Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Wind really blowing here now - interpsersed with heavy hail.

I said it earlier on another thread, the wind tonight has a very angry menacing tone to it, even at this stage. And I don't say that lightly, I have rarely heard it like this before, it sounds different... like very heavy deep sounding wind; booming thunder and a roaring ocean rolled into one angry bastard hell-bent on destruction and mayhem. There is a badness about it.

I fear this will be a Biggie and a Baddie - be extremely careful out there folks, keep safe in the coming hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

just had a brief power cut here in louisburgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    like very heavy deep sounding wind; booming thunder
    Anything like my moaning ghost wind from last year? I know exactly what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wind really blowing here now - interpsersed with heavy hail.

I said it earlier on another thread, the wind tonight has a very angry menacing tone to it, even at this stage. And I don't say that lightly, I have rarely heard it like this before, it sounds different... like very heavy deep sounding wind; booming thunder and a roaring ocean rolled into one angry bastard hell-bent on destruction and mayhem. There is a badness about it.

I fear this will be a Biggie and a Baddie - be extremely careful out there folks, keep safe in the coming hours.

I had same feeling omg:eek::pac:
    I just heard a can violently flying down the alleyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Spot on its exactly 977 mb in Naas. My online station is just outside Naas www.killvillage-weather.com

Bookmarked! That's my hometown:D

• Advertisement

An excellent animation showing low pressure systems to our nw and the showers winding up to our west and swinging anticlockwise toward us.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Takes 30 secs to load or longer depending on your ISP

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Anything like my moaning ghost wind from last year? I know exactly what you mean.

Worse than that I fear.

Seriously Wolfe, it has a different sound about it tonight - I can't put my finger upon it, it just sounds very nasty compared to usual heavy wind and storms. Maybe it is carrying the sound of a very rough Atlantic in it or something?

Perhaps Imbacklater could confirm from Louisburg way? It sounds bad enough here in Westport?

Worse than that I fear.

Your description matches exactly what I heard last winter. In fact, I was told that aside from the wind the low, constant, rumbling noise I heard was the sea being churned up and the sounds echoing off hills to where I am 10 miles inland.

A very odd and ominous sound. A night for the earplugs and eye mask. Make sure you have your shotgun at the front door in case a thick seafog descends on Westport.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrwVWJ3K-udWLA1GLu_LNXUgDgXb_dmPVfG_sd_sq806ZOsH1FblhXoOV5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its not to far away from 2355 so lets head over to Met Eireann on Radio 1 for the latest....

yup i'd agree ,its making that really erie noise between the telephone poles.

gone quiet now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Forgive me if I am posting this question in the wrong place. I am a long time lurker, to this forum but I have only posted once or twice. Mostly I just spend lots of my time watching weather documentaries, so this forum compliments that nicely!

Anyway, I am in South Dublin at the minute, studying furiously for an exam. I was wondering if this storm is coming anywhere near here during the night, and if so, would it be sufficiently bad enough to cause a power cut..I need to make contingency plans for having some light, by which to study! Thanks, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wind finally picking up here but nothing unusual yet.

Highly unlikely that the wind will be strong enough to result in a power cut in Dublin overnight. Thunderstorms are unlikely to reach the east coast before morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Remembering last years 'ghost wind' Had forgotten about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Thank you very much :) Greatly appreciated! I can relax now. I was worried as the local centra has started selling hurricane lamps yesterday, and I thought they might know something I didn't know :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Only a light breeze in Naas here atm. www.naasweather.com

Your description matches exactly what I heard last winter. In fact, I was told that aside from the wind the low, constant, rumbling noise I heard was the sea being churned up and the sounds echoing off hills to where I am 10 miles inland.

A very odd and ominous sound. A night for the earplugs and eye mask. Make sure you have your shotgun at the front door in case a thick seafog descends on Westport.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrwVWJ3K-udWLA1GLu_LNXUgDgXb_dmPVfG_sd_sq806ZOsH1FblhXoOV5

How did you know that a thick fog was drifting in from the sea? There seems to be a lot of people walking out in it, clothes torn and dripping, one has a fish in his pocket.... ****TTTTT :eek:

How did you know that a thick fog was drifting in from the sea? There seems to be a lot of people walking out in it, clothes torn and dripping, one has a fish in his pocket.... ****TTTTT :eek:
    Mayo West Fianna Fail canvassers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sferics being picked up along the west coast alright:

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

Looking out for flickering here but no joy yet.

Mayo West Fianna Fail canvassers

Stag do from Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Its not to far away from 2355 so lets head over to Met Eireann on Radio 1 for the latest....
    and they said? Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DE you must be in your element with all this weather coming at you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i thought i heard thunder a few minutes ago, could have been the beans i had earlier though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

UPC TV signal here in Dublin was flickering like mad for a while, but seems to have settled down in last half hour. Thought it might be to with the weather, wind or lightening somewhere, as it doesn't usually do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

and they said? Oscar

snow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

delw wrote: »
    DE you must be in your element with all this weather coming at you :D

That's the problem Delw, it's always coming, but never actually arrives! :D Stuck between a rock and a hard place here, or as Nacho would eloquently say, 'the 9th circle of hell' !

its becoming extremely windy now in louisburgh!!!
    id stick mt cam out but its making flashes of lightning...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Askmoby.com giving hurricane level wave heights off the coast, 15m waves...not for the faint hearted.

http://www.askmoby.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

"Blizzard like conditions during the showers in the NW/N espically before and after dark"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

OwenM wrote: »
    Askmoby.com giving hurricane level wave heights off the coast, 15m waves...not for the faint hearted.

http://www.askmoby.com

ME were giving warnings for violent storm force 11 winds off the coasts just now, I wouldn't like to be out on the sea tonight!

Advertisement