Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How much would it cost to upgrade the transformer?

The transformer costs around €20
    Add to that the call out fee for the electrician (maybe €50) and even though it should only take 20 minutes most would charge for a minimum of 1 hour (maybe €40).

For the record although I am an electrician by trade I don’t do this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Will a Garo 24v doorbell transformer be ok for the doorbell, switching out from an 8v

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes, it's what we have. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

when someone rings the doorbell it use to show automatically on my nest hub, that has stopped now. It still announces that someone is at the door but doesn't automatically show the nest doorbell on the hub anymore.

Anyone ever have this issue? Both signed into the same Google account. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Can anyone suggest where to source a 16 or 24 volt mechanical chime / bell as my transformer will be at that level ? Existing bell is 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the transformer is what needs to be changed rather than the chime itself, I got the transformer in Screwfix

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the transformer is what needs to be changed rather than the chime itself, I got the transformer in Screwfix

My existing transformer is 8v as is the bell. From reading this thread I need a 16 or 24 v transformer for the Nest, which then means I need to change the bell I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

towger wrote: »
    My existing transformer is 8v as is the bell. From reading this thread I need a 16 or 24 v transformer for the Nest, which then means I need to change the bell I think.

Just the transformer I'd say, I'd the exact same setup as you and changing the transformer is all I needed to do.

Personally, i think if I'd to go through the hassle of changing the chime i wouldn't bother as the notifications on phone and speakers is more than enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the bell remains in circuit it must be rated for the applied voltage (24V)

Having said that I removed my doorbell as my Google Homes became my doorbell when I installed my Nest Hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I just changed the transformer, not the chime. It has worked well for over two years.

I got it on Amazon.co.uk

There are plenty of others.

R

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-1a-bell-transformer/716hk?_requestid=150329

That'll do the trick for you. If you are getting a buzz make sure you don't have a delay in the electric chime, this will keep the transformer active and might give a buzz

That's the 1 I got if you have a Screwfix locally

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Ring doorbell Pro kit with chime and transformer is 179 pounds on Amazon at moment and 239 in Harvey Norman....I presume that's the one with a chime because where you can stuff to order it asks if you want to add chime for 29? Has anyone bought this kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Ring doorbell Pro kit with chime and transformer is 179 pounds on Amazon at moment and 239 in Harvey Norman....I presume that's the one with a chime because where you can stuff to order it asks if you want to add chime for 29? Has anyone bought this kit?

Only realised i put this on wrong forum,doh....

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Has anyone got a better wedge for the Nest Hello. The included 15 degree one is ok but I could do with more as the doorbell in perpendicular to the door so I’m seeing the opposite wall of the porch and a lot of my neighbour’s garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

nialldinho wrote: »
    Has anyone got a better wedge for the Nest Hello. The included 15 degree one is ok but I could do with more as the doorbell in perpendicular to the door so I’m seeing the opposite wall of the porch and a lot of my neighbour’s garden!

Search for "nest doorbell wedge" on Amazon.co.uk. Lot's of after market options there.

nialldinho wrote: »

Something like this???

Thanks both.

I need horizontal tilt rather than vertical.

I had been looking on amazon alright but couldn’t find much with good reviews.

I’ll keep looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I have that mount & it's quite decent quality. I don't like the shape of the Nest Aware though. It lends itself to being ripped off the wall. Opposed to the Ring which is a flat mount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Apologies if it's been asked but I'm trying to source a 24V chime. Has anyone found one to use with this or would a 12V chime work with the 24 V transformer.

I got mine in Screwfix

I got mine from Eurosales in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

OU812 wrote: »
    I have that mount & it's quite decent quality. I don't like the shape of the Nest Aware though. It lends itself to being ripped off the wall. Opposed to the Ring which is a flat mount.

I agree, I need to remount mine with more of an angle with a wedge like that Amazon one but jaysus it's fugly looking!

Apologies if it's been asked but I'm trying to source a 24V chime. Has anyone found one to use with this or would a 12V chime work with the 24 V transformer.

A 12 volt chime is not rated for more than 12 volts.
    Therefore it should not be connected to a 24 volt supply.

2011 wrote: »
    A 12 volt chime is not rated for more than 12 volts.
    Therefore it should not be connected to a 24 volt supply.

Yes that makes absolute sense. Where can i source a 24V chime?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

You might struggle..woodies do a stock of chimes..I thinks ours is rated 16v and had been working two years no issues

You might struggle..woodies do a stock of chimes..I thinks ours is rated 16v and had been working two years no issues

Do you mind if I ask what model you got and where ?

I decided not to bother with a chime. When someone presses the Nest Hello all of my Google Homes announce the event.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I decided not to bother with a chime. When someone presses the Nest Hello all of my Google Homes announce the event.

Yes I have a google home also. I'm just thinking of those rare times when the WIFI goes down.

Advertisement