Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Don't waste your time. It's a load of sh*t

I disagree that it was that good. :p

Does anyone know when HBOMax might arrive here?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does anyone know when HBOMax might arrive here?

It is due to roll out worldwide later this year, However Sky have an exclusive deal with HBO for the UK & Ireland that might stop it arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It is due to roll out worldwide later this year, However Sky have an exclusive deal with HBO for the UK & Ireland that might stop it arriving here.

And Sky will probably overcharge us for privilege

Not for all the content surely?

Does the deal give them broadcast rights to everything HBO?

• Advertisement

Not for all the content surely?

Does the deal give them broadcast rights to everything HBO?

Pretty much everything under the Warner tent the deal is signed till 2024.
    Sky has secured its pipeline of HBO content and will work on new shows with the U.S. cable network and its upcoming streaming service under the terms of a new deal announced Wednesday.

The deal had been widely expected and is believed to run for five years. Besides HBO shows, the new agreement also gives Sky content from Warner Bros. and from Turner channels.

Sky also has rights for Showtime.
    Sky also has an output deal with CBS Studios that gives it first dibs on Showtime programming.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-sky-hbo-programming-deal-1203388088/

Pretty much everything under the Warner tent the deal is signed till 2024.

Sky also has rights for Showtime.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-sky-hbo-programming-deal-1203388088/

Well that is all those shows out of the picture for a few years.

Just reading that HBO Max International will have advertising on it to go with what will be around the €15 price mark.

By the end of 2021 there could be 7 major players in the International steaming market to go along with another half dozen more platforms that deal with niche markets.

Netflix
    Prime
    Disney+ & Star
    Peacock
    Paramount+
    HBOMax
    AppleTV+

Filming has stopped on all the below series due to a surge Covid infections and deaths in Los Angeles.

Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
    Stations 19 (ABC)
    American Housewife (ABC)
    Black-ish (ABC)
    Mixed-ish (ABC)
    Rebel (ABC)
    This Is Us (NBC)
    9-1-1 (Fox)
    9-1-1: Lone Star (Fox)
    Last Man Standing (Fox)
    American Crime Story: Impeachment (FX)
    American Horror Story (FX)
    Mayans M.C. (FX)
    Big Shot (Disney+)
    The Orville (Hulu)
    Love, Victor (Hulu)

UNIVERSAL TELEVISION:

Mr. Mayor (NBC) (Jan. 11)
    Kenan (NBC) (Jan. 11)
    Good Girls (NBC) (Jan. 11)
    Never Have I Ever (Netflix) (Jan. 11)
    Hacks (HBO Max) (Jan. 11)
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Jan. 18)

WARNER BROS. TELEVISION:

All American (The CW), Bob ❤️ Abishola (CBS), B Positive (CBS), Call Me Kat (Fox), Mom (CBS), Shameless (Showtime), You (Netflix), all scheduled to return from holiday break on Jan. 4, now preparing to resume production week of Jan. 11.

WBTV’s Lucifer and Young Sheldon were previously scheduled to resume production Jan. 11; All Rise was previously scheduled to start on Jan. 22

TELEPICTURES:

The Ellen DeGeneres Show returning Monday, Jan. 11 (originally scheduled to return Jan. 4).

CBS STUDIOS:

Five series (listed below) scheduled to return Jan. 4, now slated to resume production Jan. 11

NCIS (CBS)
    NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
    Seal Team (CBS)
    Why Women Kill (CBS All Access)
    Diary of a Future President (Disney+)

https://deadline.com/2021/01/tv-shows-that-have-delayed-production-due-to-surge-in-covid-19-infections-deaths-1234663862/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just reading that HBO Max International will have advertising on it to go with what will be around the €15 price mark.

By the end of 2021 there could be 7 major players in the International steaming market to go along with another half dozen more platforms that deal with niche markets.

Netflix
    Prime
    Disney+ & Star
    Peacock
    Paramount+
    HBOMax
    AppleTV+

It would never be a runner, but it's a pity there's not something like a online vending machine, where you throw in credit and watch what you want e.g. HBO, rather than multiple options and their stock/catalogue. I assume most people only go for 1-2 streaming subscriptions, if they're also on a music package.

• Advertisement

It would never be a runner, but it's a pity there's not something like a online vending machine, where you throw in credit and watch what you want e.g. HBO, rather than multiple options and their stock/catalogue. I assume most people only go for 1-2 streaming subscriptions, if they're also on a music package.

A good thing really is you are not tied down to year long contracts with streaming companies so you can pick and choose monthly if you want.

Netflix
    Prime
    Disney+ & Star
    Peacock
    Paramount+
    HBOMax
    AppleTV+

And it is ad breaks - who the hell wants that?

The Arrowverse (season behind on all of them - was hoping HBOMax was my way to catch up) and Hawaii 5-0 (years behind - I believe the last one I saw was Koni and Chin’s final episode) are the only shows I can’t get on streaming.

I got to see very little during the lockdown.

Going to start my catch up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don't waste your time. It's a load of sh*t

I didn’t think it was ****, but certainly not as good as his Wipe efforts. I think a large part of it was missing his delivery, the American narration was just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A good thing really is you are not tied down to year long contracts with streaming companies so you can pick and choose monthly if you want.

I'd say that's part of the reason for HBO to limit their new movie releases to 30 days. Like Wonder Woman was added on Christmas Day and leaves later this month. So if people want it they would need to sign up within a month of a film's release rather than let them build up and watch them all in whatever month people choose to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

trashcan wrote: »
    I didn’t think it was ****, but certainly not as good as his Wipe efforts. I think a large part of it was missing his delivery, the American narration was just not as good.
    It was basically like they took the Anti-Viral Wipe and stretched it out to feature-length. The humour seems to be dumbed down and made really obvious for the US market. Cheap laughsn not the sharp humour of screenwipe.

Most of the actors got annoying very fast. You are right about it suffering without CB's narration, it is the main reason why you watch his stuff.

I haven’t started season 3 yet so don’t want to look this up in case of spoilers.

How far off is the release of Season 4 of Star Trek Discovery? Assuming there is one.

I’m guessing the Pike and Picard series hadn’t even started filming when lockdowns hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven’t started season 3 yet so don’t want to look this up in case of spoilers.

How far off is the release of Season 4 of Star Trek Discovery? Assuming there is one.

I’m guessing the Pike and Picard series hadn’t even started filming when lockdowns hit.

Season 3 hasn't finished, it's still airing, so the fourth is a year away. Iirc they're already filming season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't forget.. new series of WILTY from Friday!

Sneak peek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New series of 'Staged' too.. probably my favourite show of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Apple TV+ could be banned in the EU as the EU requires 30% European made content on the service.

what's the story with apple tv anyway..do i have to buy one of those apple stb to get it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Over the years I have noticed that a lot of Yanks cannot tell the difference between a TV show ending and being cancelled.

Can someone please tell me if the following Netflix shows ended this a conclusion to the story or were cancelled and the story left hanging...

Narcos
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    13 Reasons Why
    Gypsy
    Mindhunter
    Altered Carbon
    Seven Seconds
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
    Tidelands
    The Order
    Shadow
    The Society
    Trinkets
    Wu Assassins
    V Wars
    Messiah
    Spinning Out
    Queen Sono
    White Lines
    Away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mindhunter is on 'indefinite hold'... very likely it won't return as the actors have been released from their contracts.
    But at the end of each season of Mindhunter the story of that season comes to a resolution rather than a cliffhanger.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Over the years I have noticed that a lot of Yanks cannot tell the difference between a TV show ending and being cancelled.

Can someone please tell me if the following Netflix shows ended this a conclusion to the story or were cancelled and the story left hanging...

Narcos
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    13 Reasons Why
    Gypsy
    Mindhunter
    Altered Carbon
    Seven Seconds
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
    Tidelands
    The Order
    Shadow
    The Society
    Trinkets
    Wu Assassins
    V Wars
    Messiah
    Spinning Out
    Queen Sono
    White Lines
    Away

A Series of Unfortunate Events ended and I would recommend it.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Mindhunter is on 'indefinite hold'... very likely it won't return as the actors have been released from their contracts.
    But at the end of each season of Mindhunter the story of that season comes to a resolution rather than a cliffhanger.

I had not meant to include it in the list as I know it on that “hold” but what to separately ask what was going on with it?

Glad to know I can watch and not be left hanging waiting for answers.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    A Series of Unfortunate Events ended and I would recommend it.

Another error - didn’t meant to include this either as I know it comes to a conclusion.

I have seen bits and pieces and actually am going to start watching it later on today.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I had not meant to include it in the list as I know it on that “hold” but what to separately ask what was going on with it?
    Glad to know I can watch and not be left hanging waiting for answers.

Cribbing from Wiki for you as you are probably trying to avoid spoilers:
    Some of the reasons to suspend the series were fleshed out: cost (Fincher stated "It had a very passionate audience, but we never got the numbers that justified the cost."), production (the second season showrunner was fired and eight of the scripts were rewritten), management (co-producer Peter Mavromates said of Fincher, "Even when he wasn’t directing an episode, he was overseeing it."), and exhaustion (Fincher said "I certainly needed some time away").

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

13 Reasons Why ended.
    I think Wu Assassins is getting a second season.
    Just started the final part of Sabrina so still have 7 episodes to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The Society was cancelled. It was supposed to get a second season, but because of Covid that all went tits up, so the story never got concluded.

I found this one really funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Brilliant. :D

Advertisement