Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longford travellers in major row on towns main Street.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pgj2015 wrote: »
    channel 4.

Thank you Enda Kenny

It's all you will be ever remembered for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

the thing that must really annoy the British is, they arent even British, they should be our problem really. Thankfully they arent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

KevRossi wrote: »
    They do it because they know they can get away with it. For all the hard man shouting they can get their tails between their legs fairly quickly when they know they are up against it.

About 15 years ago they started showing up in the Cologne-Dusseldorf area during the summer claiming it was some form of traditional pilgrimage for themselves. They were viewed with curiosity, but welcomed. Until they started fighting, smashing up stuff, robbing shops and refusing to pay the bills.

Then they showed up illegally camping, council tried to move them and were told to fcuk off, police asked them to move on and were told the same. Police then returned with an order to leave, this was ignored, a fight started and the police effectively beat them off the property, confiscated a load of cars, fined them and sold the cars when nobody paid the fine.

They still show up every year, but these days this is their reaction when the German cops show up on Day 2..... they all leave without so much as raising their voices.

This really is the bottom line with them... They know they can get away with it here and try the same thing elsewhere then reality sets in... I grew up in an area with a large amount of traveller familys, some ok, some not ok... But i'd never trust any of them at the back of it all.

I've went to school with some who were academically very good, better than average in fact but in reality never had a chance to reach their full potential... Sad really.

Had my run ins with them too, always found the best thing to do was stand up to them. Never had a problem after that... I've seen people that ran once, they gave most of their life doing it after that... If they smell fear or weakness that person is f**ked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Those caravans are worth 50k plus

Provide proof of a legitimate source of income with filed tax returns showing how you paid for them or seize them

Why does this not happen?

Because it would happen to me

id say yer man paddy doherty isnt the worst, you wouldnt get john connors admitting there was some bad travellers.

id say yer man paddy doherty isnt the worst, you wouldnt get john connors admitting there was some bad travellers.

He's the most dangerous type of them all, a very clever one!

John Connors is not very clever, he's proved that with some of the stuff he's come out with. He's just lapping up the few quid RTE are willing to pay for his verbal scutter....

Oops! wrote: »
    He's the most dangerous type of them all, a very clever one!

John Connors is not very clever, he's proved that with some of the stuff he's come out with. He's just lapping up the few quid RTE are willing to pay for his verbal scutter....

A clever traveller will know that the way most of them live isnt the right way and they need to change, so maybe he is genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Oops! wrote: »
    This really is the bottom line with them... They know they can get away with it here and try the same thing elsewhere then reality sets in... I grew up in an area with a large amount of traveller familys, some ok, some not ok... But i'd never trust any of them at the back of it all.

I've went to school with some who were academically very good, better than average in fact but in reality never had a chance to reach their full potential... Sad really.

Had my run ins with them too, always found the best thing to do was stand up to them. Never had a problem after that... I've seen people that ran once, they gave most of their life doing it after that... If they smell fear or weakness that person is f**ked...

they respect nothing but force , if you act polite , they view that as weakness , primitive cultures believe in squashing what they see as weak

A clever traveller will know that the way most of them live isnt the right way and they need to change, so maybe he is genuine.

travellers have a different definition of "clever " than the rest of us

ripping someone off

ripping the state off

thats clever in the eyes of a traveller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    travellers have a different definition of "clever " that the rest of us

ripping someone off

ripping the state off

thats clever in the eyes of a traveller

+1

That's why they're worthless to society.

They contribute nothing.

Every.Single.Last.One.Of.Them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    they respect nothing but force , if you act polite , they view that as weakness , primitive cultures believe in squashing what they see as weak

Supposedly this is how the Gaelic chieftains used to behave Back in the day, when one came into power he’d kick the sh1t out of some rival as a way of showing dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Another day another traveller thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Another day another traveller thread.
    Do you think if they behaved in a civilised manner then there would be no need for threads on them?
    Anybody mention the amount of sulky races going on at the moment by Travelers on various roads around the country during a pandemic lock-down?
    They do this because as an distinct ethnic minority, they believe that normal rules, laws, and lock-downs do not apply to them.

I was just thinking, was it a huge mistake to allow the Travellers to behave the way they have in the last couple of months at funerals. some of them already believe they are different/special and can do what they like. But we are in extraordinary times, a pandemic that is effecting the whole world and with the lives of our elderly and sick on the line. They must be thinking they are invincible at this stage. If anyone was in any doubt about the contempt they have for our Country, just look at the way they behaved during this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

More travellers in the midlands, shows how big and organised travellers are becoming all over ireland hiring Brazilian gunmen to settle drug deaths . One time towns like Clara were known for great footballers , now they’ll be known as bases for travellers drugs empires

https://www.thejournal.ie/arrests-clara-offaly-murder-5109411-May2020/

• Advertisement

just read an RTE report from paul reynolds in relation to the hiring of the brazilian hit squad

he managed to completely avoid highlighting that this forms part of a broader ongoing traveller feud

glad i no longer pay the licence fee , il do half a day in mountjoy if need be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.herald.ie/news/five-arrests-after-mass-brawl-sparked-by-100-drugs-debt-39236922.html

"A mass brawl involving youths and women in north Co Dublin which led to five arrests started because of a row over an alleged €100 drugs debt."

I had to do a double take. €100.
    Not €10,000, not €1,000.

You could nearly find that in a piggy bank FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Rival traveller families were involved in a very viilent row on the main street of Longford Town this morning, brandishing hand held weapons and throwing bricks and bottles as ordinary men women and children had to flee or dodge for their own safety.
    Something has to be done before someone gets killed.
    https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/502167/update-two-men-held-over-violent-longford-street-row.html

There's a video of 2 of them fighting on the street in Longford last week. A Nevin and a McDonagh, surprisingly enough.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    More travellers in the midlands, shows how big and organised travellers are becoming all over ireland hiring Brazilian gunmen to settle drug deaths . One time towns like Clara were known for great footballers , now they’ll be known as bases for travellers drugs empires

https://www.thejournal.ie/arrests-clara-offaly-murder-5109411-May2020/

That's exactly what we need in Ireland, imported prisoners when we haven't even enough prison space to deal with our regulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

ELM327 wrote: »
    Can't we just rehouse them on an island somewhere

The EU did just that,

They sent them to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Good to see CAB calling to some of the Traveller burglary and Drug gangs in Longford today seizing many vehicles and finding a lot of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

https://www.herald.ie/news/five-arrests-after-mass-brawl-sparked-by-100-drugs-debt-39236922.html

"A mass brawl involving youths and women in north Co Dublin which led to five arrests started because of a row over an alleged €100 drugs debt."

I had to do a double take. €100.
    Not €10,000, not €1,000.

You could nearly find that in a piggy bank FFS.

It's either a cover for alot more money.....Gaurd asks what was fight about..answer...he owes me 100 euro...oh right
    OR....he owes me 10,000....oh yeah what for?...er ah...selling drugs.
    OR the reputation needed for not being crossed... If he did that to him over 100 euro I'm sure as hell not going to cross him. Like the Triad gangs used to kill people in public like an execution, to instill fear.
    OR a bit of both.
    OR it's exactly as it says on the tin..with one thing leading to another.
    Look up stick fighting in Irish clans in the 19th century..where there were mass brawls and many deaths over who won at marbles🀔.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Good to see CAB calling to some of the Traveller burglary and Drug gangs in Longford today seizing many vehicles and finding a lot of cash.

Yes a significant haul of goodies, hopefully they put a, few, lads behind bars too, though no arrests were made today.
    https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/556075/longford-crime-gang-dealt-significant-blow-by-cab-raids-say-garda-chiefs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ah, more of the tiny minority who give the rest a bad name.

CAB are giving them a right hard time the last while, its great to see, you would love to see their faces as the raids are going on. CAB was a great invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Don’t you worry lads. These guys will get suspended sentences that will have their heads spinning and strike the fear of God into anyone else contemplating a life of crime.

lalababa wrote: »
    Look up stick fighting in Irish clans in the 19th century..where there were mass brawls and many deaths over who won at marbles🀔.

I'm aware of those. Thankfully the rest of us have moved on and don't think cracking open someone's skull is a way of settling differences in the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah, more of the tiny minority who give the rest a bad name.
    Those damm bad apples again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

CAB are giving them a right hard time the last while, its great to see, you would love to see their faces as the raids are going on. CAB was a great invention.

So maybe we live in a functioning state after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These raids should be daily.....

No way should these scum bags be getting away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

topper75 wrote: »
    So maybe we live in a functioning state after all.

Why, were you having doubts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

DellyBelly wrote: »

Sounds very tasteful:

including "marble on every internal surface and pure granite pillars and fittings".

The occupant should consider a career in interior design.

Sounds very tasteful:

including "marble on every internal surface and pure granite pillars and fittings".

The occupant should consider a career in interior design.

Sounds more like the inside of a church than a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Must have cost a fortune to heat the place :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Must have cost a fortune to heat the place :pac::pac::pac:

Campfire in every room

what I could never figure out is why do they hate each other so much? all travellers not just the longford ones. you would think they would get on if anything, seeing as no one else likes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Feuding is part of their culture.

what I could never figure out is why do they hate each other so much? all travellers not just the longford ones. you would think they would get on if anything, seeing as no one else likes them.

Overwhelming sense of pride and this "honour" culture.

• Advertisement

if they had any brain they would just ignore each other and get on with their lives. the lack of work has to be a huge factor in the feuding, too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Less a fued as a turf war.

It's gangs fighting over territory and business, one of the names in the Indo article was a major mover in drugs tru the Midlands into the west since the 1990s, the other is allegedly tied in with the newer Keneghan organisation.

That's the background, and the politicians and authorities/media are playing it down terming it a fued.

It's a laugh really.... There is one FF Councillor in Longford calling on CAB to do something about these gangsters for the last 10 years, and then another writing them (not) character references for their recent court case.

Says it all about who's in who's pocket....

Less a fued as a turf war.

It's gangs fighting over territory and business, one of the names in the Indo article was a major mover in drugs tru the Midlands into the west since the 1990s, the other is allegedly tied in with the newer Keneghan organisation.

That's the background, and the politicians and authorities/media are playing it down terming it a fued.

It's a laugh really.... There is one FF Councillor in Longford calling on CAB to do something about these gangsters for the last 10 years, and then another writing them (not) character references for their recent court case.

I was just taking generally about why travellers are always feuding but yes I get the impression that the gardai are going after these guys like the way they did in limerick with the Dundons but as you say its being downplayed a fair bit.
    hopefully the are put away for a long time.

I was just taking generally about why travellers are always feuding but yes I get the impression that the gardai are going after these guys like the way they did in limerick with the Dundons but as you say its being downplayed a fair bit.
    hopefully the are put away for a long time.

Outside of Dublin its reckoned 90% of drugs market is controlled by travellers. Limerick,Sligo,Galway,Wexford,Longford , Clare ,Westmeath etc etc.
    Biggest problem for travellers these days is where to bury all the cash.
    Everywhere they put in their horses would be a good place for CAB to start digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why, were you having doubts?

In relation to some groups appearing to be above and beyond the law, yes I'm afraid. As a state, I think we are very much a work in progress. The Travelling community are not the sole offenders either. I find the raids most reassuring. It is hard for a cynic such as I even to fault the diligence of the CAB. We can but praise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Edit - in hindsight - this thread is now quite a few months old. Any discussion that was to be had on this topic is done and dusted. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement