Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPL Wildcard Thread 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

ElTel wrote: »
    @Colking
    Have you considered a place holder for Robertson?
    Tierney would be a gamble perhaps but Pereira or Willems (Ritchie may have to oust a midfielder when he's fit again), Schar or Doherty (Traore may be pushing for a forward spot now)

I'd pick Maddison ahead of Vardy. GL

Thanks for the advice. As a Newcastle supporter, i'd like to have one of them. Willems did look impressive and he might nail down a starting spot.

It's a little up in the air at the moment because apparently after no less than 3 clear the air talks the team convinced Bruce to let them play the formation and positions they knew best under Raffa against Utd albeit with more attacking vim and vigor than he would have normally approved.

Very tempted but feel like it’d be a few sideways moves.

Could get rid of Aguero, Salah, Sterling, Mount, Callum Wilson

and bring in the likes of -

KDB, Mane, Mendy, CHO and Lacazette if he was 100% fit.

I think I really want Mendy and I prefer KDB and Mane as players over Salah and Sterling and surely having fun should be part of it too ?

I think my WC would also have me playing 4 at the back and not sure that’s much fun. I’d like to own and play TAA, Mendy, Emerson or Alonso, Richie and the fantastic Mr. Lundstram. He gets to play every week regardless.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Senan WW

Four at the back now? Madness with so many cheap defenders doing well

What about Jimi?

Senan WW wrote: »
    Four at the back now? Madness with so many cheap defenders doing well

What about Jimi?

Zero interest in Wolves.

In fact most of the players I want are defenders.

I want one of Janmaat or Femenia and was willing to wait to see which one gets that RB slot but today didn’t help. Janmaat started but was replaced (injured I think ?) on 71 minutes by Femenia.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Senan WW

Madness

• Advertisement

Senan WW wrote: »
    Madness

Or genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,944 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very tempted but feel like it’d be a few sideways moves.

Could get rid of Aguero, Salah, Sterling, Mount, Callum Wilson

and bring in the likes of -

KDB, Mane, Mendy, CHO and Lacazette if he was 100% fit.

I think I really want Mendy and I prefer KDB and Mane as players over Salah and Sterling and surely having fun should be part of it too ?

I think my WC would also have me playing 4 at the back and not sure that’s much fun. I’d like to own and play TAA, Mendy, Emerson or Alonso, Richie and the fantastic Mr. Lundstram. He gets to play every week regardless.
    I was watching MOTD today and certainly thinking the same about looking at CHO as my potential Chelsea midfielder ahead of Mount. He was genuinely everywhere but with Mount having 4 goals and an assist to his name already I was worried that I might be trying to be too clever chasing the 0.9 million, but 3 assists in a row is good going.

Had a look through options for the last hour.

Wildcard active.

No one else eh ?

I shot my bolt last week. What are your current thoughts for a lineup ?

• Advertisement

Colking wrote: »
    I shot my bolt last week. What are your current thoughts for a lineup ?

I’m selling Salah, Sterling, Aguero and Callum Wilson. Well they are my main money sales.

I’m currently settled on a, kinda dodgy, team of players that I like. As in players I enjoy watching play.

Mane, KDB, Vardy or Firmino and then the dodgy Lacazette and Martial.

I could play safe with Dilva and am tempted to do so but I’m thinking a 3-4-3 and Dilva would mean 3-5-2 with Connolly as my third striker. I think I prefer Cantwell as my fifth midfielder. So it’s Connolly or Cantwell as first sub.

I’m also selling Mount (for CHO) and I’m very very close to selling Abraham for Jimenez.

Not doing much in defence. Bringing in Mendy and Janmaat for first/second sub.

So -

Pope

TAA, Mendy, Lundstram - Janmaat, Rico

KDB, Mane, CHO, Martial - Cantwell

Vardy, Lacazette or Firmino, Abraham or Jimenez

Or

Pope

TAA, Mendy, Lundstram, - Janmaat, Rico

KDB, Mane, CHO, Martial, David Silva,

Vardy, Firmino or Lacazette, - Connolly

Or I could go Vardy, Abraham or Jimenez and leave 2.5m in the bank with that last team.

I do want to buy players I enjoy watching. I’m not in love with Salah or Sterling as players and I love a real good striker that takes his chances.

Edit - I could go with a midfield of

KDB, Mane, Martial, CHO and a 6.1m

Lacazette, Vardy, Firmino

Should have said I’m currently 14k and want to beat my best finish of 2.5k and think a team of differentials might do it and be a bit of fun too.

Madness !!:eek:

On a more serious note though, I totally get where you’re coming from in terms of picking players you enjoy watching. Walsh from FML/FPL has a similar outlook to you and I’d largely agree with it.

His attitude is : Why pick a piece of crap player you don’t enjoy having just because group think or the template says you should ? If that “norm” player blanks you’re twice as pissed off with yourself. If that player fires you’re ambivalent about it. If your slightly dodgy/gut feel player fires you’re twice as happy, if they don’t you’re not quite as annoyed.

In terms of the team you’re suggesting I like the first option. I like David Silva as a player but far too often he gets into great positions and scuffs his shot or misses. Last Saturday was a sublime piece of skill to track the ball through the air and connect sweetly but the fact that the ball went in owed as much to luck as anything else. He put the ball on target but it could have just as easily come off the keepers legs.

Lacazette could be an inspired choice and if he bangs you will probably have a 2 week to 3 week jump on everyone else. But Arsenal. They look woeful at the moment.

I like your Mendy shout and for that very reason I’m more hopeful for Sterling moving forward. Mendy allows Sterling to Rock and Roll.
    I am not sure of Janmaat, he’s a nice price but I couldn’t see myself going for Watford. For the bit of flair/excitement and if you can afford the extra .1 or .2 look at Guilbert from Villa or Montoya from Brighton. Or maybe even go for a value non play option like Reid for 3.9 if that extra cash can make something special somewhere else for you.

Congratulations on the fabulous OR, I hope it continues to go well for you.

Not going with the norm so far this season has definitely been the way to go. Will that continue to be the case or will the norm reassert itself? Should you consolidate with some main stream offerings and a smaller sprinkling of gut/fun picks? Or should you double down on it now ?

Colking wrote: »
    On a more serious note though, I totally get where you’re coming from in terms of picking players you enjoy watching. Walsh from FML/FPL has a similar outlook to you and I’d largely agree with it.

His attitude is : Why pick a piece of crap player you don’t enjoy having just because group think or the template says you should ? If that “norm” player blanks you’re twice as pissed off with yourself. If that player fires you’re ambivalent about it. If your slightly dodgy/gut feel player fires you’re twice as happy, if they don’t you’re not quite as annoyed.

In terms of the team you’re suggesting I like the first option. I like David Silva as a player but far too often he gets into great positions and scuffs his shot or misses. Last Saturday was a sublime piece of skill to track the ball through the air and connect sweetly but the fact that the ball went in owed as much to luck as anything else. He put the ball on target but it could have just as easily come off the keepers legs.

Lacazette could be an inspired choice and if he bangs you will probably have a 2 week to 3 week jump on everyone else. But Arsenal. They look woeful at the moment.

I like your Mendy shout and for that very reason I’m more hopeful for Sterling moving forward. Mendy allows Sterling to Rock and Roll.
    I am not sure of Janmaat, he’s a nice price but I couldn’t see myself going for Watford. For the bit of flair/excitement and if you can afford the extra .1 or .2 look at Guilbert from Villa or Montoya from Brighton. Or maybe even go for a value non play option like Reid for 3.9 if that extra cash can make something special somewhere else for you.

Congratulations on the fabulous OR, I hope it continues to go well for you.

Not going with the norm so far this season has definitely been the way to go. Will that continue to be the case or will the norm reassert itself? Should you consolidate with some main stream offerings and a smaller sprinkling of gut/fun picks? Or should you double down on it now ?

Yeah. When Salah is greedy or misses I’m pissed off as I’m not in love with him but I’d forgive Mane for the same.

As for David Silva he has actually scored really good points when he’s got the minutes. Those two home games could be good for him and he’s a nice differential.

Lacazette and Martial would be typical choices for me as I try to be ahead of the curve/template. If those guys are now genuinely fully fit and available they’ll be good value and differentials.

If you don’t like Mendy then find another sport or life.

I want a Watford defender, and said we’d all have one soon about 2 weeks ago on another thread, and it looks like Janmaat is favoured over Femenia. There are both the same price so when Janmaat does get injured I’ll just bring in Femenia. Both good attacking full backs in a team that is already much tighter. A good bench option.

I reluctantly sold Montoya for Mendy. That’s the only transfer I’ll regret when Montoya inevitably gets an assist or goal and a clean sheet with 3 bonus points.

Sensible me is bored with the game so I’m gonna go the differential route and hopefully it’s not a case of being too clever.

So the first team you like which of the options do you like ?

Lacazette or Firmino

Abraham or Jimenez

I’m thinking Lacazette but really really struggling with the other. I don’t really want Wolves but finding it hard to get away from Jimenez. I think Chelsea have harder fixtures than people think.

If you don’t like Mendy then find another sport or life.

So the first team you like which of the options do you like ?

Lacazette or Firmino

Abraham or Jimenez

I’m thinking Lacazette but really really struggling with the other. I don’t really want Wolves but finding it hard to get away from Jimenez. I think Chelsea have harder fixtures than people think.

True, who couldn't love Mendy ? I always enjoy having him in my team while knowing that he's one mis-clipped toenail away from a lay off.

Lacazette or Firmino
    If you're going to go big or go home , Lacazette. When he came on in mid week Auba was shunted off to the wing to accommodate him. Theres also every chance that the next penalty they get Auba will help his friend out and let him have it to ease him back into the side. (Auba is an incredible, selfless, team player like that)

Abraham or Jimenez
    I have both. The current conventional wisdom is that Tammy is the man, a season keeper. I have doubts. His underlying stats say he's very unlucky right now. The eye test ? I'm not sure.

Jiminez ? I'm biased, I got the guy in last year and loved having him in my team. Looking at it coldly, calculatingly though ? He's the main man and everything goes through him. Unfortunately that includes their European adventure.

On a purely gut pick I'd go with Jiminez. At 14k OR though, you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater for your WC. Use the template and keep yourself covered a bit. If you already own Tammy then you have a lot of value built up also and would find it hard to move back there possibly if he fires in the next few.

Tammy

I think it’s Jimenez so.

I owned him really early last season and had him for most of it (the season).

I only bought Abraham recently and he’s only went up by 0.2m since then.

And like I said I think Chelsea have harder fixtures than people think.

Edit - thanks for the time and input.

I’m wildcarding also

Looking a lot like

Roberto Gazzaniga
    Pereira Stones Tomori Lundstram Kelly
    Sterling De Bruyne Martial Hudson Odoi Saka
    Aubameyang Vardy Abraham

My biggest conundrum is between Martial/CHO and Mount/James. I prefer the first combo personally. However, the 2nd combo frees up .5 million for me which would allow me to upgrade one of those cheapo keepers to someone more stable in their position/with a better defence, or to upgrade Kelly to a 2nd Sheff United defender.

CSF wrote: »
    I’m wildcarding also

Looking a lot like

Roberto Gazzaniga
    Aubameyang Vardy Abraham

My biggest conundrum is between Martial/CHO and Mount/James. I prefer the first combo personally. However, the 2nd combo frees up .5 million for me which would allow me to upgrade one of those cheapo keepers to someone more stable in their position/with a better defence, or to upgrade Kelly to a 2nd Sheff United defender.

Right now, I'd probably go with Option C : Cho/James. Unless you're on Mount already (I stayed away from Mounted) he's a fair chunk of change and Cho is looking very very good.

Personally I think Utd have looked rough. Their experimental formation against Liverpool worked really well but will Ole repeat it ? I don't think so.

James has looked very very impressive though and could be a good one to take a punt on.

Does that leave you the funds to upgrade Pereira or Stones to TAA or Robbo ? Everyone will want at least one of them in the next few weeks.

It depends on the type of player you are in relation to Goalkeepers but I've always hated having 2 that are always expected to play as I invariably make the wrong choice each week.

Sakas place is under serious threat from Laca coming back so I'd say you're safer with Dendoncker or upgrading to Cantwell if you can afford it.

I'd not be a fan of picking Auba right now with Laca coming back into the picture either. I'd probably look at an attacking Liverpool asset.

Sorry, I've just read back through my comments. I didn't mean to tear your current thinking apart.

No it’s appreciated, and echoes some of my thoughts I considered before concluding (at least for now) on what I’m on.

I think Martial is going to be the striker in that team. Once he bangs his first goal in I think the glamour to have him will be similar to at the start of the season.

I’m comfortable enough having rotating goalkeepers. Usually if I go with just one it’s a more premium one and nobody is taking the eye at present.

I’m not so sure that Arsenal is going to work that way. Saka is getting rave reviews and is more natural in his position than pushing Aubameyang out wide and essentially playing a real 4-3-3 with Pepe and Lacazette. 7 goals and 1 assist has been some serious consistency for Aubameyang and despite the last 2 games ending his return a game stat, I think he’ll be back on the wagon this weekend in a big way.

The good thing for me with that Arsenal risk is that it’s easily managed. Saka is the 4.5 midfielder that you don’t ordinarily even expect to play and Aubameyang is so easy to move on if Lacazette starts to hinder him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Having read that I think I may do Hayden to saka now as my FT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I'm confused. You guys think Auba is more at risk than Saka?

And it'll be Pepe Auba/Lacazette Saka in the front 3 or have I read it completely wrong?

I'm confused. You guys think Auba is more at risk than Saka?

And it'll be Pepe Auba/Lacazette Saka in the front 3 or have I read it completely wrong?

My interpretation was that Lacazette was the one most at risk. Actually possibly no less than Saka, but Saka is a 4.5 million risk is a whole different kind of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

My interpretation was that Lacazette was the one most at risk. Actually possibly no less than Saka, but Saka is a 4.5 million risk is a whole different kind of risk.

After how they lined up tonight you could be right.
    I'm now tempted to change Guendozi to Saka as my bench player.

I’m wildcarding also

Looking a lot like

Roberto Gazzaniga
    Aubameyang Vardy Abraham

If that’s your only concern then go for the second option.

Both are 100% guaranteed to start.

First option is a gamble.

On WC you need to be putting yourself into the position of carrying that first FT if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Klopparama I've concerns with captaincy in the squads your considering.

You've done (well?) above average with the armband so far.
    I understand your thought process/have more fun but Mendy back boosts Sterling's prospects imo.

Up to now you've had Aguero so avoided any Sterling captain disappointments and even last week you tried Wilson over Sterling but his ceiling is higher than KDB.

I wouldn't pick Cantwell as fifth mid (even if he drops to 4.8). Hernandez is returning (8G 10A in last season's championship) Go with a 4.4M and put your defenders first on the bench.

Klopparama I've concerns with captaincy in the squads your considering.

You've done (well?) above average with the armband so far.
    I understand your thought process/have more fun but Mendy back boosts Sterling's prospects imo.

Up to now you've had Aguero so avoided any Sterling captain disappointments and even last week you tried Wilson over Sterling but his ceiling is higher than KDB.

I wouldn't pick Cantwell as fifth mid (even if he drops to 4.8). Hernandez is returning (8G 10A in last season's championship) Go with a 4.4M and put your defenders first on the bench.

That’s a good call ElTel.

Up until now I’ve had Sterling, Salah and Aguero.

Looking at my team now I don’t see even one obvious captain.

I’ve been seeing that truth but also ignoring it because I’m focused on doing something different.

I did know Cantwell was holding someone’s place in the team but didn’t realise he was near a return.

So maybe 3-5-2 with David Silva will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Took a hit last night. Chilwell and Vardy in for Ota and Haller. 0.9M itb

Ryan
    Chilwelli TAA Tomori
    Sterling KDB Mane Mount
    Wood King Vardy
    Button Saka Rico Gibson

Finding it hard to commit to the WC.
    My changes would only be on the fringes really and Tomori.
    It might be better to wait and see if Spurs and Arsenal assets become viable in the next two gameweeks.

Ryan
    Chilwelli TAA Tomori
    Sterling KDB Mane Mount
    Wood King Vardy
    Button Saka Rico Gibson

It might be better to wait and see if Spurs and Arsenal assets become viable in the next two gameweeks.

The only area of that side I'd look at is Wood and King. Debatable whether a WC is worth it. Tomori is not a fire that has to be put out right away.

Who else are you thinking of bringing in ? Will the value be going up this week and price you out ?

Ryan
    Chilwelli TAA Tomori
    Sterling KDB Mane Mount
    Wood King Vardy
    Button Saka Rico Gibson

That would be a mad WC imo.

You’ve only King and Wood to worry about.

Even then Wood could be back next GW.

Most that own Tomori will play him so just keep playing him.

The GW after an international break is a good time to WC.

You need to leave here now and don’t come back for at least 3-4 weeks.

Monitoring Arsenal and Spurs is a good idea. I’d like to have one from each but only Lacazette interests me and I’m willing to wait and see him fully match fit and nailed on to start before I buy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ryan
    Chilwelli TAA Tomori
    Sterling KDB Mane Mount
    Wood King Vardy
    Button Saka Rico Gibson

Don’t

Advertisement