Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

• 06-10-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just announced that Simon Pegg has joined the cast :( now that has just put me off this totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't one of the characters based on Simon Pegg?

Didn't recognise Karl Urban. At first I thought it was Dominic Cooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yep, Pegg is going to be playing that characters dad now.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Didn't recognise Karl Urban. At first I thought it was Dominic Cooper.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are behind this (they also do Cooper's Preacher)

Jack Quaid (the son of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid) reminds me of a young Michael Shannon :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Why the hate for Simon Pegg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't get the hate for Simon Pegg, one of the characters was literally based on him. Just hope they properly commit to it, and not half-ass it. DC Titans would be a good example of the tone this show needs.

Think was in the comics forum I was saying I just finished it recently and I don't think it'll be too loyal outside the premise.

Well that's a busy weekend for me. Veronica Mars out the same day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the hook here, beyond 'Superheroes go wild'? Just looks like a more mean-spirited version of The Tick, not sure about this one.

Basically Superheroes are d!cks and the Boys deal with any that get out of hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically Superheroes are d!cks and the Boys deal with any that get out of hand.

Yeah, I get the premise, just don't immediately see what the show wants to say, or what the hook will be - beyond the superficial r-rated gratuitousness they're obviously going for. Feels like we're hitting a plateau on the kind of narratives you can tell with costumed Superheroes.

Honestly it's a pretty refreshing narrative I would've said. I don't see how you could get the premise but fail to get the hook. It's exactly the hook. A group charged with protecting general society by ensuring super-heroes stay in line....and severely dealing with those that don't.

It's pretty much as original a take as any superhero concept going since the first Iron Man. The graphic novel is sort of split between its version of 'The Justice League' and 'The Boys' who generally keep the broader spectrum of superheroes in check, but inevitably it all gets muddled. It's really an incredible series.

It's about superheroes as real people (very flawed and normal people too; most certainly not shining beacons of virtue) who abuse or misuse their powers in a society effectively powerless to offer any consequences - whether irresponsibility, selfishly, for self-gain, even sometimes unwittingly, or whatever. The Boys are there to provide those consequences to varying degrees.

I can't really see how, as a premise, that's something that could be lumped in with the slew of existing identical concepts that define the current crop of superhero shows. Something like 'Hancock' also went again the grain a good few years ago but by and large, pretty much all superhero productions have been completely formulaic.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it but 'The Boys' as a concept is certainly not the same old schtick.

Hey, I have Amazon so I'll likely take a peek, tbh I think I'm just not sold on the tone of the thing; as I said it looks mean-spirited and splattery in a fashion that doesn't tick my boxes so everything else kinda falls out from that. I get what you say about the hook, but more I'm wondering what the show will do beyond the superficial gore & shock value: is it a more procedural show, serialized, that sort of thing, or more that kind of meandering, "shaggy dog" style of storytelling that a lot of streaming & prestige shows go for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure I want to watch that final trailer given how it's been getting very good reviews so far!

Karl Urbans "cockney" accent is ... rough. I presume the comic character is meant to be English.

• Advertisement

Season 1 has dropped.

Watched the first few episodes and I'm enjoying it.

However it feels to me like this season is a set up for next season.

I quite like Urban's over the top butchering of the accent especially with his name being Butcher.

Pretty cool so far.

Good story.

Spice girls.. LOL..

Wow! Episode 1! Sold!

Imma need to see
    some justice dispenced to these bad supers

Only one I really knew was in this was Urban. Didn't realise Sheriff Hood was Homelander.

Only one I really knew was in this was Urban. Didn't realise Sheriff Hood was Homelander.

No way? :eek:
    ( his wiki if anyone wants it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr )

I didn't even see it!

Ye that took me a while to work out Homelander was he looks completely different like he had a bit of work done to his face and it didn't go well.

Recognised our own Dominique McElligot and Elisabeth Shue the rest don't really look familiar to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Slydice wrote: »
    No way? eek.png
    ( his wiki if anyone wants it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr )

I didn't even see it!

It was wrecking my head every time Homelander was onscreen during episode one, that I had to Google the cast list to see what I recognised him from redface.png

As for "The Boys", I'm three episodes in and it's totally hooked me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah so wee Hughie is Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan's son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Havent been gripped by a series like this in a long long time.
    Excellent so far.

So Ethan and Uma's daughter in Stranger Things and Dennis and Meg's son in this. Who's next?

3 episodes down. Enjoying it.

Though think one thing from the comics I would've preferred would be
    Hughie joining a pretty much already formed group with Compound V. As it is, they seem to just be stumbling from one thing to another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'm a filthy pig who likes to eat ass :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just one episode in. Karl Urban doing a Del Toro with a cockney accent. Great to see Sheriff Hood back. Really enjoyed it. A good take on the genre. Have high hopes for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Loving it. Will tide me over between Legion episodes.

Seriously good show. I'm a huge fan of the graphic novel, and this is definitely one of the more faithful adaptations that really commits to the themes and tone of the source material....unlike something like Preacher, which is sort of OK in it's own right but very toned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

....unlike something like Preacher, which is sort of OK in it's own right but very toned down.

Ah thanks for the tip-off. I like the Preacher graphic novels but haven't checked out the show yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

One episode in... How f**king cool is Karl Urban. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Finished it earlier, it's enjoyable and all set up for a second series.

Finished it and really enjoyed it and I still by what I said earlier the whole season is a set up for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Finished the season and my god what a cracking show from start to finish. Roll on season two.

• Advertisement

1.2:
    Not sure how they've done it but just two episodes in and they've got the punisher for Supes feeling kinda sorted! I get the feeling many episodes will be spoilery. Maybe they are just getting a woah moment in though

Is every episode gonna have a hook to make you want to watch more?

1.3:
    So guessing this Edgar is like a Lex Luthor who corrupted the supes... and Homelander killed Becca?.. Butchers Wife?Girlfriend?Daughter?Sister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well... fantastic , humour, violence,hard subjects, not what I expected.

Spice Girls!

1.4:
    You know, I'm starting to suspect that Hughie isn't imagining things or maybe his imagination moments are some kinda of power.
    The Deep and the Dolphin!
    :eek:
    and the girl.. she ain't no spice girl but I get the feeling she'll join the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

finished it, pretty great

as fecked up as it is I feel they didn't go far enough into the depravity of the books
    also why did they hire an Irish actress to play an Irish super hero and then make her American?
    I wonder what their reasoning for not having the boys on Compound V is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I've tried graphic novels, but they weren't for me, so it's always interesting to see 'fanboy' takes on tv efforts; I had to give this a go based on the reviews so far. Generally, the superhero franchises have been more miss than hit for me; some ignored, mostly getting a few episodes watched, and occasionally with a series or two watched.
    This is a completely different kettle of fish. Every genre has some attempts at subverting that genre, and with regards to this inevitability, none have worked for me. Except this. I'm the first 2 episodes in at mo, and it's brilliant. It does remind me a bit of Preacher in it's attitude and tone (and just like that Garth Ennis product, the show has it's dud fake accent in Karl Urban- who has great presence, but whose fake accent is pretty atrocious). It manages to set it's stall out pretty quickly, and moves along at a great pace, deftly subverting expectations as it goes.
    So far, it's proper adult entertainment, pulling surprises without pulling it's punches. I only hope the ultra-violence in it doesn't mean the series descends into parody, rather than the plain old fashioned cynicism it's meant to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Absolutely loving this so far. I didn't think Umbrella Academy could be beaten as a dark (anti) superhero show but this is even better.

Have to say, Amazon may not churn out nearly as many shows as Netflix do but the quality is generally far higher, for almost half the price, and with a Prime subscription too.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Seen six so far and this is superb.

In tears laughing at the dolphin scene in episode 4 and Karl Urban's rant at the old guy at the religious festival in episode 5 :)

I did laugh at
    how random Billy Zane's appearances seemed. Tara Reid seemed about right though.

Only watched the premiere and certainly not sure this is for me; will give it a couple more episodes but at first blush the tone is too seedy & nihilistic for my blood. All shock, blood and hedonism without much of a voice behind it all. So basically like Preacher and as misanthropic as every other Garth Ennis work it seems. At least Game of Thrones' famous "sexposition" scenes served a narrative purpose.

The actual plot of Supers being corporate heroes for hire is a fantastic one, but (so far!) it's a deeply cynical, misterable watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement