Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Disappointing cookie cutter marvelesque crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was reading some article on Facebook yesterday about one of the episodes, and the top liked comment was basically "this season is the best by far, so epic, so much improved compared to that turgid, soap opera crap in the earlier seasons". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was reading some article on Facebook yesterday about one of the episodes, and the top liked comment was basically "this season is the best by far, so epic, so much improved compared to that turgid, soap opera crap in the earlier seasons". :(
    Different strokes for different folks. If people had not embraced the "crap soap opera" in such large numbers it might not have lasted long enough to be " so epic".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

It’s very rushed and the conclusion to Cersei and the night king storylines was bad really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The most ridiculous thing of all is 370,000 people have signed a petition to have season 8 remade.

Sorry world, its sh1t and its gonna stay sh1t.

• Advertisement

Some people are over-invested in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some people are over-invested in it!

I suppose it's testament to how great modern life is for a lot of people :o, fantasy is very appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Keyzer wrote: »
    The most ridiculous thing of all is 370,000 people have signed a petition to have season 8 remade.

Hahaha, that's fúcking ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm gutted and incredibly pissed off at Benioff and Weiss. I've been invested in A Song of Ice and Fire for over a decade. I was one of the sad sacks that turned up to a midnight release of A Dance with Dragons and took holidays from work to read it the next day.

I was thrilled when HBO announced they were going to make it into a series and that GRRM was involved (he even wrote a few episodes in early seasons). I've probably watched the first season 5 or 6 times at this stage (doing re-watches before each season came out)

The quality of the writing has been on a downward curve since Season 5 and, at first, I accepted a lot of the short-cuts seeing them as the necessary evils required to bring a story written to be unfilmable to the screen (ASOIAF was, after all, literally born out of GRRM's frustration with show-runners telling him the budget couldn't stretch to the scale of his first drafts of episodes he was writing for their shows). The plummet in the quality of writing when the show is at it's most successful, and when HBO were only too happy to fund a few extra seasons is galling though.

Benioff & Weiss had the Star Wars trilogy dangled in front of them and abandoned the show that should have been their masterpiece. Instead of doing the decent thing and handing it over to new show-runners who would take the time to conclude it properly, they decided to give us the cliff notes version of the story's ending, forgot all sense of internal consistency and ruined it. They were perfectly capable of finishing this series well. They chose not to and I'll never forgive them for it.

Edit: I honestly feel sorriest for the Cast and Crew. They've done stirling work and the show looks amazing. It's become style over substance.

I echo this in its entirety.

Season 8 has literally been cliff notes of what the end of the story was supposed to be.

I better see a wolf in the last ****ing episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

GOT was essentially a soap opera in early seasons (that's not a criticism by the way). Characters were developed and story-lines weren't rushed. Trying to finish such a complex story with multifaceted arcs in one season is like trying to wind up every story-line in Eastenders over the course of a week. It can't be done unless the quality of the story telling goes out the window and complex story lines are wrapped in a a few minutes.
    But the elephants? What about the elephants? What would and could they have done? Sadly we will never know.....

The fact that they never brought the elephants was more a reflection of the CGI budget rather than the Golden Companys one :D

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    I suppose it's testament to how great modern life is for a lot of people :o, fantasy is very appealing.
    I think it's more a case of finding a whole lot of people who think like me makes feel good about myself. Get out in the light and you'll feel better!

But the elephants? What about the elephants? What would and could they have done? Sadly we will never know.....
    I think they'll launch a sneak attack. They are hiding in the bits that Dany missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

So what have we learned so far?
    • They're not actually discussing military strategy around that map, they're just playing with the figures.
    • Air support is not needed, send the cavalry in with one round of artillery.
    • Sleeping on a big pile of wights will get you through the battle.
    • White Walkers will ignore a small girl pole-vaulting towards their king.
    • Ice Dragons are powered by butane and produce low powered blue flame.
    • You can hide an entire fleet from a dragon air patrol by keeping slightly behind an island.
    • Ballistae can fire with high accuracy around corners from said cover.
    • Only Drogon can dodge.
    • Northmen can march really quickly.
    • When Dany finally snaps, she doesn't charge straight at her hated enemy, instead she will spend a good hour roasting innocents.
    • Any character who spends time in Danny's company becomes more stupid. Even Tyrion and Varys.
    • Don't listen to Arya when you've found a place to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^ It's a fantasy TV show ffs, relax and enjoy it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Just announced George is finally releasing the the next book.

Apparently he agonized over all 200 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

when im watching the show i enjoy it.

when i start to think of there decisions for night king, cearsi and danys descent into madness its not great. everything is just so rushed.

but the a lot of the reaction to it is so over the top like you didnt like it i think thats fair enough but petitions are embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll give those signing the petition the benefit of the doubt that they know full well it'll never happen, they're just looking to embarrass Benioff & Weiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Wailin wrote: »
    ^^^ It's a fantasy TV show ffs, relax and enjoy it for what it is.

That's the whole problem, I can't enjoy it because there is no internal consistency, the quality has dropped and the whole thing feels like they just wanted it off their desks.

Even though it's a "fantasy TV show" it should be consistent within its own universe.

What if your favourite team played spectacularly all season, then in the final few games sent out a bunch of guys they found in the street? Would you still enjoy those games?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gulliver wrote: »
    What if your favourite team played spectacularly all season, then in the final few games sent out a bunch of guys they found in the street? Would you still enjoy those games?

Don't bring Leeds into this please I'm still tender

(We still had a better season than GoT)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'll give those signing the petition the benefit of the doubt that they know full well it'll never happen, they're just looking to embarrass Benioff & Weiss

You couldn't possibly be that naive???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You couldn't possibly be that naive???

You seriously think they will actually remake the last season? No. Ain't gonna happen. Logistically it would take 5-6 years. Most of the cast and crew are on to other things already. Put it this way: I will personally pay for it if it does :D

Anyway, to the OP.

It's not nearly as bad as people are making out. However it was not nearly on a par with Season 1-4.

The problem was the pacing. 6 episodes was always a ridiculous decision and I cannot understand why HBO agreed to it. Surely HBO would have preferred a full 10 episode season or even another season to wrap things up.

Sure, the more "realistic" elements gave way to more fantastical elements this season: Dragons, Ice zombies, Terminator bodybuards etc. But it ALWAYS had been a fantastical series. It's not a period drama. And some people prefer the political machinations of the early seasons (I know I loved them). But, by the last season, everything had to be in place.

The teleportation ability and instant communication seen in season 8 was already a huge problem in season 7.

The unwillingness to kill off main characters before the endgame was also fully apparent in season 7 but obvioulsy came to a head this season. No Red Wedding or Bealor episodes here.
    I'm not saying they should have killed off characters simply for shock value but the survival-rate of fan favourites did become crazy and illogical in season 7 and 8.

So, look, it's still fun TV and I'm still looking forward to the last episode but...

the decision to truncate the last season was a huge mistake. A mistake I believe HBO probably regret (But they'll get over it :) ). And their unwillingness to lose main characters removed any threat.

I mean I've read the books as they came out since book 2. I distinctly remember reading The Red Wedding and being totally shocked (Especially since it happened only 1/2 way through the book).

But, in the last book I never once thought Jon was dead and I didn't believe for a moment that The Hound was dead.

Anyway, tldr: Not as bad as people are making out. It's fun but it has lost its edge and pacing was a SERIOUS issue.

I don't believe their spinoffs will amount to much as, by the time they come out, people will have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's like doing a leaving cert exam.

Ideally you allocate appropriate amounts of time to each question in the 3 hours you have.

Section A and B are worth 40% each and Section C which is mandatory is 20%.
    You think (1hr 15m for A & B, leaving 30 minutes for C)
    Your teacher was brilliant and you love the subject.

You open the exam paper and section A and B are perfect, exactly what you'd anticipated.
    Section C looks dodgy, you're not so sure how to approach answering it as the teacher never covered it but as you love the subject you have a reasonable idea of what the answers are.

To make up for that ambiguity in Section C you end up devoting way too much time on section A and B, there's so much you can include in your written answers thanks to your teacher's brilliance and you try to include everything to get maximum marks but in doing so you look at the clock and realise you have 10 minutes for Section C, 20% of the overall marks, and not the 30 minutes you planned on.

You start to panic, you're already exhausted after the first two sections, your hand hurts and you include half ideas, half sentences and end up just writing furiously, throwing words at the page to try and make sense of the question in the limited time you have left hoping that the examiner will get the overall points you're trying to convey (badly).

In the end you check your paper after the results come out and see that you got a respectable 35% for sections A and B but only 10% for a muddled and rushed answer to section C, the examiner clearly realized that considering your fantastic answers to A & B that you got your timing all wrong and made a mess of Section C as a result.

You could (and if you planned it better, should) have gotten your A but you end up with a B overall ultimately making a mess of what was your favourite subject since starting secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

valoren wrote: »
    It's like doing a leaving cert exam.

Ideally you allocate equal amounts of time to each question in the 3 hours you have.

Section A and B are worth 40% each and Section C which is mandatory is 20%.
    You're teacher was brilliant and you love the subject.

You open the exam paper and section A and B are perfect, exactly what you'd anticipated.
    Section C looks dodgy and you're not so sure how to approach answering it.

To make up for the ambiguity of Section C you spend way too much time on section A and B, there's so much you can include in your written answers thanks to the teacher's brilliance, you try to include everything to get maximum marks but in doing so you look at the clock and realise you have 20 minutes for Section C, 20% of the overall marks.

You start to panic and include half ideas, half sentences, just writing furiously to try and make sense of the questions.
    In the end you check your paper after the results come out and see that you got 35% for sections A and B but only 5% for a muddled and rushed answer to section C.

You could have gotten an A1 if you managed your time better but you end up with a B1 overall instead.

absolutely nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Except that you could just put up your hand and request more time. In fact, the invigilator has already told you you could have more time. Hell, they'll even let you leave the room and do more study to make sure you get it right. But no, you wanna get out of there because you're in a hurry to get home and play with your lightsaber so you put any old ****e down because you simply don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The petition is nearly up to one million now. I signed it myself even though I realise it will never be made, just wanted to stick it to Benioff and Weiss a bit:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It's quite bad, however since I found out season 7 and 8 were to be short I fully expected it and haven't expected much of GoT since. I didn't enjoy season 7 as expected so I knew season 8 would suck more and feel rushed and out of place with the rest of the show. I'm surprised anyone had high expectations for this season. I'm watching it as a mild curiosity now. In season 4 I would have been fully invested in who were to sit on the iron throne, now I just don't care. I'm actually fully on board with some events of this season like Danny going Mad, Jamie having split loyalties, Arya killing the NK, but the route to them all has been so lazily written and rushed there's just no enjoyment in it, I may as well read a wiki entry on it. Actually I've had more enjoyment in the past reading wiki entries of historical events than I have watching this season.

Also the show was good because of sneaky f**ks like Varys and Little Finger and all the sub plots and how they may interact with the main plots in the present and future, but they are side characters and when you rush everything there's no time for any of that or intrigue and interpretation/theory. I would love it if the show ended with some mystery and unanswered questions (and bittersweet of course) but you just know Jon will Kill Danny, someone boring will be on the throne, Sansa will be fine, Arya will be off somewhere. At least Pod is still pleasing the honeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

I find it hard to believe how bad it has become. From the start of Season 7 onward nothing that happens feels like it has any substance, someone used the word 'hollow' earlier in the thread which I feel is pretty accurate.

Just finished watching the Battle of Winterfell, it begs the question...what was the point of the past 7 seasons? What was the point of the Night King? What was the point of half the characters? Not really bothered watching the last few episodes when there is no real coherence to anything that happens. And thats not to mention the poor writing/dialogue, cringy clinchés and gaping plotholes.

It's mad to think I couldn't give two ****s who ends up on the throne. I might go back and watch seasons 5, the one that I used to think was the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's mad to think I couldn't give two ****s who ends up on the throne. I might go back and watch seasons 5, the one that I used to think was the worst of the lot.

I'm on a rewatch. Season 5 is pretty good I think.
    Season 6 is really where it begins to go downhill rapidly. The resurrection of Jon Snow is the shark jump moment of the show IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I'm on a rewatch. Season 5 is pretty good I think.
    Season 6 is really where it begins to go downhill rapidly. The resurrection of Jon Snow is the shark jump moment of the show IMO.

I was okay with him being resurrected, but I think it could have been done better. I think that was the first time that D&D were doing something they knew that GRRM planned to do, but not exactly how he planned to do it.

The pieces had already been put into place. You saw resurrections by Red Priests before, we see Melisandre (who had been giving Jon Snow the eye) turn up. Boom, he's alive.

But there wasn't much explanation or discussion about the event... more like an embarrassed silence. "Well, that just happened" all the characters present seemed to be thinking, and then mention it as little as possible ever again. So later events, like the death of the Night King, happen in quite a similar, but quite amplified manner.

I mean there's a theory that the books will involve Jon Snow warging into Ghost as part of his survival process... I suppose we'll have to wait and see... the Direwolves were never important on the show, and I've felt the production team have actively tried to get rid of them.

Advertisement