Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

trogdor wrote: »
    Seems to have calmed a bit here now, rain is lighter and only gusting to 40km/hr, cold front must have passed through because the temperature is plummeting, down more than 3C in the last hour from 10.4C to 7.3C and is still dropping fast. The real action hasn't really got going yet though (not that the worst of it will be on this coast).

Same here in Waterford temperature has dropped rapidly in the past hour from 10.7c to 7.6c and the majority of that drop was in the past 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Currently in Naas it has stopped raining and it is calm and the temperature is 6.8c. The pressure is dropping like a stone and it is currently 962. It was 966 10 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Seems to have calmed a bit here now, rain is lighter and only gusting to 40km/hr, cold front must have passed through because the temperature is plummeting, down more than 3C in the last hour from 10.4C to 7.3C and is still dropping fast. The real action hasn't really got going yet though (not that the worst of it will be on this coast).

Quite warm here still (sorry, have no way of reading temp) with a light drizzle. We normally get winds here when everyone else gets a breeze so this is going to be interesting. Am waiting in anticipation.

Btw, Long time lurker that checks here religiously every morning before work & every night before bed for the past 2 years.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Could people put their location on the first line of their posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lucreto wrote: »
    Currently in Naas it has stopped raining and it is calm. The pressure is dropping like a stone and it is currently 962. It was 966 10 minutes ago.

That reading may be a bit off, the latest surface analysis chart would put you a few hundred kilometers out into the atlantic with a reading of 962hpa. Steady-ish at around 977hpa here (having leveled off at about 9 this evening after a big drop).
    http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?lang=en&map=NEurope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well after watching the beeb forecast i'm confident of 2 things happening,

1) Widespread sleet and snow showers tomorrow with a risk of prolonged snow in the South on Wed.
    2) The UKMO has the correct handle on this storm and the gfs and ECM are miles out on it's final track.

The beeb are very confident of this storm being a big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Eerily quite here in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

rhonin wrote: »

The calm before the storm:D

....and the hail,sleet,snow and thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Hooter23 wrote: »
    rhonin wrote: »

The calm before the storm:D
    Looks that way! Pressure has dropped quick in the last 3-6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

not calm at all here on coast outside tralee...wind howling around house...have moved car away from trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Wind very calm at present only 7 km/h with gusts of 14km/h, pressure down to 974hPa, temp down 2˚c in last 40 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well, provided Mr Mountains lands safely in Shannon on Thursday morning early. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Well, provided Mr Mountains lands safely in Shannon on Thursday morning early. :cool:

FTFY

andrew wrote: »

Thanks how the hell do you do it ? been trying to tweek it still fail !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The beeb are very confident of this storm being a big one!

Yeah - but do they mean the South of the UK which might mean it still missing us:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

That reading may be a bit off, the latest surface analysis chart would put you a few hundred kilometers out into the atlantic with a reading of 962hpa. Steady-ish at around 977hpa here (having leveled off at about 9 this evening after a big drop).

Might be right. It is sitting in my hall and it might be giving a false reading as I have to tap it now and then to get a more accurate reading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Thanks how the hell do you do it ? been trying to tweek it still fail !

You only put the letters after the = sign (in the video URL) between the

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Spot on its exactly 977 mb in Naas. My online station is just outside Naas www.killvillage-weather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Wind has just started to pick up here in Ennis over the past 10min or so from nothing to noisy gusts. I really hope this storm isn't as bad as they are predicting...i hate the wind :(

Merci beaucoup Andrew.

Here in Waterford it is going through a quiet phase after strong gusts, nothing worse than what we've had all week though. Very heavy rains today though, a few crashes this morning with light black ice, so hoping it won't freeze over because tomorrow might well be worse crash-wise with the amount of surface water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Heavy hail/sleet shower here
    Temp 4.4 and dropping

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - but do they mean the South of the UK which might mean it still missing us:confused:

We havnt got a definite track on the storm yet which means we still have a chance at a big storm and if the storm develops early enough that usually makes them go futher northward we think:pac:

I dont know why they said they were "very confident" of a big storm as there still is a lot of doubt :confused:they must have more information or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Very still here in Lucan in Dublin at the moment. Wind has dropped completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Looks like wind building now from SW, bouys off Cork & Waterford coast recording wind speeds of 57km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Temp in south kerry has dropped considerably in the last few hours. Was around 9-10 degrees a couple of hours ago. Down at 5.2 now. Some heavy hail showers here too lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

Thunder and lightning in Ballina, Co mayo. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Pressure is 972 according to my fone here in sligo.

shaca wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning in Ballina, Co mayo. :eek:

Yes strikes in that area more near south donegal check it out link below

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

mel.b wrote: »
    Wind has just started to pick up here in Ennis over the past 10min or so from nothing to noisy gusts. I really hope this storm isn't as bad as they are predicting...i hate the wind :(

Its beginning to get noisy here in Limerick too. I hope it isn't as strong either. I'm very scared of the wind and can't avoid going to work tomorrow unfortunately... :( Otherwise I'd be stuck in a windowless area of the house with a duvet over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Showers getting their act togeter now,after the Thunder and Lightning in Castlebar its now Heavy Hail shower.

Advertisement