.

FGR wrote: »
    Loveholidays contacted me to offer me a voucher for my holiday which was cancelled as the hotel is closed and the airline is not flying.

They're refusing to offer a refund - so it looks like I'll have to go down the chargeback route.

The ironic thing is that the hotel and the airline have told me that they're refunding customers who booked directly - I would have been better off had I booked directly as opposed to with an agent. I originally thought a person would have more protection booking via an agent but I think I've learned a lesson here.

How exactly does a chargeback work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Your bank pursues the bank of the other party, under Visa/Mastercard rules if a good or service is not provided they have to reverse the original debit.

Gives you added protection when paying with a card, here is the BOI form to begin things but every card issuer is different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/assets/Credit-Card-Dispute-Form.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjs383X-LjoAhVhqHEKHROCCigQFjAKegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2IBqzw7BKgRcW8he6OtFs8

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair or Aer Lingus themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭testtech05

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair or Aer Lingus themselves?

I'm awaiting an email from Ryanair for a flight to Italy on the 17th of April so that I can request a refund.

Have heard from some friends that they have been able to request a refund from Ryanair but not sure if they have received it yet. All Aer Lingus have offered me so far was change date or 110% voucher, no refund.

testtech05 wrote: »
    I'm awaiting an email from Ryanair for a flight to Italy on the 17th of April so that I can request a refund.

Have heard from some friends that they have been able to request a refund from Ryanair but not sure if they have received it yet. All Aer Lingus have offered me so far was change date or 110% voucher, no refund.

Yeah I filled in Ryanair refund request form 8 days ago for april 1st flight but heard nothing at all since

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I opted to take up the Aer Lingus voucher offer, after originally being offered and accepting a refund for my outgoing flight only. No confirmation of the refund arrived after that. I then received the voucher offer by email and filled that in, which was then confirmed by email from them.

I still haven't actually received the voucher, but it seems as if it's on the way. I just hope Aer Lingus survives long enough for me to use it next year or whenever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

USIT has gone bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I have a flight booked for next week, was unsure whether to change the booking or take a voucher. What do the new measures for staying at home and within a 2 km radius mean for my flight now? Can I request a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Space Dog wrote: »
    I have a flight booked for next week, was unsure whether to change the booking or take a voucher. What do the new measures for staying at home and within a 2 km radius mean for my flight now? Can I request a refund?

If you live more than 2km from the airport the Govt. says you can't go.

Seeing as most people do live more than 2km from the airport this should mean all flights cancelled. If your flight is cancelled you will get a refund

However the airlines are playing chicken with their customers trying to hold on to their money and give them vouchers.

Just keep an eye on the airline website and your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

elperello wrote: »
    If you live more than 2km from the airport the Govt. says you can't go.

Seeing as most people do live more than 2km from the airport this should mean all flights cancelled. If your flight is cancelled you will get a refund

However the airlines are playing chicken with their customers trying to hold on to their money and give them vouchers.

Just keep an eye on the airline website and your email.

Yeah was thinking they will probably try to avoid refunds. Gonna wait for more communication from them

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Anyone know anything about the "Feed the Heroes" Go Fund Me Campaign.

Got this from Ryanair earlier today, removed my flight ref

Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent request for a refund on your booking confirmation .......

Due to the high volume of flight cancellations due to COVID 19, we are experiencing an unprecedented high volume of requests. We are currently working through the backlog and ask that you please bear with us.

Please do not resubmit your request.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We got the same email today Technocentral. We filled in the refund form 8 days ago. We took screenshots at the time, but never got any sort of acknowledgement until that email today. I think it's understandable that it will take them time to work through the backlog. I don't mind waiting for the refund... so long as we actually get it! So feel better having gotten that email at least.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

woodchuck wrote: »
    We got the same email today Technocentral. We filled in the refund form 8 days ago. We took screenshots at the time, but never got any sort of acknowledgement until that email today. I think it's understandable that it will take them time to work through the backlog. I don't mind waiting for the refund... so long as we actually get it! So feel better having gotten that email at least.

I just got the same email. I thought it was funny they asked people not to resubmit their refund applications. When I applied for mine I wasn't 100% sure it had gone through. It might have helped if they sent on an email acknowledgement of receipt of the refund application. I applied for refunds from hotels.com and Premium Inn and both acknowledged my refund request by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I haven't had any email and it's more than 2 weeks since I submitted the form to Ryanair

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I haven't had any email and it's more than 2 weeks since I submitted the form to Ryanair

How long before the flight should I expect an email saying I can cancel? I'm due to fly in 2 weeks but no word yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

How long before the flight should I expect an email saying I can cancel? I'm due to fly in 2 weeks but no word yet

I got it as soon as my flight was cancelled

I had flight booked for 10/04 and got notified I could cancel on 24/03.

Caranica wrote: »
    I got it as soon as my flight was cancelled

Maybe they haven't cancelled mine officially yet

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

FGR wrote: »

I am having terrible time getting them to cancel. due to travel in may. they are saying all normal T&C apply after april 15. so cancellation is 600 euro (following ABSTA rules) I have only paid a deposit but am due to pay another installment tomorrow. i pushed out other payments as far as i could (april 27th) to see if ABSTA update their policies and loveholidays are forced to refund without cancellation fees.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
    https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

They are following the above rules - i rang credit card company and they wont do a chargeback. as they company is compliant to governing body ABTA (UK)

if you look at the irish literature:

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/71954/65b80dd6c15f40c4b5df337671048f24.pdf#page=1

I am entitled to full refund but i bought the holiday from an english company. Credit card company wouldnt follow up. i also heard that loveholidays arent offering refund only vouchers - which once i get to that point ill have to argue as well.

another variable is that they go bust - they are ATOL protected so money should come back. They aint making it easy and i look forward to there demise post Virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was due to fly on March 14th with Ryanair, the same day as the travel ban was issued for the destination. I was sent the refund link by Ryanair that day, and applied.

Today, they updated saying that they are working on a backlog, so that's 16 days wait time, at least.

Maybe they haven't cancelled mine officially yet

Just to update on this I got the refund email last night so applied today and will see how long it takes to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

FitzShane wrote: »
    I was due to fly on March 14th with Ryanair, the same day as the travel ban was issued for the destination. I was sent the refund link by Ryanair that day, and applied.

Today, they updated saying that they are working on a backlog, so that's 16 days wait time, at least.

I got the same "be patient" email as well and not to resubmit, this was after the return leg was also cancelled but I submitted for both in the first instance. I'm not really expecting anything before the end of April but still good to get some correspondence in relation to it. I had another flight with Wizz Air cancelled as part of the same trip which I received credit for but was told the refund can take up to 60 days. I guess part of it is to dissuade people from taking the refund and keeping the credit instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Would anyone know what to do about prepaid airport parking please?

I had booked and prepaid Shannon airport parking for a few days next week. Do I claim it off my credit card, directly from the airport or from my multi trip insurance?

Thanks a mil for replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

acequion wrote: »
    Would anyone know what to do about prepaid airport parking please?

I had booked and prepaid Shannon airport parking for a few days next week. Do I claim it off my credit card, directly from the airport or from my multi trip insurance?

Thanks a mil for replies!

Just email the airport. I'm sure they'll process a refund.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement