Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Truckermal wrote: »
    Is said Whale stacking BTC?:confused:

I dunno what the whale is doing but if I have to try an interpret that metaphysical codology...

Throw me a brick rather than a life buoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is said Whale stacking BTC?:confused:

If you had 79,900 bitcoin, would you be stacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you had 79,900 bitcoin, would you be stacking?

Instaste would probably say yes definitely but we have no idea what you are on about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

That laughter sound may be coming from the great Pyramid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

My head hurts

• Advertisement

Instaste would probably say yes definitely but we have no idea what you are on about...

That is the number of BTC held in an address Dr Craig Wright alleged he owns, though further research indicates he might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

And why should we give 2 sh1tes if he does or not????

Think I'm going to open that Hennessey now...

Has anyone ever seen Craig Wright and Instaste in the same room?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Has anyone ever seen Craig Wright and Instaste in the same room?

Instaste would offer Craig Wright to buy some Sats off him for his weekly allocation.

Craig Wright would mumble and decline, explaining that he has unfortunately lost the keys to a whale wallet which, he assures it, definitely belongs to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Bob24 wrote: »
    Instaste would offer Craig Wright to buy some Sats off him for his weekly allocation.

Craig Wright would mumble and decline, explaining that he has unfortunately lost the keys to a whale wallet which, he assures it, definitely belongs to him.

Instaste better lawyer up if he goes into that room! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

In war times, the reliable gold investment stands strong while currencies tend to falter.

Reading these recent links below, a war is not as far fetched as it might seem but is in fact a reality in waiting, especially with Trump probably to go out with a bang.

I wonder what people’s opinions are with crypto, it is a currency but it’s not fiat like gold.
    Would a war increase bitcoins value or kill it off?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/us/politics/trump-iran-nuclear.amp.html

http://news.sky.com/story/pm-to-announce-extra-163165bn-in-defence-spending-biggest-investment-since-cold-war-12135956

I obviously don’t want a war to happen to get rich but rather the idea of securing wealth in war times would be a good idea worth discussing?

Green Mile wrote: »
    In war times, the reliable gold investment stands strong while currencies tend to falter.

Reading these recent links below, a war is not as far fetched as it might seem but is in fact a reality in waiting, especially with Trump probably to go out with a bang.

I wonder what people’s opinions are with crypto, it is a currency but it’s not fiat like gold.
    Would a war increase bitcoins value or kill it off?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/us/politics/trump-iran-nuclear.amp.html

http://news.sky.com/story/pm-to-announce-extra-163165bn-in-defence-spending-biggest-investment-since-cold-war-12135956

I obviously don’t want a war to happen to get rich but rather the idea of securing wealth in war times would be a good idea worth discussing?

No it wouldn't.

Jesse Felder is a pretty known and respected guy in the world of investment and macroeconomics. I read his weekly newsletter as it sometimes gives pretty good food for thoughts.

But yesterday’s one about Bitcoin is so ill-informed that I have to post it: https://thefelderreport.com/2020/11/18/please-stop-asking-me-about-bitcoin/

He seems to seriously believe that hard forks are like printing new bitcoins, and he confuses exchange hacks with the protocol itself being hacked.

Almost fell off my chair reading this stuff from a guy which I know is a smart analyst. Either he hasn’t spent much time researching Bitcoin, or he has a natural very negative bias (possibly both).

So while the content of the article isn’t too interesting as it relies on non-factual statements, for me the fact that a renown macro analyst can publish it in 2020 and feel fine about it was a reminder that crypto still is a small niche.

Jesse Felder is a pretty known and respected guy in the world of investment and macroeconomics. I read his weekly newsletter as it sometimes gives pretty good food for thoughts.
    I'd never heard of the guy but I've just read his 'letter'. The first thing I would say to you ... You clearly know that he's as far out as a lighthouse as you know much more than he does about bitcoin. Imagine if your reading something of his where you're not familiar with the subject! Keep that in mind if you decide to keep checking in with his thoughts.

Was this guy in a coma since 2017? These are all the old tired (and most importantly..) misunderstood arguments from back in the day. Firstly bitcoin has never been hacked. What sort of a moron comes out with this stuff? Sure - there have been issues with hacks of centralised exchanges - but that's the digital equivalent of someone robbing a bank. It happens. What it doesn't do is call into question the integrity of the bitcoin network itself.

One of my favorites...there are many bitcoins. We had the hard forks and bitcoin won. BCH is sitting there doing nothing. Bitcoin has a market cap today of $330 billion. The scarcity is real and this tired old argument has no life left in it.

Other cryptos are superior - we keep hearing this one. Whenever I ask which ones, nobody answers. We all discovered back then that you can address some of bitcoins faults - but rarely without dropping some other characteristic. This might help for certain use cases for sure - but it doesn't make bitcoin redundant.

Recommendation - find better analysts to follow. :D

I'd never heard of the guy but I've just read his 'letter'. The first thing I would say to you ... You clearly know that he's as far out as a lighthouse as you know much more than he does about bitcoin. Imagine if your reading something of his where you're not familiar with the subject! Keep that in mind if you decide to keep checking in with his thoughts.

[...]

Recommendation - find better analysts to follow. :D

I'll start with saying that listing to many opinions is always good (even bright people can be wrong about some things while being brilliant at others, and seeing it when they are wrong and understating why is quite useful info).

So yes of course agree with all of your rebuttals of his arguments.

But the fact that he is so wrong is precisely why I posted this.

If you listen to the best Macro content on the internet (Macrovoices, the Grant Williams Podcast, RealVision, etc) he is a regular and respected guest on most of them. The guy really has a track record and is respected by the best people.

My point being that if this type of player can still make such a silly assessment in 2020, Bitcoin still is way under the radar for a good bit of the finance industry (in a way reading this was a wake-up call to me as lately I have probably been following too many people who understand it).

My point being that if this type of player can still make such a silly assessment in 2020, Bitcoin still is way under the radar for a good bit of the finance industry (in a way reading this was a wake-up call to me as lately I have probably been following too many people who understand it).
    That's very true. And I get what you're saying re. listening to the contrarian view. I try to do that - but in instances where they're militant in their view (the Krugman's and Roubini's of this world) I find that hard to stomach.

I try to do that - but in instances where they're militant in their view (the Krugman's and Roubini's of this world) I find that hard to stomach.

True (and I share your pain about these :-)). When the people in question are powerful and influential it still is good to understand their way of thinking, but once you have identified that you strongly disagree with them and you know why, agree with you there is no need to torture yourself with listening to them too often :-)

The best exemple of this for me recently is Stephanie Kelton (who seems to be one
    of the most influentials proponents of MMT in the US). My ears are bleeding when I hear her saying that massive money printing to fund government spendings is the best way to go and won't cause any issues (she adds some caveats, but not very convincing to me). But I forced myself to endure listening to her a few times as (sadly IMO) the policies she is recommending are coming to most Western countries. And to come back on topic, that is one reason to be bullish on Bitcoin though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's nice to see BTC bounce off that 17.4k mark a couple of times and pop back above 18k.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Eth touching distance of 500.

Still a mile off its ATH, so maybe a long run to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,872 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Need to have a serious think about when to sell my ETH this time, it's not moving to Portugal money but it will push me over the line into being a homeowner with a few tenants paying my bills in 2021 which in this country counts as being rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

6 wrote: »
    Eth touching distance of 500.

Still a mile off its ATH, so maybe a long run to go

it looks to be shaping up for a nice parabolic run, alt season looks to be imminent

they generally have them after a BTC run in the middle of each quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Alts starting to kick into gear, albeit mainly Defi and new stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Just did my Christmas shopping online with my Binance card with the profits I made while I was sleeping. :-)

Dante7 wrote: »
    Just did my Christmas shopping online with my Binance card with the profits I made while I was sleeping. :-)

Just a friendly reminder before you spend too many of your coins with the card :-)

https://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoin-pizza-day-celebrating-20-million-pizza-order/

And in all seriousness, I know price action has been nice and is making everyone happy, but my 2 cents is that while there might be short-term pullbacks we are still at the very beginning of this bull cycle, and more than ever it is time to keep a cool head and hodl.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Hi all, I'm still fairly new to all this. I first started buying in around March when the prices all dipped fairly low, using Coinbase. I only invested a few hundred euro as I didn't want to put in more than I could afford to lose as I'm currently in the process of buying a house, and I've almost tripled my money at this stage. I'm considering using most/all of my Christmas bonus from work to invest in some more when I get it in a few weeks. Is there any particular currency you all would recommend? I only found this thread a few days ago and I've been lurking ever since. I see some people saying Etherium would be a good one to invest in.

I've been keeping an eye on Yearn Finance, and regretting not buying some last week as the prices have almost doubled, but a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than me about this said Yearn works a bit differently and there are possibly more risks involved? I dunno, I'm still fairly stupid when it comes to all this.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

Jafin wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm still fairly new to all this. I first started buying in around March when the prices all dipped fairly low, using Coinbase. I only invested a few hundred euro as I didn't want to put in more than I could afford to lose as I'm currently in the process of buying a house, and I've almost tripled my money at this stage. I'm considering using most/all of my Christmas bonus from work to invest in some more when I get it in a few weeks. Is there any particular currency you all would recommend? I only found this thread a few days ago and I've been lurking ever since. I see some people saying Etherium would be a good one to invest in.

I've been keeping an eye on Yearn Finance, and regretting not buying some last week as the prices have almost doubled, but a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than me about this said Yearn works a bit differently and there are possibly more risks involved? I dunno, I'm still fairly stupid when it comes to all this.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

If you are new to this, IMO the best advice is to tell you to stick to Bitcoin (and possibly a small allocation to Ether). I know it sounds less exciting than small coins as a newcomer, but overtime and as you understand the space better, you will probably realise that looking for the "next Bitcoin" isn't really a thing (I am not saying this in a condescending way at all, pretty much everyone goes though that journey).

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

If you are new to this, IMO the best advice is to tell you to stick to Bitcoin (and possibly a small allocation to Ether). I know it sounds less exciting than small coins as a newcomer, but overtime and as you understand the space better, you will probably realise that looking for the "next Bitcoin" isn't really a thing (I am not saying this in a condescending way at all, pretty much everyone goes though that journey).

Of course, I completely understand. I probably should have included what I actually invested in in my post anyway. Most of my investment is in Bitcoin, and I have a small bit in ETH. I have some COMP, XLM and DNT also but they were just free bits from Coinbase. I'm not really the type of person that looks for "get rich quick" things or anything, I'm perfectly happy to bide my time for years and years and (hopefully) watch the investment grow. Thank you for the advice.

If you are in no rush to sell and plan on keeping 4+ years, then I’d naturally recommend Bitcoin. Less exciting than the alts but the fundamentals are there and it’s hard to imagine the price being lower after the next halving than it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Just a friendly reminder before you spend too many of your coins with the card :-)

https://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoin-pizza-day-celebrating-20-million-pizza-order/

And in all seriousness, I know price action has been nice and is making everyone happy, but my 2 cents is that while there might be short-term pullbacks we are still at the very beginning of this bull cycle, and more than ever it is time to keep a cool head and hodl.

Ah, I have my main bags of BTC and LINK locked away in my Trezor. I always like to take some profits during runs like this. This is just from my spot account on Binance and was mainly from $EASY. Second time I've taken taken a chunk from it in the last couple of months and I'll probably dump the lot shortly.

• Advertisement

Weekly DCA stack just now. Unbelievable how few Sats you get now for your FIAT compared to when this thread started, yet still feels cheap personally. Christmas bonus time soon, won't be lumping it all in at once this time however, will continue to DCA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement