Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nice to see it working again

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hi km79,

Did you receive any unexpected and unwanted email notifications?

No actually
    First time in 2 months
    I’ll update thread if it happens again
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remind me to never log out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I miss the responsive site tbh. It was a much more modern experience. I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

Delighted its back working again :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It feels like finding your house keys after you spent hours looking for them and not finding them while being locked outside.

I've said it before, but, I know, I know, I need to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

So we’ve established that no one is willing to pay for IT response outside of office hours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe they were waiting for a spare part to be delivered.........

New Home wrote: »
    Maybe they were waiting for a spare part to be delivered.........
    Their support contract is 9-5 mon-fri more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So many long lasting issues with the site. Can make using it very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin: a friendly reminder that you must have 100 posts on the site and have been a registered member for at least 3 months to post in feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Question that I don't think warrants a new thread...

When I use the Touch site on the phone and click on a thread I've previously viewed, it goes to my last viewed page as expected - but when I click a link on the full site/Desktop version (W10/Chrome), it starts at page 1.

Is this an ad blocker thing on my machine, or something others experience too?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

When I use the Touch site on the phone and click on a thread I've previously viewed, it goes to my last viewed page as expected - but when I click a link on the full site/Desktop version (W10/Chrome), it starts at page 1.

After 15 years of this, I realised a few months ago that you have to click the little icon next to the thread starter's name underneath, not latest poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I get something similar. When on Touch and a followed thread which hasn't been posted in for a while, like 2 weeks or so, has a new post, Touch takes me to the first post of the thread rather than the first new post. The Legacy site takes me to the first new post every time, though.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As Ads by Google says, the little icon on the full site beside the thread starter's handle title goes to first unread. It only appears for threads that have unread posts. Clunky but I didn't build it.

It looks like this: firstnew.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I get something similar. When on Touch and a followed thread which hasn't been posted in for a while, like 2 weeks or so, has a new post, Touch takes me to the first post of the thread rather than the first new post. The Legacy site takes me to the first new post every time, though.

I think that's because it doesn't store the last read position of the thread for more than 2 weeks. On the legacy site, if it doesn't find the last read location, it just takes you to the oldest post in the past 2 weeks. On the touch site it will take you to the first post of the thread. You can test it out by going to a forum you never use and clicking on a thread you definitely have not viewed before. The desktop site will still bring you to a post from 2 weeks ago.

I reported this years back and was told that the behaviour on the touch was intentional and not a bug. Personally, I think the behaviour should be consistent across the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mystery solved :) Will try and remember that in future so - thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Once again the site is barely useable today. Extreme page load times, partia loads only, timeouts etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Error 520 Ray ID: 5a2a2529dd050838 • 2020-06-13 07:37:20 UTC
    Web server is returning an unknown error

Seems to be an hour out of sync on the Cloudflare error too- thats from a minute ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mentioned before but the touch site frequently doesnt load the last post or two of threads
    You see that theres a new post but clicking on it brings you to the previous one
    No sign of the new post
    Even if it's your post,once its posted you go back to the previous post as if you didn't post
    You can see the post if you switch to the full site
    The full site is a pain in the hole on a phone

Is this going to be fixed,its all the time nearly now when a thread switches to a new page
    You wont see the new page untill theres a 2nd or 3rd new post on it
    Impossible to follow threads in these circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,364 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems to be an hour out of sync on the Cloudflare error too- thats from a minute ago.

Because we're in summer time (Irish Standard Time) = UTC+1 = GMT+1

0737UTC = 0837IST

In winter our official time is GMT which to all intents and purposes is the same as UTC.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Because we're in summer time (Irish Standard Time) = UTC+1 = GMT+1

0737UTC = 0837IST

In winter our official time is GMT which to all intents and purposes is the same as UTC.

Regardless- it seems to have been resolved.
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s extremely slow to load the site for me. Not happening on any other site so it’s not my connection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

feels like half the hamsters have gone for a kip.

I just triple yellow-carded someone as a result :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Mentioned before but the touch site frequently doesnt load the last post or two of threads
    You see that theres a new post but clicking on it brings you to the previous one
    No sign of the new post
    Even if it's your post,once its posted you go back to the previous post as if you didn't post
    You can see the post if you switch to the full site
    The full site is a pain in the hole on a phone

Is this going to be fixed,its all the time nearly now when a thread switches to a new page
    You wont see the new page untill theres a 2nd or 3rd new post on it
    Impossible to follow threads in these circumstances
    Yep I've seen lots of this. The forum will show the thread with your post unread but takes you back to the next most recent page if your unread post is the 1st new post on a new page. I've tested a 'bump' post that will fix it but iirc deleting the bump returns the problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Slow, browser loading lite version plus a few brief 503 events..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Suspect we'll have to await the office staff returning in the morning to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would you not just rebuild the site? It's obviously build on outdated technologies.

A Node/React application using AWS to scale up would work wonders.

• Advertisement

Would you not just rebuild the site? It's obviously build on outdated technologies.

A Node/React application using AWS to scale up would work wonders.

I wrote 13 lines of JS for them that fixed the search functionality so that it remembered the forum / user / thread of the current search instead of it being a brand new search when you changed the search term.. And that was too much to get added. Don't think they're going to do a full rebuild.

I'd be perfectly happy if they just migrated over to Discourse. Other sites I'm on use it and it's great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement