Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

• 06-10-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just announced that Simon Pegg has joined the cast :( now that has just put me off this totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't one of the characters based on Simon Pegg?

Didn't recognise Karl Urban. At first I thought it was Dominic Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yep, Pegg is going to be playing that characters dad now.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Didn't recognise Karl Urban. At first I thought it was Dominic Cooper.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are behind this (they also do Cooper's Preacher)

Jack Quaid (the son of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid) reminds me of a young Michael Shannon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

Why the hate for Simon Pegg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't get the hate for Simon Pegg, one of the characters was literally based on him. Just hope they properly commit to it, and not half-ass it. DC Titans would be a good example of the tone this show needs.

Think was in the comics forum I was saying I just finished it recently and I don't think it'll be too loyal outside the premise.

Well that's a busy weekend for me. Veronica Mars out the same day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the hook here, beyond 'Superheroes go wild'? Just looks like a more mean-spirited version of The Tick, not sure about this one.

Basically Superheroes are d!cks and the Boys deal with any that get out of hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically Superheroes are d!cks and the Boys deal with any that get out of hand.

Yeah, I get the premise, just don't immediately see what the show wants to say, or what the hook will be - beyond the superficial r-rated gratuitousness they're obviously going for. Feels like we're hitting a plateau on the kind of narratives you can tell with costumed Superheroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly it's a pretty refreshing narrative I would've said. I don't see how you could get the premise but fail to get the hook. It's exactly the hook. A group charged with protecting general society by ensuring super-heroes stay in line....and severely dealing with those that don't.

It's pretty much as original a take as any superhero concept going since the first Iron Man. The graphic novel is sort of split between its version of 'The Justice League' and 'The Boys' who generally keep the broader spectrum of superheroes in check, but inevitably it all gets muddled. It's really an incredible series.

It's about superheroes as real people (very flawed and normal people too; most certainly not shining beacons of virtue) who abuse or misuse their powers in a society effectively powerless to offer any consequences - whether irresponsibility, selfishly, for self-gain, even sometimes unwittingly, or whatever. The Boys are there to provide those consequences to varying degrees.

I can't really see how, as a premise, that's something that could be lumped in with the slew of existing identical concepts that define the current crop of superhero shows. Something like 'Hancock' also went again the grain a good few years ago but by and large, pretty much all superhero productions have been completely formulaic.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it but 'The Boys' as a concept is certainly not the same old schtick.

Hey, I have Amazon so I'll likely take a peek, tbh I think I'm just not sold on the tone of the thing; as I said it looks mean-spirited and splattery in a fashion that doesn't tick my boxes so everything else kinda falls out from that. I get what you say about the hook, but more I'm wondering what the show will do beyond the superficial gore & shock value: is it a more procedural show, serialized, that sort of thing, or more that kind of meandering, "shaggy dog" style of storytelling that a lot of streaming & prestige shows go for...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure I want to watch that final trailer given how it's been getting very good reviews so far!

Karl Urbans "cockney" accent is ... rough. I presume the comic character is meant to be English.

• Advertisement

Season 1 has dropped.

Watched the first few episodes and I'm enjoying it.

However it feels to me like this season is a set up for next season.

I quite like Urban's over the top butchering of the accent especially with his name being Butcher.

Pretty cool so far.

Good story.

Spice girls.. LOL..

Wow! Episode 1! Sold!

Imma need to see
    some justice dispenced to these bad supers

Only one I really knew was in this was Urban. Didn't realise Sheriff Hood was Homelander.

Only one I really knew was in this was Urban. Didn't realise Sheriff Hood was Homelander.

No way? :eek:
    ( his wiki if anyone wants it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr )

I didn't even see it!

Ye that took me a while to work out Homelander was he looks completely different like he had a bit of work done to his face and it didn't go well.

Recognised our own Dominique McElligot and Elisabeth Shue the rest don't really look familiar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Slydice wrote: »
    No way? eek.png
    ( his wiki if anyone wants it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr )

I didn't even see it!

It was wrecking my head every time Homelander was onscreen during episode one, that I had to Google the cast list to see what I recognised him from redface.png

As for "The Boys", I'm three episodes in and it's totally hooked me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah so wee Hughie is Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan's son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Havent been gripped by a series like this in a long long time.
    Excellent so far.

Advertisement