Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just had to push a trip to the US back from May until September. I'm travelling with a group and that was the consensus pick of what to do but personally I would have rather wait until 2021. I'm just hoping 6 months is enough time for it to be under control enough to enjoy the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just had to push a trip to the US back from May until September. I'm travelling with a group and that was the consensus pick of what to do but personally I would have rather wait until 2021. I'm just hoping 6 months is enough time for it to be under control enough to enjoy the trip.

I'd be surprised if this was able to go ahead then.

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel. Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

Can't see those borders being open for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'd be surprised if this was able to go ahead then.

Really? Even for Europe?
    Currently looking at rescheduling a Switzerland trip to end of August/start of Sept...

Really? Even for Europe?
    Currently looking at rescheduling a Switzerland trip to end of August/start of Sept...

More possible for you to be able to go than the USA guy, but you just don't know.

Take a refund where possible rather than a voucher or an option to rebook because you don't know what airlines or hotels will still be in business in 5/6 months. Flybe and Thomas Cook went under before airlines faced the situation of months with no passengers.

I'd be assuming/making peace with the fact no travel is possible until the go-ahead is given by the various stakeholders involved. Otherwise you'll be tearing your hair out wondering if it's going ahead or not.

Borders could be opening at different times, to different countries, there could be conditions attached to entry, or conditions attached to re-arrival home. Hotels and Airlines could go bankrupt and the money could be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eurocamp have cancelled our accommodation for a trip at Easter (flights had already been cancelled and refunded by Ryanair).

Eurocamp are only offering a voucher - anyone know are we entitled to insist on a refund? Only consumer info I can find relates to package holidays, which this doesn't fall into the definition of as we booked the flights and accommodation separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Really? Even for Europe?

We’re about to have thousands of people die all around Europe because of this. I’m not trying to scaremonger here but just trying to say that nobody can give you any definitive answers about August or September

My own guess is that travel restrictions or curtailments will be in place for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

loyatemu wrote: »
    Eurocamp have cancelled our accommodation for a trip at Easter (flights had already been cancelled and refunded by Ryanair).

Eurocamp are only offering a voucher - anyone know are we entitled to insist on a refund? Only consumer info I can find relates to package holidays, which this doesn't fall into the definition of as we booked the flights and accommodation separately.

I think you're definitely due a full refund, they cancelled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gadventures are only offering me a voucher also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

We got a full refund off them about 2 weeks ago due to Bella Italia not being open at Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ifElseThen wrote: »
    We got a full refund off them about 2 weeks ago due to Bella Italia not being open at Easter.

we're booked via the German Eurocamp (eurocamp.de) who seem to have a different approach, going to insist on a refund and see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Booked a hotel on travel Republic for Salou at the end of August. I have €600 to pay before the beginning of August. I was thinking about putting €200 of it this week. Am I mad in the head? I've no travel insurance either btw.

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Booked a hotel on travel Republic for Salou at the end of August. I have €600 to pay before the beginning of August. I was thinking about putting €200 of it this week. Am I mad in the head? I've no travel insurance either btw.

Yes, that would comfortably be grounds for classifying you as mad in the head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

we're booked via the German Eurocamp (eurocamp.de) who seem to have a different approach, going to insist on a refund and see what they come back with.

If you paid by credit card, lodge a charge back - you are not going to receive the service you have been billed for ,(much like when an airline collaspes).

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Wait till 31/7 before you pay any extra, you may get a refund before then for what you have paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Aer Lingus: Twitter is going mad.... Lots of people complaining that they're only being offered the change of date / voucher + 10% rather than a refund for CANCELLED flights.

We're in the same boat. Got the e-mail as above. Cannot contact them by phone / Facebook / Twitter. One-way flight DUB - BCN on Mar 26.

Purchased on the credit card. Unsure whether to:
    1) Chargeback on credit card
    2) Claim off insurance (no excess)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Aer Lingus: Twitter is going mad.... Lots of people complaining that they're only being offered the change of date / voucher + 10% rather than a refund for CANCELLED flights.

We're in the same boat. Got the e-mail as above. Cannot contact them by phone / Facebook / Twitter. One-way flight DUB - BCN on Mar 26.

Forget all that Aer Lingus irish national carrier history.

They are following the IAG line.

They cancel they must refund.

elperello wrote: »
    Forget all that Aer Lingus irish national carrier history.

They are following the IAG line.

They cancel they must refund.

Just went Googling and found the 'Disrupted Flight Refund' Form. Filled it in and got the auto-reply.

Let's see what happens.

Terribly disappointed with Aer Lingus. Vueling (Who are also under IAG) sent us an e-mail once the flight was cancelled. Refund was as easy as clicking a link. Aer Lingus make you do your own research and fill out form etc. - Terrible carry on, tbh, hoping that people will think they have no option but to re-book or go for voucher + 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Just went Googling and found the 'Disrupted Flight Refund' Form. Filled it in and got the auto-reply.

Let's see what happens.

Terribly disappointed with Aer Lingus. Vueling (Who are also under IAG) sent us an e-mail once the flight was cancelled. Refund was as easy as clicking a link. Aer Lingus make you do your own research and fill out form etc. - Terrible carry on, tbh, hoping that people will think they have no option but to re-book or go for voucher + 10%

You got a reply? I filled in the refund form more than a week ago - no reply. Received an email about the voucher option and filled that in yesterday - allowed me to complete that form too but still no reply, auto or otherwise.

I'd be okay to wait if I just got an acknowledgment. Makes me lean towards a refund instead now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I’ve a similar issue. We had flights booked to Argentina with KLM and they’ve been cancelled.
    They’re offering a voucher valid for 12 months from date of issue which is a joke seeing as at the very least for the first 4 months of that voucher they’ll be no flights anyway.
    I’ve contacted them on WhatsApp quoting EC261 but they haven’t replied yet.

• Advertisement

You can understand why airlines who cancel flights are trying to get away with offering a voucher instead of a refund (trying to protect their cash reserves) but the fact is, if they cancel they HAVE to refund you.

If they won't, do a charge back.

If it was me I'd go down the chargeback route, some insurers will ask you to try this first too. Will also mean the next time you buy travel insurance and are asked have you claimed in the past, you can say no.

If it was me I'd go down the chargeback route, some insurers will ask you to try this first too. Will also mean the next time you buy travel insurance and are asked have you claimed in the past, you can say no.

I found the refund form. If I don't hear anything back from AerLingus within 7 working days, i'll be filling out a chargeback form.

Shameful carry on by Aer Lingus.

Instructions today from our Government not to travel within Ireland and they are still selling flights to countries on lockdown.

So you have to breach our rules to get to the airport here and go into isolation when you get to the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

elperello wrote: »
    Shameful carry on by Aer Lingus.

Instructions today from our Government not to travel within Ireland and they are still selling flights to countries on lockdown.

So you have to breach our rules to get to the airport here and go into isolation when you get to the destination.

Believe it or not Ireland is not the centre of the universe. People are trying to get home to other countries and Aer Lingus and Ryanair were repatriating Irish people.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My flights to the UK were cancelled with Ryanair and I was offered a refund. I applied for the refund yesterday. I never got a confirmation email to say I had done it but I did print out the thing saying I had applied for the refund. Do Ryanair not send confirmation emails of these things? Just wondering, most things you do like this these days you'd get an email about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got email Thursday last and cancelled our April 1 flight to Malta, no email confirmation. Hoping refund will come tommorow, will report back if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Received cancellation e-mail from Aer Lingus on 18th and filled out the refund form that day. I didn't get a confirmation e-mail and no word yet on what the status is of the refund.

Has anyone gotten their refund processed yet and if so how long were they waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm on the same date timeline with you, but with Ryanair. No refund yet

• Advertisement

Believe it or not Ireland is not the centre of the universe. People are trying to get home to other countries and Aer Lingus and Ryanair were repatriating Irish people.

Yes I know Ireland is not the centre of the Universe really but it kind of is the centre of my universe for now :)

I understand the value of repatriation flights.Two members of my extended family
    were glad to get back from AUS and NZ at the weekend.

What I was complaining about is that you can still go on the Aer Lingus website and book a return trip going out next week returning the week after. I checked on it when I heard about it elsewhere. The one I looked at was to France. Have a look yourself if you want to confirm it. Repatriation should be one way accepting bookings for return flights at this stage is only adding to the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement