Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Funnily enough, if you're on the full site on your mobile (Android phone, Firefox browser) but do not select "desktop site", the search works and there are no 503 messages. Anywhere else, and it's 503 galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't even login on desktop. 503 error.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi everyone, apologies for the disruption and inconvenience, but we are aware of some issues impacting search and login that are producing 503 errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

still showing:

Unfortunately the backend returned an error and could not fulfill this request. Please try again or return to the homepage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

still showing:

Unfortunately the backend returned an error and could not fulfill this request. Please try again or return to the homepage.

Same today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any solution to 503 error on log in yet folks? Asking for a friend who cleared her browser and has been unable to log in since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Still ongoing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any solution to 503 error on log in yet folks? Asking for a friend who cleared her browser and has been unable to log in since.

I'm another who can't log in.

Eventually everyone is going to get locked out by cookies or because the software log in request gets triggered by a separate bug. Then boards dies. Or they fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, can't log in on my PC because of the 503 error, luckily my laptop is still logged in. But when my browser updates I'm screwed if this isn't fixed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm getting 503 errors when doing the following

1. General search (It works ok when selecting a forum)
    2. Searching within a thread/forum.
    3. Going to a profile(including my own) and viewing posts/threads by that user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I can't log in chrome, 503 error

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's been going on for a few days now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

branie2 wrote: »
    It's been going on for a few days now

It’s been going on for a few months now. Search is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I can't log in on my computer at all. 503 Errors. Tried multiple browsers. On the phone which is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is anyone from boards even going to address this issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Is anyone from boards even going to address this issue??

Hopefully someone is working on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hopefully we'll hear something during office hours tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

503 issue when searching etc
    But
    By far the most annoying issue is one that started around a month ago.
    I keep getting daily email notifications for any of my existing threads that i reply to. It seems to change subscription back to daily emails automatically. Really really annoying.

I have just double checked now. All subscriptions including this one are set to no email notifications. Will update in morning if I get one at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Haven't been able to log on on desktop for two days. Only works if you're already logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Third or fourth day that I can't log in on browser. My phone has stayed logged in, luckily.

Is anyone capable going to look at this soon?

• Advertisement

Yeah, same here. Logged in on mobile-only. Amateur hour stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Amateur hour stuff.

Completely. It's Ireland's busiest forum by far

Reading between the lines:
    • I'm guessing all the latest surge of Covid forum traffic has used up all the site's RAM (is online RAM a thing?) or similar
    • To compensate this, and to stop the forum from falling over, search and mobile login had to be switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Three threads on this topic running on different forums, maybe they should be merged and pinned and given a banner link for a while.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Completely. It's Ireland's busiest forum by far

Reading between the lines:
    • I'm guessing all the latest surge of Covid forum traffic has used up all the site's RAM (is online RAM a thing?) or similar
    • To compensate this, and to stop the forum from falling over, search and mobile login had to be switched off

Yeah, ram is huge when it comes to sites.

I think it's their host. They're always talking about upgrades and stuff. I use DigitalOcean primarily for sites and never encounter anything like this.

Never any actual updates it feels like either. It's like there's one IT guy who can't be arsed. I'd be up all night fixing a log in issue. It's absurd to leave it like this for multiple hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I think it's their host

They use Black Knight hosting I think?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They use Black Knight hosting I think?

Thought it was digiweb or something. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

looking across boards for threads and thanks, I would hazard a guess that site traffic has considerably fallen. Are there plans to fix the 503 errors ? I can log in via laptop only but all mobile connections fail with 503 on login. I know its the weekend, but the last major outage was also a weekend. Does anyone in IT get employed on a weekend ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

HURRAY!! We can log back in and 503s fixed in the search!! \o/
    Thanks guys. :)

Boards.ie Employee

Morning all,

Sorry for the disruption (and inconvenience over the last couple of days). Normal service should be resumed now!

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

km79 wrote: »
    503 issue when searching etc
    But
    By far the most annoying issue is one that started around a month ago.
    I keep getting daily email notifications for any of my existing threads that i reply to. It seems to change subscription back to daily emails automatically. Really really annoying.

I have just double checked now. All subscriptions including this one are set to no email notifications. Will update in morning if I get one at midnight.

Hi km79,

Did you receive any unexpected and unwanted email notifications?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement