Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Yeah, I saw the intro for the new Call of Duty, and the subsequent surge in interest for this guy. :D

Still, I've had this opinion long before I saw his interviews.

It makes a lot of sense - it has a good ' fit ' .

But I'm gonna keep working on my alien robots theory anyway. As a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

.anon. wrote: »
    Go on, say 'woke' again. You're not saying it enough.

Say 'woke' one more time. I dare you!
    Say-What-One-More-Time.jpg

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

WOKE ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This a professor at a London University.
    27,000+ people follow her on Twitter!
    Stay awake while boiling her word salad down to 'I don't like debate because the sh1t I believe is nuts'
    https://twitter.com/ProfSunnySingh/status/1309077604838842371?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ASLEEP ASLEEP! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

cis heteropatriarchal - I binged and googled here, no shouting please, I just like to keep ahead of the curve on tolerable speech.

Seemingly - or so I have read -

"In feminist theory, heteropatriarchy (etymologically from heterosexual and patriarchy) is a socio-political system where (primarily) cisgender males and heterosexuals have authority over cisgender females and over other sexual orientations and gender identities. It is a term that emphasizes that discrimination exerted both upon women and LGBTQ people has the same sexist social principle"

I have also had to bing and google " cis gender " , ( I am so out of touch , apols etc )

"Cisgender (sometimes cissexual, often abbreviated to simply cis) is a term for people whose gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth. For example, someone who identifies as a woman and was assigned female at birth is a cisgender woman."

If this thread is currently being followed by cis-genders..... is it a biased thread which needs to be ignored, chastised and/or cancelled? ( by for example feminists who do not adhere to the " Cis " agenda "

I identify as a "cis" btw. If you are non-cis and don't agree with my thoughts or sentiments the report button is too the left. But don't forget that, it is not the lie, it is the lie within the liar that counts....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

was assigned female at birth
    Interesting way of avoiding to say "born female".

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I identify as a "cis" btw. If you are non-cis and don't agree with my thoughts or sentiments the report button is too the left. But don't forget that, it is not the lie, it is the lie within the liar that counts....

I identify as a man. That's it. Don't need any other labels.

Cordell wrote: »
    Interesting way of avoiding to say "born female".

That might discriminate against anyone " non - assigned " .

Just saying.

I'd say it's because it implies that everyone is assigned, and this is what creates the narrative in which reassignment is something that is possible.

• Advertisement

But surely I need more transparency on my patriarchal identity?

Is it not giving an unfair advantage to males who identify as " cis " males ... as opposed to transgender males who identify as "non-cis" or transgender?

These days, what you identify as and what you really are are two completely independent aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Crap. Theres two genders - male and female.

Woke is rubbish. And social media has released a real bunch of idiots to the wider world.

Heteropatriarchal lives matter too.

The advent of Cissexism is endangering the lives of the assigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Stay awake while boiling her word salad down to 'I don't like debate because the sh1t I believe is nuts'

Not sure how anyone who isn't either being willfully obtuse or genuinely thick-as-pigshit would boil what she said down to that.

The problem with debating (as opposed to listening and exchanging ideas) is that it's a competitive practice that usually takes place between polar opposites, reducing the exchange of ideas to a game where there is a perceived winner and a loser, both sides constantly trying to land a punch using various tried and tested tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

What is she saying so? And really, the "thick as pig****" comment - is that necessary?

She comes across horribly. Being a liberal doesn't prevent a person from being a truly nasty bully. And that has become very apparent lately.

And "cis" as a pejorative - they're gas. The evil cis people.

Is it not giving an unfair advantage to males who identify as " cis " males ... as opposed to transgender males who identify as "non-cis" or transgender?

What advantage?

IMHO it's all gobbledygook. People looking for attention, and seeking to piss on other peoples lives. Extremely few people are genuinely transgender, and people are making a mountain out of a mountain out of a molehill by pandering to this rubbish. Transgender people can call themselves whatever they wish.. like any cult does... like I'm sure the Mormons have their own terminology to describe themselves, but there's no expectation on the whole world to follow suit, and yet, there's likely more Mormons in the world, than Transgendered people. I know a few transgendered people and they don't seek recognition or support any of this nonsense.

Americans... they have a lot of answer for by promoting all manner of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Really just A Brahmin saying i won,T engage with ye lower caste types, but dressed up in the language of liberation

I have being warning ye Peeps about the Lefties ~ ~ Haven’t I ?

Ye can’t say that ye have not been warned ! !

That might discriminate against anyone " non - assigned " .

Just saying.
    I banged my head on a sign once ~ ~ was that a sign ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Not sure how anyone who isn't either being willfully obtuse or genuinely thick-as-pigshit would boil what she said down to that.

The problem with debating (as opposed to listening and exchanging ideas) is that it's a competitive practice that usually takes place between polar opposites, reducing the exchange of ideas to a game where there is a perceived winner and a loser, both sides constantly trying to land a punch using various tried and tested tactics.

Testing ones ideas in a debate is a very old way of verifing their validity. Notwithstanding the competitive aspect a reluctance to expose them to scrutiny is at best faithless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

What is she saying so? And really, the "thick as pig****" comment - is that necessary?

She comes across horribly. Being a liberal doesn't prevent a person from being a truly nasty bully. And that has become very apparent lately.

Thanks, Boards Police.

What I did there was employ a shitty debating tactic without the self-awareness to even notice what I was doing. For the record, I think the poster's reductive comment was the result of willful obtuseness, but by reducing it to a binary choice between that and actual thickness, I was hammering home the point that what he was saying was definitely not very clever at all.

She (the professor who has the word 'prof' in her Twitter username, lest anyone not know that she's a professor) comes across as an insufferable academic who can't or won't just speak clearly and concisely. If you look through her subsequent tweets, she refers to decolonising her creative and academic practice, which I'm sure we've all had to do from time to time (I can recommend a good place if anyone wants to undergo this particular procedure).

But she's right about the fruitlessness of debating. To win a debate, you have to be good at debating. I'd consider myself reasonably adept at stringing a thingy together in terms of, like, sentences and stuff, and I'm quite good at doing that insufferable online thing of picking a post apart and responding to it bit by bit for twenty pages until one of us gets bored and the other wins by default. But 'winning' doesn't mean I'm right. It also doesn't mean that I (or the loser) learned anything from the whole charade either.

But she's right about the fruitlessness of debating. To win a debate, you have to be good at debating. I'd consider myself reasonably adept at stringing a thingy together in terms of, like, sentences and stuff, and I'm quite good at doing that insufferable online thing of picking a post apart and responding to it bit by bit for twenty pages until one of us gets bored and the other wins by default. But 'winning' doesn't mean I'm right. It also doesn't mean that I (or the loser) learned anything from the whole charade either.

Whether you learned anything depends on you, and the content of the debate. I have taught argumentation as part of academic writing courses, and the debates online are a far cry from what happens, except on the most basic level. Online debates are far more similar to verbal arguments, with some references to external sources for support, but often, they're lacking in any real foundation. The problem, of course, is the rise of misinformation on the internet, and that further clouds the debates and their effectiveness.

There is no winning on an online discussion... because people come online to validate their original opinions/beliefs. Oh, sometimes someone will leave with those beliefs shattered, or rocked a little, but it's generally quite rare. I've had conversations with friends (many of whom are long time posters on boards or reddit), and they would agree that they rarely have their beliefs altered from threads... although... it does happen.

Some people put in the effort to write well, organise their arguments along logical streams, and provide useful evidence to support themselves. These kind of posters are a joy to read, and have the most chance of changing opinions.

For myself, I'd feel the debates are less about who is arguing, and more about the dozens of people who will read the posts.. even while they're looking for things to take apart, they're often forced to consider the argument/evidence in other to find a weakness to exploit.. and if there's no weakness? A chance to have their strong beliefs altered.

I've had my opinions shaped, and countered effectively before by various posters, on all manner of topics. Don't underestimate the readers ability to change. Small steps, but it's still possible to change over time.

What advantage?

IMHO it's all gobbledygook. People looking for attention, and seeking to piss on other peoples lives. Extremely few people are genuinely transgender, and people are making a mountain out of a mountain out of a molehill by pandering to this rubbish. Transgender people can call themselves whatever they wish.. like any cult does... like I'm sure the Mormons have their own terminology to describe themselves, but there's no expectation on the whole world to follow suit, and yet, there's likely more Mormons in the world, than Transgendered people. I know a few transgendered people and they don't seek recognition or support any of this nonsense.

Americans... they have a lot of answer for by promoting all manner of rubbish.

Your comments are not being respectful, especially to unassigned transgenders. In doing so you may also be potentially subjugating or compromising other non cis preferences. Thread carefully please.

I massively get how assigned, cis patriarchal types are easily offended at being pigeon holed by the millennial woke. I get the frustration.

The key to contentment and happiness is acceptance. It allows both the assigned and the unassigned to live and prosper together, as nature has commanded us all to.

Your comments are not being respectful, especially to unassigned transgenders. In doing so you may also be potentially subjugating or compromising other non cis preferences. Thread carefully please.

I massively get how assigned, cis patriarchal types are easily offended at being pigeon holed by the millennial woke. I get the frustration.

The key to contentment and happiness is acceptance. It allows both the assigned and the unassigned to live and prosper together, as nature has commanded us all to.

as I said.. gobbledygook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think this is today's woke-ism of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

And she could just say that, but any opportunity - no matter how tenuous - to bring white supremacy into it, and "cis" as a negative.

They sound so Stepford Wifey, the way they parrot this stuff off.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think this is today's woke-ism of the day.

I agree, it makes sense.

Debate is challenging the woke who are currently "un woke". This indicates an unfair advantage and could isolate opinion. This is discriminatory, as debating is essentially bullying and leads to opinions being oppressed. ( as opposed to the cancelling of common sense, which wokism is suppressing), only morons talk like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Just reading that made my IQ decline by about 10 points.

Really hope this is satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I agree, it makes sense.

Debate is challenging the woke who are currently "un woke". This indicates an unfair advantage and could isolate opinion. This is discriminatory, as debating is essentially bullying and leads to opinions being oppressed. ( as opposed to the cancelling of common sense, which wokism is suppressing), only morons talk like that.

We need to open a “dialogue”, I.

Leave all the “point scoring” at the door and listen to each other with, both, dignity and respect.

And, who knows, maybe we’ll even have one on here someday. Can’t see it anytime soon though. But we live in hope.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement