Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else feeling the bite of Brexit with online shopping yet by the way?

I went to order something on ebay a moment ago without really giving it a second thought - UK only postage.

'Grand, I'll use Parcel Motel....oh right. Off to ebay.de for me'

Also waiting on two fairly hefty items price wise from the UK which should have arrived by now, absolutely bricking it that they won't get here before the 1st and I'll be murdered with taxes :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've decided to pick up all the akira volumes. Have 4 of them now. Didn't reckon on brexit. Not sure when I can pick up the final 2 and doubt the continental amazon stores have them in english.

Hopefully I can find them elsewhere. Amazon is just so handy as you know it will definitely be there.

Master of the Universe

Have you seen the 30th Anniversary box set? first time it's been printed in English in the Japanese reading format. Looks absolutely beautiful, comes with the Akira club book too.

They had the full set of the standard volumes the last time I was in Forbidden Planet, although I'd be very wary of buying any print media in shops which people have been mauling and breathing on :eek:

Here's something else worth checking out by the way that's a little unknown and can be had cheap.

In 1992, Mandarin published volume 1, but the complete Steve Oliff coloured version. There's no other colour printing of it, apart from the original US comic release.

I still prefer the non coloured, but it's pretty interesting to see all in one volume.

You can identify it as it has that 'The Beginning' banner across the front.

IMG-20201222-124046392.jpg
    IMG-20201222-124054256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=41283

New OGA with a 5 inch screen. I was going to see if any of the clones did a 4:3 screen but I might just get this since its pre-assembled and it would be nice to support the people who got these newer devices going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you seen the 30th Anniversary box set? first time it's been printed in English in the Japanese reading format. Looks absolutely beautiful, comes with the Akira club book too.

They had the full set of the standard volumes the last time I was in Forbidden Planet, although I'd be very wary of buying any print media in shops which people have been mauling and breathing on :eek:

Here's something else worth checking out by the way that's a little unknown and can be had cheap.

In 1992, Mandarin published volume 1, but the complete Steve Oliff coloured version. There's no other colour printing of it, apart from the original US comic release.

I still prefer the non coloured, but it's pretty interesting to see all in one volume.

You can identify it as it has that 'The Beginning' banner across the front.

IMG-20201222-124046392.jpg
    IMG-20201222-124054256.jpg

Got lucky with a pre-order for the 30 Anniversary set off Amazon, only paid £90 for it. The rrp is €200.

Still a great price for all 6 volumes of Akira and the Akira Club book in hardback with the display case, unfortunately the dog got at one of the corners of my box :(.

Also the new right to left version has been retranslated.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

£90?? holy crap, what an absolute steal! They've definitely been selling for more that 200 on the second hand market as they were out of print for ages (might still be actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »

That screen still impresses too.

536905.jpg

It's a good few years since we all got these modern LCD's installed in the Nomads(think it was a dealextreme lcd at the time that was the "go to"). I wonder is there a better screen we could swap in now? What would an OLED look like in there?

£90?? holy crap, what an absolute steal! They've definitely been selling for more that 200 on the second hand market as they were out of print for ages (might still be actually)

There was a new print run earlier in the year of the box set, probably oop again now though.

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    It's a good few years since we all got these modern LCD's installed in the Nomads(think it was a dealextreme lcd at the time that was the "go to"). I wonder is there a better screen we could swap in now? What would an OLED look like in there?

Yeah that brings me back! :D they were dealextreme car reverse cameras.

Wonder is there an OLED that would fit? That would really be something else.
    There was a new print run earlier in the year of the box set, probably oop again now though.

Thanks for the heads up, at least more copies might mean the price may have come down a bit, will take another look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

From a quick look, doesn't look like anyone has gone the OLED route but they have gone the RGB screen driver route, using a screen which then accepts RGB instead of just using the composite output. So, crisper LCD?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up, at least more copies might mean the price may have come down a bit, will take another look!

Book Depository say they'll have stock at New Years for €130.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set-Katsuhiro-Otomo/9781632364616

Take with a grain of salt though as it's been out for a while.

Failing that TRSI still have stock at $150. Fair warning their shipping is expensive, now more so due to covid at $90.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Manga-Box-Set-Hardcover

The TRSI set is in stock though so it will arrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

megaten wrote: »
    https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=41283

New OGA with a 5 inch screen. I was going to see if any of the clones did a 4:3 screen but I might just get this since its pre-assembled and it would be nice to support the people who got these newer devices going.
    That looks pretty good and I can see myself buying it.
    The first ODroid was a nice bit of kit, doing exactly what I wanted it to, that is play Gameboy games... all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone else feeling the bite of Brexit with online shopping yet by the way?

I went to order something on ebay a moment ago without really giving it a second thought - UK only postage.

'Grand, I'll use Parcel Motel....oh right. Off to ebay.de for me'

Also waiting on two fairly hefty items price wise from the UK which should have arrived by now, absolutely bricking it that they won't get here before the 1st and I'll be murdered with taxes :eek:
    Yup already feeling it, wanted a Chao plush and a hoodie off the Sega site, it's e10 postage on eu
    "I wonder if it's be cheaper - oh wait I can't"
    Was much cheaper to get it through the UK site usually, hated paying a tenner for like a pin or a mask.
    Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

A new game released for the Nintendo Vs system, only 30 years later!

It would be seriously great if it kicked off a new scene for the red tent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Inviere

Quick but interesting side-by-side of Arcade v Saturn ports. Apart from the expected resolution & framerate hits...it's interesting to see where Sega pared things back to port to the Saturn.

Die Hard Arcade appears to fare very well, until I remembered that's ST-V hardware, which is in essence, a Saturn in an arcade cab.

VF2 looked great too, until I noticed the background trickery

I thought for a moment the Russians would be leaving o1s1n alone...not to be though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Other than the original release of daytona it's actually amazing how well Sega converted it's model 2 games to the saturn.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Other than the original release of daytona it's actually amazing how well Sega converted it's model 2 games to the saturn.

Indeed, Sega were a hardware & software powerhouse back then. Also, the video above can show the kids of today why arcades were so popular...the games & tech were streets ahead of what you could have at home.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Both versions have issues. The first looks poor but plays right, CCE looks good but plays like crap.

Both versions have issues. The first looks poor but plays right, CCE looks good but plays like crap.

I thought cce played a little better but had an awful new soundtrack?

Edit: ah I see they changed the handling to be more like Sega rally which is sacrilege.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This
    The original on Saturn looked like a rough copy of the arcade game but played great.
    CCE looked better but somehow less like the arcade game and it played even less like the original.

Book Depository say they'll have stock at New Years for €130.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set-Katsuhiro-Otomo/9781632364616

Take with a grain of salt though as it's been out for a while.

Failing that TRSI still have stock at $150. Fair warning their shipping is expensive, now more so due to covid at $90.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Manga-Box-Set-Hardcover

The TRSI set is in stock though so it will arrive.

Now in stock at €127 on Book Depository. You'll have a very hard time finding it at a better price.

Master of the Universe

Now in stock at €127 on Book Depository. You'll have a very hard time finding it at a better price.

Thanks man! Ordered and paid for before I even knew what I was doing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Wow, that is a great watch.
    And a nice device, not sure how useful the device could have been, but it would have been against the Psion 3, though that was more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It works, felt that anxious to see if the games working :pac:

Retronauts laying down some harsh rose tinted pec shattering truths in the die hard episode. Namely die hard trilogy is not a great game.

Have to agree. At the time it was a very early game when everything on the ps1 was exciting. 1996 was the first year the ps1 started to take off. It was novel to get a game that was three different games.

The die hard game was rubbish. The die hard 3 one was a fun diversion and a technically impressive but not a whole lot of fun once you got to the harder missions.

Die hard 2 is.... Grand. Definitely not the classic some people make it out to be. The framerate is chronic but I do like how the scenery has a lot of destructive elements. However as a lightgun shooter there's way better, virtua cop is a much better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Have to agree with that.

None of them hold up all that well now. At the time they were pretty spectacular but I think that's the case for a lot of titles in the early 3D era.

Die Hard II was the only part of that game I liked, and it was only because there was nothing as good on the PS at the time.
    I mean, the Saturn had an embarrasingly good range of lightgun games, from VC to HotD.
    I wasn't a massive Time Crisis or Point Blank fan either.
    While Die Hard II was a mess of polygons and noise, they were most often fun polygons and noise.
    I wasn't a fan of Alien Trilogy either, better FPS titles out there and Alien Resurrection rendered it moot anyway.

• Advertisement

Alien trilogy was rubbish as well. I got it for 2 euro when the ps1 was winding down. Remember liking it at release but playing it then you realise the weapons were crap as we're the weapons and level design and the engine was halfway between wolfenstein and doom. Did not age well.

Advertisement