Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

13 reasons and handmade's tail are bad though

It's like female first world problems in tv form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You do know half the world is female?

You do know half the world is female?

Wat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah, come off it, Handmaids Tale is excellent.

13 Reasons why I haven't gone near because, as you say, it looks like it's aimed at angsty teenagers.
    Lost in Space seems very much aimed at the "family viewing" bracket and tbh, in our house, that's what it is: our 12 year old boy loves it and the rest of us can tolerate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Kuva wrote: »
    13 reasons - only teens, early 20s girls show really.

Handmaid's - dunno who'd watch it...same as above.

Space - small audience cuz it has space in title.

They're comparing it to the other channels lesser shows, no?

Haha Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They're comparing it to other streaming platform shows that have high viewership. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Ah sure its the Karate Kid..dunno who’d watch that...probably only a small audience of Karate enthusiasts as it has the word Karate in the title and young people..thats the logic we are working off here right!?

Karate is coming back big time.

Don't know if many of you watch Mixed Martial Arts but famed karate practitioner Lyoto Machida did this the other night:

SourDefiniteFireant-max-14mb.gif

And here's his earlier "Larusso crane kick" on Randy Couture.

Machida-Couture.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Axwell wrote: »
    Ah sure its the Karate Kid..dunno who’d watch that...probably only a small audience of Karate enthusiasts as it has the word Karate in the title and young people..thats the logic we are working off here right!?

You think people aren't off put straight away by setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

While Karate is indeed a niche selling point , the kid part covers children .... And goats....

• Advertisement

I am sure some people are but when shows are getting huge ratings and recommendations I am sure people check them out and watch a few episodes and make their own mind up rather than just dismiss them because of the title. You dismissed shows that have huge followings saying not sure who would watch that..clearly loads of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

There definitely are, and it's a sign of insecurity tbh. I watch all the show's you listed and I'm a 40 year old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Well finally finished it over the weekend, what a great show, and worked very well over 10 episodes !! Kept me entertained and interested throughout. Can't wait for season 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I binge watched this over the past week, GREAT show and should be used as the barometer for how to relaunch/reboot a show, showing the 2 sides of the story was a great move to make, it's hard to see who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I particularly liked how Daniel's son is exactly the sort of spoiled brat he'd always thought Johnny was...

Sleepy wrote: »
    I particularly liked how Daniel's son is exactly the sort of spoiled brat he'd always thought Johnny was...

An interesting thing about Johnny, did you notice when they showed him in his youth they portrayed him as a kid with all the new stuff like probably one of the first walkmans for example? And yet in later years he had a clapped out old car with a tape deck and an old CRT television. By the end of the series though he has a flat screen tv and new car to show that he is finally dealing with the past and letting go.

Im wondering whether the old stepfather Sid will snuff it in season two and by default the mansion will end up with Robby or Johnny?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!! The original was one of my favorites as a kid growing up, knew every song, every line and many an evening doing a stupid crane kick in the sitting room. The video was constantly on.
    Cobra kai was so well done, could have been an absolute cheese fest but they fit it just right, perfect story telling, great mix of adult and teen stories. Haven’t enjoyed a show that much in a long time. Actually jumped up out of the seat at the end!!! Can’t stop smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I finished this almost two weeks ago I think, but sat down with the girlfriend on Sunday afternoon and wanted something to watch, I semi-insisted this as I knew she'd like it. Ended up binging the whole show, a great way to spend 5 hours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It is shocking how many people agree around here about this show, this never happens. My worry now would be a raft of follow up stories to 80s classics.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    It is shocking how many people agree around here about this show, this never happens. My worry now would be a raft of follow up stories to 80s classics.

That's true and not all of them will make a fist of it. In fact, i would be somewhat nervous for the second season of CK.
    This series works because the first Karate Kid film was absolutely brilliant, but the second or third....not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That's true and not all of them will make a fist of it. In fact, i would be somewhat nervous for the second season of CK.
    This series works because the first Karate Kid film was absolutely brilliant, but the second or third....not so much.

I pretend there was just one movie, ditto Rambo, Rocky, ghostbusters and porkies

ya only one Karate Kid film for me too !!

I think they will have enough for another season, if they keep it to the same 10 short episodes. No point trying to milk it too much !

Martin Kove
    is joining the cast as a season regular for season 2.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Drink it, put hair on your balls.

Lol

beertons wrote: »
    Drink it, put hair on your balls.

Lol

I love the constant swiping at modern day political correctness throughout. Ironic though that this show was picked up by Google owned YouTube who are pretty much left oriented. Just shows the rampant hypocrites they are when there is potentially huge viewership and revenue on the cards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I love the constant swiping at modern day political correctness throughout. Ironic though that this show was picked up by Google owned YouTube who are pretty much left oriented. Just shows the rampant hypocrites they are when there is potentially huge viewership and revenue on the cards

You're over thinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Started to watch it earlier. Currently on episode 5 and loving it

Pelvis wrote: »
    You're over thinking it.

Ah here, a welders dog could see the mocking references they make to PC throughout the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just finished it.

Being a lover of 80 movies and music The Karate Kid is one of my all time classics.

Cannot believe how well done this was!!
    Perfect amount of nostalgia, flashbacks and everything else. Found myself smiling away watching it so many times. Absolutely loved it.

That's how to do a reboot!!!

Currently watching the original Karate Kid film, and find myself rooting for Johnny !!

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    Currently watching the original Karate Kid film, and find myself rooting for Johnny !!

Nah to be honest he was a bastard not that Daniel was perfect either but he was brainwashed by a headcase Sensei who played on the insecurities of the kids who trained under him.

Nah to be honest he was a bastard not that Daniel was perfect either but he was brainwashed by a headcase Sensei who played on the insecurities of the kids who trained under him.

true, that was near the start of the film I was thinking that, by the end i was on team Daniel again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Didn't hear about this till yesterday. Watched the whole thing straight through, it was that good.

Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I totally forgot this show was even being made or a thing until I stumbled across it on YouTube as the first two episodes are free.

Really expected this to be some cheesy, nostalgia fest with god awful acting and a crap story.

Imagine my shock when it turned out to actually be a really, really good watch with a decent amount of references. Totally recommend watching this.

Edit: I never did like Daniel, he's the snake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Finally finally got around to watching this, I'm a ridiculously huge fan of the original movies so wasn't sure what to expect from this. It was perfect, really enjoyable.

Season 2 teaser trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are all episodes from season 1 free view yet? Or do I still need YouTube premium

Season 2 teaser trailer

Looks excellent. Im predicting them to go a little SJW at the finale of this season though and have Sam vs Ayisha in the All Valley final with Sam to knick it barely at the death. Interesting to see how John Kreese blends back into it. Wonder will Terry Silver make a reappearance?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are all episodes from season 1 free view yet? Or do I still need YouTube premium

Still premium.....but i dont think thats a fool proof way of stopping people from seeing this series somehow.....just a hunch from a concerned citizen ;)

• Advertisement

When's season 2 out?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    When's season 2 out?

April 24th. Not long away now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Looks good. I can see it eventually ending up with Johnny and Daniel joining forces against Kreese, and then running a karate school together, but they will probably drag it out for a few years before it gets to that. I love Johnny in it; he is the real standout in the show, and has the best lines. Can't wait to see him and Kreese back in action :) I do wish the show was more for adults though, less focus on the kids, and more sex/violence/bad language; let Johnny be really unhinged. It's just a little soft for me, but I guess it is trying to appeal to kids as well (as the original Karate Kid movies did). Just don't bring Hilary Swank into it!

Looks good. I can see it eventually ending up with Johnny and Daniel joining forces against Kreese, and then running a karate school together, but they will probably drag it out for a few years before it gets to that. I love Johnny in it; he is the real standout in the show, and has the best lines. Can't wait to see him and Kreese back in action :) I do wish the show was more for adults though, less focus on the kids, and more sex/violence/bad language; let Johnny be really unhinged. It's just a little soft for me, but I guess it is trying to appeal to kids as well (as the original Karate Kid movies did). Just don't bring Hilary Swank into it!

I notice there is a new chick in it with the surname 'Schwarber' which was Ali's married name in the last season. To be honest I hope they arent just going to shoe horn old faces into the show for the sake of it although its feasible that Ali would move back to LA with the family.

I originally said Daniels daughter would probably fight Ayisha in the All Valley final but now id say it will be Ali's daughter to put a nice twist on things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

watching this, William Zabka cant act for ****, no emphasis on his words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's funny. I only watch it because of him, otherwise it would just be some vanilla teen drama.

William Zabka was the stand out for me.

Likewise, he is easily the best thing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What tripe.

Clearly we are all right, it is you who is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

alan tudyk could play william zabka and he would be much better

Advertisement