Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only watched the first two episodes so far but it's great, works very well and hits the perfect blend between cheesy and intriguing. Two dudes are look well also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

silverharp wrote: »
    Nah, it was just ****e. Would have been just as ****e if it was a similar gender/ethnic make up as the first one. The Original was a classic that didn't need rebooting or remaking, trotting out the it's crap because it's too PC suggests you're a little too easily triggered.

its not about being triggered, but I would argue that if you put sjw "teaching moments" into tv shows , it either means the makers have run out of good ideas or it takes away from the story lines and characters.

There's been "teaching moments" in sit coms and tv shows in general decades before the alt-right made it a button topic for insecure white males. The only difference is that instead of Billy learning the valuable lesson that pride cometh before the fall, he's learning that his best friend Chad is gay and you know what, that's OK. Nothing has changed, except that the issues covered in these "teaching moments" like female empowerment and LBGT issues strike at the very heart of white male masculinity.

Anyway we should leave at that as we're both off topic .

Looking forward to powering through these today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Watched the full season yesterday. Really good show. The way the characters are developed is brilliant. Best TV show since sons of anarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Watched this in two batches and loved every second.

This might be me reading in to it, but when you wipe away the nostalgia the montages and the cheese it's a very heart warming tale about passed-on-hate / bullying.

There are so many bittersweet moments...

Spoilers!
    When Miguel / "Ria" becomes just like Johnny near the end. A hateful psycho who now has sunk too deep in to the brainwashing... and that now Johnny realises this is just history repeating and feels remorseful. Even Eli getting some confidence and changing from shy / recluse to an absolute nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Nothing has changed, except that the issues covered in these "teaching moments" like female empowerment and LBGT issues strike at the very heart of white male masculinity.

It's not the show for you bro. You'd prefer Genderquake.

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Nothing has changed, except that the issues covered in these "teaching moments" like female empowerment and LBGT issues strike at the very heart of white male masculinity.

It's not the show for you bro. You'd prefer Genderquake.

Sic burn bro. Nah I'm loving this so far mate. I judge a show on how entertaining it is, not it's politics. Cobra Kai is first of all entertaining. I loved the nod to Karate kid with Johnny pulling a Miyagi and making his student do all the chores " is there any particular way you want me to shine this" (window), "nah". What it also is tho, shock horror, is an 'issues' show . That 'issue' just happens to be about wounded male pride, about peaking in high school, feeling like the world has left you behind and that it owes you something. (Johnny is basically an avatar for Trump voters).

Anyone else feel like the episodes are longer then they actually are. Most half hour shows are comedy's or dramady's, and feel short. If you'd told me these were the network standard 41-45 mins I wouldn't bat an eyelid. They've paced them beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone else feel like the episodes are longer then they actually are. Most half hour shows are comedy's or dramady's, and feel short. If you'd told me these were the network standard 41-45 mins I wouldn't bat an eyelid. They've paced them beautifully.

I was just thinking this exact same thing when I was watching the 2nd last episode last night....I was asking myself if the last two were extended or something, it really felt like a 45 minute episode.

Finished it anyway, really super stuff. Would love to see a 2nd season.

Sic burn bro. Nah I'm loving this so far mate. I judge a show on how entertaining it is, not it's politics. Cobra Kai is first of all entertaining. I loved the nod to Karate kid with Johnny pulling a Miyagi and making his student do all the chores " is there any particular way you want me to shine this" (window), "nah". What it also is tho, shock horror, is an 'issues' show . That 'issue' just happens to be about wounded male pride, about peaking in high school, feeling like the world has left you behind and that it owes you something. (Johnny is basically an avatar for Trump voters).

Trump has not been mentioned once the whole series so i dont know how Johnny is an avatar for Trump voters? :confused:
    The only hint at politics was that idiot grabbing the mic off the MC in the tenth episode, who took over and insisted the crowd join him in a minutes silence while lecturing the crowd with meaningless platitudes about 'hate crime'

Actually what i admire about this show is the complete role reversal of characters and doesnt bend the knee to the senseless PC bulls*it of our current times.

Miguel was essentially 2018 Daniel while Kyler (A Japanese American) was effectively 2018 Johnny.

Johnny's issues stemmed from his defection of the Cobra Kai due to being nearly strangled by his psycho sensei at the beginning of the 2nd movie. The same sensei who was the only role model in his life because his step dad is an utter bellend. The central theme of the series explores the importance of the people around you and how they can shape your world for the better or good. Johnny drew the shortest of straws in this regard. Yes, his mother married a wealthy business man but he was no good for her son and was a complete asshole, so the only safe haven he had was the Cobra Kai dojo who preyed on his insecurities and indoctrinated within him and others, a huge sense of aggression against the world.

A whole episode dedicated to young 1979 Johnny in season 2 would be fantastic, if anything for the nostalgia trip. They are drip feeding the characters background bit by bit so i imagine we'll see more as we go along. Brilliant character. Carrying the series to an extent i feel. Without him, there is no story.

Looks like a couple of returning faces for s2. For those who havent seen the end of one beware the spoiler on the video

Trump has not been mentioned once the whole series so i dont know how Johnny is an avatar for Trump voters? :confused:
    The only hint at politics was that idiot grabbing the mic off the MC in the tenth episode, who took over and insisted the crowd join him in a minutes silence while lecturing the crowd with meaningless platitudes about 'hate crime'

Actually what i admire about this show is the complete role reversal of characters and doesnt bend the knee to the senseless PC bulls*it of our current times.

Miguel was essentially 2018 Daniel while Kyler (A Japanese American) was effectively 2018 Johnny.

Johnny's issues stemmed from his defection of the Cobra Kai due to being nearly strangled by his psycho sensei at the beginning of the 2nd movie. The same sensei who was the only role model in his life because his step dad is an utter bellend. The central theme of the series explores the importance of the people around you and how they can shape your world for the better or good. Johnny drew the shortest of straws in this regard. Yes, his mother married a wealthy business man but he was no good for her son and was a complete asshole, so the only safe haven he had was the Cobra Kai dojo who preyed on his insecurities and indoctrinated within him and others, a huge sense of aggression against the world.

A whole episode dedicated to young 1979 Johnny in season 2 would be fantastic, if anything for the nostalgia trip. They are drip feeding the characters background bit by bit so i imagine we'll see more as we go along. Brilliant character. Carrying the series to an extent i feel. Without him, there is no story.

Never said Trump or politics had been explicitly mentioned mate, but its all there in the subtext, I'm surprised given your talk of themes and such that you didnt pick up on it .

Whatever the genesis of Johnny's issues, and you've described them quite accurately, the fact is he fits the mould of your typical Trump supporter. Old school, politically incorrect , feels forgotten by society and angry at the world.

It's a great character study and a story that needs telling , but don't kid yourself that this isn't an 'issue' show just because it has an politically incorrect protagonist. Its just shining a light on a different sector of society and trying to explore why Johnny is the way he is. How he was moulded by his environment.

Everything else you've written is spot on. Looking foward to the character being explored more in a second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is it possible to watch the whole series yet in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is it possible to watch the whole series yet in Ireland?

Yes ,there are ways that can't be mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Never said Trump or politics had been explicitly mentioned mate, but its all there in the subtext, I'm surprised given your talk of themes and such that you didnt pick up on it .

Whatever the genesis of Johnny's issues, and you've described them quite accurately, the fact is he fits the mould of your typical Trump supporter. Old school, politically incorrect , feels forgotten by society and angry at the world.

It's a great character study and a story that needs telling , but don't kid yourself that this isn't an 'issue' show just because it has an politically incorrect protagonist. Its just shining a light on a different sector of society and trying to explore why Johnny is the way he is. How he was moulded by his environment.

Everything else you've written is spot on. Looking foward to the character being explored more in a second season.

unless "subtext" means its in your head , I don't see it :p . If you want a cultural commentary its about 2 kids who didn't have a father figure, one comes under the influence of a wise old Japanese man and the other someone who was an asshole. Episode 7 or 8 draws out this part of their background, it's also an issue with some of the kids this time round too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

unless "subtext" means its in your head , I don't see it :p. If you want a cultural commentary its about 2 kids who didn't have a father figure, one comes under the influence of a wise old Japanese man and the other someone who was an asshole. Episode 7 or 8 draws out this part of their background, it's also an issue with some of the kids this time round too.

Haha maybe it is , but then maybe some of the perceived PC'ness you see hiding in every shadow is also in your head too. I think we all see (or don't see) what we want to, based on our own particular biases ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Delighted!

Well done to all involved with the show.

Mr E wrote: »
    Delighted!

Well done to all involved with the show.

I do hope it doesnt begin to jump the shark. Hopefully they will stick with Johnny's redemption at the centre and not go off on convoluted tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope they can get Elisabeth Shue and Hilary Swank to at least guest for one episode.

I hope they can get Elisabeth Shue and Hilary Swank to at least guest for one episode.

Yes, i think ES will appear at some stage as she is central to Johnny (and Daniel's) story. She is basically the reason the whole rivalry grew to begin with.

While not linked with Daniel directly, Hilary Swanks character and Daniel are linked by what Miyagi done for their lives so that could be workable. Swank is an excellent actress too.

And Terry Silver (from part 3) needs to come back....what a villain. Here's a fact for you, The actor who played Silver is actually younger then Ralph Macchio.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched episode 1 last night. I'm pretty sure the entire season will be binged over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

This was so good it was unbelievable

Best thing I've seen in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

well for something that should have been absolute horse **** it was amazing .... the perfect antidote for the feel good pc ****e that most new tv shows end up been ..... the way Johnny speaks to the kids was class teachers should be more like him

well for something that should have been absolute horse **** it was amazing .... the perfect antidote for the feel good pc ****e that most new tv shows end up been ..... the way Johnny speaks to the kids was class teachers should be more like him

Can't for the life of me figure out how Billy Zabka went off the radar. He's excellent. He seemed to focus more on the production side of things in later years though so perhaps it was his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Can't for the life of me figure out how Billy Zabka went off the radar. He's excellent. He seemed to focus more on the production side of things in later years though so perhaps it was his choice.

lol it was great having him back and he was good overall but his limitations were painfully obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loved it.

One of my children wanted to practice karate after we watched the last episode.

Loved the parody of the modern PC stuff we have to endure in some shows.

Really enjoyable show... I love when Johnny says “Quiet” to shut people up quickly. Even his landlord!!! Am I the only one who really enjoyed that continuing quirk ?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Loved it.

One of my children wanted to practice karate after we watched the last episode.

Loved the parody of the modern PC stuff we have to endure in some shows.

Really enjoyable show... I love when Johnny says “Quiet” to shut people up quickly. Even his landlord!!! Am I the only one who really enjoyed that continuing quirk ?

What I find funny is tho the actor looks 30 years older he sounds exactly how he did in the first movie when he shouts like that. Its that same slightly higher pitch then you expect given his speaking voice.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    lol it was great having him back and he was good overall but his limitations were painfully obvious.

There was parts there for him all the same. A bit typecast and appeared in a few spoof 80s films but he's done a great job with Johnny. He's brought him to life

He's a full black belt too don't forget. You don't need to be a good actor for most parts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ok saw ep 1 & 2. Can somebody please pm me how to view the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Really enjoyed this!!

Ralph really needs to get a few Karate lessons in his spare time though, jesus!

Advertisement