Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Bitcoin and ethereum taking a dive now.

Ripple holding up well.

Lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Bitcoin and ethereum taking a dive now.

Ripple holding up well.

shakeout before the breakout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

This thread reminds me why I don’t come on Boards more often, what a cesspit!

oh come on. no one's having a big go at you.. but misinformation about taxation should be corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Whelo79 wrote: »
    $59,500 to 58,500 is a dive????

Yep. Look at XRP at the same time and now.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    $59,500 to 58,500 is a dive????

In short time yes.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    That CME gap won't fill itself. :pac:

GME thing is still going at $200 I'd think.

Sure it's only worth I 10th of that at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Converting Bitcoin to Euro isn’t a taxable event that needs to be reported to revenue? Whatever you say Tarzan.

Yes. Because that’s what I said. :rolleyes:
    Woeful attempt of digging your way out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Lmao

And we thought Johnny flash was bad Lord rest his soul..... Got some laugh at that....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Now in fairness he did go on to explain in the proceeding posts
    Sure we are still waiting for poineerpro to give us a pick and the reasons why it will make us money.
    Get the feeling we will be waiting a long time.

What is the acceptable format for picks round here?
    Is any synopsis of why required?
    Is the the following style of pick acceptable?

Give me a A
    Give me a N
    Give me a K
    Give me a R

Certain postErs Looking foR a moon mission will get on this rocket!

The bar is set very low round these parts, the two above would be classed as a deep dive into why to purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Is it even worth it for newbies to buy BTC or ETH this cycle? Would it be a better shout to go for 2 others in the top 20 like ADA and EOS then chance 2 others outside the top 20, perhaps DAI and ZEC and don't spread things out any more than that. Bear in mind I'd be playing with chump change compared to most of you here (sub 1k).

Or would it be best to just go for 2 coins max outside the top 20 and hope for the best, given the small amount of capital I'm putting in

(I know I'm a bit late to the party...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are not doing yourself any favours and are digging yourself deeper with almost every post. The €250 has been explained to you by several people and you still don't get it. The million satoshis wasn't profit, it was their weekly buy to add to their pot.

Not explained by the OP , because they where exposed as plankton larping as a whale.
    Making so much bank, going to quit day job and move to Portugal to avoid CGT.

€250 in a week..... bragging about it and posting about quitting day job to trade full time, moving to Portugal to avoid CGT, think about that for a few moments........€250 be it profit or DCA into BTC.......in a week during a BULL MARKET

The Titan made a big move of €250 into BTC after a week of trading in a BULL MARKET!
    Should be called out for the quit job move to Portugal BS, if the post was about making €250, i would be impressed if it was not for the facade of being a Titan, i was super impressed and delighted for the poster in the Theta thread who made €20k and was going. to now convert the attic, he was honest, no larping and leading newbies astray.

€250 in a week..... bragging about it and posting about quitting day job to trade full time, moving to Portugal to avoid CGT, think about that for a few moments........€250 be it profit or DCA into BTC.......in a week during a BULL MARKET
    Why would a bull crypto market have any impact on somebody’s disposable fist income?
    We’re talking about retail investors not professional traders.

I’m all for calling out spoofers. But I think belittling the size of somebody’s investment is really pathetic.
    Especially when you are talking about a single purchase which tells you nothing of their overall position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not explained by the OP , because they where exposed as plankton larping as a whale.

The Titan made a big move of €250 into BTC after a week of trading in a BULL MARKET!
    Should be called out for the quit job move to Portugal BS, if the post was about making €250, i would be impressed if it was not for the facade of being a Titan, i was super impressed and delighted for the poster in the Theta thread who made €20k and was going. to now convert the attic, he was honest, no larping and leading newbies astray.

You haven't a clue what other people's crypto holding are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I agree with Dirk insofar as I would prefer to see people giving their rationale re. the fundamentals of any project they mention here. As otherwise, there's a possibility that some are just punting on pure hopium.

On someone DCAing in €250/week, that's a decent wedge of cash to DCA in - if that's being pursued on a regular basis.

As regards looking out for newbies, newbies have a duty to themselves to mind themselves (as have we all). Because there's $ at stake, this space is toxic AF. That's not going to change. Anyone who doesn't realise very quickly that there is all sorts of shilling going on - whether conscious/pre-meditated or otherwise - is likely to get badly burnt if they don't think for themselves. Everyone has to be responsible for their own decision making at the end of the day.

I've been around this space for a few years - packed in the day job and relocated in the last bull run - and all that has taught me is the more time I spend on crypto, the less I know. I haven't bought anything since March 2020 and I think its unlikely I'll be buying anything in 2021 even though I suspect this bull run has another 6 months in it.

I agree with Dirk insofar as I would prefer to see people giving their rationale
    "Post you reasoning" is a perfectly valid question.

But at the same time. "I just have a hunch". It a possible (albeit misguided) response.
    On someone DCAing in €250/week, that's a decent wedge of cash to DCA in - if that's being pursued on a regular basis.
    Well if it's not regular it's not DCA to be fair.
    As I said above, that amount in the longer term and you've be sitting on a 6 figure stack right now. If we make a habit of validating people posts by their investment we're only inviting the spoof brigade.
    And if you are going to crap on somebody elses DCA . Post your own FFS.

Mellor wrote: »
    But at the same time. "I just have a hunch". It a possible (albeit misguided) response.
    I guess someone can also say 'i just have a hunch' and that's useful info in itself (insofar as I'd be more inclined to ignore said info). Providing a few lines as to why someone thinks a project is a runner can be insightful for others in terms of understanding whats going on with a project and how thoughtful someone has been in arriving at said conclusion.
    Well if it's not regular it's not DCA to be fair.
    Correct.
    If we make a habit of validating people posts by their investment we're only inviting the spoof brigade.
    For the most part, I agree. However, the more $ someone has put at risk, the more thought they're likely to have put into taking a position (unless we're talking about a degen gambler)....which is why it's good to hear that rationale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

How about Siacoin?

However, the more $ someone has put at risk, the more thought they're likely to have put into taking a position

The more they have at risk. Sure, I'd accept that has a correlation with how seriously they've researched.
    The more that they say they have at risk is not the same though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Hi folks; what the general consensus on here about BTC? yes or no? Many thanks.

The more they have at risk. Sure, I'd accept that has a correlation with how seriously they've researched.
    The more that they say they have at risk is not the same though. :P

Yup. For sure - but it's like any info gleaned from boards - you have to read between the lines (except that's on steroids when it comes to crypto due to the shill factor).

• Advertisement

I can't speak for the consensus, but it's a yes from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

I can't speak for the consensus, but it's a yes from me.

I was thinking a big dump in value would incur a big surge in buyers thus propelling the value 2 or 3 times the current value...only a freakish event can stop it moving forward imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

As a newcomer to the crypto game, (2 months actually is a complete newbie), I just want to say that I love seeing a post by an experienced player recommending a specific coin along with a few lines about why its worth considering. (I presume a brief explanation of why a coin looks a good investment means more to the likes of me than it does to the experienced poster).

I've been learning as much as I can about doing DD, so I use that info to start me off on a search of a project. Somebody came on here and called Boards a "cess-pit". i don't agree at all. I have learned so much from the various posters here its hard to explain.

We are all in here for the same reason i guess, and that is to make some €s from investing in cryptos. (well the likes of me are also in here to learn). If we can help each other, that's great for the boards crypto community. And I speak for all the newbies when I express my gratitude for the free advice and helpful posts that appear on the forum.

basically, I just want to say that not everyone thinks its a cesspit round here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I know you your intentions were good but I've been reading this thread for over a year now and your post made me laugh.

I was thinking a big dump in value would incur a big surge in buyers thus propelling the value 2 or 3 times the current value...only a freakish event can stop it moving forward imo.

An interesting video released by 'Guy' yesterday on why he thinks the USA allowing EFTs related to BTC will propel the price this year, I'll see can I find it and post. I don't understand all of what he said but looks promising

connie147 wrote: »
    As a newcomer to the crypto game, (2 months actually is a complete newbie), I just want to say that I love seeing a post by an experienced player recommending a specific coin along with a few lines about why its worth considering. (I presume a brief explanation of why a coin looks a good investment means more to the likes of me than it does to the experienced poster).

I've been learning as much as I can about doing DD, so I use that info to start me off on a search of a project. Somebody came on here and called Boards a "cess-pit". i don't agree at all. I have learned so much from the various posters here its hard to explain.

We are all in here for the same reason i guess, and that is to make some €s from investing in cryptos. (well the likes of me are also in here to learn). If we can help each other, that's great for the boards crypto community. And I speak for all the newbies when I express my gratitude for the free advice and helpful posts that appear on the forum.

basically, I just want to say that not everyone thinks its a cesspit round here.

Well in that vein:

Bitcoin has a track record. It's the sector leader in capitalisation, whether one likes it or not, it has a definite utility as a digital store of value often compared to gold. So similar is it to gold, that many analysts believe at least some of the recently expected rise in the value of gold that didn't eventuate - that was expected due to fiat money supply increasing - was because investors turned to bitcoin instead.

The other thing bitcoin has going for it and it's future is the steady and relentless adoption by conventional financial markets and institutions. Where talk of third party financial interest is aften mentioned in the schill spiel for dross coins, it's actually a case of active participation when it comes to bitcoin.

Visa, Paypal, Tesla, Grayscale, Microstrategy to name some of the top players now.

Previously successful and sceptical investors are almost falling over themselves as they rush to recant their early scepticism and criticisms:
    Howard Marks, co-founder of alternative investment manager Oaktree Capital, says he has reconsidered his previous “dismissive” stance on bitcoin.

The investor, who is worth $2.1 billion according to Forbes, previously said in a 2017 memo that cryptocurrency was “an unfounded fad.” The comment was “a knee-jerk reaction without information,” Marks conceded in a video interview with the Korea Economic Daily on Monday.
    Saying his early comments hadn’t been proven correct so far, Marks added that, with bitcoin now over $50,000, people who bought at $5,000 “look right.”...

Marks also said in a recent Oaktree memo that his son “thankfully owns a meaningful amount” of bitcoin.
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/billionaire-investor-howard-marks-warming-144147871.html :)

Others billionaire investors who have changed their tune on Bitcoin include Mark Cuban and Jeff Gundlach. The investment bank Morgan Stanley has changed it's mind and is offering bitcoin investments to it's clients due to the huge demand from it's clients. Other investment funds are now positive, like Jeffries.

This stuff isn't the 'partners' rubbish you get with dross coins, this is actual real investment, and it's just getting started and barring a general financial collapse, will most likely keep snowballing, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The literal point if Dollar cost averaging is that you put in the same amount each regardless of it being a bull or a bear market.

The fact he put in the same amount in a bull market shows that he knows what he is doing and not chasing a climbing market by pushing in extra funds and increasing his risk.

Give your nonsense a rest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

An interesting video released by 'Guy' yesterday on why he thinks the USA allowing EFTs related to BTC will propel the price this year, I'll see can I find it and post. I don't understand all of what he said but looks promising

I think a US ETF would be a long term game changer in the way it would effectively be a clear acknowledgment from one of the US financial regulators that Bitcoin is a legit asset (I.e. it would ease fears of government bans).

But in terms of short term accessibility and capital flow into Bitcoin I am not sure it would be as important as it would have been a couple of years ago. There are now dozens of options for individuals to purchase crypto in an easy way from a company they trust, and for institutions there are multiple investment trusts, ETPs, and ETFs available internationally (as well as recognised institutional-grade crypto trading desks and custodians if an institution wants to hold the actual asset rather than shares in a fund).

• Advertisement

Yeah I lurk here a lot and it's infinitely better than reddit's echo chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

My portfolio is up 90% since I began last summer . mainly due to the tips and advice on here. All the genuine lad and ladies here will tell you to DYOR and you have to, my biggest gainers are from coins that have real life applications and have strong support across lots of online communities. I got into Theta, siacoin and Vet from posts here and they have made me a happy bunny.

My kids college fund thanks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

$THETA is having an average day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Surprised no one is talking about UNI, top 8 now.

I bet many cursing themselves selling that airdrop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Raoul

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Surprised no one is talking about UNI, top 8 now.

I bet many cursing themselves selling that airdrop :pac:

Yep. One of those guys here. Sold at 5 dollars. Bought back in a small bit. It sickens my stomach every time I look at it. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Room1o1

I can't understand how bitcoin is compared to gold constantly. I understand it's a store of value based on proof of work and is limited so protected against inflation but to me it's still more similar to a fiat currency in that it requires peoples confidence in it to hold its value.
    Maybe for investors and speculators it's similar to gold in the short term but gold will still be gold in a couple hunder years where's I doubt bitcoin will be around in 500 years.
    I'm I thinking about this the wrong way. Why are alot of people thinking it will hold its value forever or are they just speculators in it for the ride to the top before jumping out which could next week or next decade or longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Room1o1 wrote: »
    I can't understand how bitcoin is compared to gold constantly. I understand it's a store of value based on proof of work and is limited so protected against inflation but to me it's still more similar to a fiat currency in that it requires peoples confidence in it to hold its value.
    Maybe for investors and speculators it's similar to gold in the short term but gold will still be gold in a couple hunder years where's I doubt bitcoin will be around in 500 years.
    I'm I thinking about this the wrong way. Why are alot of people thinking it will hold its value forever or are they just speculators in it for the ride to the top before jumping out which could next week or next decade or longer.

Surely you can say the very same about gold, to me anyways a gold billet is nothing more than a heavy shiny lump of metal that I cannot really do much at all with, other than hope that everyone's belief in it is higher the day I sell against the day I bought it. Bitcoin certainly has a much shorter and more volatile history than gold, but otherwise it's not much different, it's simple a digital version of gold, limited supply and it certainly cannot be manipulated in the same manner a central bank can print fiat currencies if they want. Do I believe that it will hold its value forever, unlikely, however I know for a fact that a fiat currency in 20years time will be guaranteed to be worth less than it is today. Does that mean I want to put all my cash into BTC, hell no, however I will happily use it as a store of part my wealth in a well diversified portfolio of mine, that will also include fiat, shares and property alongside other assets.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Surely you can say the very same about gold, to me anyways a gold billet is nothing more than a heavy shiny lump of metal that I cannot really do much at all with, other than hope that everyone's belief in it is higher the day I sell against the day I bought it. Bitcoin certainly has a much shorter and more volatile history than gold, but otherwise it's not much different, it's simple a digital version of gold, limited supply and it certainly cannot be manipulated in the same manner a central bank can print fiat currencies if they want. Do I believe that it will hold its value forever, unlikely, however I know for a fact that a fiat currency in 20years time will be guaranteed to be worth less than it is today. Does that mean I want to put all my cash into BTC, hell no, however I will happily use it as a store of part my wealth in a well diversified portfolio of mine, that will also include fiat, shares and property alongside other assets.

Fiat will definitely suffer inflation over the years (bring back the gold standard lol joking I know it's limitations in creating wealth).

Gold is a physical element (Au) with great properties and uses including as a store of value which is also why it's worth so much through history.
    geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

Bitcoin is proof that a very hard calculation was done and the answer is put on a Blockchain and sold based on what people believe it to be worth similar to fiat.

Using bitcoin in a diversified portfolio is good right now but is it actually worth anything to anyone other than speculators/investors?

Personally I think bitcoin has quite a high cost to the environment and will eventually become too costly to keep the network running plus will receive very bad press soon from the eco crowd.

When the 24 million calculations are completed where's the incentive to keep turning on the computers than run the network? Transaction fees will need to be quite high to cover the electricity and equipment cost. Gold just sits there not rusting or polluting.

Other cryptos have improved on these issues where bitcoin can't. Smart contracts will be so useful very soon. This is why I'm concerned for some who compared it to gold I would compare them to tulips.

Gold mining is potentially highly toxic, often involving considerable quantities of arsenic and it's not remotely CO2 neutral to mine and purify. After that it's ok.

I'm very happy with my share of tulips. That's the thing with etherium and it's ilk - very soon now someone is bound to want some for something.

If you're name was John Doe you might have gotten less help but it was all good information.

Remember everyone here is here to make money and not necessarily to help you.
    You could lose a load of money just because you took information online.

2000s buy bank shares and houses..

• Advertisement

Gold mining is potentially highly toxic, often involving considerable quantities of arsenic and it's not remotely CO2 neutral to mine and purify. After that it's ok.

I'm very happy with my share of tulips. That's the thing with etherium and it's ilk - very soon now someone is bound to want some for something.

Bitcoin does has its place and popularised the Blockchain which with smart contracts will change our world.

However the gold compassion seems to me to be wishful and part of me feels it's people who are invested in it who want it to be like gold rather than it bing like gold. Hope it keeps its value but it does have its issues to overcome

Pretty much every store of wealth requires confidence.
    If there's no confidence, there's no trade, if there's no trade there's no value.
    BTC and Gold could both exist in 500. BTC can exist in hardcopy.
    Existence has nothing to do with value.
    Why are alot of people thinking it will hold its value forever or are they just speculators in it for the ride to the top before jumping out which could next week or next decade or longer.
    Who mentioned holding value forever?
    Gold is a physical element (Au) with great properties and uses including as a store of value

A rock in a field is a physical and is worthless. We are surrounded by elements that hold no value.
    Gold had physical properties. As do all elements. Being a store of value is not a physical property. It's a decision that people made centuries ago. It's stable, as it's been a standard for a long time. But it there is no real reason for it.

Pretty much every store of wealth requires confidence.
    If there's no confidence, there's no trade, if there's no trade there's no value.

BTC and Gold could both exist in 500. BTC can exist in hardcopy.
    Existence has nothing to do with value.

Who mentioned holding value forever?

A rock in a field is a physical and is worthless. We are surrounded by elements that hold no value.
    Gold had physical properties. As do all elements. Being a store of value is not a physical property. It's a decision that people made centuries ago. It's stable, as it's been a standard for a long time. But it there is no real reason for it.

Ture the proof of work can be in a hard copy but then it's not on a Blockchain and could be copied. The Blockchain declares the owner.

Maybe I am looking at its comparison with gold it the wrong way as gold isn't really brought either but certifcates of gold which could be compared to certificate of proof of work.

Both require lots of effort to create in gold's case it needs a couple of supernovas. There are reasons gold is stable and a stardard for so long. However this does not mean bitcoin won't either hold its value as long as gold has. Gold though can't be superseded unless material science has some kind of breakthrough or if a famine happend then you would happily give up gold for a few seeds.

But gold and bitcoin differ as other cryptos are already competing with it which have greater potential. Bitcoin has a lead on all of them and it seems that lead is due to it been first and more brought into than the others kinda like how a fiat currency has a buy in to value rather than a physical one.

I do think bitcoin could one day become the gold standard of digital currencies as in not the one used by the people on a day to day badis but as store of value to base other cryptos off. But that's not where it is right now and might not get there either. That's why I feels the gold compassion are speculators hoping it gets there. Maybe comparing it to tulips is harsh but comparing it to gold is then optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

The whole "Bitcoin is harming the environment" thing is a pretty weak argument IMO. You can mine Bitcoin solely on renewable energy. In fact, it will have no choice but to go that way. Which actually opens the door to many developing countries or remote places to have a go at it. It's one of those rare cases where you can actually bring the work to the energy.

Can't do that with Gold.

Rob2D wrote: »
    The whole "Bitcoin is harming the environment" thing is a pretty weak argument IMO. You can mine Bitcoin solely on renewable energy. In fact, it will have no choice but to go that way. Which actually opens the door to many developing countries or remote places to have a go at it. It's one of those rare cases where you can actually bring the work to the energy.

Can't do that with Gold.

It's not my argument though just saw news articles in the last few weeks about the network using as much power as the Netherlands and one miner in Iran uses the power generated from a single power station. Once the noise on this type of thing starts it doesn't go away. Other crypto use far less energy and bitcoin could be considered the fossil fuel of crypto not the renewable of cryptos.

Also bitcoin requires very expensive hardware which others don't. For these reasons once all coins are mined the only way to keep the network running is big transaction fees or subscription fees. Kind of like bank charges.

Btw renewable engery costs money too

Ture the proof of work can be in a hard copy but then it's not on a Blockchain and could be copied. The Blockchain declares the owner.
    I was referring to a hardcopy wallet. It wouldn't be hard to preserve and address pair for centuries. tHe arguement hat it won't last 500 years doesn't seam to hold water.
    Maybe I am looking at its comparison with gold it the wrong way as gold isn't really brought either but certifcates of gold which could be compared to certificate of proof of work.
    I think you are look at gold the wrong way it's self. The value of gold is not an inherent property of god. Just something we decided.
    Gold though can't be superseded unless material science has some kind of breakthrough or if a famine happend then you would happily give up gold for a few seeds.
    Why can't it be superseded. What is stopping that happening?
    Rob2D wrote: »
    The whole "Bitcoin is harming the environment" thing is a pretty weak argument IMO. You can mine Bitcoin solely on renewable energy.

That's a pretty weak defence. Even if BYC was mined 100% with renewables. The energy is consumed, and not available for something else that is using fossil fuels.
    Until the worlds energy supply is 100% renewable and unlimited, energy use is an issue.
    It's not my argument though just saw news articles in the last few weeks about the network using as much power as the Netherlands

There's a question that I'm not sure of the answer to. But I think it's pretty critical.
    Does mining BTC use so much energy because;
    1. It's fundamentally required to use exactly as much as it does, or
    2. It is so lucrative to mine BTC that, there are many people competing in the space.

I've never looked into it. But it's something I've thought of when people are wheeling out the energy argument. But I imagine it's closer to B than A. If 50% of the worlds miners quit tomorrow, the block chain would continue, and the energy drops dramatically.

I can't understand how bitcoin is compared to gold constantly.
    Have a read of Vijay Boyapati's 'The Bullish Case for Bitcoin'. He discusses the characteristics of a store of value and a means of exchange (currency) relative to gold, fiat and bitcoin. You'll see that bitcoin scores well in both categories. Gold is stronger in some characteristics and weaker in others.
    I understand it's a store of value based on proof of work and is limited so protected against inflation but to me it's still more similar to a fiat currency in that it requires peoples confidence in it to hold its value.
    Hmm...no...in the previous sentence you acknowledge that it's very different to fiat currency. Fiat currency implicates inflation and money printing. It's centralised with stakeholders who will always (by and large) resort to money printing. The only thing that fiat is backed by is a gun to your head (in that the powers that be force you to use it). Bitcoin doesn't hold a gun to your head - yet it is slowly increasing in network effect. That should indicate to you that there must be something more to this.
    I can't speak to 500 years - but lets deal with the next few decades - both will be around insofar as I can see.
    The speculator accusation has been around for an age. Of course there are speculators - but it hasn't proven to be a one hit wonder. BTC has been through a number of cycles already. If it's a speculative bubble, can you name a similar speculative bubble that inflates and deflates cyclically? I guess property - but if we use that as the comparison, property doesn't go away, right?
    Fiat will definitely suffer inflation over the years
    Now that's understating things! I can't recall them all but there are some shocking statistical gems which have emerged in the past year. The current Canadian government has overseen more money printing than ALL previous Canadian governments put together. There's one. There are similar stats for the USD, Euro, etc.
    Gold is a physical element (Au) with great properties and uses including as a store of value which is also why it's worth so much through history.
    geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
    Gold gets its value because its finite. So back in the day (and today), gold was/is used for jewelry. There are plenty of ornate rocks in the world - they are equally ornate as jewelry. The only reason there's greater draw re. gold is because its finite...ergo - its a store of wealth and a display of wealth as jewelry.
    Other use cases (industrial use) only came around in more recent years.
    Over and above all that, bear in mind that gold also has comparative shortcomings as a store of value/means of exchange also...relative to bitcoin.
    Bitcoin is proof that a very hard calculation was done and the answer is put on a Blockchain and sold based on what people believe it to be worth similar to fiat.
    Your pet rock is no different. If it was valued as jewelry - then its price would reflect that. It's price is far, far in excess of that use case and reflects its use case gathering dust in vaults around the world (as a store of value).
    Bitcoin has utility in its own right - such as the ability to transact it digitally, the ability to cross borders with limited risk of confiscation, the ability to act as a decentralised store of value (the gold market as a whole is centralised even if in principal, gold can be self custodied). I said that gold gets its value as its finite yet there is no financial asset on the planet that is more finite than bitcoin. If the gold price increases, then greater resources are thrown into extracting gold. That can't happen with bitcoin.
    Using bitcoin in a diversified portfolio is good right now but is it actually worth anything to anyone other than speculators/investors?
    See above. Of course theres a speculation involved there. The charge has been that this is a fickle speculation and that btc would fall away by the wayside. Maybe that will still happen but remember it's not without utility. It offers greater utility in many respects than gold. Gold can't act as a means of exchange. Whilst btc cant be used right now for microtransactions, it can be used as a settlement layer (think Fedwire) for real time settlement of large amounts. It's a base layer - on top of which other layers can and are being built. eg. lightning network.
    How long does btc need to be around until you discard that notion of it being a fickle speculation? What does it's market cap need to be? Are you aware that its network effect has been growing each and every year of its existence?
    Personally I think bitcoin has quite a high cost to the environment
    A curse on the lazy, unprofessional journo's who have convinced you of this based on their tabloid/clickbait 'bitcoin uses more energy than country X' articles.
    You realise that gaming accounts for more energy use than bitcoin? If so, where is the faux outrage? To my mind, there's far more utility for society in a decentralised global, permissionless, uncensorable, real-time final settlement system by comparison with gaming (if we have to go down the road of playing God as regards what people are entitled to use energy for). The current banking system uses far more energy. The US xmas lighting bill costs more than a central american country's energy spend (I think it's El Salvador).

and will eventually become too costly to keep the network running
    The earth might also get hit by a meteorite a 100 years from now - should we give up and commit suicide now? Maybe you're right but that's quite a distance off. Secondly, maybe big ass transaction fees can be justified as it will be a base layer - on top of which other payment/settlement layers will be built out (including those that facilitate micro-payments).
    plus will receive very bad press soon from the eco crowd.
    Let's resume our energy discussion then. So back to bitcoin vs. gaming (and all other energy intensive activities). You realise that bitcoin mining has a far higher renewable energy input in its energy mix than gaming or other activities? That's because that unlike those other activities, if a segment of miners tap into the cheapest of energy then, the rest of them are uncompetitive and will probably go bust. That's not the case with those other activities. Bitcoin mining is driving innovation as regards the pursuit of the cheapest energy on the planet.
    When the 24 million calculations are completed where's the incentive to keep turning on the computers than run the network?
    See above.
    Gold just sits there not rusting or polluting.
    You're joking right? Have you any idea of the horrendous environmental damage that is caused via gold mining? Lets think about the process in first principles. If aliens arrived and we explained to them that we expend immense resources and environmental damage in extracting a pet rock from the earth which for the most part sits in a vault gathering dust, do you think these visitors would get the impression that they had discovered intelligent life!?

Do you know how much it costs to transport gold and to custody gold? Please factor all of those costs in. I won't even get started on the counterfeiting issue that gold has (google counterfeit gold - and particularly an incident in China last year when millions of $ worth of fraudulent shiny rock was found to be the backing for a plethora of loans).
    Other cryptos have improved on these issues where bitcoin can't.
    Ok, so which crypto is ready to assume the role of bitcoin? BTC has a trillion dollar market cap right now. What market cap does it need to reach escape velocity?
    Maybe you're right but I think that it has already won out through network effect. If ETH is successful in its move to proof of stake, maybe bitcoin will adopt proof of stake - but they shouldn't (and won't) look to do that until it has been used successfully for a decade.
    Smart contracts will be so useful very soon.
    I have no doubt. I think there's far greater potential in that space. To me, it's not quite in the bag yet but probably ethereum is the category winner in this regard. However, bear in mind that btc is limited by design in what it can achieve. This is deliberate. It has one job and it's already doing it.
    I can well believe that ETH will be far more disruptive (goodbye wallstreet) than bitcoin - but to me they don't compete (and I hate that there's this perennial sniping between projects).
    I would compare them to tulips.
    Then you need to go back and look at the history of that episode. Two questions...
    1. How long did Tulipmania go on for?
    2. Compare bitcoin and tulips against the characteristics of what makes for a decent store of value or means of exchange. There's NO comparison.
    Once the noise on this type of thing starts it doesn't go away.
    You mean that misinformation can continue? Of that we are in agreement. The whole energy debate had disappeared but has re-emerged once again with the lazy uninformed narrative that goes with that.
    Other crypto use far less energy and bitcoin could be considered the fossil fuel of crypto not the renewable of cryptos.
    Other crypto projects emerged that claimed to solve certain shortcomings of btc. In doing so, they had various shortcomings of their own. We should never get complacent but the btc network is the most robust blockchain network that exists. If another network can prove itself over a decade, maybe it will take bitcoins place or maybe bitcoin will implement its algo.
    As regards your reference to renewables, I think you're getting a bit confused. Bitcoin mining continues to utilise a greater proportion of renewable energy year on year.....driven by the pursuit of the cheapest energy on the planet...which is more likely to be unwanted/unused green energy.
    Btw renewable engery costs money too
    Ergo, bitcoin has considerable imputs and this energy input is converted into monetary energy. I guess it's not backed by nothing afterall then?

That's a pretty weak defence. Even if BYC was mined 100% with renewables. The energy is consumed, and not available for something else that is using fossil fuels.
    Until the worlds energy supply is 100% renewable and unlimited, energy use is an issue.
    Firstly, this critique for the most part stems from folk who can't see any tangible utility in bitcoin. If that is how someone sets out in their consideration of bitcoin energy use, then it is no surprise of the conclusion they arrrive at - ultimately.
    I have no time for anyone who singles out btc mining and never has a word to say about gaming or activities they themselves engage in which are non-essential yet damaging to the planet.
    Finally, if btc used both stranded and renewable energy that couldn't be repurposed (because its harnessed in the back of beyond where there is no other use case for it), would you still have an issue with btc mining?

Firstly, this critique for the most part stems from folk who can't see any tangible utility in bitcoin. If that is how someone sets out in their consideration of bitcoin energy use, then it is no surprise of the conclusion they arrrive at - ultimately.
    That’s exactly my point. It’s a flawed argument, and a flawed defence.
    If I’m going to criticise the first, which I did above, then I should also criti
    Finally, if btc used both stranded and renewable energy that couldn't be repurposed (because its harnessed in the back of beyond where there is no other use case for it), would you still have an issue with btc mining?
    I never said I had an issue with BTC mining.

I have in the past pointed out the localised volume of hydro energy in China, the dams at capacity and the fact btc mining is dominant in those areas.

I was referring to a hardcopy wallet. It wouldn't be hard to preserve and address pair for centuries. tHe arguement hat it won't last 500 years doesn't seam to hold water.

If locked away in a wallet somewhere yeah it does still exists but it wouldn't be used so couldn't see a demand for it in that case.

I think you are look at gold the wrong way it's self. The value of gold is not an inherent property of god. Just something we decided.

I can't agree, gold is very important for lots of applications.

Why can't it be superseded. What is stopping that happening?

What other element has exactly 79 electtons and hence the properties that go with that election configuration?........

There's a question that I'm not sure of the answer to. But I think it's pretty critical.
    Does mining BTC use so much energy because;
    1. It's fundamentally required to use exactly as much as it does, or
    2. It is so lucrative to mine BTC that, there are many people competing in the space.

I've never looked into it. But it's something I've thought of when people are wheeling out the energy argument. But I imagine it's closer to B than A. If 50% of the worlds miners quit tomorrow, the block chain would continue, and the energy drops dramatically.

If 50% of miners quite tomorrow not many would compare bitcoin to gold, actually they would start the tulip compassion.

It appears the bitcoin = gold is coming from people invested in bitcoin
    They will not consider that it can be replaced. As an example smart contract cryptos actually have much more uses (see programable money and IOT) they also use far less power, can be mined on cpu's not gpu's.

It's not right to compared bitcoin to an atom of gold with a unique structure which if recreated in that configuration is still gold and very useful.

Bitcoin has a use but not an unique one! It can be copied and bettered which has already happened in terms to technology, finance hasn't caught up yet due to people been heavily invested in bitcoin that's the main reason for its price right now. Not it's properties or uniqueness but it's buy in value by investors like tulips once.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement