Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ermm they do - licence fee is not used for it - or I'm pretty sure I've seen advertising on it.

I should point out, I don't watch BBC World News so this could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's BBC, there are no adverts on any BBC channel, TV or radio, it's all publicly funded.

No advertising on their UK channels/sites but AFAIK they can (and do) have advertising on their international channels & sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The BBC does have ads on its world services be it TV, Radio or Podcasts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't seem to get much more than 2 years out of TV remotes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just thinking, how many shows are likely to be cancelled due to the pandemic? We already heard of a couple Netflix series.

I was thinking today about the Writers' Strike and I remember back then a few series that started before the strike and were cut short got a second season but then got cancelled. Maybe they just didn't get great numbers anyway, but I think people who watched the series either forgot about it in its long time off or just moved on. Series like Pushing Daisies, Life, Dirty Sexy Money and Reaper.

Of course that strike happened towards the end of the year some shows lost half their season. With this pandemic, shows only lost a handful of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just thinking, how many shows are likely to be cancelled due to the pandemic? We already heard of a couple Netflix series.

I was thinking today about the Writers' Strike and I remember back then a few series that started before the strike and were cut short got a second season but then got cancelled. Maybe they just didn't get great numbers anyway, but I think people who watched the series either forgot about it in its long time off or just moved on. Series like Pushing Daisies, Life, Dirty Sexy Money and Reaper.

Of course that strike happened towards the end of the year some shows lost half their season. With this pandemic, shows only lost a handful of episodes.

The Netflix cancellations don't seem to be Covid related.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Netflix cancellations don't seem to be Covid related.
    'The Society' and 'I'm Not OK With This' were cancelled due to Covid related circumstances..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2020/08/the-society-i-am-not-okay-with-this-canceled-netflix-covid-related-no-season-2-1203020036/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

Basq wrote: »

I hadn't seen the story of their cancellation. From what I had seen of the other shows it seemed be cost vs. viewers

For Altered Carbon, yeah.
    I'd say due to Covid delaying filming on the other shows, the kids were aging quicker than they would've liked, which isn't good when they're looking 2 years older when they're only meant to be a month or 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trailers and 'this Fall', eh? Enjoyed watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,042 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jane Lynch will present The Weakest Link in US

CBS All Access is getting re-branded as Paramount+

MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Network and Nickelodeon are all getting folded into it and it also the home to all Champions League and Europa league in the States.

I wonder is the name change getting ready for the world wide launch.

I said it before for me it is the best value streaming network going.

Will Smith teams with Airbnb and for $30 a night you can stay in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air mansion.
    willsmith
    Verified
    YOOOO!! Y’all think we should rent out the @freshprince house?? We’re making it happen with the squad at @airbnb!! #FreshPrince30th

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFGQVVhnY-B/

Two day late but the show that spawned so much TV debuted 30 years ago.

https://twitter.com/WolfEnt/status/1305188879788634119?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Will Smith teams with Airbnb and for $30 a night you can stay in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air mansion.

Only a few days to go to book with airbnb for $4 a night in the last Blockbuster store in the world:

526428.png

https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/last-surviving-blockbuster-oregon-airbnb-rental
    (though it's only for Oregon residents apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Network and Nickelodeon are all getting folded into it and it also the home to all Champions League and Europa league in the States.

Is the “+” going to be what they all use?

I was surprised that Apple went TV+ after the announcement of Disney+ And surprised that there was no comments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder will this merge finally mean the Star Trek IP mess is fixed (for those not in the know and IIRC, even though CBS & Paramount are related, legally CBS are not allowed use any content or characters from the [Paramount] Trek movies - and vice versa).

Nielsen streaming ratings for August.

Lucifer is a clear winner, It also shows that series can have another life after being cancelled by Networks.
    As has been the case since Nielsen debuted the streaming rankings last month, all 10 top titles are on Netflix. Disney+ and Hulu have been added to the consideration set as of this week. Amazon programming is also tracked by Nielsen, which measures only the U.S. and therefore can’t definitively gauge performance across global platforms.

Minutes viewed
    Here are the full rankings, with episodes available on Netflix and total streaming minutes:

1. Lucifer (75) 1.591B

2. The Legend of Korra (52) 1.248B

3. The Umbrella Academy (20) 1.088B

4. The Office (192) 928M

5. Shameless (121) 802M

6. Grey’s Anatomy (361) 764M

7. Project Power (1) 761M

8. Criminal Minds (277) 713M

9. NCIS (353) 533M

10. Teenage Bounty Hunters (10) 422M

https://deadline.com/2020/09/lucifer-netflix-tops-nielsen-streaming-rankings-1234578799/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How the heck is The Office STILL ranking so high on Netflix's charts? Any time stats come out, boom, there it is. Why that specific sitcom I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    How the heck is The Office STILL ranking so high on Netflix's charts? Any time stats come out, boom, there it is. Why that specific sitcom I wonder

Its very re-watchable and appeals to both the "high brow" and "low brow" comedy audiences.

Two day late but the show that spawned so much TV debuted 30 years ago.

https://twitter.com/WolfEnt/status/1305188879788634119?s=20

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.

I think you forgot the most important part of that intro

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think you forgot the most important part of that intro

Dun Dun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Probably old news at this point but just saw Fargo season 4 is out on 27th of this month. Wasn't expecting it until early next year at the earliest.

The great Michael Hogan is not in a good way.

GoFundMe

Fans Raise Money for ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Actor Michael Hogan After Serious Fall
    People are raising money online for “Battlestar Galactica” actor Michael Hogan’s medical care after he had a serious fall in February.

According to a GoFundMe page created on behalf of his wife Susan Hogan, the actor has been suffering from paralysis on his left side, memory loss and other health problems from a fall on Feb. 17 that caused bleeding in his brain. He is currently being cared for at the Berkley Care Center in North Vancouver, Canada.

“Though it is hard to imagine, I think it’s fair to say it is unlikely Michael will be able to work again. And for these past seven months, neither has Susan, given the circumstances,” the fundraiser description, written by Horgan’s neighbor Shari Ulrich, reads. “She is facing an uncertain future to navigate other than knowing that the financial demands will continue to be great.”

Fans quickly took notice of the fundraiser, and they began donating money to help reach the overall goal. The donations will be used to fund the family’s needs, including long-term care, medications, adaptive clothing and other expenses required to help Hogan return to his daily life.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has caused issues for Hogan’s recovery, Ulrich said on the fundraiser’s page. Physiotherapists, speech therapists and other care teams were not allowed to have contact with him due to the heightened safety precautions, but a physiotherapist is now allowed to visit him a few times per week. Susan Hogan is also allowed supervised visits with social distancing and a face mask in place.

At the time of this article’s publication, the fundraiser has seen over 1,000 donations and a total of over $62,000 to help Susan Hogan pay for medical bills and continued care. The goal is not a fixed amount, Ulrich said, but rather an ongoing attempt to meet the family’s needs.

“The real goal is to have Michael back — that sweet, funny, teasing, impish, spirited, bright light and brilliant actor and friend,” she writes. “But practically speaking, the goal is to give Susan a way forward without the crushing financial weight of the ever changing costs for his care.”

Both Hogan and his wife are actors who have appeared on film and television. Hogan has also appeared in “The Man in the High Castle” and “Fargo.”

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/battlestar-galactica-michael-hogan-fundraiser-1234778362/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I finally watched The Fall. Really enjoyed it, Dornan was just brilliant as the psychotic Paul Spector. Series 3 was very slow but damn did it deliver in the final episodes. I couldn't believe the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Dammit.

I was going to ask when it launches as. I want to watch Pysch and Monk properly but I watched the ad - USA Network isn't Paramount. :(:(

Where can I stream them?

• Advertisement

Looks like Quibi has been a total financial disaster less than 6 months after its launch it is up for sale.

Advertisement