Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

acequion wrote: »
    Would anyone know what to do about prepaid airport parking please?

I had booked and prepaid Shannon airport parking for a few days next week. Do I claim it off my credit card, directly from the airport or from my multi trip insurance?

Thanks a mil for replies!

Dublin Airport allows you to cancel and refunds to the card. Very straightforward. Do you have that option in Shannon?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dublin Airport allows you to cancel and refunds to the card. Very straightforward. Do you have that option in Shannon?

Yep I emailed them and they refunded, assume Shannon will do the same.

Yep I emailed them and they refunded, assume Shannon will do the same.

You don't need to email them. Just go to the booking (Manage My Booking or similar) and cancel it. You can do it up to the day before if not closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks so much guys for the replies,very helpful. I'll go about cancelling and getting refunded tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

acequion wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys for the replies,very helpful. I'll go about cancelling and getting refunded tomorrow.

Hope you get sorted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Hope you get sorted. :)

Can report that we had no problem with quickpark in Dublin. Money refunded to card without delay.

Interestingly, got the following email from hoppa. We had a fully refundable booking!! I have queried it with them so will see. Might open a PayPal dispute, as transfer was 100euro return.

Good day

Unfortunately with the current situation, we will not be processing any refunds in cash, we are refunding clients with Hoppa credits that can be used for future bookings. I am sure you understand the current situation we are all facing. We have extended the validation date to the 30th of June 2021. We hope to see you traveling with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Interestingly, got the following email from hoppa. We had a fully refundable booking!! I have queried it with them so will see. Might open a PayPal dispute, as transfer was 100euro return.

Good day

Unfortunately with the current situation, we will not be processing any refunds in cash, we are refunding clients with Hoppa credits that can be used for future bookings. I am sure you understand the current situation we are all facing. We have extended the validation date to the 30th of June 2021. We hope to see you traveling with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Swiss Airlines are the same - currently not processing any refunds for cancelled flights but will rebook to a different date. "check back later for refunds" is basically what they're telling everyone.

It's ridiculous. If the flight is cancelled it should be an automatic refund IMO. Just hope they don't go under in the meantime!

It's ridiculous. If the flight is cancelled it should be an automatic refund IMO. Just hope they don't go under in the meantime!

Unfortunately those two things are connected. Some airlines will go under if they're forced to issue cash refunds.

I'm not getting into a debate on the rights and wrongs of it, anyone can quote regulations, but these are not normal circumstances.

Swiss Airlines are the same - currently not processing any refunds for cancelled flights but will rebook to a different date. "check back later for refunds" is basically what they're telling everyone.

Not making it easy!! I would agree you should be entitled to an automatic refund.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately those two things are connected. Some airlines will go under if they're forced to issue cash refunds.

I'm not getting into a debate on the rights and wrongs of it, anyone can quote regulations, but these are not normal circumstances.

I get that and fully appreciate the circumstances are hard for the businesses. I just hope they make it through.

Looks like hoppa had themselves covered in the fine print. I believe that if you make a fully refundable booking, then that's what it should be, refundable in cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Vueling just DENIED my refund request, despite them cancelling the flight.

Time to claim off the insurance (more paperwork, great).

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Vueling just DENIED my refund request, despite them cancelling the flight.

Time to claim off the insurance (more paperwork, great).

You could try to claim charge back from your credit card? Might be first preference if you have an excess. Our insurer insureandgo did not cover our flights...or anything else!!

You could try to claim charge back from your credit card? Might be first preference if you have an excess. Our insurer insureandgo did not cover our flights.

There is no excess on my policy.

MultiTrip confirmed previously we are covered.

I am tempted to do a chargeback, but i'm wondering will the bank state that Vueling were in compliance, they quote:

We acknowledge receipt of your claim dated 28/03/2020 20:08:51.

First of all, we regret the cancellation of your flight VY8720 operated from BCN DUB on 29/03/2020.

While Vueling commits to operate flights with punctuality, infrequently there are events arising outside of our control which are unpredictable and unavoidable, causing the disruption of a flight.

Regarding your claim for a compensation, Vueling has analyzed your case, which must be dealt with under the Regulation (EC) Nº 261/2004 (the “Regulation”) and the relevant legal doctrine from the ECJ.

In this case, however, we regret to advise no compensation is due, because the cancellation of the flight was caused by the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, which caused restrictions, limitations and the application of additional measures on the number of flights to be operated, all of them understood to be considered as “extraordinary circumstances”, as set out in Article 5.3 of the Regulation and under the ECJ legal doctrine and declared by the European Comission.

As you are aware, public authorities take measures (prohibit flights, ban the movements of persons…) intended to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, such measures
    are by their nature and origin not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of carriers and are outside their actual control.

Because of the nature of the event, Vueling could not avoid the disruption as this was caused by an unpredictable, unavoidable (although taking all reasonable measures) event, falling outside Vueling’s control and therefore, Vueling could not apply any additional reasonable measures to subsequently try to at least minimize the disruption.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have suffered
    by the disruption to your flight.

Best regards,

Customer Service Department

VUELING AIRLINES S.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I am tempted to do a chargeback, but i'm wondering will the bank state that Vueling were in compliance, they quote:

First of all, we regret the cancellation of your flight VY8720 operated from BCN DUB on 29/03/2020.

While Vueling commits to operate flights with punctuality, infrequently there are events arising outside of our control which are unpredictable and unavoidable, causing the disruption of a flight.

Regarding your claim for a compensation, Vueling has analyzed your case, which must be dealt with under the Regulation (EC) Nº 261/2004 (the “Regulation”) and the relevant legal doctrine from the ECJ.

In this case, however, we regret to advise no compensation is due, because the cancellation of the flight was caused by the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, which caused restrictions, limitations and the application of additional measures on the number of flights to be operated, all of them understood to be considered as “extraordinary circumstances”, as set out in Article 5.3 of the Regulation and under the ECJ legal doctrine and declared by the European Comission.

As you are aware, public authorities take measures (prohibit flights, ban the movements of persons…) intended to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, such measures
    are by their nature and origin not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of carriers and are outside their actual control.

Because of the nature of the event, Vueling could not avoid the disruption as this was caused by an unpredictable, unavoidable (although taking all reasonable measures) event, falling outside Vueling’s control and therefore, Vueling could not apply any additional reasonable measures to subsequently try to at least minimize the disruption.

Best regards,

VUELING AIRLINES S.A.

That's on relation to compensation though, not a refund. Seems that way to me anyway

Best regards,

VUELING AIRLINES S.A.

Did you claim for a refund or for compensation?? They are two very separate claims as I understand it...

My understanding is that the eu directive requires airlines to issue a refund if the flight is cancelled regardless of the circumstances. Compensation is only in certain limited circumstances. I am still awaiting a refund from Ryanair for our cancelled flights but we will see.

I opened a PayPal dispute with hoppa regarding our transfer refund. Nothing to lose really but I'm not too hopeful.

That's on relation to compensation though, not a refund. Seems that way to me anyway
    Did you claim for a refund or for compensation?? They are two very separate claims as I understand it...

My understanding is that the eu directive requires airlines to issue a refund if the flight is cancelled regardless of the circumstances. Compensation is only in certain limited circumstances. I am still awaiting a refund from Ryanair for our cancelled flights but we will see.

I opened a PayPal dispute with hoppa regarding our transfer refund. Nothing to lose really but I'm not too hopeful.

Good points.

I initially followed a link from Vueling (Facebook) and it's possible that I hit 'claim' rather than refund, as I note they date 28/03/2020.

I'll ring Vueling again tomorrow (tried again earlier, no luck) and see if I can get confirmation that my refund is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Accor Hotel to close two thirds of its Hotels worldwide
    https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/coronavirus-accor-va-fermer-les-deux-tiers-de-ses-hotels-dans-le-monde-1887352.html

Their Brands include: Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, Sofitel...

Good points.

I initially followed a link from Vueling (Facebook) and it's possible that I hit 'claim' rather than refund, as I note they date 28/03/2020.

I'll ring Vueling again tomorrow (tried again earlier, no luck) and see if I can get confirmation that my refund is in place.

Well there was no automatic 'in place' with Ryanair. I had to fill out a form for a refund. So just check what the procedure with vueling is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Folks anyone know how far Ryanair are up to with sending refund emails - we have flights booked for 25th April and nothing from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dovies wrote: »
    Folks anyone know how far Ryanair are up to with sending refund emails - we have flights booked for 25th April and nothing from them yet.

you're probably about 7 or 8 weeks behind IMO. I only received an email this week for a flight on March 14th saying that they are working on the backlog.

March 24th and nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

FitzShane wrote: »
    you're probably about 7 or 8 weeks behind IMO. I only received an email this week for a flight on March 14th saying that they are working on the backlog.

Got the refund email from them last week for our 10th April flight so assumed they were heading to the end of April ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Got the refund email from them last week for our 10th April flight so assumed they were heading to the end of April ones!

I had gone the refund email alright closer to the flight date, and I applied for it instantly. The last mail was just a follow-up to say that they are working on the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,288 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Aer lingus flight to Verona 14th April...still no cancellation email.
    Only offered to move dates or voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For those having difficulties getting refunds, has anyone explored a chargeback?

That's what I'm doing, will see how it goes - have the details in another thread "Anyone having issues getting a refund from TUI?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Got the refund email from them last week for our 10th April flight so assumed they were heading to the end of April ones!"

They are obviously buried. I see the flight status page is only for the next 3 days.

It's a pity that Aer Lingus are still playing silly games trying to get "clients" to rebook flights.
    Who in there right mind is going to change flights to some date in the future?
    This bloody virus could snooker flights for months.

The voucher offer is not bad with the 10% bonus and the 5 year validity but a refund is always better.

It's a right pain to have a leftover amount on a voucher especially with an airline where an extra purchase is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

mjquinno wrote: »
    I am having terrible time getting them to cancel. due to travel in may. they are saying all normal T&C apply after april 15. so cancellation is 600 euro (following ABSTA rules) I have only paid a deposit but am due to pay another installment tomorrow. i pushed out other payments as far as i could (april 27th) to see if ABSTA update their policies and loveholidays are forced to refund without cancellation fees.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
    https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

They are following the above rules - i rang credit card company and they wont do a chargeback. as they company is compliant to governing body ABTA (UK)

if you look at the irish literature:

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/71954/65b80dd6c15f40c4b5df337671048f24.pdf#page=1

I am entitled to full refund but i bought the holiday from an english company. Credit card company wouldnt follow up. i also heard that loveholidays arent offering refund only vouchers - which once i get to that point ill have to argue as well.

another variable is that they go bust - they are ATOL protected so money should come back. They aint making it easy and i look forward to there demise post Virus.

It looks like the ABTA says you are entitled to cash refund if you haven't used the voucher by 31 July 2020.

From https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak
    3. If you are not able to amend your holiday to another date, your travel provider may offer you a Refund Credit Note instead of an immediate cash refund. This Refund Credit Note can be used to book another holiday at a later date and, in the meantime, it is protected by ABTA/ ATOL if your original booking had that protection, so you would be reimbursed if the travel company failed financially.

Further details on this option are below:

This protection will last initially until 31 July 2020, at which point, if you have not used the Refund Credit Note to book another holiday, you will be entitled to a cash refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭acequion

My hotel in the Algarve inPortugal offered refund or credit. So far I'm opting for the credit as it's a lovely hotel that I would love to stay in at some future point. The credit is valid until the end of 2021 and it's a well established hotel that you'd imagine unlikely to go bust.

But should I opt for the refund? What would people do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement