Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Comments

alan tudyk could play william zabka and he would be much better

Look at the dozens upon dozens of Youtube videos...William Zabkas 'Johnny' is a huge fans favourite of the KK franchise. Plus the acting is hammy on all fronts but thats because the dialogue itself is a bit hammy. The story itself is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Deceptive thumbnail! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

First clip looks good. "would you rather be a cobra that kills a lion or a crippled monkey?" :pac: So it looks like Johnny is seeing the error of his ways and wants to change his toxic influence on the kids. This is where I see Kreese stepping in and taking the already corrupted students, like Hawk, on as students. He'll be the anti-Mr. Miyagi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Look at the dozens upon dozens of Youtube videos...William Zabkas 'Johnny' is a huge fans favourite of the KK franchise. Plus the acting is hammy on all fronts but thats because the dialogue itself is a bit hammy. The story itself is excellent

alan tudyk mo-capped with zabka visage, could play william zabka and he would be much better

danial-father is a bit ott, give a bit of his over-expressiveness to zabka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i think william zabka plays william zabka best ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

2smiggy wrote: »
    i think william zabka plays william zabka best ...

I feel he’s type cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer

****, that looks great. Got a major rush watching that :pac::pac::pac:

Johnny will have a huge struggle with the conscience this season I'm guessing, Just as he is trying to change Cobra Kai, Kreese comes back pulling the strings.

To be honest i fear they are going to overdo the Cobra Kai 'badasses' thing. Sure ok - the Cobra Kai are bullies, but originally they were just spoilt little brats who were familiar with the dark arts in a tournament situation and used get up to the bit of mischief. Now it seems they are going to become a cult-like menace to greater society.

Wonder will any of the original Cobra Kai make a cameo? Dont think any of them are full time actors (or went into full time acting) after the first movie. I know that Ron Thomas (who played Bobby) is a motivation and personal development coach now.

• Advertisement

For anyone who loves ESPN'S 30 for 30 Documentaries :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

"Get him a body bag! Yeah!" reminded me of this from Robot Chicken.

"Get him a body bag! Yeah!" reminded me of this from Robot Chicken.

Lol, Thats excellent. Always laughed at that line. Considering Daniel actually beat him and Dutch, Tommy would have been better to keep the head down, but Hollywood being Hollywood, characters have memories like goldfish. Funny how Kreese kicked Johnny off the team in spite of his narrow defeat and yet Daniel beat three members of the dojo previously (4 if you count Bobby's disqualification)

Id say Johnny inspired the character of Ken to a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Let’s say I don’t have premium YouTube, how else would one watch season 1? Pm’s Welcome, please.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Let’s say I don’t have premium YouTube, how else would one watch season 1? Pm’s Welcome, please.

YouTube premium offers 1 month free trial, but you must be quick about cancelling it and making sure that it doesnt renew after 1 month

Drops tomorrow.

Two episodes in and keeping the standard it set in season 1.

Johnny on the phone....Yes we except boys and girls.....Gender what? Is this a prank call :)

Episode 6 brings......
    back Johnny's original gang

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Just on episode 8 and its some show, I really enjoyed episode 7 it was very nostalgic and emotional.

Binge watching it all day, its done really well and the sound track is preddy good....

• Advertisement

What a fantastic season and that was a day well spent binge watching it.

The corridor fight scene in the final episode is up there with anything from the Daredevil for me.

Season 3 set up brilliantly as well in the final episode. (
    Facebook Messenger as well
    )

William Zabka deserves to get nominated for a few awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Its definitely set up for another season of intrigue, Johnny is really trying his best.

Daniel needs to stop his tantrums, it's like the roles have reversed.
    His wife is a good woman, she keeps him in check.

If Johnny kicked the booze in the third season it would good to see him sober up a bit, I think that's the way it'll go, and himself and Daniel will set up a dojo and mix it up.

It was great to see Bobby and how he turned out, he was a good guy.
    That scene where they all changed their look when Johnny mentioned that he started up cobra kai was intense.

It was sad seeing
    Tommy
    passing away, but he put up a great last fight, including Pastor Bobby who kicked ass...

Excellent Season overall.

My favourite episode was #6
    The reunion of the old Cobra Kai gang. Poor Tommy :( His final line in KK1 was ''Get him a body bag''. His final scene in the whole Miyagi universe was to be zipped up in a body bag.....I shouldnt laugh but i loved the little irony :pac: Chad McQueen didnt reprise his role unfortunately but it was good writing to have Dutch in prison on a long stretch and very apt.

I like the way this season humanised Kreese more. While his whole never give up mantra is admirable, his pride and stubbornness has been his ultimate downfall in life.
    All his talk about winning the war and yet he is basically a broke, washed up man moving from homeless shelter to homeless shelter. I would hazard a guess that Terry Silver and Mike Barnes will appear in season three

And I think it might be apt to have Chozen from the second KK movie appear at some stage.......for 'balance' of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Watched 2 eps so far. Not feeling it as much as season 1. I think there was ONE joke in the two episodes. Hope it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just watched ep3 but could have watched a lot more. Great episode, Miyagi Do looks pure lame! Anyone else get the episode title as a nod to GoT or is it just coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only watched the first two but it's more of the same, and a very easy watch.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just watched ep3 but could have watched a lot more. Great episode, Miyagi Do looks pure lame! Anyone else get the episode title as a nod to GoT or is it just coincidence?

Miyagi-Do was always a long term holistic process aimed more at long term personal developmentand growth though. Its mantra is that fighting is the last resort to resolve conflict.

Cobra Kai takes a more 'straight in-no kissing' approach and is for the instant gratification junkies with short attention spans of which the world is full of today.

The use of
    Fire and ice by each respective dojo at the county fair was a nice clever bit of writing. A good analogy. One dojo is ice-cool while the other is all out fiery rage and aggro

A thought just struck me watching CK.

So how has
    John Kreese without a red cent to his name managed to take the lease off the CK dojo from under Johnnys nose?

Yes Johnny didnt have a concrete agreement in place with the landlord, just a handshake, but even then, how would Kreese afford to come in and usurp him all of a sudden? I'm guessing that Terry Silver has ponied up the money and we will be seeing him next season at some stage. I loved him in KK3. Hope he brings back his cartoon villainy. Johnny im guessing will form an alliance with Daniel to take down CK for good
    :D

Watched the first episode last night: it's on a par with the first series. Very entertaining, although I almost wish there was no Daniel and family in it. When Daniel and his wife and kids (and Robbie) are onscreen it feels like a teen drama, whereas when Johnny is there it feels like a darker, and much more entertaining, show. FYI Ralph Macchio is 57!

• Advertisement

yeah I am really disliking Daniel and his family (bar the daughter) Robbie is so annoying too.

yeah I am really disliking Daniel and his family (bar the daughter) Robbie is so annoying too.

It's impossible to dislike the daughter. She is the smiliest actress ever! :pac:

I do cringe at the scenes where Robbie walks in on Daniel doing some moves Mr Miyagi taught him, and then he explains them to a rapt Robbie. At this stage, Daniel could be having a ****, and if Robbie walked in, he could explain it away as a meditation technique taught to him by Miyagi and Robbie would buy it :)

Watched the first episode last night: it's on a par with the first series. Very entertaining, although I almost wish there was no Daniel and family in it. When Daniel and his wife and kids (and Robbie) are onscreen it feels like a teen drama, whereas when Johnny is there it feels like a darker, and much more entertaining, show. FYI Ralph Macchio is 57!

Im not sure it would work without Daniel to be honest. The whole show is based around Johnnys struggle to deal with his past and bury his ghosts and Daniel is a huge part of that. i agree on the teen bit though. Miguel and Samantha aside, the rest of them seem very cartoony. Hawk is way overdone. They could have made him a more rounded character with a more gradual transformation. Funnily enough, as annoying as Dmitri can be, i actually find him funny at the same time.

What's the story with LeRusso? He's got his own business and his wife is getting pure annoyed with him putting all his time into the dojo. Miyagi at least was retired.

Kreese is an evil bastard though

Was anyone else happy to see Daniel and Johnny getting along? Daniel shouldn't have kicked the bloody door in although i understand he was worried about Sam

Was anyone else happy to see Daniel and Johnny getting along? Daniel shouldn't have kicked the bloody door in although i understand he was worried about Sam

Happens at least once a season but never lasts too long which keeps the story going. Its more of a frenemy-ship than anything else. The odd couple really. I can imagine that a certain amount of bickering will remain in place but they will carve out a solid friendship of sorts albeit after a long journey (that hopefully wont become too tiresome). Ill be honest, id find it hard to ever see Johnny adapting the Miyagi-do way of life and i hope that remains the case and likewise. Daniel is a hot head though for a guy who is running a dojo where zen like calmness is at the heart of its teachings.

• Advertisement

Am I on my own here when i say that the
    school fight
    ruined what was a perfectly good season to date?? For me it was non-sensical and overcooked. They could have had an incident in the and dealt with the fallout of that incident for the rest of that episode, but a
    10-15 minute fight????-

Making my way through this now in a binge and it's incredibly good. Really on par with the first season once it gets in gear.

Watched Ep3 through 8 in one sitting. They're short enough though so really only the length of a (fairly) long movie.

Have to say I really enjoyed it. It's such an easy watch and compelling enough that I immediately found myself jumping to the next episode without a thought.

Last episode was a tad cheesy and overdone alright but on the right side of it.

Just like the first season, you'd swear each episode is longer than it actually is as they pack so much in. There's really very little filler, everything has a point or purpose.

Anyway, big thumbs up overall.

The positive for me - John Kreese. A brilliant character and an integral part of the franchise. This season showed a more human and vulnerable side to him, but he's truly bad to the bone

Johnny continues to grow as a character and I like Miguel too. A far better actor than Robby who comes across as very wooden.

Favourite episode as I said was episode 6. Excellent writing and very poignant.
    Very subtle messages in the episode as to the Cobra Kai old school guys and how, while they still like an adventure, they have matured as men, reflected on their past mistakes and sought redemption. I love the character of Bobby who has real depth even since the first movie. I think there is scope for another episode featuring him. Its a pity Chad McQueen wont reprise his role as Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,514 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

YouTube renews Cobra Kai for season 3

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    YouTube renews Cobra Kai for season 3

18m views. A smash hit really. Cant wait. Hopefully they bring shooting forward a bit and we dont have to wait a bloody year between seasons although Ralph Macchio is shooting 'The Deuce' (another brilliant show) so there could be conflicts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Great second season to follow the first. How Johnny gets away with so much drink driving is beyond me

Am I on my own here when i say that the
    school fight
    ruined what was a perfectly good season to date?? For me it was non-sensical and overcooked. They could have had an incident in the and dealt with the fallout of that incident for the rest of that episode, but a
    10-15 minute fight????-

I don't think these kind of complaints are valid given the premise of the show. It's ridiculous and nonsensical by nature. I'd usually be one to pick shows apart but when its not trying to be uber serious from the get-go, the bar is lowered. I'm loving it nonetheless. I find myself laughing all the time, sometimes at parts that maybe aren't obviously in-your-face funny. Kreese's entire character is hilarious.

I don't think these kind of complaints are valid given the premise of the show. It's ridiculous and nonsensical by nature. I'd usually be one to pick shows apart but when its not trying to be uber serious from the get-go, the bar is lowered. I'm loving it nonetheless. I find myself laughing all the time, sometimes at parts that maybe aren't obviously in-your-face funny. Kreese's entire character is hilarious.

It is great bad TV, no more than the first movie was a great bad movie :pac:

I get what you mean but i thought the movies were that little bit more story and character development focused whereas the series seems to be action focused. The films wasnt as Karate heavy if you know what i mean. Now i dont mind Karate scenes....but 15 mins on the
    same school brawl
    was ridiculous.

Season 2 is streaming free at the moment on Youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,514 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rob Garrison who played the role of Tommy has died at the age of 59 - RIP

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rob Garrison who played the role of Tommy has died at the age of 59 - RIP

Jeez :(..... thats terribly sad....and quite freaky too considering.

R.I.P. Tommy. "get him a body bag...yeah!!!" :o (not doing a bad taste joke, just paying tribute to him with his most famous line).

R.I.P. Tommy. "get him a body bag...yeah!!!" :o (not doing a bad taste joke, just paying tribute to him with his most famous line).

All those CK guys and Billy Zabka remained really good friends in real life after the original film according to Zabka himself. It came across well in that excellent episode they did this season
    where the old CK go on a road trip and reminisce about old times

Ron Thomas who played Bobby is actually a life coach now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement