Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Favourite bit so far is when he’s alone in Lynns house being nosy and decides to take her late mother’s stair lift for a test drive complete with running commentary.

“Coming on to the home straight now, let’s open her up and see what she can do.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'm a couple of hours into the new podcast. Its top drawer stuff.

is that some kind of pun?

80_300x300_Front_Color-White.jpg?Size=Medium&AttributeValue=NA&c=True&region={%22name%22:%22FrontCenter%22,%22width%22:2.75,%22height%22:1.7542338,%22alignment%22:%22MiddleCenter%22,%22orientation%22:0,%22dpi%22:200,%22crop_x%22:0,%22crop_y%22:0,%22crop_h%22:350,%22crop_w%22:550,%22scale%22:0.22177419,%22template%22:{%22id%22:108991992,%22params%22:{}}}

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Looking at cars there and my partridge senses tingled at the mention of a Bang & Olufsen sound system :) best get some brown leather driving gloves while I’m at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Only two episodes into it so far and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. I thought Alan was dead and buried after This Time (which was piss poor) but there is still a bit of life in him yet. I'm really liking Alan's relationship with his dog Seldom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Only two episodes into it so far and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. I thought Alan was dead and buried after This Time (which was piss poor) but there is still a bit of life in him yet. I'm really liking Alan's relationship with his dog Seldom :pac:

The format of This Time killed it for me and put constrains on the writing and what they could do with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but This Time gave us Martin Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

fryup wrote: »
    but This Time gave us Martin Brennan

And plenty of other great moments. Only the final episode was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm a couple of hours into the new podcast. Its top drawer stuff.

sorry folks - where can I find the pod? It is not on spotify, nor pocket casts? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

everlast75 wrote: »
    sorry folks - where can I find the pod? It is not on spotify, nor pocket casts? :confused:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/From-the-Oasthouse-The-Alan-Partridge-Podcast-Audiobook/B089M9XZW5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

"I've another one with Des Lynam and a van, but I think you get the picture"

• Advertisement

The later episodes are much better, especially Alan recalling his trips to L.A. and the stalker saga heating up. I actually laughed out loud at Partridge for the first time in a long time :) I think I need to temper my expectations a bit: some Alan is better than no Alan.

BTW Alan mentions that he is a man in his late 50s; he was born in 1955, so should be 65, but I think they are knocking a few years off the character, so that Coogan and Alan are now approximately the same age.

This Time with Alan Partridge is coming back for a second series.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a33935676/alan-partridge-podcast-easter-eggs-steve-coogan/

Also, Coogan wants to do an Partridge tour, and there is some other Alan series in the works, a history of Britain

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-08-12/alan-partridge-tour-steve-coogan/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

On another note, I found this Brexit debate between Malcolm Tucker and Alan, written by Iannucci, for The Big Issue.

https://www.bigissue.com/culture/alan-partridge-vs-malcolm-tucker-how-our-iannucci-exclusive-broke-internet/

Some laugh out loud moments: I'd love to see the two of them actually go head to head in person :pac:

Alan (to Malcolm): Have you tried mindfulness? I know three people who've given it a go. One of them killed himself, but it worked wonders for the other two.

:pac::pac::pac:

Reading that actually made me realise how much I miss Malcom Tucker. You're right, they have to give Alan a chat show again, so he can interview Malcom. Would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Started listening today, currently on the episode about him getting ready for his date, it's pretty good although it doesn't really feel like these are podcast episodes, as there's no structure, it's more just him rambling over specific topics.

I also had assumed this would have been released in podcast format opposed to an audiobook, its a slightly odd format for an audiobook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

526653.jpg

Ok, finished from the Oasthouse ("FTO").

Few thoughts:

I think if you like how the Gibbons write Partridge, in particular for I, Partridge and Nomad, you'll enjoy this. I do find it entertaining, and enjoyable, but not to the level of IAP. This version of Alan is less extreme in terms of his actions, opinions, and his run ins with other people.

FTO is an odd format - like an audiobook pretending to be a podcast. The chapters can work quite well, and a generally fairly self contained. There is a kind of throughline (which I'll come back to) but it lends itself well to dipping in and out of. Not sure what the logic was of calling it a podcast at all.

There are some great lines in it, and some very true Patridge moments though so I don't want to be too negative.
    High Noon becomes more and more of a feature as the story goes on, and concludes in a fairly underwhelming way. There's also a more subtle undercurrent of Alan trying to deal with his own unhappiness.

I would have prefered a more defined storyline/plot - this is a problem I have with a lot of the Gibbons work where it just never really seems to go anywhere.

steve_r wrote: »

Few thoughts:

I think if you like how the Gibbons write Partridge, in particular for I, Partridge and Nomad, you'll enjoy this. I do find it entertaining, and enjoyable, but not to the level of IAP. This version of Alan is less extreme in terms of his actions, opinions, and his run ins with other people.

FTO is an odd format - like an audiobook pretending to be a podcast. The chapters can work quite well, and a generally fairly self contained. There is a kind of throughline (which I'll come back to) but it lends itself well to dipping in and out of. Not sure what the logic was of calling it a podcast at all.

There are some great lines in it, and some very true Patridge moments though so I don't want to be too negative.
    High Noon becomes more and more of a feature as the story goes on, and concludes in a fairly underwhelming way. There's also a more subtle undercurrent of Alan trying to deal with his own unhappiness.

I would have prefered a more defined storyline/plot - this is a problem I have with a lot of the Gibbons work where it just never really seems to go anywhere.

I think the Oasthouse is much better than This Time with Alan Partridge, and Nomad, which seemed to be very much Alan by numbers. We're getting some new stuff in this series, and there are some cracking lines. In general, I'd prefer if they took Alan in some new directions, rather than back in the studio with Sidekick Simon, or presenting a show on the BBC. It's great to hear his everyday interactions with regular folk - Uber drivers, young offenders, his maid, even Lynn - and I think that is what truly makes Alan funny. Him being himself in an uninterested world, and commenting on the people the encounters. I'd listen to Alan ordering in McDonalds, or queuing in a post office. The more mundane, and trapped in mediocrity Alan is, the funnier the show is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think the Oasthouse is much better than This Time with Alan Partridge, and Nomad, which seemed to be very much Alan by numbers. We're getting some new stuff in this series, and there are some cracking lines. In general, I'd prefer if they took Alan in some new directions, rather than back in the studio with Sidekick Simon, or presenting a show on the BBC. It's great to hear his everyday interactions with regular folk - Uber drivers, young offenders, his maid, even Lynn - and I think that is what truly makes Alan funny. Him being himself in an uninterested world, and commenting on the people the encounters. I'd listen to Alan ordering in McDonalds, or queuing in a post office. The more mundane, and trapped in mediocrity Alan is, the funnier the show is.

Yeah, I think the big mistake with This time was putting Alan in a very artificial environment, alongside dislikeable celebrities. Didn't work at all for me.

He works best when interacting with normal people who highlight his own absurdity

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Finally Norwich acknowledges its most famous son...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-54277794

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Yeah, I think the big mistake with This time was putting Alan in a very artificial environment, alongside dislikeable celebrities. Didn't work at all for me.

I watched the series again yesterday. His interactions with Ruth Duggan was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

his worst new stuff is definitely when he is in tv presenter mode. It's OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Fernando named his daughter 'Ruby' - possibly keeping on the tradition of naming a child after a song?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

PieOhMy wrote:
    Fernando named his daughter 'Ruby' - possibly keeping on the tradition of naming a child after a song?

Jack and Ruby. Are they named after Jack Ruby who shot Lee Harvey Oswald? A topic Alan has talked about in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Cazale wrote: »
    Jack and Ruby. Are they named after Jack Ruby who shot Lee Harvey Oswald? A topic Alan has talked about in the past.

Interesting theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Few thoughts:

Agree with this, it feels as if they have never listened to a podcast and this is how they believe a podcast should be, outside of the emails from listeners, it felt more like him just wandering around talking into an audio recorder, the structure just felt wrong with what they were trying to do. Maybe they were worried it would end up as a an audio version of Mid Morning Matters if they went down a typical podcast format, which wouldn't have been a bad thing at all. Mid Morning Matters would be perfect in audio form

Was still enjoyable though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

His line about the Handmaids Tale had me in knots. Something like "I liked it but it's very one-sided" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Advertisement